Mercer Employee Reviews

No Longer a Competitor
Client Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 16, 2018
Mercer is no longer a desirable company for Benefits Administration. More clients are leaving and high attrition. Most work is not distributed fairly.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
No growth in career or salary. No work life balance.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILJuly 16, 2018
Everything went well. The workplace culture is laid back but they have a good coffee selection. Also management was great to work with. Try it out if you want to work there.
Productive and funplace to work
Participant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
Typical day at work was answering phones and assisting customers.

Learned to multi-task and to be opened to take on additional tasks,etc.

Management was great.

The most enjoyable part of the job was keeping happy customers,
Pros
Great pay, great training, great benefits, great people to work with.
Cons
No cons
Worth the sacrifice
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2018
I worked here as a Research Analyst in the late 80's & early 90's. The demands of the job are high, but Management gives you every opportunity to learn and thrive - you get out what you put in.
Don't work there
Benefits Councilor (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJuly 11, 2018
Bad management. Your a piece of meat. False promises, no structure for advancement. Promises are made and not kept, they just need bodies to get through open enrollment
Pros
Cons
Plenty
Fun place to work
Benefit Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAJuly 6, 2018
The environment here is very laid back and family oriented. They focus community events, and have social groups people can join. It is a good company to grow with.
Pros
starting pay
Great place to learn
Call Center Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJuly 6, 2018
Fast paced open enrollment contact center. Open 7am - 10pm monday thru friday with overtime avail on some 4th qtr weekends. Company provides work from home opportunities and promotes from within.
Could be Better
Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 2, 2018
A series of unfortunate events caused my office to slowly go downhill. Multiple people leaving for other companies left many teams in a tough bind because new hires were slow and current teams needed to add the extra workload to their current plates.
No communication between teams and team leads
Insurance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJune 26, 2018
This company would be an awesome place to work if they would learn to appreciate their employees and to communicate. There doesn't seem to be enough training available for the positions the team leads want you to be in.
very replaceable
Participant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJune 25, 2018
typical day of work consisted of being yelled at on the phone. occasionally you'll get assigned little projects or tasks to work on. Management is very disconnected from the workers and they make you feel very replaceable.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management
Wonderful place to work
American Airlines- HR Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work. They listen to your needs to assist you in finding the right place that fits your needs. I never had an issue and the lines of communication were always open. I received feedback on my performance and what I could improve on, as well as things that the employer appreciated or praised me on. I really appreciated that, so that I could make any needed changes or improvements and also I always felt encouraged.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Fun/smart people but poor work/life balance
Associate Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 21, 2018
While I enjoyed the people on the team I worked on and consider several of them my best friends to this day, I would have to work 100+ hour weeks during busy season due to management's refusal to hire anyone despite turnover. It was an unsustainable way to live.
Senior Client Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJune 20, 2018
Most of my career was spent at Mercer...great place to work. The staff is very nice, willing to help, and knowledgeable. The people make the company.
mercer
Senior Client Account Consultant (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJune 20, 2018
limited advancement opportunities. low annual salary increases. many months of long hours and little backshop support. able to set own schedule with regard to client visits.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low salary increases
Lack of diversity and inclusion
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2018
Lack of diversity, job advancement, my manager was bitter about growth and opportunities. Spoke before researching options/topics. And took away flexible work life balance.
Pros
Health benefits, free food lunch happy hours
Cons
Growth, diversity and inclusion, poor management of admin staff, no person of color in higher roles..ie. associates and principles
Lots of turn over and little room for high growth
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJune 5, 2018
I did not like working here, I was micro managed, had to clock out for bathroom breaks and was not supported positively by management. There is better work out there for the little amount I was paid and you will be supported positively elsewhere.
Mercer has severe intra-company culture issues.
SENIOR CONSULTANT, INVESTMENT MANAGER RESEARCH (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2018
Mercer intends well, and tries hard to make improvements in areas long-recognized as somewhat problematic, primarily due to size of the firm, and distribution of locations worldwide.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Prepared Me for Future Growth
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 27, 2018
Mercer has been an excellent company to work for. I've enjoyed the company sponsored events, as well as internal departmental events. The hardest part of the job was learning to trust myself and my instincts, as Mercer provided opportunity to learn and expand my career path.
Pros
Benefits Package; PTO; Company Sponsored Events; Great Co-Workers; Tenured Co-Workers
Cons
Wage/Increase Potential; Lacking On-Site Food Options; Hitting a Performance Ceiling
Great location, great co-workers, good benefits, good company match for 401k
Senior Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 21, 2018
Pros:
Great location, great co-workers, good benefits, good company match for 401k, great career path.

Cons:Compensation/salary

A typical day for me consisted of running reports, case management, verifying payroll deductions and payroll files and whatever my team asked of me.
Pros
Cons
Cons:Compensation/salary
High expectations High stress
Principal Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2018
You are on your own to stimulate new sales opportunities and bring in business. You are responsible for getting the work done. The lack of work/life balance caused many to quit, leaving the rest to take on even more. Long hours and not as much collaboration as was promoted. High stress environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercer. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight