Mercy Housing

Mercy Housing insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

Seriously on the fence. There’s good. There’s bad.

In working for MH I find it difficult to describe. You need to know your stuff and have the patience of a saint. Way to corporate. And way too much constantly coming down from all different directions.

Pros

pTO and Holidays

Cons

Too much change and policy. Let us do our job.

Promote

They are very bad with promoting within ! They will hire a temp before they select a employee that helping before the temp came in and tell you that your not mercy Housing material

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Pay

An overall Very Solid Company, Culture, Benefits Balance

They have good benefits I thought. Good 403b with good company match contribution percentage. Also the health insurance when I was there in 2019 for a single male was like $145/month. They are what is called "self-insured" so this helps with the premiums. They observe like 10 or 11 of the regular national federal holidays plus give you 2 floating. They also give you your birthday and Anniversary date that you can take within 60 days so it's like 2 more floating. Then you have your regular 2 weeks PTO. This can accrue up to 6 weeks and after 5 years you get 4 weeks per year! It's also a work from home/work from office hybrid model. And the people and culture are all really pretty cool!

Chaotic organization with severe understaffing and lack of appropriate and skilled supervision.

Really tough place to work-Management disconnect from reality of direct service staff is staggering. woefully understaffed, pervasive burnout,vicarious trauma and internal discord. Some lovely skillful staff but lower ranks are really not respected valued or supported in the ways that are meaningful and aligned with the needs that are specific to high stress /occasionally unsafe work enviroments. One manager reffered to staff 'like pawns on a chess board"- that mentality from midlevel leadership pretty much sums it up-Clients are pretty much the best aspect of the job. Ask lots of questions and vist properties before accepting a position.

Pros

Residents

Cons

See Above

NW region poorly managed

I put in an extraordinary effort in making my property a great place, but was never given any positive feedback. Management only focused on what was wrong.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Support, lack of resources, Hr

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Stay far away from NW region

The Mission not longer has a place in this region. Only thing that matters is the RVPs numbers looking good off the backs of the site staff and at the expense of the tenants and the properties.Value, Justice and Mercy? What a joke. Since HR is there to protect the company, not help or assist employees, nothing happens to him.

Pros

PTO and paid holidays

Cons

Every thing else.

Yikes!

Great benefits and some great co-workers. Nightmare upper management, HR was terrible, upper management is dismissive creating a toxic work environment. If you say anything negative you will become a target, they do not want to hear anything critical about buildings even if your intentions are good. Many wonderful tenants, and a handful of very challenging ones. Challenging tenant issues become a nightmare when your upper management is completely dismissive. The culture is a top down ideology that results in a high turn over, like every position in the building people last two yrs to two months... Upper management needs to rethink how approach staff and residents.

Pros

Good benefits/ pay

Cons

Dismissive leadership

Bad Manager

Too many negative things to write. It was mostly my immediate supervisor that was mean to me for six years. Other people were ok. I loved working with the residents. The multi-national presence at my location was inspiring. And I felt like I was doing something that helped others.

Pros

I had a job I enjoyed and was successful with my duties

Cons

My enjoyment was thrashed by manager constantly.

Was once a great place to work

Use to be a good company. Over the last 2 years the upper managment has turned a once respectful compay on its head. The very people that preach the core values violate them the most. "Do as i say not as i do" attitude from leadership.

Pros

pens provided, swivel chairs, ice machine

Cons

No support from upper management, contemplate jumping from building daily, pulling out your own eyeballs would be less painful then a career at Mercy Housing.

Productive but unorganized

I loved working at Mercy. However, it's a company that it is all about who you know. If you are in personal friendships with managers, you are safe if there are layoffs. Even if you are not a great worker, rude to others, get complaints filed on them and don't follow their mission statement.

Awful Management

This is the worst management I have ever worked for. Extremely unorganized and unprofessional. We are understaffed, overworked, and underpaid. Our managers do not listen to us, give us extremely ridiculous deadlines and if we can't finish them we get scolded. I love the residents at my job but management is making it hard to stay. I have a lazy coworker who leaves me all their work and when I told management about it nothing was done other than the fact that I can no longer have communication with them and now their manager is trying to find "dirt" or anything to use against me, so stupid. All other buildings owned by Mercy seem to have a great rep, however, So Cal region is falling apart and needs help from the top to the bottom.

Pros

Early Friday's

Difficult Work Culture and No Support

Company is dysfunctional - does not support employees. Upper management is dismissive, doesn't provide training and cultivates negative work environments. Human Resources is non-responsive and unavailable; any good employees eventually leave because of lack of change to correct problems. One good thing about Mercy that I enjoyed was the flexible time off if you needed for emergencies; unfortunately, employees that abused this caused changes to this benefit instead of being disciplined. If you speak up about anything, you have a target on your back. Pay is questionable and the work culture is very stressful. Communication is also difficult between the individuals on the ground and the people in the higher offices.

Pros

Time Off Program

Cons

Stressful work Environment, Upper Management, Non-Responsive H/R, Lack of Communication between staff

They don’t care about their employees.

Employees could barely get hand sanitizer and DISINFECTANT wipes in the middle of a pandemic! They will act like they care about their employees and like there is room to grow within the company but their isn’t. Their security isn’t up to par, working overnights is very unsafe, security is unreliable, there is zero communication within the company. There are fights and shootings every week, would not recommend at all.

Pros

Entertainment from all the violence

Cons

Everything else

Not great

A lot of back word thinking and zero support n9 one really cares about you as a person just what you can do for them. Advancement is a joke. They care about paperwork not the job getting Done correctly!

Pros

Half day Friday and 2 weeks off at Christmas paid

Cons

No support

Mercy Housing Horrible company

Overall Mercy housing is a cheap company that does not want to compensate their workers I wouldn’t suggest anyone working for them. They nitpick about everything and don’t want to give their employees overtime Dorthea being the main source.

Lower pay then most but great flexibility

Wish I still worked there. They were a great company but lacked a large portfolio at the time to support my salary needs. Would work there again if given the chance.

Bias two faced liars

I would not working with the AR department. They lie to your face and waste your time. They are a grouo of 3 people who do nothing but talk down about other employees in different departments instead of looking at how there behaviors are horrible. If they treat employees with no respect i cant imagine them treating customers with respect. They cant accept others opinions and if you dont act and think like them they backstab you.

Pros

Cons

Bias, liars, gossip queens, double standards

Property manager was nice working with, and the ADO was as well.

Was a maintenance manager and I truly enjoyed working for mercy housing, brand new building and nice having security. Worked and lived on-site so it made it ruff

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

To many shootings

Their mission to truly help others.

I was elated when I was hired by Mercy Housing, I truly believed I had found the company that would be my forever work family, we had the same outlook on current situations and goals for the property and tenants alike; however it changed and became a lot of talk with no walk. I believe everyone has been going through the hardest parts of their lives over this last year, and coming into a company with huge dreams and expectations, well they unfortunately fell short. There is no training, so buckle down to the computer and take notes, read your manual and ask questions no matter how much you may think you know the “best practice” is not their best practice. Do not mix your private life with your coworkers no matter what they may say to your face, everyone lied to mine and then turned to the big boss, no warning, no chance to improve, no anything, just fired. Be a lesson to be taught, a big nonprofit corporation is still a corporation. Don’t ever step over someone’s shoes, just do the job with your mouth shut.

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits

Cons

Poor upper Management, jealous tendencies amongst coworkers, don’t trust anyone until they give you a reason to.

Simple

I worked here as a desk clerk for three years as I was going to school . The con workers are supportive of your goals . There is also opportunity to move within the career positions at mercy . Desk clerks monitor traffic , write in rodent reports and minimal office task (printing , mail letters , organize files etc)

Pros

Paid Time Off, Holiday Pay, Appraisals

Little to no support, no room for growth

I started out here as an eager, fresh faced recent college grad and left extremely stressed and jaded from my experience with this non-profit. From the start, I was put in the driver's seat and had a lot of freedom within my role, which I appreciated for that flexibility-- however, it came at the cost of having nearly no guidance from my supervisor, who was always absent and hard to get a response from either through email or calls. This lack of support and communication made it difficult and confusing to execute basic assignments integral to essential job functions. Regardless, you'll end up getting blamed even if you try to object or ask for what you need. There is little to no opportunity for advancement, even within my time they ignored my application for another senior position within the same facility I was operating in and did not do a job evaluation for me for a raise, even though I was promised one. The pay is laughable once you actually get in and see how overwhelming your workload is. I often volunteered my time to finish tasks after hours because I was essentially working two jobs at once when they fired a colleague of mine and because you are absolutely forbidden from taking overtime, even if it's just a minute. To add to that, the turnover at one particular So Cal site is so extreme, the residents at a facility have no stability or trust in the services offered by Mercy. That should've given me warning, but I thought it wouldn't happen to me. How naive I was. Don't get me wrong, I was and still am excited to assist and empower underserved populations. The people -

Pros

Population served

Cons

Management, Pay, Stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercy Housing. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Mercy Housing with