MEMIC Employee Reviews

Great Company & Great People
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 6, 2018
MEMIC is a great company to work for, with a lot of awesome people. In my department, I have a supportive, collaborative & fun team. My team makes coming to work enjoyable and it's why I love working here!

MEMIC is a growing company with many opportunities for career advancement. I would highly recommend!
August 10, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoy working at MEMIC. We are continuously working to create a positive, welcoming, and collaborate environment.

Too Many managers
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 14, 2018
They promote everyone to directors and managers. Need to get rid of 1/2 of their mgrs. Going to HR doesnt do any good. Managers are always right there, they do not listen to their employees. Pay lower people on the totem pole more and get rid of some managers
July 23, 2018

MEMIC is a growing company serving employers, their employees and injured workers. In just the past year, we have hired 65 new employees from Maine to Florida. And in just 10 years, we have doubled our workforce. With growth comes a need for more managers which has meant advancement for people building their careers at MEMIC. Gratefully, we now are structured to continue our growth and provide professional development for entry level employees.

This is All self explanatory given my scores
Former employee (Former Employee) –  MEMICMay 16, 2018
See my scores and ratings above. Run and run as fast as you can you will be miserable and unsupproted and demoralized. Do not always apply. Do not pass go. Colllect nothing in return.
Pros
Literally not. Single one
Cons
Parking, terrible managers, incompetent leadership, expensive benefits, favoritism abound, etc etc etc
August 10, 2018

We appreciate constructive feedback as we are intent on further improving MEMIC’s workplace experience. While there are challenges associated with growth, the average length of employment at MEMIC is well over 5 years, a good testament to finding and retaining the right people in the right positions doing really meaningful work. As with any relationship, sometimes it doesn’t work out because of performance, culture or professional chemistry. Job satisfaction, though, is a shared obligation so both employer and employee should express concerns and help smooth out areas of friction. We wish you well in finding the right fit.

toxic work environment across all departments and is a sinking ship
N/A (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 20, 2018
opportunities to grow a strong career in a great downtown location?

Yeah, more like slowly die at your cubicle day after day after day working for abusive managers with no clue how to treat employees with basic human decency and respect.

Limited if any advancement opportunities across all departments, a toxic environment, most people I worked alongside were miserable and either planning to quit, actively searching for other roles and/or just up and leaving to escape the negative work environment.
Pros
Downtown location- but LIMITED/ALMOST NO PARKING FOR EMPLOYEES!!
Cons
terrible managers, toxic work environment, expensive benefits (High deductible health insurance is a cruel joke)
August 10, 2018

We’re sorry MEMIC was not a fit for you but we appreciate the feedback. Under the guidance of our new CEO, we recently completed an extensive employee engagement survey that indicates MEMIC is measurably better-than-average in the insurance industry. We are sharing that survey information with our employees to engage them in crafting and implementing positive changes that further improve their work experience. As noted in the positive comments on this page from both current and former employees, a career at MEMIC has a lot going for it.

No advancement in ME
Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 8, 2018
Career/salary advancement is limited if you're not willing to leave the state of Maine. Lots of micro-managing and management shows heavy signs of favoritism.
Never a short supply of work
Claims Department (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 3, 2018
I genuinely loved the people I worked with and I loved what I did. However it was stressful when more and more work was piled on but there was no extra compensation for it and very little to no appreciation from upper management.
Pros
occasional free lunch, cheap bagels/muffins on Fridays
Cons
High deductible health benefits, low pay, have to pay for parking
Great Company!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 14, 2017
MEMIC is a great Maine based company. It's vision of growth is encouraging. Innovation is coming and changes are exciting. All while sticking to safety, service and excellence.
Too much work
Compensation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 22, 2017
Too much work, minimal salary, and impossible expectations from management. I was given a large workload that always seemed unrealistic. Whenever I needed guidance from management it seemed they were always absent due to meetings, breaks (taken altogether), etc.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Lack of management
Unreasonable workload expectations; good/decent company/culture
Medical Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 24, 2017
I am a medical only claims adjuster in specialist training managing the medical claims for 80 dedicated accounts. Training is 2-3 hours per day. Right now, I have about +-200 open claims. That means I have about 4.5 hours every day to try and investigate new claims, manage existing claims, put out fires, make contacts, pay bills, receive and send mail, and close applicable claims as appropriate, while maintaining thorough documentation across multiple operating systems, as well as providing summaries to needy agents, policy holders, etc. Now, I understand it is the nature of the business that there are multiple interest groups on any given claim, but you tell me, does any of the above sound achievable given the volume of work described?
Stuck in bad management habits
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 30, 2017
This is not a good place to work. Memic elevates long term employees to management positions and unfortunately these people have no idea how to manage workers or projects. There is no community of spirit where everyone feels like part of a team. Favoritism abounds and so employees constantly stab each other in the back. Combine this atmosphere with top management infighting and you get an unhappy and unproductive work environment. Employees are constantly jumping ship en mass.
Pros
Downtown Portland work environment
Cons
Insecure, unskilled managers.
August 10, 2018

As always, we appreciate constructive feedback as it gives us a chance to make changes. This comment was posted more than a year ago and a great deal has changed in that time; a new CEO, more than 65 net new employees, a new IT system and more support for systems that help us all in our jobs. Perhaps most exciting is the leadership development efforts that are helping directors and supervisors learn many of the skills that create a good culture. Yes, many people are promoted from within which we think illustrates that there are career opportunities. We now are making strides in helping to train them and those who will follow in leadership positions as the company continues to grow. It’s one of the reasons that a recent employee engagement survey indicated that more than most insurance companies, our employees not only feel a sense of job security but also want to be at MEMIC on a long-term basis.

Want to know more about MEMIC?

Ask a question
Lack of Caring for Employees
Sr. Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 6, 2017
After working 60 + hours weekly and being told we needed to work more hours finally left. IT has no leadership and continues to hire managers that know nothing and just tell you to work more. No rewards for doing this just more work then is humanly possible
Pros
Location is nice
Cons
Long hours and poor management
August 10, 2018

First, our apologies for a late response on this review. Nearly two years ago, MEMIC undertook a major restructuring of our IT department while also implementing a new operating system. While there were challenges, under new department leadership, the team succeeded in delivering a system for which we are grateful. As we move forward, we are using the lessons of that experience to apply to our next major project and are hiring more talent to share the work. In addition, we are beginning to implement suggested changes expressed in a recently completed employee survey. We are intent on living up to our recent designation by ACORD as “the top workers’ compensation company in the U.S.” That includes strong employee satisfaction.

Extremely productive work environment. Employee friendly
CLAIM ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 14, 2017
Extremely productive work environment. Always something to do. Employees are treated very well. Management is relaxed as long as goals are being met. Advancement in the company is encouraged.
August 10, 2018

Thank you for your review. We truly value our employees and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your experience during your time with MEMIC. Thanks for making a contribution while you were here and we wish you the best of luck with your next endeavor.

Club membership required for advancement
Accounting dept (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 31, 2017
Decent pay and benefits. Promotions were not based upon skill rather favoritism . Management Is demanding yet provides no leadership so they can relax and gossip about the employees
Pros
Benefits and location
Cons
Lack of caring for the little people
IT (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 2, 2017
MEMIC tells you they care but it is very obvious if you are not one of the money makers you are expendable. IT is in the mist of a complete reorganization and there is no sense of caring for those who always put in the extra time and effort. Instead they keep a director around managing a new team who knows nothing about what her team does, they push until people quit, they keep individuals who have complaints against them, and they only promote those who kiss but
Great company with an awesome atmosphere
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  MaineJuly 14, 2016
Working in IT for MEMIC is a blast. The best team I have worked with in my career hands down. Everyone has something to bring to the table and will go out of their way to help one another. From the CIO down everyone is treated with respect.

The company as a whole is great. Being in the Maine building has it's perks because all the different departments as housed within. I can go to lunch with someone in claims and underwriting without going out of the way.
Pros
The people and benefits
August 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are excited to hear that you seem to have found a great fit in our IT department. Developing new solutions to support our all-states enterprise is an exciting challenge. And, the more we collaborate, the better we’ll perform.

A horrible experience...
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 11, 2016
This was a terrible experience from start to finish. You're told everyone works 40 hours, then after training you find out its more like 70 hours because everyone's salary. My manager was a coward who took 2 hour lunches almost daily. If you tell your supervisor that you don't understand something, they'll pile more work on you. The managers provide no support. A lot of eye rolling, a lot of extremely dull people. You'll be spoken to about your commitment to the job if you leave the building for lunch breaks. What a joke. MEMIC is where dreams go to die.
Pros
No longer working there.
Cons
Working here.
Ego Driven Management that cares little about production employees
Loss Control Consultant (Former Employee) –  Outsied of MaineJuly 5, 2016
My 10+ years with the company found that the CEO has a "management by discomfort" technique. In 2010 a major exodus of founding managers were forced out by the current CEO and replaced by "yes" men. (note no woman). The culture is one that thinks they are better and different, but yet, they have no discipline outside of Maine in terms of business focus or consistency. This results in field personnel being embarrassed by the whimsical decisions of managers.
Pros
Cons
Management lacks skill, direction and focus
Exemplary place to work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Portland, MaineFebruary 23, 2016
MEMIC is an exemplary organization top to bottom. I have been very happy in my position and feel very fortunate to be working for such a great company. This is the exact kind of company that I want to spend the rest of my career working for. Overall a great corporate culture. Where else does the President and CEO take the time to get to know you? Aside from the impressive corporate culture, MEMIC promotes career development through tuition reimbursement opportunities and also growth opportunities within the company. I cannot speak highly enough about MEMIC. If you are reading this review with the thoughts of applying, I highly encourage you to take the leap of faith. You will not regret it.
Pros
Great leadership, generous paid time off, affordable benefits, 401k with company matching
August 10, 2018

Thank you for the review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoy working for MEMIC. Your attitude reflects the culture we value here. Thanks for being a part of the MEMIC team.

Never bored. There was always something to do in claims.
Workers' Compensation Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 7, 2015
Worked as a resident adjuster handing claims from the beginning to the end. Also handled mediations. Was lucky to have supervisors that understood the role of a resident adjuster and worked well with us.
Company is driven to work for its employees and had a good relationship with co-workers
Compensation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 19, 2013
MEMIC is a company driven to help both the employers and employees to get employees to get back to work after they had an accident at work. There was a good work environment. The work load is sometimes crazy for the adjusters but with good spirits we all got through it. Management is driven to work hard and work along with the adjusters and the support staff.
Pros
Work in the city, hour lunches, jean fridays and bagels on fridays
Cons
benefits were expensive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MEMIC. Our community is ready to answer.

MEMIC Reviews by Location