Merchants Foodservice

Merchants Foodservice Employee Reviews in Newberry, SC

Newberry, SC19 reviews

driverroutecustomtruckbenefitdeliveryhourtrain

Ok place to work

Ok company to work for, work is hard but you if you get the route done fast you can have decent work life balance. Management can’t be trusted and pay is not worth the work

Best food service company I have worked for

This is by far the best company I have worked for. They do everything possible to make sure their drivers are taken care of. If there is a breakdown someone always answers their phone and gets you the help needed. There isn't anyone constantly on your back trying to find something you are doing wrong. Pay and benefits are close to or better than other food service companies. Management actually cares about you, from your direct manager all the way up to the ceo. They welcome feedback and fix any issues immediately ( handheld, loading, routing, etc ). I don't want to leave but there are no locations or drop yards in the areas I plan on moving to.

Pros

If you do your job and do it safely there are no issues.

Cons

Night shift for the most part. I like it but it wouldn't be for everyone.

Poor leadership.

Managers didn't care what workers did. Drivers ran the bosses not the other way around. We lost alot of good people because of management and the president.

Proceed with caution

Competitive comp, poor culture, excessive politics. Difficult environment no matter how much you have to bring to the table. Competence and backbone are frowned upon heavily. Best of luck.

Wish they would have promised less and given more.

Recruited me for a specific job and not once did I get a chance to perform that job. Stuck on another job or else! Hours fluctuated, unable to plan a life around job. Not a pleasant place to work unless on 1st shift.

Lack of communication

Worst place to work if you like to be in the loop on day to day changes. No communication and the router thinks she does no wrong and holds grudges!!!

Order selector

I am a order selector at merchant food service I have worked over here for a year and a half it’s a production job I am currently making $30 and hour reason of leaving it because I want something more relaxed and something I’ll like to do better

Pros

Free break

Cons

Hard work

You don't want to work there.

This company don't do anything they say they're going to do the whole organization is a bunch of liars do you really want me to proceed with this. If you have a better option as a job with a job please take you will be so frustrated with this job you'll probably leave Trucking all together.

Physically demanding. Communication.

This is a fast growing company and the staffing for this area is in great need of new employees. The posted positions are not being filled as quickly as needed which has put great strain on current employees. On arrival I often have to wait for availability for a truck and often wait for a load to be completed. As a professional driver, I am faced with failed communication often because I am notified via e-mail or text when currently behind the wheel. I feel the means of communication for a driver should be a phone call, as all drivers have hand free devices available.

Pros

decent pay

Cons

equipment and communication from mangament

Family owned, good people, but poorly managed.

Good intentions, but missing the mark on lot. Moving forward. No room for advancement and no room for wage increases. Employee evaluation system is inconsistent.

Worse environment I've ever been in

Worse work environment I have ever been in. Management is rude, constantly cursing people out and yelling. Have seen management throw things across the room because they were upset. Incidents that are reported to corporate are not addressed. In fact, they are not kept confidential and investigated, instead there is retribution if you complain. Fellow co-workers were great, but not worth the stress and oppressive atmosphere.

Pros

Co-workers were friendly

Cons

Everything having to do with the managers.

Great Job

Great Job to work for it was a good experience for me Great hrs home time good Pay was ok would go back to this company The advaement in this company is hard

Pros

Great Pay

Cons

Route Changes

Think BeforeYou Apply

When I started working for Merchants, it was a great company. The route was great, I had wonderful customers, and the management was very good. The current transportation manager is difficult to deal with...very volatile and has anger management issues. If you cross him, he'll make your life very difficult. Management does not listen to drivers or is open to suggestions.

Pros

Insurance, Bonuses, Layover Per Diem

Cons

Management, Lack of knowledge of the routes

productive workplace

Picked materials from machines to be rewind and the take the materials to the necessary stations as needed.

Company culture and values have been lost.

Privately held company that does not care about its employees.

Good company with great potential for growth

Good company trying to get a footprint in a tough market in South Carolina.

Pros

good people and work environment.

Cons

location, and lack of market direction, goals, and plan.

good job if its 5 mins from your house

Management is the worse I've ever seen...have no clue what's going on...the production system is made for you to work hard and get paid less....they charge you if the truck driver damages or gives product to wrong customer...and 4 or more errors bring you to 8 dollars an hour....freezer is the only dept that is good for making money....they won't ever keep good selectors unless they change

Pros

off on weekends

Cons

management with no common sense...production is a ripoff

If you are a make then it's perfect. Female will never advance

Pros

weekly pay

Cons

women don't advance

Up and coming operation that could succeed

This company had a hard time employing experienced and legal candidates to perform hourly task. It is in the position to be very successful if the right management decisions are made and if there is success at filling key positions.My typical day involved managing a night warehouse crew to select and load the product. The biggest challenges we faced were insuring the correct product and quantity of the product was shipped. The employees were new and still learning and we had not quite overcame that learning curve. The potential for a successful future was imminient however we had to overcome the discompfort that we received from customers. The most enjoyable part was the successes whe achieved

Pros

training of employees, overcoming challenges

Cons

inadequate pool of applicants, not enough management involvement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merchants Foodservice. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits