MENCAP

Working at MENCAP: 21 Reviews

United States21 reviews

It really depends on your team

This job can vary widely, it really depends on your manager and your team. If your manager is good, you will enjoy this job. It has many challenges for sure, but working with people has many rewards too!

Pros

a job that can make a difference

Cons

pay is too low, schedules can be difficult

Poor and unsupportive management

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at MENCAP is ok.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at MENCAP are poor. Compared to what I used to get, this is far less, I actually applied for the role knowing very well that the pay is less, it is because believe in what Mencap stand for and are trying to do.Job security and advancementIn terms of job security at MENCAP, I think it is not a place I see myself long term (currently looking for another role).ManagementIn general, managers at MENCAP is/are unsupportive. I believe as part of a role of being a manager, you need to understand and appreciate the people that go out and do the actual job. Have a conversation/appraisal alone (not with a supervisor a this might leave the employee feeling targeted and trapped) of your employees strength and then try to work on areas they might be struggling with, find difficult or simply do not understand. A manager is meant to be supportive, communicating with everyone and having a favourite or biased. I strongly believe that it is not what you say, but how you say it that matters. The way you address your employees will determine their productivity. Being a manager should not always be about constantly looking for flaws in someone but rather recognising the person's productivity and working together on their weaknesses without making the person feel less important or less of a human being.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at MENCAP is fair but definitely not great.OverallMy short time and experiences at MENCAP has been unpleasant, I find my manager unsupportive, I feel there is -

management are disgraceful and dont appreciate your needs or your health

i recently started working for MENCAP, staff and clients are absolutely amazing and i loved working with them, but couldn't say the same for the management as they don't care for theyre employees health and wellbeing! i recently had an operation and had to go back within 2 days as short of staff which wasnt a problem,but as the days progressed my health and pain got worse whilst on shift, i rang my area manager who told me to have a paracetamol and said if worse comes to worse i will have to wait till the morning to be sent home, this was all whilst i was throwing up in the service.Mencap management have no responsibilities for theyre staff which is appalling as the staff are so nice and would do anything for the clients! This is such a shame as i thought this was a nice business with a good cause but management needs the sack!!!!!!!!!

Very rewarding work

A 24/7 company working in the financially stretched learning disability sector. Very rewarding working with the client group, Mencap itself is somewhat under pressure through the stress of current care budgeting and loss of workforce.

Wouldn't recommend working here

I was an Assistant Service Manager. I did enjoy most aspects of the job, apart from having to provide personal care to tenants, this was NOT mentioned on job specification nor interview. Whilst working for about 2 months it was decided that ALL management had to work an on-call weekend rota, tho this also WASN'T on job specification nor mentioned at interview. I personally respeted all my support workers, however it's very much evident that not all managers do.I really would not recommend Mencap to anybody in a working capacity

Shocking

Unskilled and unqualified management, do not care for their staff, and its hours to suit them. Worst company I have ever worked for. Turnover of management is a joke! Dont know what manager you have from one day to the other. They dont listen to the shifts that you CAN do so they put you on complete different shifts. The training is poor. No training for challenging behaviours.

Pushed out if you challange management

I worked for Mencap for 6 years, I loved be a support worker and supporting people. However was I happy at Mencap NO, because your soo over worked and under appreciated. Your be guilt tripped into working all the hours under sun, dare to say no and your treated unfavourably by management. In Suffolk there is such a clicky atmosphere, and if you dare to live up to Mencap's value and Challenge you end up with a Target on your back. There is a massive bullying issue in West Suffolk with regards to an AOM, in my 6 years I seen a number of amazing staff feel they have no choice but to leave due to her treatment. Management will see it happening but, they no she appears to be untouchable so stay quiet as dont want to be her next Target. You can raise issues and grievances through the appropriate channela but nothing is done. There is a massive Hierarchy at Mencap Services and support staff are seen as the lowest of the low. I stayed so long for the people we support, sacrificed my own mental health and happiness. I would never in a million years go back to Mencap in their support services.

Pros

Cons

Too many, but big one Bullying Culture from High Management

Working for mencap

I would support residents of Mencap with day to day activities, such as washing, cooking, cleaning, shopping, Supporting residents with their finances and medication.

Worst company I have worked for ever!!!!!

Managers shout and bully staff who have to cover all the shifts that other staff doesn't turn up for as everyone is disappointed and fed up with the company. They don't care about the staff or the service users. Night staff have to stay on and do morning shifts as well if no one has turned up for that shift. Avoid working for this company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to give them one star rating but it doesn't deserve one

Pros

Cons

Bad management

Great values

I have worked at Mencap for just under 2 years now and so far it is the best organisation I have ever worked for. My manager is very flexible and understanding towards my circumstances, very opened and supportive. My colleagues and stakeholders are gold to work with and they really care about people with learning disabilities. I have progressed a lot in my current role and I feel all my hard work is appreciated and valued. I can see myself staying at Mencap for many more years.

Pros

development opportunities, training, pay, working hours

Don't work here

I lasted 3 months in this place and it is the worst care company I have ever worked for. I feel sorry for the service users and families. The manager and staff are unfriendly and rude and don't want you to make any suggestions. Some of the staff are neglectful and dangerous but when you tell the manager, they do nothing. They have just won a court case to pay the support staff less when the senior managers are paid a fortune. Luckily I now have a job in a good company that treats service users and staff well.

Pros

the service users

Cons

horrible atmosphere

An eye opener

Bitchty,clique and if your face doesn't fit forget it Management too young and unprofessional very 'chavvie' No one to talk to in confidence No reimbursement if service users soil your car,no one cares! no reimbursement for paying extra for business insurance If you work hard do amazing things with the people you support you will be completely overlooked when a promotion comes up!!!! Have now left social care and work for a wonderful charity with professional colleagues

Pros

Achieving amazing things with the people we support

Cons

No breaks, lone working, long hours, terrible managers

Official response from MENCAP

May 9, 2015
I appreciate your comments regarding your experiences with Mencap, however I am a little concerned at some of your statements regarding ''no one to talk to in confidence". At Mencap we do operate an Employee hotline that can be accessed anonymously. Your People Business Partner is also available to discuss any concerns with as well. If you still have concerns that you have taken away with you, I would welcome the opportunity to listen to you. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards Rob Walker FCIPD, Head of Resourcing, Royal Mencap Society. rob.walker@mencap.org.uk

The worst management and people skills

I used to turn up to work finding my shifts had changed without being told and 1 to 1's and pushing people forward to achieve their potential was last on their list. Support workers usually got on well and would stick up for each other, though I am aware since I have left it has become dog eat dog in the strive to make your colleagues look bad in comparison. I have learnt that to be in management you must first stick together as a sort of clan and over work and exploit your staff. Making support workers find their own cover when they are unwell was not helpful to those being ill and I would usually be there to cover for others but if you expected a fellow worker to help you the choices and helpfulness of staff were slim and even though they have managers on call do not except help there either. Don't get me wrong most staff were usually chatty, nice and would work as a team but in some circumstances such as illness cover not so. The manager was ok we usually got online but that is only because you learnt to grin and bare the poor management. However, you could usually get annual leave with short notice and your mileage was covered but don't expect it to pay for wear and tear on your beloved car and unlike others meal costs are not covered when you take them out. I loved the people we support and enjoyed trips out and even just empowering them to do small tasks as I felt I was making a difference to their lives and they seemed to be thankful for that always making pictures for me and saying thank you which is more than can be said for some the staff who made it so much harder -

Pros

service users

Cons

Do not put pwss first, no management skills, no backing or help and a lot of staff are very selfish, don't care if you resign, etc.

Official response from MENCAP

May 9, 2015
I am sorry that you feel that your experience with Mencap was not all that was expected. As a responsible employer we do take the concerns raised by our employees seriously and would always want to listen to all comments raised. Should you feel that you would like to discuss some of the challenges that you mentioned within your review please contact me. With regards to shifts being changed at short notice, unfortunately within any care environment, cover is one of those priorities that continually change and leaving the PWLD without access to support is not an option. I can promise you that I could provide you with lots of examples each and every week where managers step into the breach at short notice and do take on additional responsibilities. I appreciate that you may have felt that you experienced difficulties with some managers, however I would like to assure you that 99.9% of our 800 + managers are professional committed and hard working.I look forward to hearing from you with regards to any concerns that you still may have.Kind regardsRob WalkerHead of Resourcing Mencaprob.walker@mencap.org.uk

Good work / life balance with great opportunities

I have had a very positive experience working for Mencap. I have been well managed and supported in my efforts to learn more about the organisation through the Top Talent programme. The most rewarding part of the job has been working with the people we support in order to help them achieve their goals. This gives you an enormous sense of professional pride.

Pros

Well Managed / Supported, Opportunities to advance through the top talent programme, Supporting others to achieve their goals.

The weirdest most unprofessional company in the world.

I wrote 3 long huge paragraphs about my experience with Mencap and only got to 11am on my first day so gave up half laughing and half crying. Lets just keep it short and sweet and say that they are the most unfriendly, negligent, unorganised company I have ever come across in my entire life. The interview was so weird I thought it must have been a set up for a hidden camera show. I was left on the street for an hour and a half on my first day because they were late and did not get in touch nor say sorry. I only lasted a week but at no point was formally welcomed or trained or even told what Mencap was all about - I was sat in a cupboard with a stepladder and an Ikea bag full of files to read that meant nothing to me because no one had even said 'Hi'. I was left alone with service users without having any training or even being told what disabilities they had or even their names - negligent to everyone involved. I was given refreshments on the fist day by a manager that on the second day I was told off for using due to 'health and safety'. God only knows. No one really talked to me all week but talked around me about how much they hated their job and how much they had to do for no money and at one point someone asked me WHY I left a job in retail for this. On my first day I had to ask if I was supposed to come back the next day because NOBODY TOLD ME TO. They just left me in the cupboard. I resigned today and nobody has even acknowledged it. lol.

Pros

you can resign and nobody will know or care

Cons

you can resign and nobody will know or care

no respect from manager

I worked for mencap for two years. From the very start I New I might not fit in. I was right all the women at the house I worked at were very lucky, didn't welcome me or involve me. That didn't really bother me until I started getting bullied by one of the staff. It was horrendous when I told the manager he didn't believe me. And when I wanted to take a greiveance procedure after it making me I'll and having to have a months off sick. He put me off by saying the other staff wouldn't stick up for me and it would be worse for me. I feel let down and totally feel worthless now. I walked out of a job I loved and now feel like the bully has won.

Support worker

The work with the service users was fantastic. The ethos scrawled all over the website is certainly something I believe in so what went wrong? - Completely unprofessional manager, full of promises, talking about colleagues behind their backs, encouraging colleagues to report each other, exacerbating already strained relationships, faking paperwork. Oh, and refusing to write references for my next employer!! For no reason, I never had so much as a verbal telling off. - What I learned? How to be back biting and dishonest with people I thought I should trust. How to put my family life last due to poor rota management...shifts cancelled on the day, rota authorised 3 days into the current rota, no communication when the rota is changed (read: turning up to shifts that no longer existed). I was expected to work almost every weekend on a part time contract. - Little to no care for service users. All motivation seemed to come to prevent a telling off from the powers above. Person-centred care is patchy at best. They definitely need to go back to having one manager per home. Support workers were left to run the home, unable to contact the manager for much of the time. When no-one is in charge then the mouthiest person runs the place, qualified or not.

Pros

Lovely service users, support for social outings/holidays is fun

Cons

No lunch/rest breaks, change of shifts without asking, expected to work overtime even though there is a huge bank of staff available.

Paid slave

I've worked in this sector for over 10 years and Mencap is the worst employer I've come across. An absolutely appalling company to work for. No union recognition, no rights, no care shown for its workforce and no care shown to the disabled. If I had a relative with learning disabilities I'd make sure they stay well away from this organisation.

Cons

too numerous to mention. just stay well away

Training is great but you have to travel a long way to get training.

Mencap need to get rid of sleep inns they should have a nightshift or some better idea? come on get rid of sleep inn so unhygenic and know private shower room and staff toilet for staff , staff have to use tenants wash areas so un hygieneic what if someone has infection or something.if they had more team leaders in stead of part time never there, managers to support the running of staff. it soon would be 5 star :)

Cons

not sure

One of the worst companies to work for!

I work for mencap for 2 years and at first they promised to bring in possitive changes but within the first 3 months of working under mencap the whole idea of being a support worker went straight out the window and their was no such thing as care or support given due to mencaps rules and regulations! This company is hurendious to work for in the 2 years I was working for them I was refused a full time contract ( even though I was working full time hours plus more) on several occasions, refused a pay rise on countless occasions! This company likes to putray itself as a caring company that puts its service users and employees first when in reality they are a lieing, cheating and uncaring company and I am so glad I got away from them when I did!

Pros

nothing!

Cons

everything!

Best Learning disability charity in the UK

Very diverse Teammates with professional work ethicsLearned how unique and gifted people with learning disabilities are.Management were proactive and worked to preserve the benefits of staff and plan for the future of the charityThe volume of work was tremendous due to the type of processing required.I enjoyed keeping the staff paid, happy and making their work that more less stressful.

Pros

cafeteria

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about MENCAP in popular locations

• MENCAP