Menards

Based on 4,080 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Potential missed by poor management

Decent wages for retail, but management is greedy. I applied for full time, but was told no positions were available so I had to take a 36 hour work week average with part time employee wages. When the managers get their bonuses, they will cut your hours for 6 months. I got a $2.20 raise in my first year, but made less per week as a result of the hour inconsistency. Then they keep you over an hour after close to do someone else's job while the managers stand, watch, and talk, and punish you the next day for going over your hours. I liked my job, but the management ultimately ruined it for me - if your goal isn't to grow within Menards as a business for the rest of your life, they offer zero support for your career growth.

Pros

Good starting pay

Cons

Short breaks, management sucks, no benefits

Some good some bad

Profit sharing is decent and department leads are usually pretty good. Only a few managers who I personally would change. If in building materials or outside yard pay should be increased for the amount of work and manual labor required. Always cleaning up after guests. An ok place to work.

Okay place to work if you need to pass the time, but it will try to suck you in for more hours. This place will distract you from your goals if you let it. Good part-time positions, but receiving and OSY pay the best. Management positions are not worth pulling your hair over. Not for only a dollar raise and maybe a 300$ bonus once a year for it.

Pros

Bonus if you work long enough, Strict Part-time availability, Open hours the majority of the time for good work ethic.

Cons

Corporate involvement, pay rates, benefits are expensive for no reason.

Corporate sucks, pay is questionable

Retail sucks in general but this one was sneaky. I was excited to work here when I got hired because of their "we treat everyone like family" line, but after 2 years I see the problems. Corporate doesn't care about employees, they dangle in store credit for working overtime, and are currently dangling hazard pay over our heads. Management doesn't get that much more pay than part timers, and nobody trains their workers anymore. Menards need to reassess their goals because they're losing money trying to do things the old way.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Benefits suck, corporate sucks, no training, low pay

Do not work here if you have a busy life

Absolute garbage sceduling with no consideration for outside life. They constantly tried to to make me work more and more hours while I was in school and did not respect the days I said I could not work.

Pros

Pay is relatively good

Cons

They do not train you on anything more than the basics. Poor sceduling. Munipulative

Good job for students needing part time work

They were flexible for my schooling and give pay increases to work weekends. Lunch breaks were very short but it never bothered me much. Lots of training to help you get started

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Short lunch

Good starter job

Easy money, expect to stay over shift if a large truck of inventory comes in (even at the end of your shift). Management never sticks around and is not very helpful

Pros

Pay is nice for first job

Cons

Short breaks, mediocre management

Overall Good Experience

Menards was a great place to work for the part time position I needed at the time. There wasn't much training prior to starting the position, mainly on-the-fly training which was overwhelming at first but job knowledge came with time.

Pros

Good work environment overall

Cons

Breaks are short and scheduling isn't consistant

Great place to work at with great management

Ive been employed here for 3.5 months, and im very happy i chose this place. Great department management, and very friendly store managers. Also, very great pay. I highly recommend it!

Pros

One 15 min break, and one 30 min break. Great pay

Cons

Need more workers, needs better department managers in some departments

Low pay

Fun place to work. Horrible benefits and pay. Never a hard job to come into. Assistant managers get it the worst. Full time is required 40+ hours a week average or you will get demoted.

Overtime

Workung slot with overtime. Pay has gotten better. Good for students. Open 24/7. Better pay at distribution centers. Heavy work and dirty. Environment

Pros

Most self supervised

Cons

Should pay better . Because of the physical labor. Hard on body.

Keeps you busy

Management could be better, but overall decent place to work for. At times it gets stressful, but you learn a lot (as a outside yard team member). Pay is pretty nice.

Pros

Pay, keeps you busy, flexible hours

It's an alright job

I really enjoyed my time there (3yrs). They payed well enough while i was in college to get by. My store was flexible and willing to work with my schedule. The worst part was the guests (but thats a given in any retail job). Overtime is definitely possible. Corporate will send out little gifts for each holiday.

Pros

Pays well enough for a college job, part time. Managers can make a good living

Cons

the guests, the pay isnt great.

Nice extra pay on the weekends

Great place to work for the extra money on the weekends. You learn a lot about home improvement, and the discount they provide to do your own home projects is nice.

Pros

Extra pay for weekend work

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Cares more about money then the people making them money.

A typical day is coming in and getting told you have to make the store more money, getting degraded by local contractors that you then have to put up with day after day, and then end your day feeling less than and not even getting a thank you from your management team. The upper management at the stores in town are trickle-down managers. They push everything off to the next manager/supervisor down the ladder and don't correct or take care of issues unless it ends up getting to the general office. There are some very great people that work at these stores and you will feel camaraderie with these people because they will know the struggle you are going through. Finally, this company used to give bonuses but have taken all but one away and pay is barely above minimum wage. You can make more starting at any restaurant then spending any time working for Menards. You don't get merit raises or even yearly percentage raises, you get ten cents every six months.

Pros

Ok to watch tv on your phone, just don't get a complaint about it.

Cons

The culture, the work environment, and the "leaders" are all cons in this company.

Ok job

It's a job, the people I worked with were good while they were there. Seen many leave or get fired. Hours depend on how busy it is. Hard to get hours during winter.

Cons

Super strict clocking in and out. With a point system to stress you out.

Tedious work but good pay

You get 12 bucks an hour on weekdays and I think 14 on the weekends, so that's really good. And during COVID they ramped it up but I'm not sure if that pay is still happening, but it was easy money, just tiresome and laborious work. And I was a morning stocker and I needed to get up at 4am almost every morning in the summer, so that was bad, but the pay was worth it. Their hours are really flexible.

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours

Cons

Hard and boring work, really early mornings if you're a morning stocker

Good people

The on-site management at the board plant were great people. Co-workers were mostly great, the pay was great, profit sharing is available and it is very easy to take time off. The insurance is terrible though, so if it is a deal breaker this job isn't for you

Pros

People, hours, pay, profit sharing.

Cons

Insurance

Great place to work as a part timer

Menards was a great place to work as a part timer while going to college. Very flexible hours to work around school schedules and good pay for the position.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Short breaks

Decent

the job itself is decent, you get any requested days off approved. management is good for the most part as long as you do your job. sucks having to work weekend but you get paid more for weekends so it is what it is.

Job isnt bad, but benefits are terrible. Nothing to protect you in case a emergency arises

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Menards is good.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Menards are expensive and there is nothing to cover emergency situations