Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Employee Reviews

United States1,148 reviews

Found 1,148 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,161 reviews
sloanmskketteringcancermemorialpatientinstitutionhospital

depends on who your manager is

I had somewhere between 5-8 managers. Even though my assignment was the same, it was different dependent on the manager. My last manager was the best. The hardest part was the commute.

Just okay

I’ve been with the company a little over 3 years and have worked in several depts…MSK has a lot to improve when it comes to mgmt. I can say MSK offers great benefits, but that’s as far as my pros go.

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Merit based raise? Forget about it

The company pays you exactly what they think you are worth, no amount of effort, contributions will convince them otherwise, got a exceeds expectation for your yearly eval? congrats you will be paid 3.75% , btw for be successful for your eval also nets you 3.5%. Have any input or want to pursue CEU? you can forget about it. If you work here dont expect to be promoted, management is designed to keep you right where you are.

Cons

No breaks, understaffed, overworked

Promotions

A typical day at work was to keep up with the "driver's" schedule, report all issues to supervisor and maintain a professional demeanor. What I learned in my 22 years of service about management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, and the most enjoyable part of the job:Management worked just as hard and provided all needed tools both physically and emotionally. the workplace culture was constant in its objectives. The hardest part was advancing despite the years of service. No higher education limited my growth. But the most enjoyable was the meeting of the patients and their caregivers. Priceless.

Enjoyable workplace but stressful due to job demands

Enjoyed my time here because it is a young and professional environment helping people who are very grateful. Stressful at times due to the workload.

Supportive management

I enjoy working here so far. I like the culture and most of all my department is very supportive, flexible, and there is room to grow. I can't really speak for other departments though.

Pros

Flexible, remote, good pay and benefits

Good institution

Overall the institution is very supportive for staff and has a plenty of resources to be able to find information. The institute shows appreciation towards the staff.

Great Healthcare & Great Work Place

Worked at MSKCC for 9 years and learned so much from all the wonderful people who work there. Always room for advancement. The only down fall were the the raises. Would probably still be working there today if I hadn’t moved down South.

Excellent Work Enviornment, but Demanding Hours

Like most work in the sciences, the hours are long and relatively inflexible, That said, MSK is a fantastic workplace. The building and equipment are top-level, and most of the people you encounter are brilliant are genuinely dedicated to their work. I'm grateful to have had this experience

Slowly Deteriorating Hospital

This hospital has wonderful people working there; however, there is a significant disconnect between higher management decisions and the direct clinical application. Work is continually loaded onto personnel with no recognition of the things accomplished.

Pros

Incredible connects, awesome staff to work with

Cons

Excessive micromanagement, lack of proper compensation, disconnect between management and staff

I loved working at MSK.

We were all there for the right reasons. To cure patients of cancer. We all knew the mission, we live the mission, and we all believed we could succeed in that mission.

Pros

We had an amazing culture and nursing staff was well respected

Cons

Work life balance in senior leader ship was an issue

topnotch science

Definitely one of the best places to be trained as a scientist. The labs are well funded. Core facilities are well maintained and run by competent employees.

Pros

facilities

Cons

pay (but getting better)

management

There are pros and cons while working as a management employee. The best things are ,you know what’s the policy and how it’s implemented ?When company is growing and doing well, you are one of the angels to spread such good news and motivate employees.You do enjoy several benefits and one of blue eyed employees too.The situation will reverse , when you see the company’s other side , I.e if some unforeseen situation happens like down sizing employees ( lay off). This is the hardest task I would ever see. Hope you too. Such a situation is so pathetic , how the company assets ( employees) so far we praised turn into the garbage ? So you will decide the mechanism and go to the employees stating the company situation and announce the lay off plan. It’s the worst ever situation in life every management employee faces. I wish every industry should do well and all employees are blessed. God is great!

Office Coordinator

Management needs to get a better handle, WFH policy is great and allows for some work life balance. The doctors and clinical teams are great to work with

Most enjoyable part of my job

Working with an amazing group of nurses, PCTs, food service, etc. Everyone here is so kind and considerate and wants you to be your best! The manager really encourages us to be better.

Excellent benefits

Great place to work but no growth in my role. Excellent benefits. Some managers are political.

Good place with room for improvement

Great overall benefits but internal mobility is limited depending what department you work in and management. Managers at times are out of touch with employees and seasoned employees are often times not utilized to full potential or not provided with opportunities for professional development within department, only option would be to to transfer if you’re able to.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Growth opportunities, not maximizing talent within department

Eh

worked here as a CRC for few months in a certain department. Research was mundane, manager and supervisor were micromanaging simple tasks for me to complete, and the workflow was very confusing with little to no support in understanding what I am doing. I was supporting two research arms with NO guidance.It all depends on which department you get hired in, but this specific one was the WORST. Being a CRC in an 90% remote role and 10% in person role made it so difficult to learn.Overall, I didn't enjoy the role whatsoever. Benefits, work-life balance and the flexibility in the schedule made things easier. MSK is a great place to work but MSK as a whole is NOT diverse at all.

Pros

great work life balance, great insurance benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

confusing workflow, no assistance or support from upper management

Some of the best staff I've worked with! great benefits

Great place to work as a stepping stone as a non clinical worker. 4 day work week with some Saturdays....hardest part was multitasking because of work load

Terrible Management

The job is not difficult at all but what makes the experience difficult are the management team.1. Some managers like to make an easy day difficult for employees and try to pressure employees into doing things that are not in our job description.2. Managers have a lot of free time to review cameras to see if they can find incriminating things on employees to use against them.3. if you try to move to another department, the management team will find a way to block you if they don't like you.4. The director of security knows what goes on and does nothing.

Great place for patients

Great doctors, amazing cancer science and best place to be treated. Best place for diagnosis and everyone cares about treating patience with dignity and respect.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Powered byComparably

Compare Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center with

• Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?