Meijer Employee Reviews

Productive fun enviroment
Level 1 Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 17, 2018
Team work was a common theme as was learning together of names and basic dosages of medications. Questions were encouraged, always had help with giving quizzes to remember names of generic and name brand drugs. A family enviroment.
Stressful
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 17, 2018
Work you like a dog bever compliment you on a good job. Fight you on your vacation days. Union was not fair at all. I could careless about that job. Never again
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Lack of advance
use to be a great company now it just a bad place to work
clerk (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHSeptember 17, 2018
Been there for 20 years use to be a great company now it just a place I show up to make a living. Not enough people to get the job done. always get angry customers for not having the product on the shelves.
Pros
if you stay long a enought you can make ok money
Cons
Just bad Mangment
Working at meijer
Inventory coordinater (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 17, 2018
Its taught me a lot about customer service, and just working for the company in general. I give 100% in my job, and it teaches you to train for management.
Pros
25 cent raise every 700 hours
Cons
Not long enough lunches. Only get 30 mins.
Not a place for a career, especially now
Utility Worker and gm stock (Former Employee) –  North Muskegon, MISeptember 17, 2018
Worked here for about a year and left in 2016. The work environment was decent. Obviously you'd get the occasional rowdy customer, employee or manager. It's very political at times, and there were days were the store would be under turmoil if the store director would not receive their bonus based on cutting hours of their employees. Union contracts were not promising because, at the time, you did not have to be promised 40 hours a week if you had full time status. Full time was also difficult to get as it is. Pay was not good for team members, and there is pay cap.
Pros
Breaks and lunches, fair work environment
Cons
Lack of advancement; all status, low pay for team members, lot of cutbacks
Meijer is the best big box retailer to work for.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lenox, MISeptember 17, 2018
Once Full-time you are given a very nice benefits package and scheduled raises until you reach the salary cap. Meijer will periodically change the salary cap and increase it.
It is retail and the hours worked will follow the demand of shoppers.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Pay is fair but for skilled workers like Systems should be better.
Hours aren't consistent
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Midland, MISeptember 17, 2018
If u don't mind working so many different hour shifts be my guest. They schedule you 4 to 5 hours but make you stay most nights past the 4 to 5 hour mark.
Pros
Learn new things.
Cons
Hours are never consistent
Not good
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WISeptember 16, 2018
Co workers were awesome.They let others slide on moving cases without firing them.But will fire someone who never called off and was lay sometime!!!Bery discriminative company on a whole!!!You can be a good worker and they will still let you go!Innever left early or anything .vAs
Pros
People mid riders
Cons
Pay managers, system
Relaxed
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 16, 2018
There was always something to do to keep you busy. They pay good and give you the hours you deserve. You get 2 breaks and a half hour lunch daily. Hardest part of the job was weighing and cutting exactly what the customer ordered.
Pros
You get a meijer card that gives you a certain percentage off all meijer items
Cons
N/a
Laughing with co workers and I loved being a cashier dealing with customers
Cashier and SC (Former Employee) –  Alma, MISeptember 16, 2018
I loved being competitive as a cashier trying to be the fastest but yet do it right was great. Talking to customers hearing their day is exciting. I also love being in charge so being an SC was a great job for me.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
Do Not Work Here!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHSeptember 16, 2018
Don't work here unless you really don't care about food safety-food is left out on the counters in the deli for hours at a time and no one seems to care and if you say anything about it, you're the one that's wrong. Forget about training-it won't really happen. This place still allows/follows 1950's gender stereotypical roles i.e.-in the deli, women aren't 'allowed' to take out the trash but are encouraged to keep up with the dishes and only men are hired to work in the hot deli side-apparently men are the only ones that can handle the fryers and cleaning them out. If you have a problem with another employee don't waste your time writing up a complaint-the squeaky wheel gets ignored or fired here and there are no repercussions for bad behavior. In fact, good employees get let go while the bad ones get promoted and have better job security. They follow a point system for absences/tardiness but won't call it that. You literally cannot be even 1 minute late and if you're late 4 times you are fired. They do not follow typical firing procedures either-no verbal/write-up x's 3 then fired...you're just fired with no warning and no chance to improve behavior. I could go on and on but i hope you get the picture. Worst place i have ever worked in my life. There are definitely better places to work. I would rather dump and clean porta-potties all day in the hot sun than work at Meijers!
Pros
Weekly pay-they offer a pay card for those w/out bank accts
Cons
Read my review...lots of reasons to not wk here
i dotn recomend it
Receving Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ionia, MISeptember 15, 2018
this should be a temp spot at best for some ppl no real money can be made unless chosen for a lead spot and to get there is a cut throat process that not many can do.
Pros
partime
Cons
poor pay
Productive fun workplace
MERCHANDISING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 15, 2018
The internship program at Meijer was a great summer experience. Interns were given a task of completing one large project throughout the summer and then present to upper level management at the end. It was rewarding to work on a project that would be able to impact the companies bottom line.
Stressful environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHSeptember 15, 2018
I typical day at work would be major attitude from the Lead. If she didn't like you she would treat you unfairly. Management didn't do anything about it. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.
fun and nice place
3rd Shift Stocker (Current Employee) –  Okemos, MISeptember 15, 2018
management is good , team members are reliable , neat and secure place to work , salary is really competitive , overtime payment is 1.5 x than regular hours .
My experience at Meijer
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MISeptember 14, 2018
I worked 40 hours a week. I interacted with customers, team members, and managers daily. We interacted personally as well as professionally. I learned a lot of things from this company regarding the ins and outs of the different parts of my job and even some things outside of my job description. I got along with all of my coworkers and managers. The hardest part of my job would be making a customer happy without going against company policy. The most enjoyable part is seeing the repeat customers and being able to help them even if they were not my actual customers to work with.
Hard place to work
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Swartz Creek, MISeptember 14, 2018
Meijer is a hard place to work because if you are a utility worker just starting out with the company, you are sometimes the very last person to go on your brakes, you sometimes have to go ask when your break is in order to get a break and if you clock out late then that is a point against you.
love the people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oswego, ILSeptember 14, 2018
most of the colleagues are great to work with, the work is not. there seems to have small little groups that get away with anything. making it a little unpleasant to work.
Pros
low stress.
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Very stressful and cut throat
Cashier/Cash office associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MISeptember 14, 2018
Worked for Meijer for 12 years. FMLA was not available at the time and my mom had leukemia. She passed away and when I came back after her funeral I was written up for missing work. The union did not help me. I also had jury duty and Meijer never paid their share. Horrible working conditions. Never knowing if you were going home on time and when they would let you go home. I was a cashier and worked in the cash office, cashier work and filled in at other departments when someone called in. Treated terribly by managers. Seemed like when you made more per hour, they wanted to get rid of you. The part timers had great schedules while the full timers had terrible schedules. I worked 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. or 8 pm to 4;30 am. They were very nice when I started and got progressively worse over the years. I had a friend the had a heart attack at work and they did not want to do anything to help her till she passed out. I will not shop there after the write up for my moms funeral and being told it was a business day and they needed me at work !!!!
Pros
Cons
See above
My experience at Meijer
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Belleville, MISeptember 13, 2018
Overall I was fairly content working for Meijer. The management was very helpful during my training and they are pleasant to work with. I love the benefits (health insurance and other perks). I learned new skills such as production and maintaining companies quota on the orders required for that particular day. The difficult part of the job was working extra hours after a ten hour day, (which was often). I am seeking an eight hour work day at this present time.
Pros
The experience I gained and the benifits.
Cons
Extended hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meijer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K
42K
32K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

53out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Meijer.