Merck Employee Reviews

Found 2,018 reviews matching the search See all 3,220 reviews
Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  milsboro, deDecember 12, 2018
When you work with people you enjoy to be around you don't even feel like you're working. Working in a team based environment gives me fuel to strive to do my best. I thrive off of challenge and enjoy the journey of problem solving. When a customer has an issue and I am able to help them through it, explain it, teach them, while laughing and enjoying our experience, I feel I have accomplished what I needed to do and left the customer happy. I'm going to be redundant when I say, the most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to help a customer with their issue, solve it, and leave them happy with my service. Without out customers, happy customers, we wouldn't have a business.
Pros
great team members
Cons
only contracted
Supportive Management
Senior Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2018
Workload assignment inconsistent and dependent on therapeutic assignments, however there was consistent ability to secure assistance. The managers were supportive and met on a routine basis with regional team and individual for assessments. Travel was challenging and did decrease following NYC 9-11. The learning aspect was most appreciated
Pros
Great Camaraderie and opportunity for learning
Cons
Travel prior to 9/11
Typical Work Day
Lead Associate, Global Oncology (Current Employee) –  Kenilworth, NJNovember 30, 2018
Non-stop from start to finish and then some! Start by checking email, preparing daily schedule and meeting folder for SVP including background materials. Respond to emails, requests for meetings, reschedule to accommodate time sensitive meetings. Catch SVP for urgent questions and priorities. Look forward in the week to ensure all logistics are in place for offsite meetings and that background is in place for upcoming meetings. Ensure preparatory meetings are in place for upcoming reviews.
Pros
day passes quickly
Cons
work through with no breaks; not enough hours to accomplish tasks
Tip your Servers!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJNovember 12, 2018
Do you think is possible – that will all the money this company spends on meetings outside the corporate office’s it owns that just once…maybe just once you could leave a tip for the people who service you?? The people who get up so early in the morning to make sure your room is set right, breakfast is out, put lunch out - services your dinners on the company.... and we put up with you not knowing how to use a projector and all your other needs – maybe you could toss us a few bucks once and awhile and say thank you! You right it off anyway…..us servers in NJ and PA would appreciate it! and cash would be nice. Thank you!
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Many
Downsizing
Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaNovember 8, 2018
Downsizing always lay offs, cutting back from the bottom not looking at cutting back from the top down. Company Top heavy, to many managers doing the same thing reporting to the same people. Keep the sales representatives that drive business and cut the middle management (not needed) Representative can successfully run their territories and report to Higher level management. Stop cutting bottom and look UP.

Very poor raises for sales representatives.
Pros
Loved my team and co-workers many great people!
Cons
lay offs, cuts, budget cuts more work less pay
Could be great, but isnt
Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkhorn, NENovember 5, 2018
I came in with no expectations, what I found was a very interesting job and great people. My problem is the person training me and leading the team was a mental, something not right in the head with her. I tried to talk to the manager, the problem is they don't cross train so they're kind of stuck. HR didn't help either even though they acknowledged they've had problems with her. Anyway they didn't want to place me anywhere else, so I left. From other reviews I guess some people bully people there and the company is okay with it. So just be careful if you accept a job there
Pros
Interesting and good pay
Cons
Some people, lack of cross training
SeeComment
Senior Quality Assurance Specialist Full Time (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC 27712November 2, 2018
No comment except I left because I had an unsupportive manager who had been in one place for 20 years and had never worked anywhere else. Women in management are difficult, but one industry issue I have with pharmaceuticals in general is we take individuals who have PhD's in some science and expect them to be good at managing people , timelines and business when they are hopelessly untrained for all of those. Yet the pharma industry will give a 28 year old with a PhD a director position who has actually worked in industry a year.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Female management
Poor Work Life Balance
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rahway, NJOctober 21, 2018
I made a comfortable living working for Merck, especially for a recent college graduate, however, the demand on my time, body and health did not outweigh the paycheck. It was not uncommon to work 48-72 hours a week with an average work day of 12 hours. Rotating between day an night shifts became an added requirement due to department wide downsizing. If there was opportunity for career advancement and training a career path would have been possible, unfortunately, the greatest benefit of working for Merck was the pay.
Welcoming Work Environment
Global Submissions Publisher Associate (Current Employee) –  Upper Gwynedd, PAOctober 17, 2018
My team was extremely open and supportive in helping me learn as much as possible, but at the same time ensured I worked hard by setting realistic goals and expectations. I also felt welcomed and loved here with every person I talked to which is a huge testament to the company culture! They are huge on encouraging different opinions and understanding how to make the workplace better. Overall I highly recommend this company!
Pros
Flexible working arangements, open culture, embraces changes
Cons
Aging workforce
Good Reputation - Management dependent culture
Associate Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2018
Great disparity in job expectations depending on director. This led to 80-90 hr work weeks to meet expectations that far exceeded requirements from other directors. Good Company, Good Products. Inconsistent Enforcement/Alignment on job duties and favorites definitely played.
Pros
Bonus, Benefits
Cons
Limited Promotional Opportunities, Frequent Restructuring/Change
Bad culture
Automation Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkhorn, NEDecember 4, 2018
Please do not go for this. They will make sure you quite your actual job and get you in by offering you a higher pay. But trust me , after you are in for no reason other than we don't like your personality. After two months the HR will call you during your day off telling you that you are terminated. They don't have HR at the Elkhorn Nebraska plant . They have only one traveling HR and you will never have a chance to see her after your first day at work. Uneducated operation manager with an expired boiler license . Low moral. Bad manager with unethical behavior. They don't have any knowledge in Automation technology and Plc and they got frustrated because I am showing them the automation. If you don't believe me go for it because you will find out the hard way. They will not going to keep you.
Strategic Sourcing Analyst
STRATEGIC SOURCING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJ and Roseland,NJOctober 1, 2018
Assisted OTC Strategic Sourcing Analysts with bidding on product displays. Entered Purchase Orders for Over the COunter displays.
A typical day consisted of having meetings with competing vendors and comparing OTC product display stands. I learned how to compare displays and make wise decisions based on costs and presentation.Management was very supportive and played a part in challenging me. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to see how the dispalys are chosen. There was no hardest part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits, great support and great team.
Cons
N/a
Productive and competitive workplace
Associate Pharmaceutical Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 12, 2018
Merck's work culture is most similar to "Market culture." I found the workplace could be competitive amongst one another, but really enjoyed the support within my team--I can't say the same for others. I do wish that the culture emphasized more on Human Resource development; however, this issue is driven by the lack of support from upper management.
A fun and interesting work environment
Migration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PANovember 9, 2018
The day usually consists of a morning meeting, data processing, IT meeting; and lastly an issue meeting. From this I identify organization, delegation, and team support as a tandem activity for success. Management oversight level--Initiation HI-MED, Implementation MED, Closure MED-HI.

Documentation is by far the most enjoyable aspect of being a business analyst. The final place where all the data has been poured through processes to support ongoing strategy to project closure.

The most challenging part of the job is researching each business case and getting on the site owner's calendar to begin the process.

The most enjoyable was seeing it all come together successfully--within the specified time and budget.

Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Free working lunches and outings
Waste of time
Clinical Packaging Technician (Former Employee) –  West Point PASeptember 30, 2018
These people are a bunch of clowns. I was working with On Board Services for a contract position in Clinical Packaging at Merck. After being investigated for a position I had interviewed with and accepted, the position was abruptly cancelled. I had to send them 3 years tax information and took 2 drug tests and I have nothing questionable in my back round.
Pros
Cons
Incompetent management
Department drives personal experience
Upstream Process Development Associate Scientist (Current Employee) –  West Point, PASeptember 13, 2018
I was part of the vaccine process development division at Merck. For the first few months there was training, which meant most days there was not really much to do since doing any lab work required training. There is definitely favortism between who gets what responsibilities.The team did not have any highly skill scientist like a principal scientist working in lab which would have been nice. The project itself was not what I was expecting and was below my expectations in terms of what I was expected/hoping to learn.
Merck is a great company to work for depending on the department
Associate Specialist - Quality, Bioassay (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 6, 2018
Merck is a great company to work for, my department withstanding. The labs are like the red headed step child, but the rest of the company is great for collaboration and promotion. Job security seems to be pretty good, especially in the labs. So there is a trade off. I do not recommend working in the labs, but if you can work in production your ability to advance are probably greater.
Excellent company and culture.
Senior Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 5, 2018
Merck stands by its culture of research and development. Do what is right for the patient, impeccable customer service, integrity, and profits thus follow. Loved working for Merck. Quality people underscore a quality company.
Pros
Quality Products and high quality people.
Cons
sales and marketing disconnect on occasion.
Utilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  arecibo, p.r.October 9, 2018
Excellent place to work, I passed 18years in merck and I grout from Utilities supervisor until the associated director. Myexperience in Merck was one of continues grout and improvements. I participate in a lot of projects developed in the utilities area.
Great company for which to work
Procurement Analyst - P2P (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 31, 2018
I didn't feel like I was working. The culture and enviroment was flexible, the people professional and hard working. I learned many new things and was able to mentor new hires. The people were dynamic and motivated to be the best they could be and had fun doing it. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The only thing that I didn't like was that they outsourced the group I was a part of.
Pros
flexible and dynamic
Cons
outsourcing of areas that seem to be non-value add

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merck. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K
41.1K

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight