Mental Health Systems, Inc. Employee Reviews

Rather not
Office Manager, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2018
The company is a nice place to work and I have enjoyed my time there and have learned alot.

As an Office Manager I would like to have advanced growth and advancement with over 35 years of proven skill and qualifications in the areas of Finance, Human Resources, Training & Organizational Development, Community Project Coordination and Administration, excellent organizational skills and superior in customer service relations. Simply need more advancement.
Good Company
Peer Dual Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santee, CAJuly 19, 2018
Greart team players at ACTION East. The team really cares about the population they serve. Staff goes above and beyond to help clients. No matter what type of team.
Supportive work environment and opportunities for promotion
Employment Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2018
My experience was positive and provided me with leadership skills, trainings to increase my knowledge in the mental health field and provide me with the resources required to get job activities complete.
Pros
trainings, health benefits, community service actitivies, staff celebrations
Cons
No gym perks.
Grateful for the opportunity
Drug Court Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 2, 2018
Loved the opportunity to have learned and worked for Mental Health Systems. They are great employers. They take care of their employees with benefits, as well as training, but at the time low wages.
Pros
Great learning tools, that taught me boundaries
Cons
Low wage back then, needed to make more to pay my rent
Negative work environment at my particular program
Lead Clinician (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJune 30, 2018
Few people work hard and those that don’t take advantage of people who actually work. Unethical practice to knowingly let client care suffer for the sake of not hurting someone’s feelings And continuing to allow those who are not capable of fulfilling job requirements continue to make the same mistakes at the risk of harming clients.
Pros
Experience on your resume
Cons
Allowing unethical behavior to continue
Overall good company to work for.
Patient advocate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2018
Good company to work for. Stressful at times. It is county funded so there were lot of limitations. MHS doesn't do a good job hiring competent managers. There were problems with burnouts and high turnovers. I stayed because I liked serving mentally ill clients.
Friendly and fair
Residential Counsel Member (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 3, 2018
Love to volunteer their again if I get a chance . I have learn a lot from this company. Get to meet great people . coworkers and residents who lives there. I felt good helping others well they are in need.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Residnets
Great People and Mission Poor Upper Level Management
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 19, 2018
I love working here and the people I work with. I also am passionate about the work that is being done here to help the community but for the work that I do, I don't get paid what the industry average is at other nearby companies nor is the work I do respected. This position is extremely important to keeping the whole company running but often time the analysis and advice we provide is overlooked. The job requires the fixing of peoples mistakes from all departments and level of management and analysts are always expected to fix everything no matter what. People at various other positions are allowed to perform their jobs poorly with no accountability or repercussion meanwhile analysts are held to a much higher standard and mistakes are blown out of proportion. At the end of the day the work being done by the company is great but if you want to do good analysis and get paid well there are far better options elsewhere.
Pros
Relaxed Culture
Cons
No Room for Career Improvement
Work was in Children's mental health
Qualified Mental Health Provider (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 9, 2018
One of my favorite jobs! Great work with great management. Industry leading program. Great collaboration and team work. Was able to get all the resources to do the job well.
Keep looking elsewhere
Staff (Former Employee) –  CAMarch 19, 2018
Dont work here, look up public info on MHS to get more interesting info on company. They also have terrible training, structure, sub-par supervisors/managers lacking clinical skills, values, and just comment sense. You will be on your own at the end of the day due to disengaged/ incompetent management, you will be taking on a lot of responsibility as an employee in working with the population you will be exposed to here. If you have a good team with day to day co workers they will be the actual support. You have been informed.
Pros
I learned what not to do, due to constant errors company made
Cons
Managment/ Supervisors/ CEO is out of touch/ lack skills needed to lead
Review
Mental Health Counseling Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 5, 2018
A lot of support from management, and numerous trainings for career development. The clinical staff is excellent and the culture is fund and hard-working. Clients and families can be challenging to work with but it helped me further my skill-set and competencies.
Excellent place to work
Counselor (FRC) (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAMarch 2, 2018
MHS offers trainings, support, mentorship, and team meetings.
It is a solid, strong compant to work for. There are excellent benefits offered and room to advance and grow,
Stay away!!
Unknown (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2018
As a Mental Health agency one would think that management would be more honest, fair, compassionate and open minded. Instead they are extremely paranoid and are always expecting the worst. This company has a huge turnover. There is definitely a reason why. Good employees are not appreciated. Executive management will stab you in the back. If you're a "yes" person, then this is the place for you. If you are professional and intelligent, and like to contribute, stay away!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Too many to list
Excellent Company
Community Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2018
I worked at many divisions within MHS, INC. Compensation was wonderful! I would still be there if I had not been laid off. Motivating and potential for growth.
Fast paced, community mental health
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAJanuary 24, 2018
Upper management could stand to be improved upon quite a bit, but program managers are great. Pay is comparable to other community mental health clinics. As an intern, I earned valuable on the job experience with a difficult population that prepared me for my next position.
Pros
Free intern supervision
Cons
upper management is out of touch with what really goes on at the clinic level
A day at Bakersfield 's Beginnings
Residential Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 7, 2018
The program was a pilot program and lost funding. The program had to shut down and this fact was not communicated to any employee that was let go.

I saw nine clients per day. I facilitated group therapy and the program director would interrupt a group to hold a marathon group without an advanced warning.

The workplace culture was friendly but not all staff attended team meetings. Everyone was on a different page which made integration of plans challenging.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the times that clients found some relief and comfort in psychotherapy.
Pros
Program while it existed
Cons
sudden closure without communication
Temporary
Supervisor/Family Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2018
Management approach to clients and staff need to be documented and proper briefing done to all at the orientation into programs
Inter-personal respect very lacking between management and staff
Pros
Inter-personal respect very lacking between management and staff
Keep looking
Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 29, 2017
Look somewhere ese, low accountabilty for management out of touch with needs of employees. Result is high turn over and reactive cutlure vs proactive one.
Pros
Frontline workers are the backbone of this company
Cons
Too many/ management
Favorite Job Ever
TBS Coach (Former Employee) –  Colton, CADecember 25, 2017
The environment was great while I was there (maybe it was because I was there?)

Scheduling all your clients in and planning for traffic is the hardest part. Must be organized. Culture is great and supportive. Management is awesome. Coworkers keep you sane.
Pros
Pay, benefits, supportive environment, management, hours
Cons
Split shifts, irregular schedule, time constraints
With regret California State budget cuts ended my job
CalWORKS Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 15, 2017
The hardest part of my job was letting go of what I loved to do, working with clients. Dont get me wrong there was no transference going on but to suddenly not have a job and no transfer within the agency and a freeze on hiring was rough. However, I learned to do something else, Dr. Lawrence Wheatman.