Mercy Health Employee Reviews

A mostly busy place that will challenge you
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Mercy Hospital, MuskegonFebruary 13, 2019
I am going to give a glimpse of typical things that happen any given day at mercy hospital. I worked there for 3 years. In my department there were roughly 45 other people, more than half were xray. When you went in for a shift you could expect a few things. Things were behind, people were sitting on their phones while patients were in need of services, but some people just didn’t feel like it. One worker was always missing but that kind of stuff was ok because said employee worked there for 40 years. Not to mention HIPAA violations by the same worker, writing down information about patients, taking it right from their charts. The other workers were always talking behind each other’s backs and to managers who only fed the gossip. If you were in need of assistance, very few from the team would come to help. They would literally sit and watch the orders come in, knowing that one person is handling all of them. 2-3 hours would go by without help. Even if you called for help, those coming to help did it at their own pace. The management team only cares about covering their butts or the workers that have been there for a long time that didn’t play by the rules. The same employee mentioned above pulled me to another room and had some very terrible things to say to me, I took it to my department manager who pretended to take it to HR. When I inquired about it, I was told it was handled, but nothing was done.
People would have 40 hour positions and sign up for extra shifts - some people would end up with 50-60 hours and back out at the last minute and then everyone scrambled to cover
  more... the shifts, meanwhile relief status workers would be getting 15-20 hours and having to drop everything to help cover shifts or just to get hours.
I applied for 5 open positions in my department because the manager told me to. I had been working as relief anyways so they knew my religious beliefs but I told the manager about not being able to work one of the days in the posted jobs and asked how we could work around it. With a smile the manager told me to apply anyway and that we would cross that bridge when the time came. When I was offered a position, I was first told that I was offered the lowest hourly position available due to my religious beliefs. Even as upset as I was, I accepted the position and asked what we were going to do about the one day a week I couldn’t work. The manager told me that I had to work it, told me I could ask everyone in the department to switch days with me every single time I got scheduled. I asked for an accommodation, offered to work the craziest shift available instead, and offered to work days others did now want. HR said they didn’t have to accommodate me or work with me that they didn’t have to give me the job that had already been offered.
That is seriously only a little bit of what goes on there. Would recommend that anyone thinking of working there turn and run.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Terrible management, catty/gossip-filled environment
Internship
Student (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 12, 2019
I worked as an intern for 8 months. Mercy was a great place to work and overall, Iearned a lot of things there that I might not have somewhere else. There are many opportunities as well.
Pros
Friendly people
Stay away from Blue Ash Pre-services/Patient Services Specialist position
Patient Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHFebruary 9, 2019
I really liked my job in clinic but upper management “centralized” and my job transferred to Pre-Services in Blue Ash. Co-workers are fantastic, but the supervisors were dishonest, manipulative, vengeful, and have zero experience in many of the positions they oversee. The turnover is unlike any place I’ve been before, 7 people left a 25 person department in about 8 months. People cry, have panic attacks, and loath being there.

They also ignored complaints of racists comments made by one employee to another because they cannot afford to lose another staff member. Many attitudes about race by the supervisor were very problematic (for the record, I’m Caucasian).

Patient Services Specialist positions at other locations (Mason, Bond Hill) are probably tolerable, but do not work in Blue Ash.

While I did like my position with Mercy Health in clinic I cannot recommend mercy because they allow such incompetence and unethical management in addition to the fact that they force restructuring on departments that don’t need it.
Pros
No micromanaging, relaxed dress code
Cons
No flexibility in schedule, toxic management
great place to work
Epremis Follow-Up Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 7, 2019
the commute was difficult, employees are friendly, quiet places to read, pray, and study. On site cafeteria and vending machines. clean and secure building
Pros
GREAT place to work
Cons
commute
Have a thick skin
Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 6, 2019
Working in healthcare is tough now-a-days. If you work at one of the area hospitals besides St. Vincent's you may have a better experience. Pay is good, management needs a lot of work.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Not a bad job if you like unsafe patient to nurse ratios and poor management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boardman, OHFebruary 6, 2019
Unfortunately my 8 plus years at St. E's Boardman was not a positive experience, especially towards the end. Working as a nurse was stressful every single day due to poor staffing and high nurse to patient ratios. Patient satisfaction surveys were all you ever heard about. Maintaining the budget was the number one concern, even if it means putting patient (and nurse!) safety on the back burner. As a staff nurse, I feel that I should never have had to be as stressed out about the unit budget as I was. It was all that was ever talked about. Management was honestly the worst- full of drama, giving preferential treatment to their friends, etc. To avoid it I would just try to keep to myself all day. Nursing isn't the only department suffering- radiology dept, transport, kitchen staff, respiratory therapy all are run on bare bones staff to save money. Every employee ends up running themselves ragged just trying to get through the work day. When I first started my job, I loved it. It's unfortunate now that I would never recommend working there to anyone. Mercy simply does not care about its employees or patients. Like many big corporations its all about the bottom line.
Pros
good amount of PTO
Cons
poor management, staffing
A worthwhile environment
PATIENT TRANSPORT MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 5, 2019
The facility and faculty are generally down to earth people, and the management ranges from competent to comically airheaded, but overall, a solid place to work for both medical and non-medical employees. I got to know many great people during my time spent working here, and I'm glad to know they're all advancing themselves either with or beyond Mercy's workplace environment.
Pros
Earned PTO, Flexible Schedules, above average payment
Cons
Management sometimes gets poor, mandating
very busy
Pharmacy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OH 45014February 5, 2019
You worked a different schedule every day even as a full time person. You never worked the same area of the hospital so it was hard to get to know where all the pixis machines were. I had to push a cart with about 200 lbs of medical supplies on it all over the hospital and I only weigh 125. It was a very physically demanding job with crazy scheduling so you really couldn't make plans. If you asked for help as a new employee they considered it against you instead of realizing you wanted to do a better job by asking for help. Very poor management.
Good company.
Pre Certification Specialists/Patient Registration (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 5, 2019
Mercy is a really great company to work for. The benefits are not so great. You have to use your PTO on holidays. They do not have holiday pay. Also the pay is not so great.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No breaks
My Review
Research and Innovation Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 5, 2019
I enjoyed having the opportunity to learn new things and grow within the company. My management team has always been outstanding and very easy to work with.
Ok place to work
Lead Cook/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 4, 2019
The the can be over whelming at times. You definitely have to be able to multitask. Staff overall was friendly and I enjoyed getting to know the staff throughout the hospital.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hard work
Free gym to work out in
Charge tech in x-ray and Lead Tech in MRI (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHFebruary 3, 2019
I enjoyed my job at Mercy Health, but the Management was unfair.
The hours are great, and my co-workers are great. There were very few incentives at my job.
Cons
Unfair management
Do yourself a favor look elsewhere for work!
Police Officer/security (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJanuary 31, 2019
Terrible place to work. If your not one of the police chief (Security Manager) lap dog you will be treated terribly. He has no one supervising him and he just does what he wants. I have never worked for an employer who had such an egotistical, narcissistic person in charge. I've worked for other departments that has one or two people like this but they have quite a few in charge that he has created. All you have to do is look at that turnovers. When that type of personality is brought in it's like cancer and spreads. Years of service mean absolutely nothing to them! Hopefully someone in upper management with catch on and correct inner department management circus. Your just a body and don't make the mistake like I do thinking you matter.
Pros
There is some great employee's that work there.
Cons
No organization. Inexperienced supervisors.
My review
Scrub Tech (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHJanuary 25, 2019
When I was at Mercy I worked Night shift, we would come in to get report on anything going on typical or not. We where given the place where we would work that night then go there to relieve the person we would be taking over for. We would stay in that potion unless something would come up then we would help where ever we were needed. Like I said I will forever be grateful for all that Mercy taught me and I would love be a member of the Mercy family again. If I could have an opportunity to meet with someone from Mercy West I promise that they will not be sorry.
a typical work day
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 24, 2019
The hardest part of the job was coming in as a travel nurse, and being accepted. All did not have the team approach attitude but most did. Management was fair. Parking was good, considering weather conditions and winter time. Overall needs improvement.
Cons
did not favor having a minority working in certain areas
Great environment
Education Coordinator / Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 23, 2019
I loved Mercy and thought I was going to retire from there. Management, staff, and patients were great. Mercy closed its doors and was eventually torn down.
productive.
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 22, 2019
I learned a lot form this internship, but with all of the technology advancements it was hard to keep up with it all and learn it all in such a short amount of time. I wish my internship was longer so I could of learned the system better.
Pros
relaxed, no pressure, friendly people
Cons
technology advance, confuisng
Productive workplace
Surgical Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 22, 2019
I Enjoy working at mercy. Mercy was my very first CST job after graduating my accredited school and the bulk of my CST knowledge comes from working at Mercy hospitals facility.
Mission statement
Echo Stress Technician (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 21, 2019
The company exemplifies its mission statement. The job culture is nice. Your coworkers provide a family like atmosphere. Managers are accessible to employees.
Pros
Work autonomy
Cons
I feel I need more training time.
Overall Satisfying and Family Like Atmosphere
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Irvine, KYJanuary 20, 2019
A Typical day at work is very fast paced and unpredictable, which can be both satisfying and difficult at the same time. I have learned that healthcare is very unpredictable in anticipating what the day may bring. I have learned that Mercy Health does go above and beyond to ensure employees have the skills, training, knowledge and tools required to complete their job duties and tasks. Management is overall very understanding and easy to work with. They are very knowledgable about all aspects of Mercy Health Hospitals and outpatient clinics. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the day to day stress of overloaded schedules and limited staff due to frequent support staff absences. The most enjoyable part of my job is by far being a part of a patient's success in well-being and working alongside coworkers who feel like family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercy Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Mercy Health.

Powered by Comparably