Menards

Team Member357 reviews
United States357 reviews

Found 357 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,124 reviews

Great teamwork

I work outside unloading flatbeds and helping guests when they needed help. The one thing I liked is if you needed help loading up a guest there was always someone to help. Overall great place to work we have great management in the yard

Not bad as a part time job

As a job during college its not to bad. The hours are flexible and the pay is fair, but that's about the only positive aspect. There really is no "training" management practically just dumps you with a co-worker and says good luck. The only problem is that's very likely how that co-worker was trained as well. Even with 'heavy machinery" i.e. forklifts, management don't actually train you. You watch some videos and they do a basic test; drive here, lift the tines up and grab that pallet, lower it down, put it down, back out of it, drive back into it, grab it, bring it back to where it was, lift it up, put it back, back out, lower tines, drive here, test done. The customers are the worst part. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stay over an hour past close because 1 person deicide to come in to the lumber yard at the last minute, worst part is sometimes they don't even help they just sit down and let their kid shine a flashlight in your eyes. You're not allowed to hang out with your department's managers, outside of work hours (I've had other jobs where you could). The late policy is harsh. You get yelled at for even having small conversations with co-workers even if you're just asking a work related question (other departments get away with it). If you want to be a department manger or store manger in retail then I guess this would be a great place since you can get to assistant department manager in under a year if you work hard enough.

Menards insights

Based on 4,149 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Toxic and hazardous work environment with very questionable management.

There are very few good managers and employees that are underpaid, mistreated, disrespected and overworked while the majority of employees are lazy and provide horrible customer service. Better to find work elsewhere.

It's fun but stressful at times

I have had fun working here but sometimes it's stressful, some customers expect workers to know everything and we only stock, so we know where product is but not what is used for or which one is the best...Or maybe we need more training... 😅

Pros

Schedule flexibility, awesome store managers

Cons

We need better training

Good pay, reasonable hours, but really bad management.

I have been at menards for nearly two years, the only positives I can say are the pay is pretty good and some of the people are solid. The upper management is really bad. The GMs are lazy, don’t interact unless they have something negative to say. Department and assistant managers for the most part are okay, some are good workers and decent managers. Not one manager leads, they all command and expect you to follow everything they say.

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

Everything in between pay.

Laid back atmosphere

In exchange for laid back atmosphere, you are basically on your own. If you are a hard worker, highly recommend you show it right off the bat. Make friends with the few others that show effort. That way you have each other's backs. It will get really busy.

Meh

It’s just like any other corporate retail job. Strong management presence tunnel visioned on policy. It’s just that fake smile work environment. False promises from upper management constantly. Strong workers not getting proper career advancement. It’s honestly not that bad, just don’t expect to move up the totem pole unless you are that retail robot they want.

Very High Energy

Only been working at Menards for 2 months now, but it’s been a very fun and educating experience. Just lots of questions from customers and not enough employees to answer them.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

Lots of Customer Questions

Potential missed by poor management

Decent wages for retail, but management is greedy. I applied for full time, but was told no positions were available so I had to take a 36 hour work week average with part time employee wages. When the managers get their bonuses, they will cut your hours for 6 months. I got a $2.20 raise in my first year, but made less per week as a result of the hour inconsistency. Then they keep you over an hour after close to do someone else's job while the managers stand, watch, and talk, and punish you the next day for going over your hours. I liked my job, but the management ultimately ruined it for me - if your goal isn't to grow within Menards as a business for the rest of your life, they offer zero support for your career growth.

Pros

Good starting pay

Cons

Short breaks, management sucks, no benefits

Some good some bad

Profit sharing is decent and department leads are usually pretty good. Only a few managers who I personally would change. If in building materials or outside yard pay should be increased for the amount of work and manual labor required. Always cleaning up after guests. An ok place to work.

its a good job but bad flexibility

its a good job if you want to just work all make a lot of money kinda fast because you can always work. A big down side is that you must be committed to work and don't have much flexibalility.

Pros

pay

Cons

time commit

Menards DOESN'T support LGBT Staff

Upon my experience at the Menards in Cleveland, OH location on Brookpark Rd. In the beginning was fairly decent....in the beginning. It was only a matter of time before its true colors began to shine.Not only did I encounter MANY, MANY rude customers in this store due to it's location, I was hurled cold homophobic slurs by Team Members and also it's urban customers this creating a semi hostile working environment to the point where I felt uneasy going to work.Management DOES NOT support and will never support the gay community and they won't have your back as real managers should for their staff because on the end with corporations just like Menards it's all about the money and they kept the horrible team members and customers that called me those ugly names in the store just so they could make a buck. My only option was to put in my two weeks and leave.I even wrote a 2 page complaint to HR but of course...no response.I DO NOT recommend this company as an employer if you are gay because you will wind up being left in the cold by an unsupportive homophobic working environment especially by the store managers.It takes many walks of life to make the world go round... remember that.

Pros

Semi flexible schedule

Cons

Unsupportive working environment, unfriendly of LGBT people and terribly rude customers.

Okay place to work if you need to pass the time, but it will try to suck you in for more hours. This place will distract you from your goals if you let it. Good part-time positions, but receiving and OSY pay the best. Management positions are not worth pulling your hair over. Not for only a dollar raise and maybe a 300$ bonus once a year for it.

Pros

Bonus if you work long enough, Strict Part-time availability, Open hours the majority of the time for good work ethic.

Cons

Corporate involvement, pay rates, benefits are expensive for no reason.

Awful employee environment. If you’re a hard worker you’ll get as much hours as you want, that’s the only good thing. They just want warm bodies, turnover is outrageous for good reason.

fun place to work

managers are pretty nice. I like how stuff is organized and the people here are very nice. I recommend working here. i also like how everyone pitches in to get the work done. I think one thing they need to work on is offering more flexible schedules. I can sometime get difficult especially now during covid

Pros

hard-working people

Cons

the cold days can be hard

typical job overall good company

everyone is pretty nice but you can tell when stressed due to a terrible general manager. my advice is to just do your work and keep quiet. lots of mean old ladies working at the front end. and lots of department managers ready to quit. yes they’re are “favorites” here.

Pros

nice coworkers

Cons

general manager is terrible

Good job to have

I learned a lot working here. Most employees are friendly and some know a lot about everything. Helpful to new people that ask a lot of questions. Overall good experience

Corporate sucks, pay is questionable

Retail sucks in general but this one was sneaky. I was excited to work here when I got hired because of their "we treat everyone like family" line, but after 2 years I see the problems. Corporate doesn't care about employees, they dangle in store credit for working overtime, and are currently dangling hazard pay over our heads. Management doesn't get that much more pay than part timers, and nobody trains their workers anymore. Menards need to reassess their goals because they're losing money trying to do things the old way.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Benefits suck, corporate sucks, no training, low pay

Understaffed, expects too much out of the few employees they hire.

Menards refuses to hire the proper amount of people it needs. This often leaves every department, and then the entire store, understaffed which often leads to other issues. They constantly need people to fill in for carryouts (cart pushers) as well as cashiers, which was not mentioned during my initial interview. It's a ridiculous job, and the general management is poor. Find another place to work if you value your sanity. I'm glad I was able to find another job and leave this place, my mental health has improved immensely.

Pros

Paid 15 minute break every 4 hours worked.

Cons

Non-paid lunch, poor general management, understaffed, rude customers.

Do not work here if you have a busy life

Absolute garbage sceduling with no consideration for outside life. They constantly tried to to make me work more and more hours while I was in school and did not respect the days I said I could not work.

Pros

Pay is relatively good

Cons

They do not train you on anything more than the basics. Poor sceduling. Munipulative

Good co workers and decent work

Each department has great people who are willing to help out, provide the correct information for people who are asking or need to learn. Of course the occasional rudeness from people, but that's to be expected at a retail store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menards. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

40%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss