Menards Employee Reviews

Found 5,098 reviews matching the search See all 5,109 reviews
If I hadn’t had to relocate due to divorce, I would have stayed with this company until retirement.
Wall Coverings Soecialist (Former Employee) –  Antioch, ILJanuary 16, 2019
Menards Inc is a wonderful company to work for. I learned more in 2 years there than I had at any previous retail or salon. They offered in home training and in store training
Pros
We were always given adequate breaks.
Cons
No windows.
Outside yard team member (Former Employee) –  Stark County, OHJanuary 15, 2019
Busy days but its keeps you busy and out of trouble. Management is very understanding and flexible with schedules. Hardest part of the job is learning where all the product is.
Great place for seasonal work
Hardware Stocker (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 15, 2019
As a morning stocker you come in before opening and leave around noon. The work is simple enough. The hardest part is answering customer questions. This is made easier, because Menards provides free online courses with technical knowledge covering just about everything in store. You are free to pursue these courses as you see fit. If you keep getting questions about deck screws, you take a course on deck screws. If no one asks about ground stakes, then you skip over that one. Overall the workplace was laid back and very flexible. The management was very friendly and understanding.
Pros
Flexible hours, good benefits and room for advancement
Cons
Pay is on the lower end of the spectrum
Fun
Planogram Team Member (Current Employee) –  Wixom, MIJanuary 15, 2019
It’s a fun place to work. The hours were good and most employees are nice. Rarely are you alone in a department and there is always someone around who can help you.
Fast paced
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAJanuary 15, 2019
Typically non stop work. It was very busy. Management was great. They understood family came first. Hardest part of the job was the first few days getting to know everything, other than that it was a cake walk
Pros
the people
Cons
short or no breaks
The training for Menards was not very good.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Menominee, MIJanuary 14, 2019
The manager was not very good manager on the night shift. She would threaten and call the workers names. She would threaten to write up everyone that worked under her on her shift.
Pros
When we would work a weekend shift we would get our hourly wage plus an extra 2.50 moreper hour.
Cons
The management was very poor, would call employees names and threaten to write up the whold shift.
Courtesy patrol is great for robots but bad for people
Courtesy Patrol (Current Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILJanuary 14, 2019
I find my position to hold a high turnover rate from low respect, high doubt, and bad teamwork; these from positions of supervision and management. you are not taught the necessary facts, rules, and guidelines until you break one of them. while this position would make sense to have a high turnover rate, most people leave out of frustration of how they're treated. when people ask questions you can't answer them because you were never taught the answers.
Instead of making sure you know information going into the job they will occasionally, teach you important things you didn't know. when talking to my peers with more experience I've found out that every offer supposedly given by Menard's has some sort of trick to get out of helping and being a supportive employer. STAY AWAY. negative of responsible and accurate
Pros
on-clock bathroom and water breaks, ride small electric carts back to the entrance of the store, help people sometimes.
Cons
30 minute lunch, 15 minute break, physical pain, no days off, work sick.
Productive & fun place.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 14, 2019
It's a fun place to work & I like the other associates I work with. They have some good benefits for their employees. Management, for the most part, treated me good.
Pros
Paid every week.
Cons
No paid vacations.
Good place to start a young career
Department Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rhinelander, WIJanuary 13, 2019
It was a pleasure to work at Menards. I left based on differences with co-worker. Hard work. A lot of internal co- worker tension. I enjoyed the chance to work there.
Pros
Nice upper management
Cons
Short time for breaks
Good pay and good hours but management is unprofessional
Courtesy Patrol Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJanuary 13, 2019
It was not a bad job but they were very vulgar at times and I left because a general manager started shouting profanities at me for not doing my work without any indication of that being the case. They get overwhelmed when we get busy.
Productive and Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 13, 2019
Good baseline occupation that offers a variety of tasks in order to keep you busy during your shift. Lots of advancement opportunities as well as the potential for different roles inside your station.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, Flexible Breaks, Flexible Positions. VERY flexible workplace.
Cons
All contractors smell like cigarettes
Productivity
Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 12, 2019
I enjoyed working for Menards in the beginning of my career. A typical day at menards includes stocking for about 4 hours and working very hard. If your not in good shape this is not a job for you. The culture tends to change depending on your General Manager, which that changed quite frequently. The hardest part of your job is trying to please all your different managers. One manager will say one thing and the other manager will say another.
Fun place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJanuary 12, 2019
I loved the work I did at Menards. I loved assisting customers, and I loved everyone I worked with. My department manager was the best manager I ever had. I would work there again.
Pay is decent, but management needs work!
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Sycamore, ILJanuary 12, 2019
Good place to work if you have a very flexible schedule, or if you are currently enrolled in school! As long as you show up and do your job correctly you have no need to worry about job security!
Pros
Job security
Cons
Extremely inconsistent hours
Pretty good employer overall
Assistant Manager - Floorcoverings Dept (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 12, 2019
Menards is overall a good place to work but can be, like many jobs, monotonous and frustrating. They train team members well. Menards has perfected dangling the proverbial carrot in front of your nose, usually just out of reach.
Pros
Dept managers would normally work with your schedule for some flexibility
Cons
Very persistent about disciplining petty things, without any rewards for going above and beyond what is normal.
A typical retail job
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WIJanuary 12, 2019
Menards is profit focused. The internal management is focused on their friends. You get treated better if you party with the big wigs. There is a lot of criticism as well.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
Not family oriented
Great Part-time job
Sales Team Member (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 11, 2019
Ideal for part time work because of the flexibility but advancement isn’t worth it. No department is willing to train employees to fully become knowledgeable of products. Menards is like a soap opera with how much happens behind the scenes.
Pros
Flexibility, co-workers
Cons
No training, poor childish management
Tipp City, Ohio has racist culture doesn't retain minority staff or managers.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tipp City, OHJanuary 11, 2019
I originally applied to a job ad that said they were hiring for full time cashiers but when I got there they said we only have part time so I took it. There is not a good work life balance due to the fact that they want you to have open availability or you don't get hours. I was refused all opportunities for advancement, followed by the store manager to my car after I said I need to go home sick, that was totally harrasement on his part., should be on the camera.

They will work you every Saturday & Sunday.
They tell you you can request days off but most of the time they won't give it to you.

There are no minorities in upper management the store is segregated.

There are almost no minorities who work in the departments either.
I hope the corporate office takes a look at my exit interview if they don't throw it in the garbage.

Hope something changes
Good luck
Pros
Friendly customers.
Cons
Minorities want to work there but they are pushed out by management.
fun place to work but customers are very rude
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 11, 2019
often time would be passed by stocking shelves and helping out customers with finding items in the store. Often customers were in and out fairly quickly but managers were great.
Product work place with good management
Recieving/yard laborer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 10, 2019
It was a good place to work with a lot of nice people. It is not a place that I had planned on being for a long time. They worked with my class schedule.
Pros
Discounts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menards. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Menards.

Powered by Comparably