Mendocino Coast District Hospital Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

I have learned so much working there
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, CADecember 14, 2018
I have moved up in all departments including Med-surg, ICU, ED, Nursing Supervisor and ED/ICU nurse manager. I have really enjoyed my time and growth at Mendocino Coast District Hospital. I love the people and patients that I have grown to love.
Pros
small community, room to grow as an employee, great working environment.
Cons
small district hospital which has no affiliation with a larger organization for policies
Located in an area of great natural beauty
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, CAJanuary 18, 2013
Few surgeons, so more medical patients than surgical. Many patients with chronic disease flare-ups, end of life care, and those transitioning from living at home to skilled care. Co-workers are great with positive esprit de corp. Management is recently changed at multiple levels of the heirarchy. New Director of Nursing onboard for almost a month, hasn't introduced herself to nurses or held a staff meeting. Rural area, so variations in census impact hours available to work. Current low census means using PTO to cover hours for the week. Cross training to other units has been available in the past, but may not be in future. Computer charting is newly installed and learning curve still in effect. Electronic records program selected is a Next-Gen product but seems more outpatient than inpatient based. Hospital going into bankruptcy court so future mission/services of hospital is uncertain. Work 12 hour shifts. Schedule is finalized on a monthly basis, being posted on the 20th of the month prior. Some nurses have fixed schedules, others to fill in the holes.
Pros
education hours, decent pay, good benefits, beautiful area
Cons
frequency of oncall time, using pto to make up time biweekly, bankruptcy may affect benefits