Memorial Hospital of South Bend Employee Reviews

Productive and fun. Feels like a family
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 28, 2018
Very nice place to work, room for advancement. Flexible hours. The benefits are great. Very fast paced, easy to transfer to different departments or to move up the ladder.
Typical day
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  CbuDecember 31, 2018
Great teamwork, wonderful organization to work for. I felt supported by my boss and also by upper management. The benefits were good! Also felt that I had a family away from home
Great place to work.
PATIENT ACCOUNT REPRESENTATIVE/FINANCIAL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 30, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for this company. The pay was great and benefits were great. You are given PTO to use for what you need. My manager was attentive and helped me when I needed it.
Great Organization
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 21, 2018
Great organization for our community. A lot of fantastic resources and they really seem to believe in making things better. The lab feels a little over looked and I wish we had 10 or 12 hour shifts rather than 8. However, compensation is good and benefits are fair.
Productive place to work
Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 24, 2018
Memorial is a fun and easy place to work. It is very fast paced, but organized. I have learned a lot in the medical field. Management is always there when needed. I enjoy working there and getting to know the patients.
Pros
Paid time off, organized, benefits
The hospital is a great place to work.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 22, 2018
The pay was not as high as I would prefer but they did have very good benefits. PTO and Sick days. The only thing that I didn't like is the favoritism and the fact that the schedule was made 6 weeks at a time so there was no room for unscheduled days off (family emergencies)
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 26, 2018
Flexible hours in management. 8 hour days. Rare coverage of call. Great staff to work with. I learned that certain management jobs are easier if used to work in the department you are managing. Learning new departments on top of learning how to be a new manager is challenging. Staff personalities are sometimes difficult to manage. The hardest part of the job was finding the balance needed to manage multiple departments. It was also difficult trying to revamp a department struggling with engagement and satisfaction. The most enjoyable part was getting to work with new staff and forming a friendship and bond with other from different nursing backgrounds and different fields of expertise.
Excellent place to work
ECC Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Emergency RoomAugust 25, 2018
Memorial Hospital is a a very inspiring place, with patient focused and compassionate staff who impact the lives of many people who work there or just come as patients and guests.
Memorial Hospital is a synonym life and health. Everyone that works at MHSB does the best in providing the best attention, service and care experience to all people that comes for service or works there. There are only positive thoughts in my mind when it comes to speak about Memorial Hospital of South Bend.
Pros
Excellent professional and learning environment
Cons
no cons I can think of at this moment
great experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  South Bend, IN'February 27, 2018
loved the people loved the clients loved the pay and all the benefits of memorial hospital great place to work great place to stay if you have to go. would recommend anyone to go there.
a typical day is fast paced with many patient issues to be addressed
Oncology Social Worker (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 31, 2018
This is a good hospital that does want their employees to WANT to work there. But, it is a hospital and the pace is very hectic and stress filled for employees.

Management at times looks like they advance more for their time served than their skills but there are some good management people here. I always felt I could talk to any of them at any time.

The hardest part of the job is the pace and the energy you spend by the time you leave. Overall the culture of the place is positive.
Pros
a good medical system
Cons
busy, fast paced, poor work life balance
Staff Registered Nurse- Medical/Surgical (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 3, 2018
As a nurse, I had great support from other staff and supervisors. They were always looking to provide opportunities for learning and growth. As with any hospital, there were issues with staff/patient ratios and sometimes our assignment made it challenging to provide the care that we desired for all patients. Overall, I loved working for Memorial and would go back in a heartbeat.
Fast pace, intense,
Unit assistant (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 9, 2018
My co workers are amazing. If it wasn’t for them my work day be even more stressful than it already is. Fun and friendly co workers for working in a high stress position.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Pay, expensive insurance they don’t care about home life
Excellent place to work. A typical day working at Memorial Hospital included learning and being compassionate.
ECC Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 2, 2018
A typical day at Memorial Hospital included not only the tasks of the Department but learning about many things which complement patient care as a whole, including compassion and empathy..
I learned many things from others and from myself, as some things learned reflected on my day to day. Time management was one of these things. Each day was an inspiration to continue helping people heal and to grow as a professional and a human being.
Organizational culture encompasses the mission, principles and values established. The behaviors of all staff contribute in a synergistic way to the unique social and psychological environment of Beacon Health System organization.
The hardest part of the job was to see patients suffer, struggle and fight against a disease they did not understand much about.
The most enjoyable part was to see smiles and friendly gestures from colleagues and patients after a successful procedure and the care devoted to each patient. It sure is a human environment where pain, sickness, healing and care combine in a kind and subliminal way. I loved working at Memorial Hospital.
Pros
Excellent Medical Service and Staff
PCA related employment
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 18, 2018
a typical day at work: long

what you learned: a lot

management: 4/5

workplace culture: N/A

the hardest part of the job: night shift

the most enjoyable part of the job: clocking out
Busy work with not too many rewards because of not enough time to follow through
Stroke Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 16, 2017
Typical day( last postion as stroke coordinator) ED to the floors.
Make rounds on the new patients
Collect for Get With the Guidelines for the American Stroke association (data abstraction and inputting)

Hardest part f my job were the hours 7-7p. Responding to all the in house pages and the 914's ( ED) strokes.

Gathering data regarding each patient stay, did they meet their metrics.
Starting the monthly meetings for the physicians.

classes to teach to the new nurses
Community involvement with classes and fairs
Pros
Salary
Cons
see above
Fast paced and everyday is different
OPERATING ROM ASSISTANT/FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 26, 2018
Assist doctors, answer phones, patient care , clean operating rooms, get equipment for surgeries, have to be a team player to work in the surgery environment
Pros
One on one with doctors for any questions
Cons
High turnover rate
A great expericne
Patient Cook, Late Night Cook (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 30, 2018
I've learn a lot working for Memorial hospital. When I worked in the kitcken and in sterile processing team work was the key to be successful preping for the next shift was very important because we have the patience well being in our hands. the most enjoyable part about working there is it's never retine, like you'll never do the same veryday
Pros
pot lucks, and secret santa
not enough hours
CPHT (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 7, 2018
was told I would be full time lots of overtime only work two days a week 8 hours a day and it doesn't appear that they are going to give me the promised hours.
Love my coworkers
Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 3, 2018
My coworkers are amazing people to work with, but you can't always trust everyone. I do not get paid enough for what I do, and it is often a very high stress job.
Used to be a great place to work
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Inpatient careJuly 18, 2016
When I first started at Memorial it was wonderful. I received a job advancement within my first year. Shortly thereafter Administration let my Director go, they merged management to two inpatient units and cut jobs. My coworkers were tightly knit and for the most part great to work with. Management was constantly changing. Benefits were not what you would expect working in healthcare. Management was not fair when it came to personal matters and the need for time off. If you weren't one of the fortunate few, your job could be in jeopardy. My advise, do you job and don't get too chummy with leadership or voice your opinions on policies or lack thereof.
Memorial went from a great place to work to a place where job security is a worry everyday.
Pros
Coworkers were like family
Cons
Benefits not good for working in healthcare, management plays favorites