Menards Employee Reviews

Found 5,257 reviews matching the search See all 5,273 reviews
Good Company. Terrible Pay
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIMarch 18, 2019
I know it is a retail job, but if they want to keep intelligent, caring employees, they need to pay more. For high school age employees, the pay is fine. But they need to offer higher pay for those people who deserve it, and who have the knowledge base that earns it.
Pros
Flexible house
Cons
Horrible Pay
A pretty meh place to work at.
Receiving (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 18, 2019
The pay is low, the job is generally quite easy on a day-to-day basis, Management is usually pretty understanding and nice, though everyone has their off days, methods of promotion are pretty slim, and managers tend to want to keep you where you're at rather than allow you to move around the store, learning different jobs to make yourself a more viable candidate for promotion.
Don't do it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 18, 2019
Honestly, this was a terrible place to work. Hours were not very flexible (which was a problem being I was a student at the time), and management was very strict with everything tied to the job.
great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clio, MIMarch 17, 2019
great retail job that can easily make into a career. great hours and good working environment. also you are compensated well through the sales you make.
Just terrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHMarch 17, 2019
Horrible place to work. Some managers make overtime mandatory. GM's play favorites and are unfair to employees. No sick days but can use vacation days for days missed.

Healthcare benefits are terrible. Does not include vision. Doctor visits are discounted but we still pay close to $100 per doctor visit even with insurance.
Cons
short breaks, healthcare is terrible.
Some poor management
Building Materials/Millwork Manager (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 17, 2019
I enjoyed working here mostly but some of the management is poor. I have had good and bad experiences with managers here as I was one too but many wait to tell you things until the last second of the day.
Good pay and flexible hours, but stressful environment
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 17, 2019
Working in the Front End at Menards offers good pay, flexible hours, and good management. Tasks are varied throughout the day and there is rarely a shortage of things to do. The environment can be stressful due to high traffic at the checkout lanes.
Meeting new people
Electrical Department Manager - 1st Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 17, 2019
Literally lives in Menards, you lose your life and personal time. What you would feel excited about going to work each day is what type of people are you going to encounter today. Are they going to be nice to you or will they treat you as a stupid sales person who is there to serve them.
Pros
30 minutes lunch break, 10% discount
Cons
long days of work every time
Great company to start a new career
Professional Truck Driver, Full-Time and Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Valley, NE Distribution CenterMarch 16, 2019
I applied at Menards Distribution Center right after completing truck driving school and obtaining my CDL. They were very helpful in giving me an opportunity to learn more about trucks, trailers and loads. I started in the "yard shagers" group where I gained a lot of experience in moving trailers, backing trailers, etc. Transportation management was fairly good in supporting my career change. When I worked full-time and then part-time, the driver shift hours were hard to abide to. They ran shifts from 4AM to 4PM, 4PM to 4AM, 2AM to 2PM and 2PM to 2AM. Due to shift hours, I asked to be down-graded to a part-time position and was used to fill in for driver absences, etc. Overall, it was a good experience.
Pros
Company Individual Profit Sharing, store discounts, friendly staff and co-drivers.
Cons
Shift Hours, Marginal benefits available
Stable work- no layoffs
Electrical Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILMarch 16, 2019
Only people with a good work ethic and a respect for authority should apply here. You will work hard. You will learn a lot and you will either develop a good work ethic or you will not last.
Pros
Enhances self-discipline
Cons
no paid time off
Good but Gets Slow
Sales and Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 15, 2019
I loved my job, but since I was part time my hours were drastically cut in winter. I went from 38 hours (August) to about 20 (October) to lucky to get 10 in my dept from December to February. And you get a 10% store discount but it's a payroll deduction (PRD), so they take 10% off only if you take it from that week's pay when it's deposited into your account. Management was great, and otherwise I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
In-home training, free work clothing, frequent $.10 pay raise, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Discount is kind of not a discount, minimal hours in winter
great if you can manage to be on time every shift
Grocery specialist Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Heights, MOMarch 15, 2019
Menards runs on a Points system so as long as you can obey by the points system there are a few great perks. Although I feel the policy should be changed for breaks. You have to clock out prior to purchasing your food as well as make it up stairs heat your food and eat within 30mins. That can be difficult on a busy day.
Pros
IPS and benifits
Cons
short breaks
A good job that demands a lot out of you, but will help you achieve goals.
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 15, 2019
Menards is a retail job with retail hours and retail pay.
The people are great to work with. Job advancement is at your finger tips if you are willing to put work in.
The ork can be tough and laborious but you will feel a sense of accomplishment.
Fun Job
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMarch 14, 2019
Enjoyed working at Fort Dodge, IA location. Not Ankeny, IA location. Management was more caring about employees. Job was easy and selling was easier. Enjoyed working with others in different departments. Felt as a team as a store compared to Ankeny where it was every man for themselves. No team work. Was scolded for trying to incorporate team work.
Pros
Many hours leading to more money
Cons
Working over 60 hours a week as a manager
It was an overall great experience, I loved working with people who took you in.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNMarch 14, 2019
Everyday was full of new adventures and new things to learn. Would be fun to hang out with people who became more than friends, like a family in a mater of days.
Pros
new friends. teaching experiences.
Cons
long standing hours. short break hours.
Fun place with great team members
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMarch 13, 2019
Everyone is super helpful when you're first learning what to do. I get paid more than i expected to from a retail job and the extra 3 dollars an hour on weekends really helps!! They dont match 401k investments but other than that benefits are solid!! Love working here and dont plan on leaving any time soon.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, extra $3/hr on weekends
Cons
Health insurance is very costly
Work was rewarding
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portage, INMarch 13, 2019
If you're willing to work hard and are open to learning new things and learning about other departments aside from your own than their is room for plenty of raises
menards
Cashier & Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, MNMarch 13, 2019
it was a good place to work for highschoolers but you have to work 100 plus hours a week to be able to live anywhere on your own. the pay is terrible. almost as bad as my typing.
Quiclk-paced job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMarch 12, 2019
This job was the best for advancement and promoted people from the ground up, so there was always a chance to advance your position. Your opinion and voice was always heard and considered and the managers made everyone feel like they were important. The job made work not seem like work. It was a fun job.
Pros
Lunhces were provided sometimes
Cons
Sweating at work from heavy boxes
n/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INMarch 12, 2019
Too much favoritism and drama with managers and team members. Business was too slow most of the time, they never give you any tasks to do as a cashier. You stand at a register for your whole eight hour shift.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menards. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.8K
31.5K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Menards.

Powered by Comparably