Meijer Employee Reviews

Found 7,038 reviews matching the search See all 7,057 reviews
Meijer doesn't live up to it's own hype
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIJanuary 8, 2019
I worked 40 hours from the very beginning but I was never on full time status. Part time and retired people made more money than me and I was rewarded the same as people who sat on the toilet for 5 hours a day. I was supposed to receive 2 scheduled raises but I only received 1 raise 50 hours after I was supposed to receive it. No benefits or health insurance. Management told me they would replace me with someone NOT motivated by money, in the same conversation I was confiding about depression and mental illness. All in all, I had high hopes for this place and they really let me down.
Pros
Good place to work if you don't have bills to pay
Cons
Not a good place to work if you have ambition and actually want to do something with your life
Privately held entrepreneurial atmosphere
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  MeijerJanuary 2, 2019
Meijer is a family owned, privately held company. Because of this, employees may not have some of the same pressure as they would working at a publicly held company. The Meijer family is very charitable and the CEO is open and wants a team orientated company that allows people to behave like individuals and contribute. This has not cascaded down to management and unfortunately, associates tend to have a bad or good working environment based on their specific manager. They do not have a lot of the same small perks as other companies are now adding to benefits, but they do pay well and have very good health/dental benefits. They also currently have been replacing "older" or "higher paid" associates with younger, inexperienced associates so workers do not feel like experience is appreciated in the current culture. The company is extremely charitable in the community so their are events or ways employees can contribute as well.
A around the clock store expected around the clock team leaders!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INDecember 29, 2018
I was very young when I was promoted at Meijer. I basically new nothing. They did offer classes back in the day. Some training for about two weeks. I gave my all to this company and they still wanted more. They would call me at home and ask me to work. They even would wake me up out of a dead sleep to tell me that a customer was shopping my department and it was being trashed. I would suggest that they would find someone else working to help out. But the would suggest If I would like to keep my job that I would need to come in. I worked an average of sixty to seventy hours a week. I worked most holidays. Covered other managements shifts. Swore to never be taken advantage again!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very demanding job.
High Stress, Low Reward
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHDecember 27, 2018
I worked at the Huber Heights Meijer for one month and left because of the inept management and lazy and negative co-workers.

On the truck unload crew with the laziest people I've ever worked with. Management refuses to weed out poor workers and expected good workers to manage bad ones. Most co-workers had nasty attitudes and most passed blame on to other people instead of taking responsibility. Truck unloaders are judged on their performance as a group, instead of individually, which means one good worker is weighed down by three or four lazy incompetents.No communication, no addressing of poor performance, and Meijer benefits are almost non existent. You get a week of vacation after one year and only a ten percent discount on general merchandise (no groceries). Health care benefits are pitiful and 401k match is laughable. They're still family owned, which would explain why their benefits suck. Definitely the worst place I've ever worked at!
Pros
Paid every week
Cons
Lazy and negative co-workers, bad management, low pay
OK but could be better
Grocery Stocking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Bath, MISeptember 4, 2018
I was in a unionized position so I had some benefits like paid days off, knowing my schedule at least a week in advance, guaranteed raises, and job security. However management was generally lazy but demanding, didn't bother to train everyone fully, refused to train me to do more things when I requested, and was inconsistent about honoring availability and providing a consistent schedule. The pay is low and raises small (e.g. $0.25 every 300 hours worked); short lunch break and they're very strict about the time clock. And you pretty much have to work every weekend and most holidays, but you do get paid time-and-a-half for some holidays if you've been there more than a year.
Pros
job security, raises, paid days off
Cons
schedule, low pay, weekend work
Not a very good place to work
Grocery Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 27, 2018
Very lazy team leaders. Management dont care a lot, thats why
good workers and team members leave or sometimes just become
one of them and eventually get fired. On big load nights, you cant expect a team leader to help , because according to them management told them not to help, team members just get hired without any drug screen, or orientation. They give you 2 uniforms and expect you to work for 5 days with it. The only reason why most team members wants to be a team leader so they can walk around with coffee . This place is full of low lifes, hiring people that needs the money but dont want to work. This place dont work as a TEAM. shifts are blaming each other ,i dont know if this company knows whats the meaning of TEAM. Most of all leadership in this place dont train you, because they just dont care about the team members.All they care is there paycheck .
Pros
Cons
low salary, lazy team leaders, and a bad management
Competitive, it was all about the numbers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHAugust 30, 2018
I was the fastest scanner at Meijer for several weeks in a row. The training is practically non-existent. Management at my store usually only cared about the numbers and not what was right for the customers or the employees. Some of the problems with the technology were frustrating, as well as some of the management. It was a fast-paced work environment with high expectations, but sometimes the stress caught up to employees, causing them to leave. Schedules were sometimes inconsistent and required follow up with management to ensure you were getting what you needed. $0.50 raises were given to employees after working a set amount of hours. Sometimes customers were mean, there were always problems with organization and efficiency in my store. The team discount was only 10% on general merchandise items (not including health and beauty care or pet items), which was extremely frustrating.
Pros
Many benefits, slightly rewarding environment
Cons
Small discount, stressful, high expectations
Fast-paced work but not enough help
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIAugust 30, 2018
I really enjoy working at Meijer because its a lot of physical work that keeps me busy. I never run out of things to do. However, it often feels like there isn't nearly enough people to do the workload that is required of us. My co-workers feel like a second family to me, they care about one another and we often celebrate anniversaries. I loved my manager; she was flexible with my work schedule while I was in school and congratulated her team members on jobs well done. My job required a lot of back room management and inventory stock out and inventory prep. There was a fair amount of paperwork to do with hole-counts, inventory count adjustments, and ordering of supplies.
Pros
Busy, great co-workers, paid lunches, benefits
Cons
Not enough help, not the best pay for the work we are expected to do
Growing company/decent benefits and challenging jobs.
Stock Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 27, 2018
As a Team Leader I would work closely with the store director to set goals for the shift and working with team members (usually on the sales floor) we would get to work on projects. Some of the people are really nice to be around and the team spirit at times, showed through. But there is a constant pressure to move quickly and accomplish as much as possible. One more fun this is helping customers, of course you have the challenging ones too, but overall the satisfaction of getting a customer what they need is rewarding. Moderate attendance program that most folks would have no problem navigating. It really takes a lot to mess up and get fired. Meijer is growing and there is opportunity for diligent and hard workers. New stores are opening somewhere every year. Meijer mostly promotes from within but also hires many outside managers. Insurance and paid time off is somewhat better for full-time vs part-time. But medical is also available for part-time help too. Decent 401k program.
Pros
Decent benefits-Medical Dental/Vision and 401k
Cons
Focus on keeping very busy, team member pay could be better.
Depends..
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tipp City, OHSeptember 26, 2018
I think this either can be one of the best places to work or this job can be your worst nightmare. It all comes down to, I believe, who your management is. I was lucky enough to have a great group of supervisors and manager for a long time and didn't realize the difference they make until I worked with their replacements. It takes some planning to figure out who goes where and how to evenly distribute the right people to the right areas so the work gets done. Nothing was worse than finishing D labels after 11 hours,thinking you're going home finally, and there's a 10 foot stack of hand select left to do because the management had only 1 guy doing it all night. Meanwhile 55 ppl are on D's. But with the right management, it is a good job overall. It is a union job so you pay dues and you get a 15 min paid break every 2 hours. The pay is good and it is weekly. Also, overtime is paid anytime you work over 8 hours a day which is a huge bonus. So if you are part time, you can still make time and a half.
Pros
Benefits, paid 15 min breaks, weekly pay, Overtime paid on over 8 hours daily, supervisors& management
Cons
No air conditioning or heat, extra long hours, supervisors & management
Do Not Bother
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 12, 2018
LATE CALLED EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHAT. The work life balance is horrible.YOU WILL WORK AN 8 HOUR DAY NO MATTER WHAT. They have the right to keep you as long as they want. They don't care about you. They do not respect us unless they want something from us. The managers don't even say hello to you when passing them. Hard to get any weekend day off. If you have something planned do not plan on going to the event because you will work every weekend even if you have open availability. We are lucky if any of the hires last more than 2 weeks. The turn over rate is horrible. They do work around other jobs and school. The pay is not bad and the benefits are decent. There is over time for anything over an 8 hour day. Holiday pay is good!
Good Place To Work Overall!!!
GM CLERK (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 5, 2018
As a Gm-Clerk the job was fast paced and made feel accomplished. Pay was OK but got better if you stayed with the company for a while. They also have one of the best Systems I've seen for giving employees raises. It's pretty much based on hours worked with incremnets. So you would get a raise after hitting 400 total hours with the company, then 700, then 1000, 1500, 3000, and so on (numbers aren't exactly right). I think this is the way every company should do it. As a clerk you were pretty much every position rolled into one because you had your own job but you also had to fill in on all the other positions of the store outside of grocery. So that meant you would relieve people to go on break from every other department in the store. So that means you will have to work registers from time to time, but you also worked in Electronics, Jewelry, Pets, Clothing etc. Overall I enjoyed working there and the job felt like a family.
Pros
Consistent Pay Raises, High Opportunites for Promotion, Management was great, Work Gives a sense of Accomplishment, Customers are Much nicer than Walmart
Cons
Meetings Every Morning
Always busy
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Howell, MIDecember 11, 2018
I enjoy my time at Meijer as it is always busy. My co workers are very dear to me and I have several people there that I would call close friends. Sadly I had a physical issue that required surgery and I am now restricted on what I can do. The paperwork trail that I must keep providing from my surgeon is getting to be overwhelming. I have requested to change departments as in becoming a cashier but due to union regulations I would have to step down to part time and it isn't worth the drive for non secured hours and no benefits.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
full time hours are never the same shift.
Blah
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cascade, MIDecember 19, 2018
Such an average mediocre place to work. Benefits are not great, they over work you and absolutely do not care with what you have going on at home. Its great for college kids because they work with your schedules, or even for single moms with young kids, its great in that aspect if your are looking for something flexible. I also made a lot of great friends working there, but I do not recommend anyone to work there unless they are in desperate need of a job. There are other companies out there that treat their employees right.
Pros
flexible if your a single mom, or college student.
Cons
to many to list.
Decent job
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MIJanuary 6, 2019
Its a great stepping stone job, not one you can truly live off of unless you work your way up. The customers were a nightmare and super rude and managment never sticks up for their employees against a customer. This job does offer benifits how ever so it does add extra support to your lifes needs.
Pros
10% off general merchandise, optional benifits like dental, health care, 401k
Cons
Doing the work of 2 or more people at times, always under staffed, bad communication between managment and employees at times, very rude customers litterally daily, they even throw stuff at you.
Mediocre
Inventory Coordinator, General Merchandise (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 3, 2018
The job itself is only as bad as you make it. It has its good times, it has its rough times.
The pay is only competitive in certain departments. The benefits are ok, better than fast food, but that is about it.
The union used to be great, but after MI went Right to Work, it seems that its usefulness is declining.
Management is hit or miss. Some are amazing, some suck. HR does not feel inviting and it does not seem as though one can effectively deal with the bad ones. The worst part of the management is they rarely give straightforward answers to questions regarding how they plan on dealing with concerning situations. For example, a coworker is barely working at all and bringing the team down. They never say, "I will handle it, thanks for telling me."
workplace culture is weird. There are so many teams and departments that it's really compartmentalized and so some teams get along well and have a good time while others suffer if there is no chemistry so to speak.
Overall unless one plans to progress through the company, is already retired, or is just looking for a day job while they go to school, Meijer should not be a career.
Pros
3 breaks, vacation time, job security
Cons
physically taxing
Very poor, strict management
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 14, 2018
While the hours were good and pay wasnt bad, the available shifts, according to what position you had, were very limited. If you ever wanted to change the time of day you worked, you'd more than likely have to either beg for it, or relocate to a different store. The management i had there was awful, as they never took much into consideration before becoming upset that some task wasnt done in the time frame they often had in mind. On top of that, they were pretty rude about it at times, even downright mocking a person's entire work ethic due to how "slow" of a pace they seemed to work at. While i could understand that a managers job is very stressful, and certainly never easy, i could never get them to understand circumstances (even if i had a very good excuse) as to why i might be a little behind that evening (which was rare for me, but it didnt matter to them). Over all, the job itself is like any stocking position, fast paced, very physical, pretty busy, etc. but the management staff at some locations are pretty belligerent.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, plenty of hours
Cons
Poor management, stressful work environment, lack of shift opportunities
They believe in their associates
Gas Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Gratiot Township, MIOctober 8, 2018
When I worked at Meijer's, they taught their team members very well. The managers were shown new products and given information on the merchandise they sold. Then the managers would pass that information on to the other associates so that they could actually sell the product. Customers feel better about buying things when the salesperson seems as if they know what they're selling. It makes them feel more comfortable about buying from the individual. Most would rather be told the information about the items than to read it for themselves.
Pros
Fun and friendly environment, knowledgeable staff, great pay and benefits
Fast-paced, and busy environment
CASHIER CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MIAugust 19, 2018
Overall, working at Meijer as a Cashier has given me more than enough experience in working with a variety of customers. I have learned how to quickly help customers and treat them with as much respect as I could offer, and made many friendly co-workers and became friends. Management was spotty at times, and hours can be picked up relatively easily as many people tend to call in. So if you work here, you can definitely work as much as you desire.
Pros
Health Benefits, 401k opportunity, paid-time-off.
Cons
Unpaid Lunches, late breaks, long hours.
Love my co-workers, the job is strenuous
Grocery Backroom Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 12, 2018
The company does have a family vibe at store level even though it is large. One of the things that kept me longest was the friends I made. Pay and benefits are better than you think, but not the best for management. Very physical which is both an advantage and weakness. Very few weekends off and if you are new be aware that you are likely to begin with part-time hours. As a team leader, you are almost constantly running. At the time I'm writing this, there is a low staffing issue which seems to come and go every 6 months. I was able to grow with this company and receive promotions almost annually, but I know my experience does not relate to most in the company. I have experienced highs and lows working there, but something kept me going for 4 years.
Pros
friends, high activity, easy work
Cons
understaffing, dealing closely to the public, no weekends off/not always a set schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meijer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K
42.2K
32.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight