Mercer Employee Reviews

Found 676 reviews matching the search See all 1,093 reviews
Insurance Sale Representative II (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAMarch 18, 2019
Management did not provide the necessary support for growth and development that one would expect to receive in a company of this size.
Account management frequently overlapped with other departments and made it hard to establish the account relationship as there were too many hands in the pot.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor/lack of training curriculum
Mixed Reviews
Principal (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 11, 2019
The pay and benefits is great. However they eliminated my position within 7 months of starting. A position was created for me with no real understanding of what I was supposed to be doing. The job description given to me us partially completed. They manager that was brought in to oversee the team didn't have experience in this industry. I found my team didn't have a real understanding of the competitors and the market. Onboarding was awful - learn as you go mentality. It takes about 1-1.5 years to figure out the organization and by then I was let go.
Pros
Salary, benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Onboarding, every Oct/November positions are eliminated/reorganized
Good people
Principal (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMarch 11, 2019
Mercer has wonderful people who work hard at what they do to deliver value to clients.

It allows flexible and remote-working.

It's compensation philosophy is not competitive.
Good Employer
Senior Pension Analyst | Client Services (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMarch 10, 2019
Good employer but slightly on the disorganized side. Company has not been able to achieve profitability and therefore compensation is not the best. Point being it is critical that you negotiate a solid starting salary if you consider accepting an offer to work there. Overall a good place to start work in the field of benefits administration outsourcing though. Lot of opportunities to learn but very little formal training.
Large corporation that puts the shareholders first
Consultant (Former Employee) –  West coastMarch 6, 2019
Smart coworkers and impressive list of clients.
Low morale due to cost-cutting and reorganizations and it being your typical unwieldy, red-tape strewn large for-profit company.
Great atmosphere where there is constantly room to learn and grow.
Benefits Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILFebruary 28, 2019
There was a lot of pride in working for a company that hold such strong ties to values that put people first. They really always harped and practiced the moral of the company's greatest asset being their people. That was a great vision/culture to work in.
A nice place to Workl
Participant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILFebruary 27, 2019
A nice place to work if you don't mind traveling from the city. Many opportunities for advancement. diverse culture and meet new people. Would work here again if I moved back!
Pros
Paid Bonus
Cons
Crazy hours
Difficult to advance since career paths aren’t documented
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 26, 2019
Biggest challenge is that employees aren’t replaced when they retire. Their work is simply redistributed among the remaining staff. And there’s no documentation describing steps to promotion, so I’ve been stuck for twelve years in the same level despite taking on the work of senior staff.
Pros
Learning opportunities, flexibility to work from home, Pto
Cons
Lack of advancement
Experience Depends on Team and Location
Senior Associate, Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2019
Mercer cannot provide a consistent experience for their employees, the way it is currently structured. Period. It really does depend on which office location, which department, the resources decked towards that department, and your manager's ability to effectively lead.
Pros
Benefits and work/life balance were amazing!
Cons
No structure.
Wonderful people, mundane work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJFebruary 25, 2019
People I worked with were simply wonderful. However, the work gets very monotonous year after year. Senior leadership does little to bring about innovation
Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2019
Mercer offered excellent benefits, flexibility in work life balance, ability to work from home & online learning opportunities. Workplace culture was collaborative.
Good opportunity
Piedmont Heart Physician Assistant Residency (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2019
Good opportunity but the group was distracted and did not work to create as great of an experience as it could be. It was unplanned, disjointed. It required me doing a lot of the work and pestering people to give me a clue of what was going on.
Great company to gain experience
Principal Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2019
Great growth and learning opportunities. Ability to travel around the world and work with prestigious companies across the globe. Difficult to navigate structure across lines of businesses.
A Great Place to Grow
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2019
Mercer is a great place to grow your career with lots of opportunities to move within the MMC operating companies.

A generous leave and compensation package, as well as tuition assistance.
Pros
A nice environment that discourages bullying and the like.
Cons
Frequent rebranding and shifts to overall strategyhort breaks, healthcare, etc.
Remote Work Opportunities
Senior Graphics Designer - Strategic Bid Center (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 31, 2019
The best part about working at Mercer is their remote work environment. It provided us with flexibility that I needed to maintain a decent work/life balance.
Mercer is a great stepping stone if you are just out of college.
Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAJanuary 31, 2019
I enjoy my colleagues, everyone here is friendly and helpful, Mercer is always trying to involve everyone in all types of activities they hold a Mercer fest every year with games, activities, food and drink to celebrate. I enjoy my work here at Mercer and dealing with the customers on the phone and being able to help them with their benefits, management is also great when they are available to us and of course the hardest part of this job is that we are tied to the phones and our computers. I have learned a great deal from working here especially when it comes to phone etiquette and listening skills to assist in helping the customer and getting a quicker resolution. Over all Mercer is a great stepping stone.
Pros
They have a great cafe and there is always activities going on and fund raisers
Cons
lunch is too short, breaks are different every day.
Fun
Benefit Counselor (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 28, 2019
Not a good company to work due, due to they hired over 100 contract employees, suppose to last for 4 months, without any notice, were terminated immediately
Pros
work from home/pay
Cons
no advancement
Good company
Consultant (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 27, 2019
Mercer as a whole is a very good company with lots of room for advancement. The company has offices around the United States and the rest of the world, allowing for a lot of mobility. Depending on the office you work at, the culture and management is different.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Tight deadlines
Decent Place to Work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 26, 2019
The department was new and never seemed to find a solid landing. There were a lot of personnel changes as most used it as leverage into another company. The constant changes globally, locally, administrative and operationally left you feeling like they didn't know what they were doing. Most people kept a box under their desk in anticipation of a sudden downsizing. Those left behind...were always overwhelmed.

The product/ service was great but it just seemed like management could never seem to agree or figure out how to best sell it.
Pros
Business Casual Setting
Cons
Job Security
Unique Culture
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 23, 2019
This company had a unique culture that was competitive and at times stressful. They did host weekly office lunches, which was a nice incentive, and offered good benefits for employees.
Pros
Free weekly lunch, work/life balance
Cons
Stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercer. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight