Mercy Corps Employee Reviews

Management incapable of providing clear directions and strategy of project implementation.
Deputy Cief of Party BRIDGE (Former Employee) –  Juba South SudanMarch 30, 2018
Mercy Corps was inconsistent in it treatment of staff, both international as well as national. Many of the contractual obligations were not met because of inexperience staff and the poor relationship with the donor.
Pros
Adquate project funding to meet goals and objectives
Cons
Lack of management skills and support for the home office.
Stressful
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer; (Former Employee) –  Karamoja RegionFebruary 21, 2018
The day begins at 8:00am and closes at 5:00pm and staff are free to hang out with colleagues. there is freedom of interaction with leadership and staff. Mercycorps has a digital library that encouraged my learning. lots of reading material. Lots of impact evaluations are conducted and this gave me a hands-on experience.
Pros
respect staff leave days
Cons
Very strict policy for local context
Productive work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 21, 2018
As an intern, I had weekly meetings with my boss to talk about our project. He gave my team constructive feedbacks all the time so my team members and I can improve research process which led to producing informative final report.
I was hired for a non-job position
Senior Development Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2018
I never really understood why I got hired at Mercy Corps in New York. It's a Portland, OR based organization, but they had an exhibition like facility in New York. But suddenly they just shut everything down and closed the New York office. That explained why all during the year they never wanted to do anything that would really advance things in New York.
Mercy Corps is true to values
Communications and Learning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2018
Fantastic innovative organization that supports all employees to learn and grow. In the field and at headquarters you will find a collaborative team of high functioning, ambitious people who are motivated to make the world a better place.
Very nice place
Accountant (Former Employee) –  NamanganDecember 18, 2017
A day in the Mercy corps is very productive. Because of the popularity ofthe company therre always some work for you to do. People are very polite and responsible
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Healthcare
I like playing football
Deputy Country Director, DM&E (Former Employee) –  Sulimania/North IraqNovember 29, 2017
It was nice time which I had spent working for Mercy Corps although there were some misunderstandings but this was the fact of life. I am ready to workagain for Mercy Corps any where.
Pros
Good rest time. Flexablity and friendy realationship
Cons
Short breaks and health insurance are needed specially in hardship areas
very good work
translator and English tutor (Former Employee) –  palestine gazaSeptember 28, 2017
My goal with every job is to take care of every detail and to deliver a high quality translation. I guarantee a 100% error-free human translation. You can completely count on me to get your job perfectly done.
Pros
open day
Cons
short breaks
Great place and good people
Development Database Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 17, 2017
One of the best places I've worked. You're surrounded by dedicated, bright, creative and smart people who constantly reinvent their daily work which in turn, makes the organization nimble and dynamic.
Temp Position
Human Resources Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 6, 2017
I worked in the HR department and I was doing data entry. The job itself was rather mindless and boring, but the co-workers were alright. It seemed like a somewhat negative environment and people were stressed.
Great organization, middle of the road management
Manager (Current Employee) –  GlobalFebruary 13, 2017
Great vision and values with passionate employees and a truly global reach. Unfortunately management to achieve objectives is not always up to the task, and indecisiveness or pandering to pet projects of those with power distracts from main goals.
MC is and all inclusive workplace with no culture of discrimination. The workmates are active and team work is a culture
Financial Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Moroto Field Office UgandaSeptember 7, 2015
Excellent work place and supportive to staff professional advancement.
At MC I learnt a lot in working for the vulnerable communities. I have learnt about the risks a girl child goes through. I am still serving at MC and hope to stay longer as well as grow in responsibility and rank.
Pros
The benefits given to staffs are good compared to other organisations
Cons
Salary scale is low for officers given the current cost of living
productive work place with dynamic team
Livestock services specialist (Former Employee) –  Negele BorenaAugust 9, 2015
Excellent work place with programatic areas with good theory of change for coommunity development. I have System change approch for Economic and Market development project. Well experienced seniour advisors is what I like most in MC. Emergency sition over laps with development is the harderst prt of my job . Cosely working with private and government sector was the most enjoable part of my experiance
Pros
free tea break
Cons
medical insurnce
Productive and serious work place
Translator and Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Gaza, NHMarch 19, 2015
I love working with the stuff since they are very creative , determined and well organised .

I used to support mentees to develop their 3-month implementation plan and agree on the final draft of the plan.
I used to spend 4 hours per week with each group of mentees (one to one mentoring) or (group of mentees) to monitor their progress, analyze their efficiency and guide them of how to develop their online profiles in freelancing websites, apply for and win online bids from freelancing websites, help them to properly communicate with prospective clients,highlight and encourage opportunities where freelancers can work in groups rather than individuals, answer questions raised by mentees, providing new techniques for generation of income online within or out of freelancing platforms, report on any issues affecting the successful implementation of the project and finally,supporting and help mentees and follow-up them online (e.g. Facebook groups\Skype).
In finance department the review is that ethics and ethical vallues are required as of cord of conduct,puntuality an sbove all work as been a core.
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  jubaSeptember 1, 2014
Every day at the work place has been functional and operative.
As a finance officer you are expected to operate on all your duties meaning that all financial responsibilities must be learned by a finance officer
Management part of finance is its control and allocation
at the course of work all my co-workers have finance officer
finance control is the most difficult part of the job
team work
Pros
not important
Cons
personal
Great place to be an intern!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 1, 2014
Every year Mercy Corps brings on an accounting student to help with the audit process and the tax return. My bosses at Mercy Corps did a great job finding projects for me that were challenging, to help me grow and learn.
Very Empowering employer
Learning and Knowledge Advisor (Current Employee) –  Addis AbabaMarch 3, 2014
The best part of this job is the many opportunities it offers for career and personal growth
Pros
Temp duty assignments out of country
Cons
volunteering with mercy corps and working with there kids programms was the best thing that ever happened to me
(volunteer), LEBANON (Former Employee) –  baalbek, LebanonJanuary 11, 2014
the best part was working with kids... i'm a pharmacist i knew everything about drugs but none of them could draw a smile on a child's face ..... helping with the distribution of none food items made me feel that i'm positively helping these refugees to get throw the hard times ... mercy corps staff are very organized and dedicated and their processes were very clear and all of them treat everyone with respect... i learned a lot about myself and about what i can do ... it was a very special chapter in my life and i hope that its going to be continued in the future :) thank you mercy corps.
Work would be more beneficial if management will be cooperative
Project Manager, Project Implementation Unit (PIU) (Former Employee) –  Islamabad and LahoreAugust 23, 2013
The hardest part of the job was ego issues of management. No respect to working hours. Even on holidays you were asked to come office. Delays in response from management thus resulting in over all delays in deliverables.
Pros
Compensation and benefits were good
Cons
no breaks. working even after working hours and on holidays
The most productive workplace of my life.
Sr. Field Program Coordinator/ Head of Office (Former Employee) –  Kakata, Margibi CountyDecember 14, 2012
A typical work day at Mercy Corps was in the field working with the most needed people and standing up for their cause, helping to build their capacities most especially during the Liberian civil war. Learned to work under pressure and very difficult circumstances. At mercy Corps, it was really a great team of co-workers all believing in improving the lives of the needed and bringing social and economic change to local communities. The hardest part of our work at Mercy Corps was working in an insecured environment where young people carrying AK-47s were the kings and lords of the day. I really enjoy the capacity building programs at Mercy Corps. There were always new learning opportunities for staff and local people.