Meijer
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Meijer Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

Customer Service Associate / Cashier451 reviews
United States451 reviews
They have really good flexible work hours and are very family oriented this helps me alot because i have a young child. I like working there im just relocating where i live.
I enjoy the simple and easy work that goes into my day. And I also enjoy the employees that I work with, but sometimes it hard to get along with our management.
Cons
Inconvenient scheduling
I work as a cashier in Sycamore. Your scheduled hours change daily so recheck your schedule twice a day. The best gig is overseeing the self checkout lanes but your chances of catching Covid run high because the Trumpers come thru here with no masks on or noses out ready to sneeze and cough on you and aim it at you for fun😣
Pros
Not many unless you shop there and use your mperks
Cons
Your health is at risk cuz no mask rules get enforced
Employees are awesome. Management dont know how to treat people. At all!! They're always rude and sometimes downright mean to employees. They made one guy come back to work from quarantine before he even got his covid 19 results back.
Pros
Cons
You're assumed to be wrong even when you're not
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
A great place to work and I enjoyed the people . When I first started to work there never the less I was excited to start on being a Cashier the training didn’t take long and everyone was helpful .
Pros
Paid break
Cons
Lots of theft going around
Flexible hours and fast pace. Have to work all weekend and a holidays. You can work in more than one department. Cashier, customer service, stocking, curbside.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Working every weekend and every holiday
It's not a hard job as long as you're able to count and make change. If your able to be friendly with a positive attitude you will get through the day without problem.
I worked for Meijer from May 2, 1990 until September 20, 2010. I was not respected toward the end of my 20 year career as a cashier. I was terminated over uncontrolled seizures. This company doesn't comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act as they will terminate people whose disabilities the company determines as "high maintenance". The only enjoyable part of my job as a cashier were my regular customers; they came through my lane because they knew I knew how to bag their orders; that I gave them good quality customer service. I listened to my customers; my lousy team leaders in 2010 jumped on my case if I listened to my customers wishes and did not follow the company's "rules".
Pros
NO pros.
Cons
poor healthcare coverage; no incentives to climb the ladder of achievement
The management at Meijer, in my experience, have very little empathy for my personal time. It's all about Meijer or nothing. I've witnessed on more than one occasion managers talking poorly upon other managers and other team members. If a team member is sick, its suddenly the worst thing in the world, a huge inconvience. The team members are typically friendly. Always happy to help customers. Its a clean environment. Especially with Covid-19 now. But even before, employees were always cleaning and taking every measure to ensure the place was clean.
Jobs at Meijer
Customer Service Associate / Cashier positions
See more jobs
Meijer from a corporate company standpoint has been a great place to work. They were great about working with my schedule while I was in school and I've been able to open up my availability since then without issue. Management-wise, the higher up the person is, the harder they are to deal with and talk to. There are definitely cliques of grown adults who are stuck in high school, but if you can get past that, then it's a great place to work! Pay is good for the work you're doing, at least from a cashier experience.
Pros
Good pay, Flexible scheduling, Union company
Cons
Some team leads and coworkers aren't the best, but that's everywhere
my co-workers and managers were awesome. I usually had fun at work so my time there went by pretty fast. It was a let down when the store was closed because I did like working there for the time being.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
Some rude customers here and there
Working at Meijer is a lot better than working at some other grocery stores as there are regular breaks every 2 hours as mandated by the Union. Schedules are posted usually with about 2 weeks notice however, if you are part time their practice of Holding is going to be a problem. Very often, your scheduled Out time will not be when you are actually released as if the store is busy- which it always was at my location- or they are short on staff then the Service Coordinator will tell you that you're being Held. That means if you were only supposed to work 6 hours and get out at 4:00 then they could make you stay until 6:30 (for an 8 hour shift including your half hour unpaid lunch) with as short notice as 15-30 minutes before you were supposed to leave. If you rely on taking the bus or getting a ride it makes organizing transportation a nightmare and if you have somewhere you need to be (ex. picking child up from daycare) you cannot rely on your scheduled Out time to be accurate.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Union Protection, Regular Breaks
Cons
Unreliable Scheduling, Repetitive Work, Apathetic Managers
Always work late til you gain top seniority, favoritism, rude team leaders , and once you quit there the manager is rude ... Always have to do dirty work and if someone doesn't want to do something they get their way
Wasn’t the best job I had, but wasn’t the worst. If you’re apart of the union you have job security though. Management was my main issue, other than that it was an okay job.
I have nothing to add. I have spoken to human resources and nothing has changed. I'm there every hour I am scheduled. I feel like no one listens. Looking for employment elsewhere.
Its a grat place to work if you have the right managment. Good pay and benefits. If full time you don't have a choice when you work. If your part time you pay more for benefits
This is not a place if your looking for advancement they will dangle job opportunities at you with no advantage you could be there best employee never call off always come in and you will be replaced
Not family oriented as they expressed in orientation. Dishonest management when requesting time off. Very little positive feedback about performance. All they appear to care about is cashier speed. Very stressful job. I was told if my speed was not faster they would fire me. No personal H R department. Everything is on line, myself and many others 50 and older need help. Too bad!
It was like any other job. Stock stuff, condition the shelves, and help customers. I've worked in sever different departments from garden to toys and seasonal along with working at an actual register.
As a cashier I mostly deal with money, coupons, checks.
working for this company will give you different task to work on so you can learn your job as you spend your time in there.
I loved working at Meijer
The employees were always supportive

I love working with customers

I loved cashiering

Meijer has wonderful benefits

The management of Meijer were also great at help