Memorial Blood Centers Employee Reviews

Poor upper management
Metro Mobile Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 8, 2018
I did not have the support needed the final two years of my time at Memorial Blood Centers. I was struggling with a few of my team members and with a recent personal loss, asked for assistance and instead of support HR and management did the opposite, was told I was not performing and then instead of assisting me with the situation, they proceeded to intimidate me. Ultimately I went on FMLA due to extreme anxiety caused by management and the situation. Upon my predicted return, the HR manager explained to me that they restructured and my position was no longer available, and since I was not released by my physician to return to work, they laid me off.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Upper management does not follow the organizational values
Culture and Management are aweful.
Collections Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 3, 2018
Working at MBC is a nightmare. Favoritism runs rampant and supervisors are able to do as they please and treat people like something they stepped in without any consequences. HR is ineffective and works hand in hand with management rather than be an impartial entity. The hours aren't for a person who wants to be an active part of their family unless you are management. Also be prepared to travel daily. Staff is extremely cliquey and all of these things together create an extremely unhappy group of people to work with and an even higher turn over rate.
Great Mission
Donor Recruitment Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 2, 2018
I truly loved working here for 7 years. The only negatives are that it's a non-profit (which is a positive), but the job doesn't pay very well. Also they are a bit top heavy so they only pay management.
Pros
Great Mission, saving lives, altruistic
Cons
Pay
Incompetent HR
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 2, 2018
By far the most incompetent HR department I have ever experienced, and I have experienced several. HR also helped create an us (management) versus them (staff) mentality.
Pros
flexbility
Cons
too many to list
Great company
Contact Associate I (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 26, 2018
Nice company to work for just a tad bit slow paced very great friendly staff just want something more challenging to occupy my days with, nice benefits!
Productive.
Phlebotomist/Field Trainer (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 20, 2017
Great place to work. Hours are not bankers hours. Traveling is required. Great job if you are willing to travel and have hours that are a bit more on be crazy side.
Work place culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 2, 2017
The organization promotes and sticks to a cultural foundation to support how people treat each other in the workplace. These values are enforce and evaluated on a yearly basis for all staff,
Very dysfunctional-- without the fun
Director (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNAugust 1, 2017
Important mission but totally mismanaged. They have a handful of people in charge and treat everyone else like peons.

Over two day period of "all management " meetings with about 50 "managers" the HR head spent a total of 3 hours talking about whether phlebotomist should be allowed to have long nails and tiny diamonds in nose....

Very territorial- and CEO pits people against each other. As someone else stated: they should actually look at the "values" they post on the wall and live by them.

There's a reason this place has had a bad reputation for years
Pros
Mission
Cons
Overworked and Underpaid
Awful
Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 30, 2016
Absolutely incompetent, fledgling middle management. HR is aloof and not concerned about employee plights. Employee training is quick and insufficient.
Laid back and enjoyable place to work
Eden Prairie Donor Site Representative (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 4, 2016
Greeting donors at the center was great being able to speak with them face to face and via the phone. I learned to manage the front office as well as assist with any errors on the backend rather than calling IT. Co-workers were great and easy to get along with.
A place that truly saves lives.
Donor Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 14, 2015
Best part of the job is seeing the faces of blood donors who volunteer there time to save patient's lives. The staff are fun to work with!
Rewarding job, terrible company and management
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaOctober 13, 2015
Rewarding job. However, a terrible company and poor management. No respect for personal lives, scheduling is unpredictable and exhausting.
Ok experience
Collection Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 9, 2015
At first it was great, they promised great benefits and raises. The starting pay was awesome. Got to be too much traveling and management kept changing where i was going everyday. lots of working late one night then early morning the next day. Two different blood drives in a day was typical. Just a big mess. The teams were very clicky. Not a good environment for someone trying to do long term work.

On the flip side, the donors were wonderful and I loved interacting with them everyday and there stories were great.
Good place to get entry level experience. very caring manegement. friendly coworkers
LAB TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  st. paul mnNovember 14, 2014
fun people to work with. Great start up place to work and good employee benefits.
Loved the job going to high schools and other big corporations and draw blood to help people saving there lives.
Collections specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 17, 2014
Drive to a blood drive, set up all equipment for the blood drive for the day. Meet new people everyday was great and knowing i was helping save lives every pint of blood that the Donner donated. i had a great relationship with all my co workers and i do very much regret leaving this job for the other because even though i didn't make as much money i helped save many lives and so did my Donner and i miss this job very much. The hardest part of this job was finding the place the donation crew would be at. I would map everything out the night before and still had trouble sometimes finding the donation site.
Pros
fun and great bpeople to work with
Cons
Not any i can really complain about
fun people, made a lot of new relationships
Collections Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 10, 2014
Very repetitive work, very resourceful place of work as well. I learned a lot of costumer service skills that I can carry over into any job.
Pros
had a chance to meet a lot of new and interesting people on a daily basis.
Cons
had to drive somewhere different everyday and did not have set schedule hours wise.
Values are just words on a wall
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 14, 2013
Employee's are amazing. Senior Leadership is disconnected with the people who actually do the work. If you want to work in an environment where you're scared to lose your job everyday work here. The Senior Director of Collections in horrible to her supervisors and below; very demeaning and leads with a stick rather than carrot. She loves to scare people.
Pros
Employee's
Cons
Salary, work life balance
Fun and Exciting Work Enviroment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 2, 2013
Helping people with life saving blood donations
Great co-workers
Wonderful management
Pros
New donors daily
Very friendly staff
Collections Specialist II/Field Trainer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNSeptember 4, 2013
The staff are very friendly and it is a great environment for teamwork.
Simple and great paying
Telerecruiter (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 30, 2013
A typical day includes calling potential donors and asking them if they are willing to come in and donate blood. It is great paying job for a job that is not too difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Memorial Blood Centers. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about