Merck Employee Reviews

Found 2,102 reviews matching the search See all 3,357 reviews
A good environment for learning.
Information Architect (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJMarch 20, 2019
Provides an atmosphere for learning. Good managers and their guidelines help one to improve quickly and with the help of new tools It would be easy to develop oneself.
Pleasure to work at Merck
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Rahway, NJMarch 20, 2019
Merck is a great place to work. The company provides a lot of opportunities for you to learn new things. The department is well organized and efficient. The colleagues are nice and talented.
Great company with great benefits.
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lansdale, PAMarch 20, 2019
Merck has an absolutely great work-environment, benefits and culture. Pay scale is a little below average but not too far. The daily routine is very slow so it gives the employee a chance to stabilize and train.
Pros
Good environment, on-site cafeteria and shops, vast opportunities
Cons
1 hour from the city, big company equals frequent layoffs
The mailroom
Mailroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Rahway, NJMarch 19, 2019
Everyone had there own buildings to receive and pick up mail. Everyday conversations with my coworkers. Putiing a smile or making them feel comfortable. I really enjoyed working for them.
Pros
A career.
Cons
Alot of mail
Company laid off workers when it acquired Schering Plough
Respiratory Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitehouse Station, NJMarch 18, 2019
Company laid off workers when it acquired Schering Plough. Many legacy sales representatives were downsized and given a severance. Did not have an opportunity to re-interview.
Pros
Large pharma company
Cons
Large pharma company
Contractor
Administrative Assistant (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 18, 2019
I went to work at Merck because I had been in Pharmaceuticals previously. But my hopes and hard work did not get me a permanent position. I was very disappointed, plus I did not have any benefits.
Good employees
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Tulia, TXMarch 18, 2019
Good management that works well with everyone and is dedicated to helping people grow and become better at what they do. Reward people for their hard work.
Horrible and mean
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAMarch 17, 2019
It was a miserable experience and I am glad to be free. It only looks good from the rear view window. It does not teach. The culture is mean. There is no help or support. The hardest part is feeling all alone.
Pros
Very competitive
Cons
Very competitive
Hard to go temp to perm
VBF Operator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 15, 2019
Quiet layoffs of temps while temps trained their replacements on the way out. Great place to work but never know when a layoffs is coming. Hard to go from temp to perm. People are nice and safety is a must as far as holding a rail while walking on stairs
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Only for perm events
Enjoyed my time and learned a lot
Ruminant Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 13, 2019
I was an intern so my time was short with Merck Animal Health.

I learned a lot during my time and was able to work on and improve many skills. I met a lot of good people.

They say that they want to hire interns back to full-time positions once they graduate, but it has been difficult to even get an interview with the company after I have applied to many different open sales positions there. I know that my previous manger at Merck is giving good recommendations for me as well.
Merck is a good place to work with lots of opprotunity for advancement for the right person.
Specialist Engineer in Technical Services (Current Employee) –  West Point, PAMarch 12, 2019
Merck has been good to me for many years, I have learned a lot and have had varied opportunities. I find that at this point of my career I need to move beyond Merck and utilize the things that I have learned to provide value and leadership in other venues.
Solid Company
Senior Professional Representative (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 12, 2019
Worked in sales for 9 years promoting drugs either 1st or 2nd within each class represented. Training was extensive and excellent and training by team members was helpful. The manager makes or breaks the job when selling for this company. My first manager was very good and allowed each rep latitude to sell according to their style and quickly rewarded reps that increased sales. The second manager expected reps to sell like he did in the past, often interrupting during conversations with Drs and requiring reps to use outdated and in my opinion, ineffective sales "techniques". Great company to work for if you have a good manager, if you get a bad one take your skills to another company, you're usually getting a promotion since Merck reps are highly regarded by industry competitors.
Pros
Great products, pay and benefits
Cons
Management expectations, job security
Excellent work environment
Administrative Assistant (consultant) (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 12, 2019
Merck is a fast paced environment. Many on line curses to keep up with the current trends in technology.Employees are very knowledgeable. Company is so large you may have to go thru many layers of employees to get an answer to get your questions answered.
Productive place to work
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, GLOBAL AGREEMENTS (Former Employee) –  Kenilworth, NJMarch 12, 2019
Great experience for the first 6 years prior to the shift in culture. Once the merger between Schering & Merck took place, there were quite a few managers who lacked the most basic skills but were promoted due to the number of years with the company
Pros
Great team approach
Cons
Too much middle management
Merck
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Whitehouse Station, NJMarch 12, 2019
Great company with great leadership. Loved working there and learned a lot during my time at Merck. I would recommend anyone who wants to work there. Hope this helps.
Just be careful
Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkhorn, NEMarch 11, 2019
I went to work at Merck with no expectation. I found a bunch of people that were nice and very helpful. But my very first day they told me they had bets on how long I could stick it out. Turns out I had to work with a nut case, I tried and I tried, but it was like walking on eggs shells everyday...basically a Sybil. I tried to get into another department and I tried to get HR to help even thought they acknowledged a history of her they paid me my last 2 weeks and I left. Be careful.
Pros
Great Company, Benefits, Pay
Cons
Not any support from HR
merck
Biotechnician (Former Employee) –  West Point, PAMarch 11, 2019
worked in the union and it was terrible. the management and union fight all the time and everyone on the new contract is underpaid. I wouldn't go back there as a union employee again.
Great company to work for.
Pharmaceutical Speaker Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 11, 2019
Great company to work for. Excellent pay. Excellent customer service representatives and pharmaceutical representatives. Fair hiring practices. Enjoyable atmosphere.
Pros
Excellent pay
sales
PORTFOLIO SPECIALTY REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  West Point, PAMarch 11, 2019
large company with difficult time under management when looking to advance. large pipeline with bright future for optimal patient care and disease improvements
Layed back
Packaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCMarch 11, 2019
Great company good pay i was hured thru a temp agency so my assignment ended.but it was a steady pace the fulltime people got along pretty good with the temps
Pros
Relaxed and great hrs
Cons
To slow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merck. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K
41.1K

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight