Memphis Zoo Employee Reviews

volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2018
The workplace was very relaxed, managers were very encouraging. on a day to day basis, the workload was very light, nothing too strenuous. Best months to volunteer for work is May-August, many customers visit for excellent sea lion shows zookeeper interaction and docent information sessions.
Fun place with wonderful animals
voulnteer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 2, 2018
Its a hard job and takes a lot of dedication to work there for free but the animals I work with are amazing and love them so much I learned a lot about responsabilaty
Na
Seasonal Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 7, 2018
Great environment, you get to see the animals and learn new things. Great starter for teenagers. Fun place to work and experience different cultures..
Sales Clerk
Retail clerk, seasonal part-time (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 18, 2018
This is a seasonal, part-time position in one of the Memphis Zoo gift shops. I took this position because I enjoy being at the zoo, but I am capable of doing much more than this position requires. I would like to return to work in a research environment.
You don't get the opportunity to get promoted without 2-3 years experience but they keep you doing the same thing every day.
birds and bungie keeper (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 26, 2018
Pay is very low. No opportunity to gain experience in other areas. If your goal is to be a zookeeper or higher then you will have to go elsewhere to get experience.
one fun work place to enjoy and learn from
Visitor Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 29, 2018
This job was one of my favorite as well as one that i learned a lot from and really enjoyed the things that I learned. It offered great experiences and a great individuals.
Very fun workplace. Not a great place to work if trying to raise multiple children. The job comes with a lot of responsibility and no pay to go with.
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 5, 2018
Fun job but a lot of responsibility and does not pay very well. The benefits are extremely good but the health care plan is poor. The work environment is very exciting. The team always comes together like a family to pull off certain events. As a non profit organization the pay is not very well.
Pros
Free Zoo tickets
Cons
Healthcare unaffordable
Great Place to work
Volunteer Desktop Support Admin (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 4, 2018
I was a volunteering at the Zoo, but if I had a choose to work there I would. Everyone there really enjoys their job, and is very excited to come to work.
Pros
Learn new things everyday
Fabulous ZOO!
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  2000 Prentiss PlaceFebruary 28, 2018
One of the top 5 Zoos in the nation; and among the top 15 in the world! Very beautiful, well kept animals and grounds. Employees go extra mile to make Guests' visit pleasant and memorable.
Pros
Wonderful environment and animals.
Cons
Unpredictable work hours/days
fun work place
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 9, 2017
everything was up to part the staff was nice respectful it was nothing that i didnt like about the zoo the management was understanding and fair to everyone
Current Job Description
Bamboo Specialist/Horticulture Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 24, 2017
A typical day at work consist of deciphering between certain plants to put into certain exhibits. Landscaping and supervising a greenhouse. I also supervise a bamboo farm for the zoo. The zoo offers a upbeat work environment. The hardest part of the job can be the weather which is not a big deal. The most enjoyable part of the job is the positive impact it makes on the families that visit on a daily basis.
Awesome place to work with awesome people to work with
Zookeeper (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 23, 2017
Working at Memphis Zoo was a great opportunity for me. I love working with animals and it was an absolute dream come true. And the people were great to work with. I still talk to some of my closer friends from there.
Drama and cliques.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 9, 2017
Organization is too top heavy, too many people not communicating to where jobs can't be done effectively and efficiently. No job training nor information provided about protocols involving dangerous animals. This was definitely NOT the great learning environment and experience I thought it would be to help my career. This is a dead end.
Pros
You see cool animals
Cons
Everything else. Lack of teamwork.
Easy going and interesting workplace
Zookeeper (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Feed and clean after animals, and filling time with various projects. Manual, somewhat hardworking labor. Very interesting work and lots of activity. Easy to get along with co-workers.
Pros
Easy going and Flexible
Cons
Shortage of pay and hours
horrible, unprofessional, lack of skills in all depts.
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 21, 2016
The place is great to visit but a sincere drag to work for. The morale is awful! Lack of training in every dept. Lack of communication in every dept. People skills are at the bottom of the barrel. The mgt. lacks of education and lack of compassion. The whole admin. Needs a clean sweep. The reception desk is a total joke.
Pros
Being outside. seeing the animals
Cons
lack of skills period!
Fun and productive
Stocker/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 12, 2016
Fun and busy usually everyday. Management taught e how to have fun at work and be productive. The hardest part is finding where things go .
Eh
Tram Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis tnAugust 19, 2015
The zoo, at least in the rides department, is an alright place to work if you dont mind handling rude people every now and then. Especially on Tuesdays.
Pros
Fun place, caring management
Cons
Free Tuesdays
Very productive and fun internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 15, 2015
I loved interning here. I met some wonderful life long friends here. I learned a lot about management overall. The most enjoyable part about this job was the "free-range" I had in regards to my duties.
Pros
Get to be outside all day
Great place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 14, 2015
The zoo is a great place to work. There are great people and you meet people from all over the world. You don't make much but you get discounts on food and events and you get in free whenever. A good place to learn and advance
Pros
Free entry, Free tix, Discounts, learn alot, decent breaks
Cons
low wages
amazing work environment and workers.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  memphis tnSeptember 30, 2014
get the tram ready for the day.
check in at different check points.
maintain a great attitude and smile with guest.
manage money and tickets.
relay information to guest.
memorize tour speech.
loved the management and co workers.