Mercer
59Below average

Mercer Employee Reviews

Contractor
My position is a contract position through a recruiter so there are no benefits but the pay is good. I don't think the internal team was ready for the project so it was a very difficult time. There were not enough resources that knew what they were doing.
Could be a great workplace
Working at Mercer was a horrible experience. Not all the companies fault though. Being connected to a phone 100% of the day was not for me. Being tracked on how long it takes you to use the bathroom down to the second wasn’t my cup of tea either. Mercer cares about the bottom line, which is good, but they use tactics to ensure most don’t make their bonuses so they save them money. Employee morale is low as well.
Large Corporate Company Does NOT Care About Individuals
This company is so large that you do not get individual attention. They are all about saving money everywhere, and it seems like they do not want their employees to grow. No where to move up in the company. New ideas are shot down. I am grossly underpaid, yet they tell me that I need to work harder to achieve a "promotion." Medical benefits and time off are the only positive for working for this company. I do not feel appreciated or useful.
Great Company
Excellent training to launch your career in health insurance. You will be certified by many insurance companies including CMS. My experience was a positive one.
Little Respect
Create performance reports and various portfolio analysis reports for clients and management. Very stressful with constant deadlines. Top management considers the department a necessary evil and a drain on the budget which resulted in decision to start offshoring client reporting to India. Department manager makes himself very inaccessible and limits his communication, by design to keep department ill-informed. Some of the supervisors are very passive and offer little assistance in training, problems, conflicts and the daily operations of the department. Little to no interaction between employees in the department. No teamwork. You are on your own. Any interaction turns into a session complaining about workload, pay, supervisors and manager.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Not A great place
This is not a place for work life balance, you won’t get the recognition you deserve. I do not recommend this company! People aren’t valued here, it’s like you’re just a number not a person.
This was a great place to work, but unfortunately the location was closed. I wish the pay was better. It seemed that they just didn't want to place any more business in my work location and consolidated the remaining work elsewhere.
Worst company culture I have ever experienced.
I don't think you could intentionally create a worse culture. There is little camaraderie or teamwork and a lot of bullying. I wouldn't recommend working there.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mercer?
Flexible with remote working
Nice people, flexible working environment, very busy/fast paced during the Fall Open Enrollment period especially. Lots of turnover of talent during my time with the company.
my coworkers help me ,we were a team
A typical day at work is making sure I was at the phone lines on time to assist clients at all time. Making sure I answer all the clients questions and walk them through using the mercer portal.
Stressfull
Very stressful workday. Workload was unmanageable at times. Brought work home, like others in department to try to keep up. Department head would come up with busy work for the department, like we had time for this unnecessary work.
Department head micromanages who at times used intimidation and revenge. He stated he had open door policy but was remote most of the time. When he was in office his door was closed with do not disturb notice. If you were lucky to meet with him it turned into a one sided conversation. If you tried to talk he would continue talking but in a louder voice.

Department was divided into 3 teams with a supervisor for each team. One supervisor was great and was well respected and liked by all in the department the other 2 supervisors not so much. I was unlucky to be in a team supervised by one of the latter.

Training originally was handled by the good supervisor and was excellent. For some reason this was taken away from him and the training suffered immensely. The other 2 supervisors had neither the skills nor willingness so training became minimal at best. Many if not most of us would continue to go to the good supervisor if we had any problem, questions, training and such than to our direct supervisor.

Year end performance evaluations and compensation increases was a circus. My supervisor gave me my performance rating only to have it reduced a month later. Explanation was too many received exceeds expectations and top management wanted this number reduced.
Employees are just a statistic
No balance between life and work. Highly pressured work. Little to no training for new employees. Management decided to offshore most of reporting to India and directs lower level employees to conceal this from clients and public. After year end performance evaluations are given top management lowers peoples ratings which affects salary increases and bonuses. One year top management directed the average rating per department and left supervisors to meet this directive. Workload is not balance within department. Some may work in excess of 50 hours a week while other stream movies, spend day on social media and even take naps. Very political atmosphere. Middle management will throw employees under the bus.
Pros
Flex time and sometimes abiltiy to work remote
Cons
Workload, management, pay, atmosphere, and on and on
The cafeteria was the best part of the workplace.
I was really excited to work for the company for about a month or so. I didn't like how the managers didn't reach out to us as they said they would every week to go over our numbers for us to learn from our mistakes if any and how to do things differently if needed. I enjoyed the fact that they provided lunch everyday and it was very quiet on the call floors.
Na
Excellent place , very strong work/ balance . I enjoyed all the hours I spent with peers and supervisors alike . The tasks were challenging yet fair .
The job is remote at your home.
The job wants people to give a notice three days before you take a sick day. Also the job is stressful, and they don't pay a fair salary. Also the training is awful.
Pros
It's remote.
Cons
The job.is very stressful.
They hire friends of friends
I was passed over three times for internal positions because they hired external friends of friends. After 10 years of trying to advance & being held back I went elsewhere. The same is being done to two other former coworkers.
Job is good which they had permanent position
Is very hard to stay permanently in this company they hire by contract only and keep you for open enrollment in ver time is great which they had opening directly in the company this is my second year working for them might be the last one I need to focus somewhere else Where they give opportunity to grow within the company.
Review
Great work life balance. No manager support for advancement or direction on a day to day basis. Underpaid and overworked. Workplace culture was great.
Flexible and challenging
Large company with significant resources. Located on Long Island - diverse client base with various requirements. Good technology and other resources.
Look elsewhere
This company does not value its employees. It is more concerned with the bottom line. People are just numbers, easily disposable. Overworked and underpaid is the common theme. Every year there was another excuse why no or minimal raise - even though "you did a great job." Would never recommend working here.
Good but not fairly compensated
Great job culture. Good benefits compared to other companies. Compensatiom is below market. Raises are hardly given even if work performence exceeds expectations. Internal movement to other departments is a political campaign. Moving internall results in little pay increase. High turn over in call centers due to pressure,volume and the inability to get answers from management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercer. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight