Mental Health America of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Laid back, stressful client circumstances is the nature of the job.
Intensive Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 5, 2018
You spend 60-75% of your time in the field, lots of driving. Caseload of 20 sounds small until you realize that you are the go to for every crisis as well an apartment locator for individuals with a subsidy that no one wants to rent to. Upside is that MHA is flexible and supervisors work with team to help prevent burnout. The team is supportive and open. MHA does encourage continual learning and provides many training opportunities.
You learn a lot in the position of Intensive Case Manger, bring your stamina and appetite for bureaucracy with you.
Pros
Flexibility, not office bound.
Cons
Caseload Chaos
Workplace culture
Adult Programs Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 24, 2018
MHA is a great place to begin as a social worker. Its flexible and accommodating. There is a true family atmosphere. The benefits of working here is a lot of autonomy and the ability to grow in decision making process.
Productive and fun working place with compationate staff
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 24, 2018
Dependable custodian with two years successful experience in providing cleaning maintenance services across a multitude of work environments.Compasionate staff.
Pros
Learned as much as possible.
Fun and genuine
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 15, 2017
This company really cares about the people they serve and firmly believe in their philosophy of mental health recovery. The culture is fun and flexible which is great because the work can be extremely stressful. A couple downfalls are people in upper management who are only there because they have been with the company for a while, not necessarily because they have the skills to lead/manage, and uncompetitive pay. While the agency does try to make employees happy with flexibility, that unfortunately does not pay the bills.
Lack of professionalism displayed by upper management and a playground for substandard workforce.
PSC (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 25, 2017
If you are a serious professional with high standards this is not the place for you. If you enjoy nerf gun fights and singing nursery rhymes you will fit right in with the company culture.
Housing Specialist/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 15, 2017
This is an organization in which helps improve the quality of life for the forgotten population. The Homeless. Focusing on the strengths of it's employees and always provides a management team that is easily approachable and eager to assist. Definitely a great place to work.
Great work environment!
M Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 9, 2017
Great work environment. Able to create your own schedule and see clients as you see fit. Not much micro-management from supervisor. Great workplace culture. High values in self-care and client oriented care.
Pros
no micro-management
Cons
high burn-out rate
awesome goal
LVN (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 3, 2016
The goal to assist and prepare member's who suffer from mental illness and health issues, that are also homeless. Lots of technical, clinical and life lessons learned in this position.
Pros
flexible schedule, meeting new people, working independently
Cons
transporting member's in your own car
Human Services Case Manager/Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2015
This organization provides helpful resources to the the community. My position was case manager, which I enjoyed very much. Most importantly working one on one with homeless clients, and witnessing positive outcomes.
Pros
Educational
Enjoyable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 4, 2015
I would come in at 8:40AM and begin checking all the fridges in the building. At 9:00 I stocked the food cart and make my rounds after that I will go and see if anyone needed my help. At 9:30 I would make more rounds with the cart. this will continue until 12:00PM.

A lot of the time my supervisor will call some of us to do specific things other than the food cart. These things would usually take up our entire time.

I learned that I am good with people and how well I am at tolerating bad co workers.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with a co workers who would were lazy and didn't do much and having to work with them.

The most enjoyable part the job was the feeling I got while working.
Pros
Free snacks
Great Place to work
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 13, 2015
Great staff and trainings. Their approach to Mental Health is very interesting and the clients are very engaged in the process.
Excellent Company to practice true Core values and hope for people
Team Leader/Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 15, 2014
Excellent company to work for. I enjoy the flexibility to teach, motivate, inspire my co-workers to remember why we are in the helping field to begin with. Helping them to rediscover what brought them here in the first place and seeing that light come on when they have realized their abilities once again!
Pros
Flexibility, Structure
Cons
Consistency, advancement, raises
Wonderful people
Personal Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 1, 2014
A life-changing experience. I learned so much while there. I was sad to leave. The only issue was the low pay for non-therapy degree holding staff. The first job I had ever loved.
Productive No Nonsense Management Focused On The Individual
Custodial Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 4, 2014
This company has been very good to me. When I didn't have much money I could always look forward to the paycheck every couple of weeks. I had fun meeting new people and ultimately developing my work related skills with help of course from the capable staff.
Pros
Good pay, friendly staff.
Cons
No healtcare opts.
It was a good first job in this field
Personal Service Coordinator/ Therapist/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2014
A job to learn how community mental health works. It is a job you can do and learn stuff at.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Creativity
Not a job
Student  (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2013
I learned several things
I did group work with my classmates
Pros
Learned various things.
Agenicies that Cares about Employees and Clients
RECOVERY PERFORMANCE ASSISTANT/ QUALITY ASSURANCE (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 17, 2012
In my current role with MHA I am a part of teh Quality Assurance Department. It is my job to ensure the our agency , assists clients overcoming barriers, maintaining and completing objectives and transitioning to a happy, healthy and stable lifestyle. I have learned so much appreciation for the mental health field, and an appreciation for life. I have a great working relationship with our clients and staff alike. Due to the lack of upward mobilities within the agency. The most challenging part of my job is the realization that addictions exist, crisis existin peoples lives, and all we can do is support others through their circumstances in life. , I have began to consider exploring opportunities outside of MHA. The best part of my job is asissting staff with development, training and effectively supporting our client population
benefits
Cons
lack of room for growth