Merakey Employee Reviews

Non effective leadership
Case Manager Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Trevose, PAJanuary 23, 2019
Initial training was good. Training after that was poor. Bullying was the norm. The higher ups are aware of the poor training, HR dept. was fully aware even the DON was aware. Many complaints were made about the management, and the final
Answer was no one wanted that management position, so it was easier to let her get away with her lies, instead of training her to be an effective leader. Worst place to work was the trevose site. From what I heard other parts of the company were so much better to work. Close to 20 nurses
Left before I started there. While I was there 5 left because of the management.
Pros
People that work there truly love the i individuals as I did
Cons
Trevose rn case management position stay clear of
Horrible place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJanuary 16, 2019
I started here for my first teaching position. It was horrible. The director was a big mouth with no respect for anyone. She treated everyone poorly when she was having a bad day. She would belittle staff and make everything seem as though it was their fault if they got hurt or bitten. The students there will hurt you and it will be your fault. There is no support. You get no breaks throughout the day. The BTs are shuffled around all of the time (unless you were a favorite of the director). Overall, horrible experience and I would NEVER return.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Incident Manager (Current Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAJanuary 14, 2019
Merakey is a fabulous to place to work. The individuals served at this company rely on dedicated staff to meet their daily needs. The company offers many benefits in lieu of higher salaries as most positions rely on state funding.
Pros
Paid time off and affordable insurance.
Cons
No advancement.
It’s a job.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Slippery Rock, PAJanuary 7, 2019
Use this job as a stepping stone and take every rule seriously. The littlest thing that someone else doesn’t follow could be the reason you get fired.
Pros
Overtime, clients
Cons
Everything else
Poor excuse for a “CARE” company
HMA (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAJanuary 6, 2019
With unlimited overtime available, you will make good paychecks working for this company. That is the only perk. Managers fight over staff, literally call and bribe staff to leave one house for the other. You are expected to do twice the work a CNA would do, but they’re about the only company that doesn’t give you your certification. The staff are the problem, not the residents. But the residents do have a lot of problems that Merakey turns a blind eye to. When residents have behavioral problems that put you in severe danger, you’re not warned. The training they give you does not prepare you for the kind of abuse you will get from residents. House managers trash-talk eachother to the point that they won’t speak to one another at all. Laziness has zero consequences, but being productive will land you with all the responsibility. They’re so desperate for staff that they’ll hire anyone with a pulse, and with that comes a lot of worthless employees. Over experience: absolute nightmare of a company. If you take their health insurance, you could make about $1,500/check, without it, you could make about $2,000/check. But that’s working 100+ hours in a pay period. Managers will call you at 3 am to ask you to come in or cover the morning shift. If you choose to apply here despite reading this, my only advice is to assume you’re being lied to 100% of the time and assume everyone talks to everyone about your every move.
Pros
Pay, lax dress code, vacation
Cons
Hostile environment, clients have zero consequences, you are a number
The best part of the job are your clients
Direct Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAJanuary 5, 2019
my typical day at Merakey is 12 hours long, my shifts are from 8a.m. to 8:30p.m. This is part of my contract. I work 12 hours a day for Saturday and Sunday and I'm off Monday through Friday. I get a 12 hour incentive as well, this means that I get paid for 40 hours when i only work 24. Because I'm not "full time" however, I have no sick time (even time I already earned), no vacations days, and no medical insurance.
On top of that, the workplace culture is horrible. Blatant racism runs rampant and if you report it you are retaliated against. My coworkers purposely instigate so they can try and get people to quit/transfer. Our manager finds it funny when the worst of my coworkers make everyone else's day difficult. Even abuse towards residents isn't taken seriously. Nothing is.
This is all just one building, there's 12 on campus. It's a toxic place to work, I would never recommend it to anyone. Which is a shame because the residents deserve better than that.
Pros
The residents are sweethearts, even the difficult ones are fun to be around.
Cons
the whole place is rotting for the inside out. People are jumping ship every week.
the feeling of helping others makes it worth all the hard work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Pottsville, PAJanuary 3, 2019
So many good staff have left due to the poor pay rate. And mandations. Staff are often over worked and underpaid, for exmple 3rd shift is minimum wage. 3rd shift is 11pm till 9am weekend hours are too long, 9am till 9pm Saturday and Sunday's which is ok I guess if you have no life outside of work.
Pros
helping individuals who cannot help themselves
Cons
por pay rate
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Slippery Rock, PAJanuary 2, 2019
Job is challenging , due to lack of staff , being in a college town, hard to find employees whom are willing and able to work with special needs individuals.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unable for advancement
Office life is like a family
Permanency Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PADecember 29, 2018
The Merakey office I work in feels like a family, although the work I do is very stressful and a lot of on the road time is spent. I also feel there is no advancement opportunities for me at this company and position.
Pros
nice work environment
Cons
not a lot of room for advancement and staff turn around
friendly enviroment
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2018
Merakey was nice to work at staff was friendly .Environment was clean.They provide all the training you will need and make sure you keep everything up to date.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
you would get stuck quiet frequenlty
Work with Aggressive Adolescents- Everything is your fault
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PADecember 21, 2018
If you are lucky, you are trained in proactive behavioral management and restraints before you begin. You will get hurt. You are not allowed to protect yourself, only other students. Management will blame it on you when you are stabbed, beaten, bit, urinated on, etc and make you take time out of the classroom to get the same training you already had as a "refresher."

Most times, if you fill out the paperwork correctly, worker's compensation will pay most medical bills. However, many coworkers found there are untold limits.

I was lucky and had management come and go through my time there, but every single one ran it differently. All but one managerial staff , blamed staff for injuries.

Some staff are extremely helpful, others create a hostile work environment and will report other staff to authorities. (During my time, all abuse reports were considered unfounded by police.)

Minimal resources and supports for things to actually help your students. Anything that you purchase for your classroom will be destroyed.

In summary, it was a great opportunity for a new teacher to see how poor management wreaks havoc on a school. However, not a place to have a career if you like your teaching certificate.

Maybe new management and a new company name will help with the environment.
Pros
Worker's Compensation
Cons
Unsafe Work Environment, No consistency, poor management
I use to love it even tho the pay isn't the greatest
BEHAVIOR TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 16, 2018
I loved this job since day one. Had some trouble over the summer even tho I am glad they did that program so I wasn't off for an entire month. There is no benefits like paid time off.
Pros
The client's for the most part
Cons
Co-worker
I enjoyed working there
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 13, 2018
The people were good to work with. There was limited opportunities for advancement without relocating. The pay was adequate, but could have been better.
Productive and Fulfilling Work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 12, 2018
great coworkers and management, very fulfilling work with clients and team members, clients appreciated the help and services, good opportunities for growth
Great consumers, horrible management.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Sunbury, PADecember 8, 2018
You start your employment with 2 weeks of training where they essentially use scare tactics on their staff to keep them in houses that supervisors have a hard time filling. Basically none of the training actually applies to the houses. The people in the office have basically no experience with the consumers that they expect you to go in and work with. As a part time employee (PRN) you're not allowed to pick the houses that you want to work in, as upper management considers that to be catering to staff, so you get bounced around to any house that needs staff no matter how far you'd have to travel to get to that house. Upper management doesn't work with staff at all as far as scheduling or training. You have to hand in your open shifts for the next month a month ahead of time and unless you specifically mark that you cannot work certain days they will mandate you to. The supervisors do their best to work with the staff but upper management makes it almost impossible to do so. The best part of this job is by far the consumers as most of them are incredibly sweet and fun to go in with. Most of your fellow staff are two faced and will go out of their way to get you in trouble or just make your workspace unbearable. Half of the staff hired on are lazy and do the bare minimum to keep their jobs and don't care about helping new employees get oriented with the company. As a PRN you can go one month working 50-60 hours a week or as many shifts as you can possibly handle to the next month having maybe three shifts the whole month. The third shifts are paid minimum wage because most of  more... them are sleep shifts.This would be a fantastic job if upper management actually cared about their employees.  less
Pros
Consumers are great, supervisors try to help
Cons
Horrible management, bad wages, unreliable income
Upper management is a joke
BCBA (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 6, 2018
This place is a joke. They do not care about their consumers one bit, all they care about is the dollars they are bringing in. Lack of management 100%
Pros
The clients
Cons
Everything aside from the clients, this place is the absolute worst place you could work, unless all you like is money... but still not worth it.
The company is large and at times difficult to navigate
Nurse (Current Employee) –  West PANovember 26, 2018
The clients are the most enjoyable part of the job. The company is growing and at times the structure is difficult to understand. Typical days are predictable and there are opportunities for growth. The culture is supportive and the employees are assets.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
required travel
Enjoyed working with consumers
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PANovember 25, 2018
The hardest part of working here is dealing with management, never feeling appreciated, poor training, lack of communication, they never do reviews, nor do they take complaints seriously unless it directly affects management.
Pros
working with consumers
Cons
management
Team Leader
Team Leader- ACT (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 25, 2018
This position is extremely challenging to balance as you supervise 15 professional staff. The ACT team and mission is one of a kind, serving the most vulnerable chronically mentally challenged. The work the ACT team provides to truly amazing, allowing individuals to living in the community.
Poor workplace environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 24, 2018
Work place not friendly. No office communication. Concerns are not addressed by supervisors. Poor communication with other pertinent team members. Office and workplace bulling.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Bulling and unfriendly staff