Merchants Security Services Employee Reviews

Didn't like it
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 9, 2018
Bad scheduling , no organization, no consideration to religious views and activity , hours aren't practical , either too many hours or not enough hours
Pros
health care
Cons
working conditions
Good small security company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 20, 2018
Merchants Security was a good company to work for. They have various job opportunities for anyone who may be looking. The management team is very small , but usually pretty reliable when called upon. Sometimes they will expect overtime but usually it is a request. The pay rate is low starting off but it is above minimum wage.
Pros
Easy going and friendly
Cons
Minimal Hourly Pay
sitting around
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 26, 2018
its a boring job but has its exciting nights. most night you will just sit in a chair and push a few buttons and watch the cameras. you should carry something to read or entertain yourself as the nights can be long and boring.the management will help you if you need it.
Good place to work! Going in the right direction
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Dayton OhioJune 20, 2018
The merchants office staff is very pleasant and easy to work with, They actually care about you and your life besides work. People that are unhappy have done it to themselves and don't put in a good effort. They expect a lot for little effort or responsibilities. You get what you put in people. If you excel at your contract at Merchants you get rewarded one way or the other.
Pros
Plenty of hours available, managment is good
Cons
pay could always be better but plenty of OT available
Not a horrible place to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 29, 2018
The people are nice but the schedule can be hectic. Most of the contracts are easy. The pay isnt great but if you work enough overtime the checks can be nice
Work
Armed Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 27, 2018
I worked hard to move up in the company and when I had to watch how many hours a could work to keep my income at a certain level because it would take from my daughters I noticed other people getting promoted over me and I don't see my career going any further in the company anymore.
Great, fun team to work with!
Site Supervisor and Armed Guard (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 11, 2018
I've been working for Merchants Security a little over a year now. I started out as an unarmed guard on a very nice contract, plus I worked extra hours when coverage was needed- which made for some really nice paychecks. Anytime I had a problem at work and needed an answer, the office staff and the field supervisors were there for me and they were always ready to listen and to help me find a solution.
After I had worked for the company for six months, they sent me to OPOTA armed security training and paid for the course when I passed. They also had me on the clock and paid me for every hour of the class. Eight months after I started working for the company, I was promoted to a site supervisor position for a large, important contract. They have been very supportive of my decisions and work as a site supervisor, and I really enjoy the work I do for them.
If you have a phone, reliable transportation (your own vehicle), can pass a drug screen and a background check, they will welcome you to the company with open arms.
If you have a great work ethic, are on time for work, wear the proper uniform they provide for you and it is neat and clean, and you have drive and initiative, it is very possible to advance quickly with this company.
The office and field staff are terrific and lots of fun to work with. They are like family. They have a lot of good contracts and the job duties and pay vary by post. You will receive on the job training for your post, and there are many opportunities to expand your skills (and your paycheck) by working at other sites.
Pros
Office staff is great and you can have overtime if you want it.
Cons
Security industry pay is not the greatest, but I love what I do!
the same
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 25, 2018
Just the same story, what you would expect of a company like this. No problems with the company or the employees. The site is more a determination of the contract with Merchants.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
Im happy at what i do for Merchants
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 24, 2018
My review of merchants company the people are
Poprofessional and set their employees at that same standards.very safe place to work.working sites are within your zipcode area 4to 10 miles.
Pros
You bring your own lunch
Cons
Parking Pace.
Fun workplace. Ok co-workers
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 19, 2018
Really enjoyed being a security guard. And working with the public. My co-workers were ok. Some were stuck in their ways. Or took the positions way too serious
Security Job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 3, 2018
As expected for a Security Job. Not challenging, little training, the company hires just about anyone even those with criminal records. It is not an exclusive or well thought of organization.
Slow and Chill
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 2, 2017
Great place for lazy people or if you want easy money.
Bring something to read or study.
Very slow nights.
Pretty flexible with requesting time off.
Pros
Chill, no micro managers, lots of hours
Cons
little pay, womens shelter on Apply street
Helpful and friendly corporate office employees
Captain of Security (Former Employee) –  Washington Court House, OHOctober 9, 2017
Enjoyed working for Merchants Security. Friendly Corporate environment. Always willing to help with any circumstance or situation that would arise with employees.
Pros
paid days off
Cons
Contract ended
Laid back atmosphere
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 4, 2017
Although it has been some time since I have been employed by Merchants security, it helped shape the work ethic that I have today. I was able to obtain a Bachelors degree while working with this company because of their willingness to work with my hectic school schedule.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Management
Cons
Short breaks, Compensation, and Healthcare
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  ohioSeptember 13, 2017
No good benefits and very poor salary
Never any raises
No employee recognition
No paid vacation
No advancement opportunity
Just a paycheck
It is okay
Pros
Cons
all of the above
Good job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 2, 2017
The job is good to learn the world of security, I am just looking to grow with a company . The work life balance is fair, I get to work different assignments and meet many different people
It is a rewarding and challenging work environment
Shuttle Driver/ cashier (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 12, 2017
Have always liked being cross-trained. No day is like the same, you may start out in one position at the start of your shift but at the end of the shift, you are doing another. You work with some great individuals as well as the management. It takes customer service to another level then being in retail. Supervisors are great.
Security work is a terrible career.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington Court House, OHAugust 10, 2017
If you like not having a life and working till your eyes fall out then security is perfect, especially for this company. they don't pay enough to keep a fly family alive but defiantly expect you to stay for numerous years. This is a last resort job, one you get to stay out of fast food and factory.
Pros
its a paycheck
Cons
you don't get a life, don't make enough to survive, long distance drive if something happens with your check, management is no help.
Enjoyable work experience
Security officer (Current Employee) –  Metairie LouisianaJuly 22, 2017
It's enjoyable but it is hard workdon't plan on working here if you're not ready to walk for the entire time or stand or write. But in general it's a fun work experience
Fun place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fayette County, OHJune 29, 2017
Good atmosphere good people to work with. At every turn you get to meet people from all walks of life who just may need for you to say hello to them to brighten up their day. Some may need words of comfort and others may meed guidance no matter what your presence is needed and appreciated by those we come in contact with.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Need more training at facilities employed at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merchants Security Services. Our community is ready to answer.