Mercer Transportation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun place to work. They feed you well
Truck Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY 40203July 15, 2018
Mercer is a good company to work for. The company is very Driver oriented. Employees at Mercer are fed very well. the workplace is somewhat relaxed as long as you get your work done.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Downtown location
Very Easy To Work With
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 27, 2018
From the employees in the office, the management in Louisville, and many of the fellow drivers, I really couldn't imagine working with better people. It's like one big family.
Pros
The company is always doing something for its drivers, Discounts with different companies they are affiliated with, or parties of some sort that they usually wind up throwing in Louisville, Kentucky, they always seem to have something going on for the drivers.
Cons
Just like with any company you run into some people with a lot of attitude sometimes.
Truck 17664
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 8, 2018
Amazing
Nothing bad to say at all
I would be still there but my truck messed up on me and I didn’t want to fix it!!!
Whenever I get another truck this is the company I’m definitely going back to
Pros
No company drivers
Great people! Family!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 4, 2018
Mercer Transportation is a great private company that invests back into their employees. The salary range throughout the company is the highest but the family atmosphere is what keeps people coming back.
Good company for owner ops
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 2, 2018
This is a company only for owner operators. That being said, most people who work here have a strong knowledge of the trucking industry and can be a vast well of knowledge for any newcomer needing help. There are some bad parts though. They work off of a load board, and it's first come first serve...to an extent. Say you emptied out in a city and are now looking for a load. But say 10 other drivers are also in that same city as you are, but they got there before you. Well, they now have the ability to chose a load before you do. This can really bite you in the rear if you don't pay attention to it. Some coordinators don't play this game, and it's obvious. You'll see some drivers getting heaps of miles to the point that they don't have to work an entire season. You know they aren't playing fair, but there's no one you can talk to about it. You just gotta learn how to play the game too.
Pros
independence, strong maintenance program, good benefits
Cons
too much load competition, coordinators playing favorites
Micromanagement like I've never experienced
RGN Freight Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 30, 2018
I literally felt like I was in prison. I had to ask to go to the bathroom or at least let someone know, or I got "scolded". I could not talk to co-workers making it impossible to feel comfortable around anyone. When you have a full-time job, your co-workers become your second family, whether you like it or not. Being harassed daily about talking to one another is ridiculous. If people are talking because they have nothing to do, what does it matter? If people are talking, ask yourself why? If people are talking too much there is a reason. Figure out the reason, find a solution. I.e. I talk a lot during the day because I am bored, not challenged, can't focus, anxious, etc. How should this be resolved? Finding a project for that person to do in order to give them something to focus on. Asking questions to identify problems outside the workplace and finding a way to help that person feel relaxed at work so the problems outside do not affect performance inside the work place. Relax, it is okay if people have casual conversation, they see each other 40 hours a week right?

Part of being a manager means, to make an executive decision based off the information or situation at hand. You should not enforce "policy" on someone who never breaks said policy, when and if the situation is appropriate. I.e. I feel very sick and do not think being at work is a good idea. I am not being productive in anyway and I do not want to spread the germs. Now, if said person is out of PTO, do you tell them they are not allowed to leave? Is that really what's important in this situation? Mind you, this
  more... person has never asked to leave work for any reason and has never been late/missed a day. This is a situation in which POLICY is irrelevant.

These are examples of reasons why I hated working here. It was not all bad, however, I would never suggest working in operations at this company to anyone.
Pros
free lunch sometimes. Healthcare.
Not a place you want to work
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 19, 2018
Not what you are told. It’s all about them you are unappreciated. Little to no support. They claim family environment but untrue. They have favorite drivers and those drivers get first choice of freight. Had loads pulled off me and given to others.
Pros
I still trying to find them
Cons
No support no unity
Going downhill fast
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 5, 2018
Used to be a family, becoming more and more corporate. Promises not kept, cutthroat dealings, under federal investigation for military contracts achieved through bribery or kickbacks. Upper management claimed no knowledge but extremely hard to believe that.
Pretty decent company for the most part
Contract driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 4, 2018
Pretty decent company for the most part. Lot of long hours traveling. Steady work. Easy to work with load board. Fastpay. Company is always there for you. Hardly ever a downtime.
Pros
Easy to read load board
Cons
Load board is minimal
was a owner operator
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 15, 2018
was ok first time owner operator if I could would go back . loved being own boss go where I wanted to come home on weekends but the cost of repairs on truck was to much
Cons
cost
Decent
Contract / class A CDL driver (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 27, 2017
Free laundry wash, showers TV all in drivers Lounge at corporate. Louisville, Kentucky repair Crews always handy at corporate. Plenty of parking. Shoreline power.
Pros
Plenty of runs on the load board
Cons
No Health Care
Summer Job
Lead/Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 4, 2017
While the work is not physically taxing it is mentally exhausting. The training was laughable but the working culture was very helpful. Supervisors were willing to work with you.
Wonderful people, great dispatcher 30 years experience
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  UsaNovember 12, 2017
The minute i arrived in orientation i felt at home. The environment was that of perfection. On the road it never stopped. My dispatcher is nothing short of a trained professional. The system is simply easy to use and efficient unlike landstar. I am still wowed and love my job. If you enjoy otr truck driving, get in your truck and join a group of pros.
Pros
Great family like company
Cons
Not any to speak of
competitve
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
Great company great benefits. No room for advancement within agencies. Most people in the agencies have been there 10+years and are content. Can be very political.
Pros
great healthcare
Cons
no dental no vision
New Management
Dispatcher/office Manager (Former Employee) –  Miramar Beach, FLOctober 3, 2017
Used to be a great company. Now they do not motivate their agents to get more freight. They still have their agents in territories. Most agents do not hustle freight, so that in turn screws the drivers. Drivers have to get on a truck board when they get empty and could have to wait up to 5 days for a load to get them. The trucks used to get treated like family, now they are just numbers.
Starter company
Van Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 6, 2017
This is a great place for someone to begin the transportation industry. For an advanced dispatcher you may find that the compensation may not be equal to the tasks.
Pros
Casual dress
Cons
No comment
Ok if equipment paid for
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 4, 2017
The revenue not there for truck company for thoses semi retired equipment paid off and when book freight have wait older guys get there freight first . If got truck and house payments can't make there freight rates too cheap.
Maintenace
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 1, 2017
Mercer Transportation is about transportation load dispersement. Being in the maintenance department, i had very little to do with the main focus of the company.
Great company
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 21, 2017
Mercer is a great company to work for. I feel like they really care about their drivers and other employees. They do their best to get you home anytime you need to be there.
Pros
Lunches provided while you are at the terminal, open door policy in all departments
excellent company
Truck Board Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 11, 2017
i really liked working here, the job was very challenging, earned all kinds of awards and it was just a good environment, yet challenging in every respect. would go back if i had the chance.