Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
please see below
Billing Specialist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 16, 2018
a typical day at work was trying to stay away from other employees that only like drama. I learned that I would rather work with professional people than work with grade school children. Hardest part of the job was trying to get along with mean women.
Stressful workload, laid back managers
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 9, 2018
The workload given is at times too much, and while management is very friendly and fun...not much help is given to lighten your load. Lots of changes.
Coworkers are the only reason to show up
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
Employee turnover is very high due to poor management. Vacation days are often denied even though you are promised 3 weeks paid time off. Management will often ask you to work extra hours or come in early/stay late extra hours with very little time in advance. If you fail to comply with this request you are at risk of being fired. There is a great sense of camaraderie between counselors, which will quickly become the only thing to get you through the shift.
Cons
Poor management
Productive day
Food and Nutrition associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 26, 2018
I picked up participants, took them to the bank, grocery shopping, go to their appointments, help them grow as an individual, help them pay their bills, take them out to eat if necessary, etc.
Pros
Being with them all the time, you seen how much your hard work paid off.
Cons
Having to leave or work with another patient
Comfortable Setting
Family Peer Advocate/Educational Advocate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 3, 2018
MHA has a desirable work environment. You are not discriminated against based upon looks, race, tattoos, piercings, age, or anything else that you may worry about when applying to other positions. It's like a family. I am so happy I chose to work here.
Pros
Flexible schedule, understanding bosses, family-oriented environment
Cons
It's a non-profit, so pay could be better, but it's not terrible.
Great work the agency does for consumers
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haddon Heights, NJMay 23, 2018
The Mental Health Association in Southwestern NJ was a good organization to work for, but this organization needs new administration. I learned tons and I really enjoyed being a team player within the organization. There was no room for advancement.
Pros
great work we did for consumers
Cons
poor very poor administration
The most enjoyable part of this job was engagment with the homeless.
Program Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 12, 2018
The Denver House was a peer-group ran service, by The Mental Health Association of Tulsa.

Coordinating resources for the homeless, included preparing resumes, financial processes, SSI benefits, processing shelter applications, etc.
Pros
Intervention groups
Cons
Locating missing homeless clients, homeless clients that may have passed away or hospitalized.
Work Place Culture
Supervisor of Volunteer Services (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 5, 2018
Working at Mental Health Association was a pleasure in that the center where I worked offered individuals with various mental health problems the opportunity to take instruction in the visual and performing arts.
Pros
The atmosphere was cheerful and enjoyable.
Cons
At times I had to wait for assignments from the director.
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAApril 19, 2018
The environment at MHA is family like. Everyone, cares about each other and help each other out. The management values all their clients and employees.
Pros
Employees usually receive an annual bonus
Quite, Hardworking and Safe Environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 18, 2018
My day would start about 8 and end around 6. Sometimes I would work later. I had to learn very fast about codes, files, insurance companies and placing phone calls. The work place was very calm and peaceful.
Pros
A bunch of individual work, Work at your own pace however making sure a more then reasonable amount is accomplished daily, Also things that need to be done every day need to be done at the end of everyday.
Cons
Food was not included, beverages for employees and transportation to instructed areas other than the work place.
Stressful environment
Bilingual Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2018
The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the trauma crisis counselors hear on a day to day basis. Burnout is common. The best part of the job is the flexibility that the Contact Center offers as it is open 24/7 365 days per year.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Secondary Trauma and Burnout
Great Learning Experiences
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAApril 9, 2018
Working with the Mentally Challenge Homeless was a little sad also a reality check at the same time. People ages from 20-50 homeless some because of bad decisions they made some just had it bad all their life.
Pros
Humbling Experience
Cons
Seeing someone Homeless with a child\children
I enjoy working with the people I work with.
Front Desk Coordinator/Security (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 8, 2018
I enjoy working with the people I work with. There can be trying times, as there will be in any job that requires you to work with people. But the good outweighs the bad by far.
Change
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 24, 2018
My job does not feel like the best place for me at this time, the culture has changed and not for the better. I do wish to continue working with people just not there.
Pros
Being employed
Cons
The job itself
review
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXMarch 23, 2018
Steady work flow, great staff and co-workers, atmosphere was pleasant to work in. A lot of multi-tasking, co-workers were willing to help if needed. Friendly customers
stressful and under paid
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Bentleyville, PAMarch 16, 2018
This job is very stressful. A typical day at Mental Health is prompting residents and assisting them with their activites of daily living. Most residents are independent. We then assist residents with medications. We serve two meals and a snack on our day shift. Staff then takes residents on appointments, on outings such as General Education Diploma(GED), or local shopping. Groups are held and residents interact with each other. Staff assists residents with laundry. Staff does general cleaning around the personal care home. Staff makes appointments, orders medications, files paperwork, and completes medical phone calls for residents. Documentation and shift report is completed. The hardest part of the job is the medical stresses. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the residents, being able to help them with their daily needs and working on achieving their goals. Iv learned that mental illness is treatable and hard to deal with at times. You need a lot of compassion and patients.
I loved our clients and the staff.
Program Assistant/Financial Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMarch 15, 2018
As my boss used to say, I was the "backbone" of MHA. I managed both front and back office and had a good rapport with staff and our clients. Our clients were more comfortable talking to me about themselves than their therapists.

I find it so rewarding to be able to touch people's lives this way.
Pros
Everyday events were always different and interesting.
Cons
Poor benefits
MHA good work, not the best work environment
N/A (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2018
MHA-NYC does great mission-driven work, but the organizational culture needs a boost, as does the work space and opportunities for meaningful advancement and/or professional development.
Thinking of a career in Mental Health? This is a great place to start
Community Educator (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 4, 2018
The Mental Health Association provides a wide variety of services to individuals at different stages of mental health recovery and maintenance, and as such provides an excellent learning opportunity for people starting their career.
Underappreciated organization. Benefits were outstanding. But management were tough.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Met a lot of wonderful people and had the honor of working with participants who had hearts of gold. Management were tough to work for but the staff were awesome.