Mental Health America
Happiness rating is 72 out of 100

Mental Health America Employee Reviews

United States153 reviews

mentalnonprofithealthamericacommunityorganizationprogramvolunteer

What is the best part of working at the company?The staff and the mission. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?For me it was the commute. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Its great! Everyone is very nice, knows how to do their job and are supportive of all the programs. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Groups of us would typically either all bring lunch and eat together in a board room or kitchen or we would go out within walking distance. People made the rounds to say hello in the morning but I never had anyone standing over me.

What is the best part of working at the company?Some autonomy and flexibility offered. Jobs vary greatly.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Executive director is not a mental health professional. Supervision was not professional. No benefits, low pay. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Office is gossipy and reminiscent of a typical office, but not a mental health agency or not for profit.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Worked independently most of the time, offered some freedom and flexibility.

Mental Health America insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

What is the best part of working at the company?Nothing not a good place to work. You can't grow there and they don't support furthering your education What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Everything they are si disorganized What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Unclean you get sick all the time. We have employees with COVID-19 over 3 to 4 times who have made other employees sickWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Stressful

Not recommended to anyone

The management is incompetent. The management doesn't understand the importance of Finance for any given company and they totally don't know the relevance of Finance in a decision making process.

Team was disorganized and noncohesive

Poor organizational structure and professionalism. I was microwaved and was placed in a Team with an incompetent Team leader who seemed more concerned with looking good and being liked than providing vision and guidance.

Pros

Good place to gain experience

Cons

Lack of support from management

Liked most coworkers

It was a stressful work environment and handling the call load. This job did not provide a good work/life balance. There was not an across the board disciplinary system.

Pros

Paid insurance

Incompetent Management

It was really difficult to communicate and convince the admin team about finance because they do not have any finance back ground. They don't have any sort of respect for the employees . Overall. The administration team is incompetent.

What is the best part of working at the company?Everything . The people , the environment great company What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Organization wasn’t the best What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The perfect environment with textbook culture I was sad to leave What is a typical day like for you at the company?Accounting / finance work

Good place to volunteer

The training is great and very extensive. They make sure you are ready before sending you on your own. The support is great and there’s always someone to help if needed.

Draining, but satisfying work

The work is mentally exhausting at points, but overall I had a great experience working here. The training I received made me feel prepared for each shift and has been impactful in my academic and occupational endeavors. I would highly recommend either working or volunteering here.

Welcoming and supportive environment.

MHA is in a league of its own with treating there employee’s. They are welcoming, supportive, and accommodating. Everyone at MHA truly believes in and stands by there mission statement. I hope to have a long career and advance with MHA. This is definitely possible with this agency.

Great place to work if you care about your mental health

I had a great time working at mental health america. They really care about your mental health and the workplace culture was fruitful. Management varies depending on the department and can be supportive or less supportive.

Pros

Long breaks

Cons

Management can be inconsistent

Rewarding Field

Thanks to MHA of NKY & SWOH for your expertise and training and for believing in me! I have never felt so appreciated as an employee at any prior position.

Good place for me to learn

I’ve worked for MHA for a year today and it’s one of the best jobs I’ve ever had. My supervisor is wonderful and my position is rewarding. I’m learning things I’ve always wanted to and I look forward to going to work.

Mental Health America of Fredericksburg is a great place to work

I enjoyed working at Mental Health America. They provided a peaceful work environment. We worked together as a team and everyone was respectful of one another. I loved assisting those in the community that we served and providing mental health resources.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay

Great company to work for!!!

This company supports me at every turn of my life. I am allowed to flex my time as needed. I only wish they paid more. You are not allowed to have over 40 hours a week so it makes it hard to be financially stable.

Excellent job and agency for anyone who wants to work in mental health

Please note I think some of these reviews are confused for other MHAs or national. MHAGC is a relatively small nonprofit and the CEO knows every employee by name.Best place I have ever worked. Management cares about all employees as people and individuals. Training is from scratch and comprehensive. Lots of support, emphasis on taking care of yourself, flexible schedules, shift diff, opportunities for OT.

Pros

Flexibility, support from management, recent company-wide pay increase

Cons

Difficult and intimidating subject matter

This place hires great people

I enjoyed my time working there. Management is very supportive, and they know how to respond quickly to employee moral. They try to make things fun and interesting. If an opportunity to return was allotted to me for more pay I would return in a heartbeat.

Pros

Great workplace culture

Cons

Company is large, and it’s hard to stand out for promotions.

Supportive management

Low pay, but understandable for the work we were required to do. Very flexible. The occasional problematic caller, but supervisors were very supportive and understandinf

Pros

Flexible

Cons

System used was flawed

It’s okay

It is an okay environment to work at that’s about it nothing special but management is not the beat nor are the supervisors that are placed in their roles

Company has no integrity and upper management is incompetent

I was an advocate who wasn’t permitted to stand up for my client’s rights. I was just supposed to be a warm body. No support from upper management, including my immediate supervisor. No raises ever. Dead end job.

Pros

8-4 Monday-Friday, no weekends or holidays

Cons

No salary increase, only paid twice a month, no advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mental Health America. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
4.2Career Opportunities
3.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Studying at Mental Health America

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews

Mental Health America reviews by popular job title