MedVet Employee Reviews

Run away
ICU Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAAugust 4, 2019
Poor management, ALWAYS shorthanded, low pay, had pto, but hard to take off due to being shorthanded. Required to be on call, at least twice a month, but refused to pay unless actually called in. Being in icu, even though we took care of the entire hospital's patients from every department, we were treated as trash and looked down upon everyday. High turnover rate during to poor treatment and low pay, and awful hours.
Compassionate and caring team that are like a family
RVT, Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHJuly 23, 2019
Advance medicine, dedicated clinical team that are caring compassionate, fun, and helpful. You could not find another team like mine! Hours are long and we are short staffed which makes it harder.
Pros
Benefits, work environment
Cons
Communication between high level managers and clinical team
Not a friendly or comfortable enviroment
Outpatient tech (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2019
If you like a fast paced enviroment where supervisors frequently complain and do whatever they want this is right up ypur alley. Days where 1 person did the job of 4 and expected to complete treatments with no help. Managment look other way when co.plaints are made. Never recc to anyone to work here.
Pros
Bonus shifts
Cons
Management was horrible, lots of looking over harrasment
Great challenge and skill advancement
Registered Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OHJuly 16, 2019
Great challenge and skill advancement with many opportunities for growth. Work life balance is a severe problem with the nature of critical patient care and RVT shortages.
Trouble in Lexington
Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 16, 2019
There is a reason why they have so many open positions at this location. Schedule will change frequently. You are only valuable when they need you to fill shifts otherwise consider yourself replaceable with unqualified staff. Shifts are never staffed appropriately. Constant turn over for a reason. Pay scale varies greatly between individuals doing the same job.

If you like to gamble take the job.
I should post my resignation letter to explain the TOXICITY of the Dallas location...
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 10, 2019
I quit there due to being talked down to, verbally harranged, & downplayed by some snotty Supervisor I don't remember seeing before- for a sincere letter I wrote asking 1 of the original people I interviewed with & the person who replaced the other who was to be my front end manager (who had bailed before I even started my 3 week venture into anxiety H3LL) for help due to NORMAL HUMAN frustration of not getting the starter training THAT EVERYONE BEFORE ME received at a less hectic location. I decided that Medvet was absolutely (as this new supervisor was fond of repeating while reprimanding me) "the wrong fit" for me.

The predecessors in the role I relinquished lasting only a few weeks SHOULD have been omen enough for me when the girls up front told me DURING my working interview that NO-ONE stays for the CSR position.
But I thought that maybe they were just not willing to work.
I was willing- so much so that when I realized that I was not going to pick up the computer programs as IMMEDIATELY as I should without some side training- I chose be responsible & write my superiors asking for help- because I didn't want to just BAIL like so many others from being COMPLETELY overwhelmed.

Then the Friday (3 weeks after I started) that I write a well detailed communication for my manager (with the words "good luck" at the end of it) about an angry phone customer who wanted a manager RIGHT THEN & COULD HAVE been addressed immediately via phone by the aforementioned supervisor as the actual IN HOUSE MANAGER (since my front end manager wasn't there) yet she dodged picking up the
  more... call & told me to take a message DESPITE the woman DEMANDING to speak to a manager- which irritated the customer even more.
I'd written "good luck" to warn my manager that she'll likely be walking into a buzzsaw when calling the client back, but this supervisor chose to twist the warning into negative territory so I got scolded for the warning I provided.

Nail in the coffin was- after being reprimanded for warning my manager & the asking for help email- when I get blindsided with a lie during this reprimanding- ("When I came in during the outage, you seemed on edge")
which was untrue because, I DIDN'T EVEN START UNTIL THE TUESDAY AFTER Y'ALLS ELECTRICITY WAS FULLY RESTORED- so there's no way in Hades you could have seen me there during the outage!

That sealed the fact that "leadership" in this place is a negative head trip that NO-ONE should have to take.
Caution
LVT (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 30, 2019
High turn over rate. Management makes an extremely poor work environment and there were countless days where I dreaded going into work with fear of being reprimanded for something I had no control over. The technicians and doctors are absolutely fantastic, and the only reason why I stayed as long as I did. Little to no work- life balance. If you work in ER, the schedule is very inconsistent (had easily 20+ schedules over a span of 2+ years) and you work long hours. The only other positive thing about MedVet aside from the techs and doctors is the benefits.
Good work environment and collaboration
Relief Emergency Veterinarian (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJune 25, 2019
As an ER clinic the typical day will vary based on case volume. If needed there are personnel on call to assist during heavy case loads. Coworkers are helpful and knowledgeable.
Don't waste your time
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHMay 1, 2019
MedVet is a joke! The management is ridiculous, petty high school mentally, types. There are some great doctors and some who take advantage of clients. The ER doctors are commissioned based, so some add unnecessary charges on clients bills just to pad their pockets. Management is aware but "we're a business" and aren't concerned. The pay is low and not worth the stress.
Run!
Staff (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 23, 2019
Run far away from this place! Poorly managed. Very high turn over rate. Poor follow through. The doctors and co workers are great the issues lie in who runs the clinic. I can’t wait to find another job. Everyone that currently works here is looking for other oppertunities...since I’m on Indeed sending out applications I may as well write an honest review to shed some light on this toxic place
Pros
Great doctors
Cons
VERY POOR Management
High School Cult
Receiving Technician (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAFebruary 22, 2019
This place is totally like no other! I've worked at other clinics in the area and by far this is the worst. If you are not in the Hospital managers and Doctors crew you are not treated with respect and you are made feel that you are very replaceable I.E. the turn around rate. The turnaround rate is extremely high staff can be very rude due to stress so they'll take it out on each other. Night doctors lack bedside manners. If management was better this would be a splendid place with remarkable benefits. But until it changes from the top this will always be a crummy place.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours short breaks lots of negativity
medical
Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 20, 2019
Very poor management with no sense of work balance and life relationship. There is no consistency with management. They could care less if you stay there and work or leave. Treat employees horrible
Fun Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 8, 2019
A typical work day: 8:00am - 6:00pm 4 days per week
• Greet visitors warmly
• Register Clients/Check-in/out
• Schedule follow-up appointment with appropriate department
• Answering multi-line telephones,
• Guide clients and their pets to exam rooms
• Present and explain fees, including processing payments
• Answer questions regarding products and services
• Manage medical records, charts, reports and correspondence
• Reconcile daily receipts
• Walk clients through euthanasia process when needed
• Keep lobby area clean and tidy
• Clean exam rooms after every visit
• During emergency hours, triage severity upon client arrival and
respond accordingly.
• Work effectively with Vet. Techs and Doctors

What did I learn? People need to be heard with compassion and empathy when they are bringing a sick pet.

Management: Care about their employees and provide a place of understanding when needed.

Workplace Culture: Professional, Medical

The hardest part of the job: Walking clients through the euthanasia process. Then asking for payment right after their pet has been euthanized.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Interacting with the clients and their pets
Pros
Discounts for personal pet
Cons
Long work day
Unlimited Opportunities for Growth & Development
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 1, 2019
I've been an RVT for about 10 years with a few different companies and in general your options for growth are either technician or management. Not everyone has their eyes on management so this can be very frustrating for technicians who just want to grow their skills in different areas. Cue MedVet! I have been so impressed with the care they put into both the development and training of their technicians but also the culture. They take Leadership vs. Management very serious and spend a ton of time on the floor directly supporting their teams however needed while also taking great care to handle all the behind the scenes work (scheduling and such). Communication in a practice this large is key and information is shared in numerous ways: 1 on 1, email, team meeting, all-staff meetings, newsletters, etc. It's some of the best I've ever experienced in the field. There is an actual orientation and onboarding process and actual training procedures that don't just include "sink or swim" like many practices. I know this particular practice hasn't always been the best but in the time I've had the joy of working here, you can tell that the effort has been put in to improve that, as someone from the "outside" who has experienced every type of bad boss and ugly work culture, the effort to make the culture the best it can be really shows. It's not perfect, no practice ever is. But there is little tolerance for drama, constructive feedback is given regularly, and opportunities to grow are numerous, whether that's as a technician in different specialties, Team Lead, Manager, you name it. The  more... company is large with several hospitals but it doesn't feel like you're so far removed that you don't matter. For once that largeness provides more support for each hospital, and not less. I would encourage anyone looking for a change in their career with an upward trajectory, to choose MedVet.  less
Pros
Attention to Work-Life Balance, Benefits, Pay, Support from Leadership, Opportunities for Growth
Toxic
RVT, STL (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJanuary 11, 2019
Run away, now.

Veterinary hospitals as a whole are generally poorly managed, but this place has been taking it to a whole new level for years now.
They promote the WORST, and allow the best to leave.
Insulting pay compared to general practices in the area.
Great clinical staff but the horrid management ruins it all.
Pros
Great clinical staff
Cons
Management, pay, management
Benefits are the only plus
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 20, 2018
Initially this place was the ideal position of advancement for learning technicians and those already with an advanced skill set. Now, it's a cult, that likes to remind people that they are replaceable. The rules will change every 2 weeks and what is originally promised to you, you better get it in writing because that probably will be the last time you hear about it. Almost all of the departments have complaints and their most similar one is probably management. The doctors are some of the most skilled and knowledge able people in the city, the cost to have your animal treated will put you in debt (even with the employee discount), and they will hire just about anyone who the experience of petting a dog. There are about only a quarter of people still there with sufficient technical skills, and the rest are in line to be brain-washed. :)
Benefits
Cons
Great company, not managed well
Doctor STL (shift team lead) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 30, 2017
Medvet is a wonderful establishment, but the management needs so much work. They are not involved and offer zero support to the staff. There is no compassion from management towards staff and every decision is a selfish one. It is rare to actually get a lunch, and very rare to get out at your scheduled time
Client Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAAugust 19, 2015
Management was a young girl 25 years old who wanted to be friends with the girls that has been there for a few years. The girls would talk about each other behind their backs, very unprofessional place to work. Need a more experience manager and someone with a little age or more mature to handle the position.

As far as how they treated the pets it was ok can be better.
Pros
The money wasn't that bad
Cons
Worst place I ever worked for.
A good Job
Veterinary Aide/Exam room technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 19, 2015
Its a great job, with a great work environment. I enjoy working there. Getting to work with animals is great. Its always great to see the look on the owners face when we tell them that their pet is going to be alright.
Time Flys
KENNEL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OhioAugust 25, 2014
I worked as a Kennel Tech and learned a lot. I washed and folded a lot of laundry. Walked patients outside, helped vet tech's. I enjoyed my time there and would work there again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MedVet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9