Menards Employee Reviews

very productive
Sales (Former Employee) –  Princeton, INSeptember 22, 2018
the job gives you plenty of opportunity to better yourself with customer service.and gaining knowledge of the products you sale as well as ways to better the way you do your job
Wouldnt reccomend.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 22, 2018
You get mailed in rebates and scan them for half the night and the other half you type in customer info.

The only good thing about this job is that you can listen to music. Really quiet nobody talks.

Management is terrible and very strict rules.

My manager and leads were very poor, yelling and swearing at you when you make a mistake and they play favorites.

I'd say dont work here unless you're truly desperate.
Pros
You can listen to music
Cons
Managment, strict rules.
Loved working there
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IASeptember 21, 2018
Menards was a great place to work and I really enjoyed it. We all helped each other and got the work done. The hardest part was trying to find a place for new items when there wasn't enough room.
Stay Away
Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rolla, MOSeptember 21, 2018
Rolla Menards has the worst upper management team ever. The GM yells at everyone through the radio. They treat their managers very bad and they have no respect for anyone. They care about making money, selling things and that's it. Managers only get paid about 75 cents more an hour than full timers but managers get yelled at more. Worst place I have ever worked.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
poor management.
Fun place to work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INSeptember 20, 2018
Fun place to work but the hours would not allow you to have time with your family. really into promoting within the company. when said and done its a good place to get a job right out of high school to gain experience.
Pros
promoting
Cons
training
Easy and Productive place to work
Product Builder Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IASeptember 19, 2018
- Management was understanding and Reasonable
- I learned about various tools and other hardware products.
- I would stock and clean the isles as well as provide assistance to guests with their question and products.
- There was no hard part of the job.
- I was able to socialize with all kinds of people that visited the store.
Pros
Various learning experience
Fun
Asst. Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 19, 2018
Working for menards is more like working with your family, a little crazy at times but rewarding and fun. You meet life long friends. And ips is a really good bonus to work there.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
A lot of on your feet and hours
Great company to work for
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2018
This company takes care of there employees and the training you get is great it was a fun busy relaxed company to work for I was a manger it got hectic at times and had to work a lot of hrs but the bonuses and profit sharing was great I would recommend someone to work there
Pros
Take care of there employees
Cons
Work a lot of hrs
Good
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Crest Hill, ILSeptember 18, 2018
Good spot to get your feet wet, and learn how to interact with customers. Learned a good amount while I was there, and usually were very accommodating.
Love this company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SD 57401September 18, 2018
This is a great company to work for. There is generally a lot of flexibility in the schedule, depending on the manager you work for, but I did not like having to work holidays without the option of having it off.
didnt care
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Crestwood, ILSeptember 17, 2018
worked here for 5 months the managers are disorganized, make it hard to take days off for family events. have meetings every month a night and not the usual morning.
Very good company
Millwork Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INSeptember 17, 2018
A typical day is making sure that all guests are cared for and they find what they are looking for. I learned a lot about organization and people skills. I enjoyed working there a lot.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
A lot of walking
Flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 17, 2018
I haven't worked with Menards for a long period of time. I enjoy working there but, I can't handle being on my feet on the hard concrete floor. I love working with the guest and mixing the paints. Stocking shelves isn't bad work either.
Pros
Flexible work hours.
Cons
Working on the hard floor is too hard on my feet.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MISeptember 17, 2018
Menards gave me a lot of product knowledge and gave me training so i could make small and friendly talk with our guests, i learned how to be a salesman and learned how to work in retail.
This is not a company that values their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOSeptember 17, 2018
They always say promote with in. They may promote with in, but when they decide whom they are putting in management positions. Has nothing to do with qualifications. They put in their friends or someone they want to move out of the department they are currently in due to poor work performance. The worst place/company I have ever worked for. None of the employees are happy with their jobs.
Poor Management Underappreciated
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IASeptember 16, 2018
Lack of qualified management, a lot of gossip, a lot of favoritism, poor time management, poor people skills, customers were fun, contractors were enjoyable, profit sharing was nice
If you fallow Menards rules and their customers (guest) don’t like it they will ask you to go against Menards rules by bullying you at work and compla
Head cart pusher (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 15, 2018
There is favoritism by management there but customers bully me there on a daily basis. They change secuadial, give out to coworker days you work witho
Pros
None treated horrible there and currently looking for a job
Cons
Bullied by customers, my schedule given to coworker without my permission, statement changed
it's a good job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Celina, OHSeptember 15, 2018
i liked that i was able to work one day out of the weekend and not having to work both days. the job was flexible with hours and the pay raise was monthly - or seemed that way anyways. it's a good job for anyone who likes fast paced and is customer service oriented.
Pros
good money
Cons
management can suck, drama too
A decent job
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 15, 2018
I've been working for Menards for five months now. I just recently got a promotion to a Head Cashier and it's very fast paced. If I'm not helping my cashiers I'll be putting away carts, taking out garbages, putting returns in the correct carts, and doing clerical work as needed.
If you're interested in working for Menards take this advice: Talk with your supervisor/schedule maker and let them know what you're available for! They will schedule you for 12 hour days 6 days a week if you don't tell them otherwise! Most of the managers are very good with accommodating to schedules and always respect my time off requests.
Everyone at Menards works as a team, and so at the end of the day we leave as a team. If one department needs help, you're sure all departments and cashiers will be over there giving them a hand. For the most part all of my coworkers are respectful, with an exception of the young (under 18) courtesy patrol boys.
The hardest part of the job is giving breaks on time. I'm human, and it's hard to keep track of every 30 minutes someone going on break.
If you apply for menards as a cashier, expect to stay a while after closing the store. Cashiers are responsible for putting away returns and taking out the garbage at the end of the night, also helping departments as needed.
Pros
PRD Discount, work as many hours as you want, promoted from within
Cons
lots of part time workers doing full time hours
Friendly work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ILSeptember 14, 2018
Good place to work. Fun working environment. Management is good. Flexibility in your work schedule. Employee discount. Opprotunity for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menards. Our community is ready to answer.

51K
41.6K
31.3K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

73out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Menards.