MEMIC Employee Reviews

Great place
Administration (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 12, 2019
I have worked at MEMIC for approximately six months. MEMIC is a great place to work. My colleagues are pleasant, helpful and fun to be around. I appreciate that the benefit package is excellent so I will be able to take an extended vacation. There is opportunity for volunteering with paid time off, get-togethers, luncheons, celebrations and tons of left over food from meetings.

The hours, for me, are excellent and I get home at five p.m. which allows me to have plenty of time for activities in the evening. I see MEMIC as an excellent organization for employee growth and I look forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Great benefits, Pto, employees, location, friendly upper management
Cons
Some managers could benefit from more training
Workers Comp associate
Workers Comp associate (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTFebruary 9, 2019
Went for interview an it’s a small office. Was never told all 6 people would be at the interview. They are all chummy from working togethe at another company.
Like an ambush Should really tell interviewees it’s going to be that
I don’t see any advancement opportunities with this office
Also using outdated DOS platform
Pros
Cons
No advancement
February 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We have reached out to the hiring manager and moving forward we will make sure to inform candidates that it will be a group interview.
It is our practice to support the growth of our employees and help them achieve their career goals. With advancement in mind, we created multiple claim handling levels to allow growth for employees who wish to advance within the Claims Department. As you mentioned, we are currently utilizing a legacy system. However, we have begun the implementation of a new system that will be rolled out in 2020. We wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Culture Shift for the Worse
N/A (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 18, 2019
Memic used to have a positive reputation for work culture that offset comparatively low pay for the industry. Unfortunately, that culture has changed as Memic has attempted to make the jump from a small company to being a large competitor.

Management is promoted without appropriate management training, and upper management does not care about the numerous operational and morale issues despite multiple complaints, a staggering turnover rates, and attempts by employees to offer constructive criticism. The managers who do care are constantly roadblocked by upper management and made to perpetuate a cycle of poor team development, and ignore morale issues.

I would only recommend Memic as a last resort to get your foot in the door to insurance, before moving on to greener pastures.
Pros
Free Lunches, Vendor Outings, Good PTO package
Cons
Poor Management, Lack of management accountability, Poor work life balance
Collaborative work environment with friendly coworkers
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 9, 2019
I’ve just recently started working at MEMIC and it has been by far the best job I have ever had. Everyone is so friendly and helpful- including the executives. I walk in everyday knowing that everyone is treated as an equal. MEMIC has a decent health insurance plan, however the deductibles are somewhat high, but the pay and all the perks the company has to offer it’s employees make it worth it. It really is a good feeling knowing I am working for such a reputable company. Even though I am still new, I know I won’t want to leave MEMIC any time soon.
Pros
Kind and helpful coworkers, clean and modern work areas, on site gym, employee recognition
Cons
High health insurance deductible
February 7, 2019

We are so excited to hear that you enjoy working here! We constantly strive to foster an environment that is welcoming and inclusive. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we’re happy to welcome you to the MEMIC team.

Very Good Company
Consultant (Current Employee) –  USAOctober 10, 2018
Just Joined this company and find it far better than other IT companies. This company achieved a lot in very small time , doing business in 46 state in USA. Very progressive.
Once a great company that lost it's way
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 12, 2018
Maine Employers Mutual was once a great company led by strong knowledgeable leadership but once the company started recruiting for senior management level positions outside of the company when the founding leadership retired, the strong united culture and mission faded away. MEMIC became a claims operation like most others complete with poor treatment of staff,and managing line staff with fear and intimidation.Instead of hiring and promoting the best candidates they opted for the "cheaper" options and as a result the horrid cycle of lost business and mass exodus of staff started followed by the usual looking for who to blame rather than looking for solutions.
Overwhelmed staff with far too many demands are made to answer to anyone and everyone without support. Stay away from this company unless you like working every weekend and most nights to barely stay afloat and still catch it from the clueless management who place you in the the shark tank without safety gear in the first place.
Pros
401K profit share
Cons
None come to mind
Great Company & Great People
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 6, 2018
MEMIC is a great company to work for, with a lot of awesome people. In my department, I have a supportive, collaborative & fun team. My team makes coming to work enjoyable and it's why I love working here!

MEMIC is a growing company with many opportunities for career advancement. I would highly recommend!
August 10, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoy working at MEMIC. We are continuously working to create a positive, welcoming, and collaborate environment.

Culture has changed but still a great place to work aside from incompetent managers.
Annonomus (Current Employee) –  MaineJune 20, 2018
The culture at MEMIC has changed since I first started from a supportive culture that wanted the best for you and to grow to a more favoritism culture, causing incompetent people and managers to be promoted. Overall I still enjoy working at MEMIC, I just wish upper level management would really look at the people doing the hard work instead of the managers taking credit for successes that they had nothing to do with.
Too Many managers
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 14, 2018
They promote everyone to directors and managers. Need to get rid of 1/2 of their mgrs. Going to HR doesnt do any good. Managers are always right there, they do not listen to their employees. Pay lower people on the totem pole more and get rid of some managers
July 23, 2018

MEMIC is a growing company serving employers, their employees and injured workers. In just the past year, we have hired 65 new employees from Maine to Florida. And in just 10 years, we have doubled our workforce. With growth comes a need for more managers which has meant advancement for people building their careers at MEMIC. Gratefully, we now are structured to continue our growth and provide professional development for entry level employees.

This is All self explanatory given my scores
Former employee (Former Employee) –  MEMICMay 16, 2018
See my scores and ratings above. Run and run as fast as you can you will be miserable and unsupproted and demoralized. Do not always apply. Do not pass go. Colllect nothing in return.
Pros
Literally not. Single one
Cons
Parking, terrible managers, incompetent leadership, expensive benefits, favoritism abound, etc etc etc
August 10, 2018

We appreciate constructive feedback as we are intent on further improving MEMIC’s workplace experience. While there are challenges associated with growth, the average length of employment at MEMIC is well over 5 years, a good testament to finding and retaining the right people in the right positions doing really meaningful work. As with any relationship, sometimes it doesn’t work out because of performance, culture or professional chemistry. Job satisfaction, though, is a shared obligation so both employer and employee should express concerns and help smooth out areas of friction. We wish you well in finding the right fit.

great job that is fast paced and high volume
claims handler (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 19, 2018
MEMIC has been a great first job out of college. I love the Commercial street location. 4 weeks paid time off is great and that is just to start out. MEMIC has a great culture.
August 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re happy to hear you’re enjoying your first post-grad job. Hopefully, it will be a long and satisfying career here at MEMIC! Thanks for being a part of the MEMIC team.

toxic work environment across all departments and is a sinking ship
N/A (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 20, 2018
opportunities to grow a strong career in a great downtown location?

Yeah, more like slowly die at your cubicle day after day after day working for abusive managers with no clue how to treat employees with basic human decency and respect.

Limited if any advancement opportunities across all departments, a toxic environment, most people I worked alongside were miserable and either planning to quit, actively searching for other roles and/or just up and leaving to escape the negative work environment.
Pros
Downtown location- but LIMITED/ALMOST NO PARKING FOR EMPLOYEES!!
Cons
terrible managers, toxic work environment, expensive benefits (High deductible health insurance is a cruel joke)
August 10, 2018

We’re sorry MEMIC was not a fit for you but we appreciate the feedback. Under the guidance of our new CEO, we recently completed an extensive employee engagement survey that indicates MEMIC is measurably better-than-average in the insurance industry. We are sharing that survey information with our employees to engage them in crafting and implementing positive changes that further improve their work experience. As noted in the positive comments on this page from both current and former employees, a career at MEMIC has a lot going for it.

No advancement in ME
Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 8, 2018
Career/salary advancement is limited if you're not willing to leave the state of Maine. Lots of micro-managing and management shows heavy signs of favoritism.
Never a short supply of work
Claims Department (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 3, 2018
I genuinely loved the people I worked with and I loved what I did. However it was stressful when more and more work was piled on but there was no extra compensation for it and very little to no appreciation from upper management.
Pros
occasional free lunch, cheap bagels/muffins on Fridays
Cons
High deductible health benefits, low pay, have to pay for parking
Great Company!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 14, 2017
MEMIC is a great Maine based company. It's vision of growth is encouraging. Innovation is coming and changes are exciting. All while sticking to safety, service and excellence.
Too much work
Compensation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 22, 2017
Too much work, minimal salary, and impossible expectations from management. I was given a large workload that always seemed unrealistic. Whenever I needed guidance from management it seemed they were always absent due to meetings, breaks (taken altogether), etc.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Lack of management
Unreasonable workload expectations; good/decent company/culture
Medical Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 24, 2017
I am a medical only claims adjuster in specialist training managing the medical claims for 80 dedicated accounts. Training is 2-3 hours per day. Right now, I have about +-200 open claims. That means I have about 4.5 hours every day to try and investigate new claims, manage existing claims, put out fires, make contacts, pay bills, receive and send mail, and close applicable claims as appropriate, while maintaining thorough documentation across multiple operating systems, as well as providing summaries to needy agents, policy holders, etc. Now, I understand it is the nature of the business that there are multiple interest groups on any given claim, but you tell me, does any of the above sound achievable given the volume of work described?
My review
Claims Compensation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 31, 2017
I was only here on a contract assignment. My biggest complaint would be that for all that training they did for me, it was a shame that even after applying they did not hire me because I did not have enough experience. How does that make any sense? Other than that, the coworkers I had were great and the job was easy enough.
Stuck in bad management habits
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 30, 2017
This is not a good place to work. Memic elevates long term employees to management positions and unfortunately these people have no idea how to manage workers or projects. There is no community of spirit where everyone feels like part of a team. Favoritism abounds and so employees constantly stab each other in the back. Combine this atmosphere with top management infighting and you get an unhappy and unproductive work environment. Employees are constantly jumping ship en mass.
Pros
Downtown Portland work environment
Cons
Insecure, unskilled managers.
August 10, 2018

As always, we appreciate constructive feedback as it gives us a chance to make changes. This comment was posted more than a year ago and a great deal has changed in that time; a new CEO, more than 65 net new employees, a new IT system and more support for systems that help us all in our jobs. Perhaps most exciting is the leadership development efforts that are helping directors and supervisors learn many of the skills that create a good culture. Yes, many people are promoted from within which we think illustrates that there are career opportunities. We now are making strides in helping to train them and those who will follow in leadership positions as the company continues to grow. It’s one of the reasons that a recent employee engagement survey indicated that more than most insurance companies, our employees not only feel a sense of job security but also want to be at MEMIC on a long-term basis.

Lack of Caring for Employees
Sr. Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 6, 2017
After working 60 + hours weekly and being told we needed to work more hours finally left. IT has no leadership and continues to hire managers that know nothing and just tell you to work more. No rewards for doing this just more work then is humanly possible
Pros
Location is nice
Cons
Long hours and poor management
August 10, 2018

First, our apologies for a late response on this review. Nearly two years ago, MEMIC undertook a major restructuring of our IT department while also implementing a new operating system. While there were challenges, under new department leadership, the team succeeded in delivering a system for which we are grateful. As we move forward, we are using the lessons of that experience to apply to our next major project and are hiring more talent to share the work. In addition, we are beginning to implement suggested changes expressed in a recently completed employee survey. We are intent on living up to our recent designation by ACORD as “the top workers’ compensation company in the U.S.” That includes strong employee satisfaction.