Mercer Employee Reviews

Poor leadership and company direction
Actuarial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 13, 2018
Poor leadership and company direction and very un-transparent merit program, lack of necessary staffing and over worked employees. Good to get experience, but not worth spending a career
slow
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 11, 2018
this was a temp agency i havent been there for years so i am basing everything off over ten years ago. Agencies are up and down you never really know.
Pros
it was a check
Cons
temp
Responsibilities are a constant struggle against obsolete technology and arcane regulations. Nothing is easy.
Pension Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vernon HillsNovember 9, 2018
The technology is antiquated. A ridiculous percentage of the work is performed manually and checked manually..The defined benefit administration business is in a downward spiral. Clients are leaving for other more technologically advanced and more economical competitors. Because of the lack of work, employees are constantly being fired to rationalize the staff level with the amount of work to do.
Pros
Benefits are reasonably generous.
Cons
Managers are under constant pressure to squeeze more work out of staff, without resorting to overtime.
Bought out Hammond in 2010 and still using same spreadsheets
Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 2, 2018
Outdated offices with full height cubicles occupied by people reminiscing of the old days before Mercer acquired them. Presentation books are prepared ad-hoc from scratch using embedded spreadsheets created many years ago in many cases. Without knowing the methodology it requires a CFA to reverse-engineer every macro to certify but this is impossible with constant deadlines. The result is non-GIPS performance, outdated fee information that was never calculated, and purposefully skewed data concerning in-house proprietary funds. The single compliance officer means well but can do little and the supervisors or all non-CFA administrators and therefore care little about professionalism.
The office is like walking into a boutique consultancy in 1996 without any technological or business improvements since.
Pros
People had a self-depricating humor about the conditions
Cons
Ineffective and misleading way of doing business
Competent but Slow
IT (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAOctober 26, 2018
There were several rounds of massive layoffs so employees were uncertain about their future within the company. This was around the time of the US recession so people were content to just have a job. Promotions weren't even a consideration.
Pros
Nice carpet
Cons
No room for growth at the time.
PSR position was great, Liked it for the most part
PSR - Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2018
Nothing really bad to say. Train is a bit intense, but you can expect that when you dealing with health benefits. I ended up working for KP, I enjoyed it . Just read what they have for you to read
Pros
Pay, Hours, Office Enviroment
Cons
Lunch, Breaks, Mis-communication
Experience
Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAOctober 16, 2018
Working at mercer it seems really laid back but at the same time you may feel like a robot. There are a lot of nice people here that will help you get the job done the right way and you will gain experience and learn a lot of new things that can benefit you in life
Generally a good palce to work
Client Manager and Principal (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 14, 2018
Work was fair Pay was fair

Not a lot to complain about that is about all I can say about they also had good people ther and top class office space and Great research capabilities.

Hours could be long thogh.

Of course I haven't worked there for years? Not sure why you guys can't make the app see that I haven't worked there in years and alow me to skip this
Pros
Good team
Cons
Sometimes the work got to be a little much
Challenging but often fun
Licensed Sr. Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2018
Comfortable place to work that is very busy during open enrollment. At time it can be challenging but management always comes up with fun activities for the call center representatives. Employees help each other when someone runs into a challenging or difficult situation. I have learned a lot about medical benefits since working there and now understand about deductibles and out of pocket maximums. Sometimes management can be difficult to deal with not always. The work culture is very diverse and employees get along well. The hardest part of the job is staying in adherence, making sure that you sign into the phone on time when beginning your shift or after taking a break/lunch. I enjoy the people that I work with and most of all I enjoy helping the various employees enroll in their benefits or assisting in correcting a problem that has come up.
Pros
fun work environment, fun activities, snacks
Cons
short lunch break
San Francisco salaries (for lower-level workers) not in line with comparable firms
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2018
High turnover leads to stressful office culture. Colleagues are great, management tries to improve the employee value proposition, but the bottom line is that San Francisco is an expensive place to live and other employers in the area will pay better for the same work.
Mercer review
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 8, 2018
Mixed review here. One division was very cooperative and produced great results. The other group was knowledge management, could not produce requirements only complaints
Superficial Political "Diversity" Fads, Not Merit, Drive This Company
Senior Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2018
You may be lucky to have a good immediate supervisor as I had, but the C-suite and corporate hierarchy is full of sycophantic wet-finger-in-the-wind fad-lovers. To these people, "diversity" is not diversity of talent and idea, but only diversity in superficial characteristics that tell nothing about performance. The blaring contradiction between the false claims to reward merit and the narrow-minded push to promote by skin color, ethnic group, and gender (following the latest fads that ignore jo performance and reward employees according to politically defined worthiness) are offensive to anyone who can think logically. This strategy will eventually backfire as it should, and Mercer's clients will abandon it in droves if they are smart. Unfortunately, specialists in human resources are usually not the sharpest tools in the shed, so they may not even know what is happening if they follow Mercer's politically driven advice, much less understand why. More and more, people will realize that the policies that promote based on superficial characteristics are bound to fail. The ethical failure will eventually be obvious.
Pros
Flexible work options
Cons
Endless political propaganda of the most crude, superficial kind
I enjoyed working for Mercer and would recommend this company to` others for employment.
Sr. Health and Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2018
Mercer has a diverse culture and promotes diversity. This company values it's culture and the employees. I was promote quickly after beginning my employment with Mercer.
Pros
Workplace culture
Cons
Distance from home and commute time.
Hard work/good experience; poor culture
Change Management & Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2018
Good place to start career in terms of gaining valuable experience. However, very heads-down culture and not much workplace engagement (other than meetings, etc.).
Great people, aggressive yet enjoyable people
Director, Client Services (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Great company. I started in a junior position, but over 14 years was groomed, trained, and promoted multiple times to senior management. Opportunities for those that want to exceed.
Good Company
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MASeptember 7, 2018
Extended hours and weekends opportunity for OT during Open Enrollment. Call Center open until 10pm Monday thru Friday. Casual attire. Cafe closes at 2pm.
great company
Digital Knowledge Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2018
great workplace. Excellent opportunities for growth and a good place to learn. Compensation is great and management responsive. Was a happy place to work.
good company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 30, 2018
great organization. very smart people. many intellectual resources. fast paced. corporate red tape. friendly people. collaborative. high energy. fun place to work.
Flexible and good work life balance
Principal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2018
Flexible work from home arrangements and good work life balance. Technology and compensation lag but get to work with smart people from various backgrounds.
I would not recommend working for Mercer
Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAAugust 28, 2018
The sector/Call center was not a very friendly place to work. I often felt like cattle on a floor filled with other staff members working the call center. Management was very selective with there staff and only prompted those who were popular socially with management, not considering their performance. Also the pay was not adequate, and when I needed to change my hours after their busy time during open enrollment, they told me I could not change my hours. I was very unhappy there and for the sake of my sanity I had to leave. I hope you have a better experience.
Pros
bennefits
Cons
management, favoritism, unfriendly atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercer. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

73%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

76%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss