Memorial Sloan Kettering Employee Reviews

Overall good place to work, but can be isolating
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 25, 2018
MSK is a great hospital with fantastic staff! Management and even doctors (depends on the doctor) are very approachable. My one complaint with the workplace culture is that it can be very isolating. Outside of meetings there is not a feeling of collaboration. Maybe my department is just quiet, but I have heard from friends in other departments that they have similar feelings. My typical day is entering data and managing patient schedules on dual monitors in a cubical. Maybe there is one or two quick meets, but mostly I am at my desk all day.
Pros
Room for advancement, benefits, good mission
Cons
Can feel like you're working in a vacuum
Great place to start and stay for some.
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Monmouth County, NJSeptember 30, 2018
MSK is a great cancer hospital that offers competitive pay, excellent benefits, tuition reimbursement for relatable degrees, and opportunity for advancement (especially in NYC).
A typical day can vary depending on job function. Working within the clinical space will require one to deal with patients and families regularly. Most interactions are positive and not sad, as one might think. It is a hospital and all employees are there to help. MSK has inpatient and outpatient facilities, has supportive services and is very much like its own city.
Although there are regional facilities the greatest opportunity for advancement and learning is in the Manhattan facilities.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement after 6 months
Cons
Poor support for staff at regional sites
Great company, some people are ehh, tough to advance, Still great overall!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
I've worked at Memorial Sloan for 3 years and can honestly say the company is great! It has provided me tons of experience and a great corporate professional culture - some people are ehh and these people should not be dealing with other people (let alone patients!) but besides that Memorial Sloan is fair with pay (could be better - but it is a Non - Profit) , great with benefits, and generous with PTO.

The hardest part of the job is actually feeling like you can't advance and my reason for leaving. It is very strict corporate culture so tenured employees are all vying for a few spots. AND irregular schedules can really fry you out - not having a consistent schedule if that is something you need although you can stack days in a way that allows you to work full time and have 3 days off which is nice.

Apart from that management and my colleagues were for the most part courteous and professional and the organization itself really is world class!
Pros
Benefits, Prestige, Professional
Cons
Irregular schedule, Lack of room for advancements
Your just a slave to the job
Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2018
Management is quick to pick favorites, while the others would need to do double the work. While I worked I kept overtime down to 0. But when I was off it took 2 employees to do my job. When I came back I was mocked for taking time off and made to feel bad. Management provides no assistance and plays favorites. They bend rules based on their needs, which included seniority for vacation. (People who were working there 15 years plus were bumped for their vacation by people who just came into the facility.)
Pros
Benefits, free lunch
Cons
Poor Management
A good place to work
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2018
I worked at MSK for more than 10 years. I was a lab technician/manager. I must say that the benefits were very good even though we had flex time for many holidays. The cafeteria food is very good and healthy and there is a special discount for employees. There are some opportunities to take computer classes. The new system for evaluating employees is painful. The most enjoyable part of my job was the ability to discuss results freely and attend seminars to keep up with the cancer research advancements.
Pros
discount lunches, employee appreciation day
Cons
Short lunches
Productive and great place to work
Administrative Assistant/Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2019
For the most part this is a great place to work if you work under great management and administrator. The second there is a change in staffing everything which you thought was great can turn to not so great, even for the most optimistic person.
Pros
Benefits, salary, other perks
Cons
Poor leadership and management in most departments hurt staff
Great Place
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2019
One of the best places to work at. Great people, amazing mission, good structure. Very prestigious place with amazing benefits and PTO. Every department has its quirks but overall the mission drives everybody to succeed.
Pros
structure, mission, paid time off, benefits
Cons
Micromanagement, hard to move up/get promotion
Ok
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2018
Obvious the hospital is resting on its reputation. The soul and spirit is gone. Patients seem pleased. I suppose it's the face that matters here more than anything. If you're all about the patients expect to be one of the few doing most of the caring. Obvious downgrading of expectations in hiring in most departments. Good benefits.
benefits
Cons
Management cliques, petty medical staff, all face and little substance
Pay Grade not in Align with my Salary.
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2018
I was not paid the amount of my Pay Grade of Senior Level Engineer/Project Manager, I was being paid at the grade level of a Project Manager for 6 1/2 years. My departmental management kept telling me my grade level and pay would be in align, but that never happened and the people who hired me were let got.
Pros
I like the MEP project work.
Cons
Poor Salary.
Stressful work environment
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2018
Can be a very rewarding place as you help patients in needed. Management does not value the work people put into the job. The amount of work one is expected to do on a day to day can be unrealistic which can cause an overwhelming amount of stress.
Benefits
Cons
management
Good hospital
Environmental Services Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
Good cancer hospital. Employees are friendly and welcoming. Management in my department work with you when personal or family issues arise. Benefits are good too
good place to work
Advisory LAN Server Specialist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 25, 2018
Good place to work, they just need to change the work culture. They offer really good benefits and matching 401k plan. The work atmosphere is very relaxed. They just need that cohesiveness to blend teams together.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
need to change work culture
Senior Care Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2018
Great place to work! But the environment varies by department but overall great! Excellent benefits, tuition reimbursement and other perks. Also ability to grow within the company
Excellent place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYOctober 8, 2018
The staff at Sloan Kettering were amazing to work with. Also, the role we played in assisting patients for daily medical visits helped me grow in confidence.
Pros
health benefits, managerial structure
Employees were not allowed to converse with another other than work related.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
A happy office is a “productive” office. Employees that are respected will and always put their best foot forward to make the business shine and prosperous.
Pros
Health and overall benefits are good
Cons
Sometimes due to certain circumstances an employee can’t take breaks
So-So. Decent pay, decent benefits
Messenger (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2018
Wasn't what I expected. bad management. decent pay and decent benefits, but bad work culture. I'm not sure I would recommend a friend of mine go to this job.
MSKCC Summer Intern
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2018
I did a project for half year in MSKCC. The work environment is very friendly and collaborative. My manager and manager's manager are always supportive and open mind to listen my opinion. They provide training to every new rookie and then assign work and evaluate with you regularly. You may adjust your work schedule and intense by yourself. Besides, they bring the stakeholders for you when you need to cooperate cross teams. In words, MSKCC is a very friendly and supportive work environment.
Pros
Relaxing work environment
Cons
Compensation is not very high.
One of the top companies in the business
Senior Research Technician, Genomics Core (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2018
MSKCC is truly one of the best institutions to work for. Salary is not great but better than a lot of others. I had some problems with management but I was probably somewhat unlucky regarding who I was assigned to work for. Over all it's a pretty good place to work.
Pros
decent pay, top of the line technology, great location
Cons
difficult middle management
Institution driven by innovation
Assistant Manager Cytogenetics Laboratory (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2018
Excellent Hospital with good benefits. Difficult to introduce improvements. Antiquated and disjointed LIS system. Poor communication between departments.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
lack of advancement
n/a
Clinical Nurse III (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2018
Learned a lot, love that the hospital is a teaching hospital. Room for growth and salary is competitive. Management is great, and my co-workers have all been wonderful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Memorial Sloan Kettering. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

Powered by Comparably