Meijer

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

As a retail establishment its a good place to work

Loved the people I work with. Management was self centered and self promoting at the cost of hourly employees. Also was forced to participate in paying union fees for a union that was not very good at backing its members.

Way to much favortism.

ManagementIn general, managers at Meijer suck. They don't do their job and sit in the Cafe half the day giggling loudly like high school children. Deli team leader was always with her boss instead of helping in the deli. They would not hold people accountable that weren't doing their jobs. Instead they would punish the rest of us and make us work ridiculous hours.

Nice job

I loved my job but the management had a cliches. If you didn’t have the right last name or the good looks you didn’t get anywhere but where you started. You could t complain about any mistreatment because all the bosses where related or best of friends.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Sucky management

Office politics!!

Not all but a lot of followers, promoted into a leadership roles. Most managers are afraid of negative feedback so they don't address/correct the issue. Higher management don't back up the store leadership either.

Bad

I was told when I was hired that they worked well with schedules and that I would be getting 32-38hrs a week. I tried to change my availability and was told not till after the holidays. My hours then got cut because my availability wasn’t big enough which i tried to change. I then put my 2 weeks in and was asked for a specific end date and they scheduled past my end date. I was not pleased with management at this job.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Worked with a great bunch of gals. Pretty laid back.long as we did our jobs. Always looked forward to work my days went by fast. I learned a lot about cheese.and slicing making salads. .the hardest part I think was u never know how much to cook. But people are pretty good about a fresh batch of chicken or mozz sticks.

Good job to work at.

Each area as training specifically for that area. Management willing to answer any questions you have about your job. Other team members welling to help.

Great environment an good people

Learned a lot an had very friendly coworker. Lots of opportunities to try different positions around the store an had good people to train with,was a very good experience.

Not pleased with schedule

Meijer has a non consistent work schedule so it is hard to plan around the schedule. The schedule is posted one week prior to work and most time the hours vary.

Good Pay

Flexible scheduling, average pay, benefits for part time employees. They cross train to other departments which has its benefits and its downfalls. Nice people to work with.

good job, good company

good company to be employed at. lots of training. Enjoyed all the people I worked with, including the management. The job could be daunting at times. very busy.

Fast paced and competitive

Part time's typical day includes organizing products and assisting customers, cleaning area, stocking products. Learned how to operate multiple devices, cash register and scanners. Management was terrible and would try to get you in trouble over nothing. Culture was okay, most people keep to themselves. Hardest part of the job was managing work stress and management. Easiest was helping customers and working with products.

Pros

Slight discount helps a little, meet new people, learn work skills

Cons

No benefits, bad management depending on your store, stressful customers

It's retail

It's a great place to work starting your foot in the door of employment, the greeters have been there some of the longest, so they are always willing to help everyone, but dealing with people here really drains on your soul. A good place to start young, but can't imagine staying here forever.

Unsatisfactory

I worked all over the Defiance Store, made sure I knew every job I could get my hands on. Excelled, filled in, helped out. Was passed over for every advancement I asked to be considered for. Was suffocated by the horrifically toxic environment, it was constant misery. There were definite instances of abuse and harassment from several members of management even as a union store. I do not typically jump jobs my two plus years at Meijer were the worst, the one job I would never go back to. Serious problem w like 75% of the management staff at that store.

Pros

Cons

unsympathetic scheduling, deceitful and abusive management

busy

The management was awful in my opinion there were a few managers that i really enjoyed. But the higher up managers also made up do things we didn't have time to do and were rude and would not listen to our side,

Third shift greeter position

Position apparently was a " one time" thing by management. I was mostly alone upfront in the store by the doors which is now not really safe. Seasonal job with just a few hours that had me leave due to that & lack of respect for my position.

Pros

Got to meet/help lots of people

Cons

Felt " unsafe" & was not being able to keep hours given. Store kept cutting my hours.

A reliable work place

They care for their customers, but they don't have the best management. Getting enough hours isn't that great. But they will do their best to work with your schedule.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Not enough hours

a job

Some of the manager there are great people and love to work with you and help you out while others are rude when you need something or need help with something.

Great coworkers, terrible management

I would stand behind a register all day and sometimes make small talk with customers. I learned how to deal with mean/rude customers and how to decline a sale to an intoxicated person who wanted to purchase more alcohol. Management was terrible, they did not care about their employees or give any notice to people's availability. A few people got treated much better than everyone else (Missed shifts and did not get points taken off, would be rude to customers and nothing was said to them, etc). The hardest part was getting used to my schedule being all sorts of hours, any shift. The most enjoyable would definitely be my coworkers, they were very pleasant to work with and I did not meet one that I didn't like.

Pros

Great starting pay rate, employee discount

Cons

productive and fun place to work

worked with many fun people who were team members but management changes what they say and do depending on who you talk to

coworkers

Majority of the co-works worked and was pleasent. The TL were just bad mouthing, and putting down the people that worked with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meijer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Meijer.
Powered byComparably