Merchants Fleet

Working at Merchants Fleet: 38 Reviews

United States38 reviews

familyemployeebenefitcompanymanagementplacepeoplegreat

Could be a great fit

The company has a clear goal of where it wants to be in the next 2-5 years. Very nice HQ and friendly staff. You must come from fleet as the new hire onboarding is almost zero.

For all that is holy just run away from this place

This place was the best place I’ve ever worked at but it didn’t last long . Work life balance is almost perfect at this place. But you soon learn who your enemies are

Pros

Free lunch. Work/life balance is awesome. Remote work available . Pay is excellent

Cons

Too much to list, You will get so stressed from the relentless micro managing that you will contemplate suicide

Merchants Fleet insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor training and no updates on how you are doing

I worked at Merchant's for less than a year and had a shift where I would work for hours as the only one in my department. I was trained for about 2 weeks despite not having any office experience and then left on my own. I only had one update that entire time on how I was doing. They laid people off after about 3 months of me being there so there was only 2 in our busy department and expected us to keep up with the same amount of call volume. The other person was constantly absent so the bulk of the work was passed on to me. When I had a health concern I was promptly let go since I was still in my year "trial period." Essentially 6 months of struggling to keep my department afloat with little training smd perfect attendance only to be told I wasn't needed due to my accommodation request. You're a robot to them and you better not malfunction.

Cons

No training, no support, understaffed

Disorganized mess of a company

Pushing for crazy growth while their internal systems are a giant mess, there is no source of truth for anything data-wise and multiple conflicting systems/values for everything. Classic "we're a family" company attitude which just means employees are exploited as much as possible. Don't bother.

Pros

New building is nice

Cons

Gas station food sold in the cafe

Best workplace ever!

Wonderful atmosphere to work in. Cheerful, upbeat, hilariously fun. Great inclusion from management with meetings and recognition. Best place I have ever worked!!!

Pros

"Fun" days and events, educational training, paid volunteer time.

Tech driven

Great place to work if you know and understand the industry. Not great and understanding how to get outside of their standard operating processes. This is a fast growing company that is driven to stand out from competitors but does suffer when it comes to quick process adjustment. Some programs require more work than necessary but they are very technology driven.

Pros

Amazing Benefits

Cons

Long term experience is necessary

Fun and Engaging but overworked

The owners are wonderful and very involved. We have a gym and game room which is really nice. Lots of positives. Only negative is we are growing so rapidly that everyone feels like they are working for 2 people.

18+ years

The Work Environment is Innovative and meant to keep employees driven to move on, generate excitement...and it works! Many changes in 18 + years, but latest are the best!

Relaxed

Great company with opportunity to grow. Not afraid to move into new areas . Work from home . Flexible company great benefits and they listen an value their employees.

This is a good old Boys club, poor management, no opportunity for advancement. My friend got cancer and then got let go. Cheap selfish company. They .

This is a good old Boys club, poor management, no opportunity for advancement. My friend got cancer and then got let go. Cheap selfish company. They Play favoritism, and do nothing when someone gets harassed by another employee. Don’t work there or buy a car from them!!!

Stressful environment

Good company, family owned business. Management numbers driven as are most businesses. Not all management receptive new ideas. Stressful atmosphere. When goals are reached they are acknowledged, but when they are not a lot of tight jaws in management. Definitely a sink or swim place of employment.

Pros

Company holiday party, Xmas bonuses, occasional free lunches

Cons

Company politics, short sighted managers, micro management

Great company, lots of opportunity

This is a growing company with good management and lots of interesting work. They are profitable and growing and have a keen eye on innovation. They care about their employees. The people are great. I love working here.

Pros

Benefits, compensation, opportunity, people

Cons

Fast growing and exciting place to work!

I've been working at Merchants for the last months and love it so far! The company has come under new leadership in the last year and their strategy for growth makes me excited about being part of it. The company culture is great, everyone acts like a family and goes out of their way for one another. One of the best places I've worked for sure. Others have mentioned the cramped office space due to fast growth - this is very true, but it is being addressed with an office move this summer.

Pros

Benefits and salary are competitive, great people

A Great Place To Work, Learn, and Grow.

Merchants Fleet embraces innovative thinking and positive attitude. If you want to succeed you will, the company offers many benefits should you chose to unlock them. Mentor programs, team building events, health benefit packages, volunteering hours, tuition reimbursement, training courses, are just a few. Merchants has undergone various changes in the past year that will only benefit the company and the employee’s, those who choose to embrace the change and culture will have flourishing career and development opportunities at their disposal. Merchants has been working on work-life balance and working smarter not harder. They are actively working with management and employees to encourage balance and working to find solutions to workflow and processing to find a better balance for everyone at the organization. They encourage participation and feedback at any level.

Pros

Great Executive Leadership team in place, with diverse backgrounds and a wealth of knowledge to share!

Cons

The current building can silos departments and make collaboration difficult. However, 2019 promises a new building with amazing amenities!

Good ownership - mid managers not great

Company is changing under new CEO, and very focused on growth - but growth means change, and not everyone in the organization is prepared for that. Middle management gets obsessed with details that aren't important, very little direction and training,

Pros

Employee friendly owners with "everyone wins" attitude

Cons

struggling with growth, but will eventually catch up to themselves.

Very good job but moved closed to family in N.C..

Enjoyed working at Merchants Auto Group the short time i had been working there. My co-workers were very friendly & the best to get along with. My management team were very good and not hard pressing to find out what happen to each customer. 80% of the customers were credit challenged at this type of dealership. Very different type of dealership programed to attract the credit challenged customer. Unfortunately i have family members in N.C. had been very sick. And i decided to move closer to family.

Pros

Very understanding & nice people to work for.

Cons

Sometimes needs many long hours

Family Owned Business With a Protective Culture

Want to be clear that is review is specifically for anyone thinking of working at Merchant's Fleet Rosemont, Illinois office. Their culture in the main Hookset, New Hampshire office is one of a "family owned atmosphere" and "best place to work", however, it definitely ends there. That same best place to work is because it's run with protectionism as it's main focus. Irregardless of the incompetence of their current Hookset management, all issues are panned off issues with the Rosemont office, and if you're a consultant, you're a target. If you point out any failings of theirs this will ultimately come back onto you. It's a company that taught's that they'd like to transform to an agile process of delivery, however, their inept management and management failures are kept very much within their Hookset office. They fact that they sell sub-prime auto loans to low-income and impoverished individuals is an issue, as well. Their current partnerships with development teams are one of a parasitic nature, and if you choose to put yourself in any way associated to that relationship, beware.

Pros

Work life balance as there is no accountability

Cons

inept management, lack of accountability, no transparency, no continuity, no process definition

Amazing Company

I have worked for companies large and small and nothing compares to the culture here. Managers care about their employees and help to keep them motivated and growing personally and professionally. Everyone is approachable from top to bottom! We have an energetic and charismatic CEO who has great goals and you can't help but want to follow his lead. There is ample opportunity for promotion, especially with growth and they are strategic in making sure that they put top talent in key roles.

Pros

Free breakfast, coffee, hot chocolate. Water coolers everywhere.

Cons

Growing out of building

Great Family Owned Company - New CEO

Merchants is a great family owned company. Recently some of the benefits were reduced, and we have had some change in leadership with the CEO, head of HR and head of IT leaving in a 6 month period.

Pros

Great benefits, good working relationships

Cons

recent changes in management

Lots of growth opportunity

Family owned with corporate mentality. Being contract, had the opportunity to work in several departments, Learned different responsibilities and skills.

Pros

Growth opportunity & Tuition reimbursement, big discounts

Cons

Did not have budget to hire permanant

Chaotic workplace

Total Chaos and lack of direction from the management and constantly changing priorities. Total lack of respect towards employees Too much internal politics

Common questions about Merchants Fleet

Answered by current and former employees at Merchants Fleet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merchants Fleet. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits