Mercer Transportation Employee Reviews

Good place for owner operator
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 7, 2019
I wouldn’t change anything about Mercer! I enjoyed my time there. Great friendly atmosphere. When at terminal the coordinator provide or takes you out to lunch and just all around friendly!
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Nome
As with all load board style oner operator companies it is what you make of it.
Owner Operator Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 28, 2018
I started with van freight then moved to flatbed. I always had the support I needed and the freedom I desired. The company discounts for fuel and tires is in the top 1% of the industry. I worked closely with a cordinator as well as agents across the country never had an issue with thinking I was being short changed. Furthermore the atmosphere with other Mercer drivers is very family like. I remember being at the terminal over Thanksgiving and the drivers all got together and put on a Thanksgiving dinner the likes of which you could only imagine. You work at the pace your comfortable with. You set the schedule for your loads.
Pros
Owner operator discounts, atmosphere, self paced work.never pushed to break HOS
Cons
It is what you make of it if you're lazy you will not last.
Great Benefits but office politics are an issue
Brokerage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 14, 2018
Initially it was a pretty great place to work. Overall they treat their employees well, there are perks like free company gear and free lunches. You receive considerable training. However, be careful who you cross. A lot of people are related at the company and many have managers and supervisors in their pocket. I was let go solely based on a certain individuals lies and distaste for me because they had family in upper management. If you choose to work there, just watch your back and keep to yourself as much as possible.
Pros
Perks like free lunches, decent pay, benefits
Cons
Shady management, small minded environment
Mercer transportation
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 12, 2018
Mercer was the perfect job for me because you never had to run illegally or do anything illegal and I loved that ! As far as I’m concerned they are the best company ever to lease your truck onto
Pros
Followed the law to the book
Cons
Just do your job
Fun but sometimes stressful job
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 21, 2018
It was a fulfilling job and sometimes was very stressful. I learned a lot about logistics and how the trucking field operates. If you don't know anything about trucking, Mercer is a great place to get started. The management was great and helpful at times when you needed them. The culture was great, it was like a family. The hardest part of the job was that sometimes your day doesn't stop from the time you get there till the time you leave. The enjoyable part of the job was sometimes it was the exact opposite, it all just depends on what problems arise.
Pros
Lots of lunches for free, great management, excellent HR, good benefits
Cons
Can't really think of any
Otr
Driver (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 13, 2018
They have plenty of work for all kinds of truck drivers, especially Van and Flat Bed drivers. It's a good company to work for if you are looking for OTR. As an owner operator you can work as much or as little as you like.
Pros
Lots of Work
Cons
Otr
Very busy office small space but had the phones ringing at all times. One of my most upbeat places to work.
Coordinator and Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 28, 2018
I was happy to come to work, they always had lots of coffee, plenty of work and one on one interaction every step of the way. The downside was I actually started to lead and some of the vets didn’t like it so I left because I didn’t want to get in the way of vets they are very mean when they think you could possibly , potentially do a great job .
Fun place to work. They feed you well
Truck Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY 40203July 15, 2018
Mercer is a good company to work for. The company is very Driver oriented. Employees at Mercer are fed very well. the workplace is somewhat relaxed as long as you get your work done.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Downtown location
Very Easy To Work With
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 27, 2018
From the employees in the office, the management in Louisville, and many of the fellow drivers, I really couldn't imagine working with better people. It's like one big family.
Pros
The company is always doing something for its drivers, Discounts with different companies they are affiliated with, or parties of some sort that they usually wind up throwing in Louisville, Kentucky, they always seem to have something going on for the drivers.
Cons
Just like with any company you run into some people with a lot of attitude sometimes.
Truck 17664
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 8, 2018
Amazing
Nothing bad to say at all
I would be still there but my truck messed up on me and I didn’t want to fix it!!!
Whenever I get another truck this is the company I’m definitely going back to
Pros
No company drivers
Great people! Family!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 4, 2018
Mercer Transportation is a great private company that invests back into their employees. The salary range throughout the company is the highest but the family atmosphere is what keeps people coming back.
Good company for owner ops
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 2, 2018
This is a company only for owner operators. That being said, most people who work here have a strong knowledge of the trucking industry and can be a vast well of knowledge for any newcomer needing help. There are some bad parts though. They work off of a load board, and it's first come first serve...to an extent. Say you emptied out in a city and are now looking for a load. But say 10 other drivers are also in that same city as you are, but they got there before you. Well, they now have the ability to chose a load before you do. This can really bite you in the rear if you don't pay attention to it. Some coordinators don't play this game, and it's obvious. You'll see some drivers getting heaps of miles to the point that they don't have to work an entire season. You know they aren't playing fair, but there's no one you can talk to about it. You just gotta learn how to play the game too.
Pros
independence, strong maintenance program, good benefits
Cons
too much load competition, coordinators playing favorites
Micromanagement like I've never experienced
RGN Freight Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 30, 2018
I literally felt like I was in prison. I had to ask to go to the bathroom or at least let someone know, or I got "scolded". I could not talk to co-workers making it impossible to feel comfortable around anyone. When you have a full-time job, your co-workers become your second family, whether you like it or not. Being harassed daily about talking to one another is ridiculous. If people are talking because they have nothing to do, what does it matter? If people are talking, ask yourself why? If people are talking too much there is a reason. Figure out the reason, find a solution. I.e. I talk a lot during the day because I am bored, not challenged, can't focus, anxious, etc. How should this be resolved? Finding a project for that person to do in order to give them something to focus on. Asking questions to identify problems outside the workplace and finding a way to help that person feel relaxed at work so the problems outside do not affect performance inside the work place. Relax, it is okay if people have casual conversation, they see each other 40 hours a week right?

Part of being a manager means, to make an executive decision based off the information or situation at hand. You should not enforce "policy" on someone who never breaks said policy, when and if the situation is appropriate. I.e. I feel very sick and do not think being at work is a good idea. I am not being productive in anyway and I do not want to spread the germs. Now, if said person is out of PTO, do you tell them they are not allowed to leave? Is that really what's important in this situation? Mind you, this
  more... person has never asked to leave work for any reason and has never been late/missed a day. This is a situation in which POLICY is irrelevant.

These are examples of reasons why I hated working here. It was not all bad, however, I would never suggest working in operations at this company to anyone.
Pros
free lunch sometimes. Healthcare.
Not a place you want to work
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 19, 2018
Not what you are told. It’s all about them you are unappreciated. Little to no support. They claim family environment but untrue. They have favorite drivers and those drivers get first choice of freight. Had loads pulled off me and given to others.
Pros
I still trying to find them
Cons
No support no unity
Going downhill fast
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 5, 2018
Used to be a family, becoming more and more corporate. Promises not kept, cutthroat dealings, under federal investigation for military contracts achieved through bribery or kickbacks. Upper management claimed no knowledge but extremely hard to believe that.
Pretty decent company for the most part
Contract driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 4, 2018
Pretty decent company for the most part. Lot of long hours traveling. Steady work. Easy to work with load board. Fastpay. Company is always there for you. Hardly ever a downtime.
Pros
Easy to read load board
Cons
Load board is minimal
was a owner operator
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 15, 2018
was ok first time owner operator if I could would go back . loved being own boss go where I wanted to come home on weekends but the cost of repairs on truck was to much
Cons
cost
Decent
Contract / class A CDL driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 27, 2017
Free laundry wash, showers TV all in drivers Lounge at corporate. Louisville, Kentucky repair Crews always handy at corporate. Plenty of parking. Shoreline power.
Pros
Plenty of runs on the load board
Cons
No Health Care
Summer Job
Lead/Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 4, 2017
While the work is not physically taxing it is mentally exhausting. The training was laughable but the working culture was very helpful. Supervisors were willing to work with you.
Wonderful people, great dispatcher 30 years experience
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  UsaNovember 12, 2017
The minute i arrived in orientation i felt at home. The environment was that of perfection. On the road it never stopped. My dispatcher is nothing short of a trained professional. The system is simply easy to use and efficient unlike landstar. I am still wowed and love my job. If you enjoy otr truck driving, get in your truck and join a group of pros.
Pros
Great family like company
Cons
Not any to speak of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercer Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.