Mercy Iowa City Employee Reviews

Quick-paced environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Iowa CityJanuary 21, 2019
Always learning something new. Pleasant co-workers, both administrative and clinical. Can be stressful at times, with overwhelming flow of phone calls.
ok
ARNP (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 16, 2019
Interesting company to work for, good people providing care to many different people and areas of practice. Good learning experience. Nice facility for all.
cut throat
Iowa City (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IANovember 17, 2018
Mercy is still going under even with management changes. There are no SOP in place. Turnover is crazy. Medicaid and Medicare are abused there. The Federal Government should look much closer.
friendly enviroment
Communications Operator (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 5, 2018
My typical day at work, I come in and everyone in my office is very caring, it's like having your own little family there to greet you. You get settled in and wait to see what will be the excitement for the day or evening. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you get to help someone, the most challenging is dealing with irate people who feel we should have all the answers right now and you have to stay calm with them and isolate the problem. It's enjoyable to learn new things and I enjoy a challenge and problem solving. I enjoy helping others learn and want them to be comfortable as I feel it's already a stressful situation for them as they are learning new things to.
Productive company
Shift Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 30, 2018
I was the shift leader i staged all supplies and equip.by doing this they started rite on time.5 floors each evening ,unlock all offices and exam rooms to get the trash vacuum clean desks and furniture&all bathrooms,hallways.Inspect each ones work and move to next floor.
Pros
work at a good pace
Cons
n/a
Manager (Current Employee) –  Iowa CityJune 25, 2018
Mercy Iowa City continues to provide excellent patient care and to be a very good place to work. While Mercy has experienced a variety of change in the last few years, this is still a great place to come for care and a great place to work.
Great Company
Engineering, Maintenance Mechanic I (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed all the years I worked at Mercy, To work for a Company that worked every day to meet their Mission Statement was very rewarding. The workplace was very pleasant
Pros
Committed Management
Cons
Small, enjoyable hospital to work in
Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 15, 2018
I was a nursing technician and enjoyed the small hospital environment. I worked had but enjoyed working with other staff on the floor. I did get floated quite a bit.
The patient waiting time is unacceptable
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  2769 Heartland Dr Suite 205, Coralville, IA 52241April 19, 2018
Toxic environment overall. Not a place you want to be connected with if you want to be a true partner in patient care and customer service.
Patients are seen as dollar signs. Staff is seen as expendable, and management is capricious and uncaring.
Management is rude the company is all over the place she does not know how to run this practice.
Pros
Salary & benefits
Cons
Toxic management and environment
Work day
Laboratory Training & Clinical Rotation (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 12, 2018
Good friendly company to work. Very flexible company. Good staff. Good pay for the area. Good benefits. Friendly professional environment. Highly recommend
Difficult to review
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 10, 2018
I'm afraid I must echo other reviews as I recently had to make the difficult decision to seek other employment. The hospital has great care by the staff, but overall management doesn't seem to know how to fix their problems. The hospital looks like a ghost town. Many new jobs are "quick pay" and don't include benefits.
Pros
Excellent care by staff
Cons
Extremely uncertain future and job security
Dead-end
Phlebotomist Clerk I, Unit Clerk Float (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAFebruary 16, 2018
There exists a very real, very negative culture at Mercy Iowa City perpetuated by those who have been employed for a long time. Working with these people inevitable drains all sense of pride and happiness from one's life: the work is genuinely stressful as staffing is almost always an issue and cynicism and pessimism reign supreme. Heads up.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Poor management, little room for advancement
Very approachable team
Secretary, Relief (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 31, 2018
Friendly, cooperative and kind teammates. Lots of changes going on but people show respect and care with each other. Low stress in the grand scheme of things (administratively speaking) which I equate to proper perspective or “work/life” balance. Inclusive environment for especially for a temporary position is what is really nice as I’ve been in other permanent FT positions elsewhere that didn’t happen.
Pros
Inclusive, respectful and great cafeteria.
Cons
Temporary
This hospital has 2 different pages on Indeed
RN (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 27, 2018
This hospital seems to have two different pages on this site. The other page gives it a 2.9 rating and describes current culture of uncertainty. Do a search for Mercy Hospital in Iowa City to get some other viewpoints.
Hospital is on the verge of bankruptcy
Environmental Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 14, 2018
Mercy Iowa City has a line of credit with US bank (read Moody's most recent report) that expires 8/2018. If it isn't renewed, the hospital will no longer be able to operate at a two million dollar a month loss, as it has over the past few years. Moody's downgraded Mercy's bond rating in 2017 to BAA1, based on this, as well as continued poor performance compared to its peers, and a dangerously under-funded pension fund (which new employees no longer have access to). Experienced employees are leaving in droves as they seek better job security and a less-toxic work environment, and being replaced with inexperienced new-comers, putting Mercy's reputation for quality healthcare in serious jeopardy. All of these factors have created a downward spiral that it appears Mercy will be unable to break free of.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits (at least historically)
Cons
Toxic work environment, zero job security, poorly managed, employee brain-drain
No job security
former nurse (Former Employee) –  nursingJanuary 13, 2018
Mercy Iowa City was at one time the place to work. Since the layoffs, cuts in benefits and other changes, many employees have lost trust in the organization and are leaving faster than what the administration can hire/replace. There is no job security there. Management is operating poorly and out of fear to keep their own positions. The original Sisters of Mercy would be astonished. The University of Iowa is looking pretty darn good for MANY current Mercy employees.........
Cons
Administration does not care
Productive workplace
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 4, 2018
Great management and work culture. I enjoy working at this hospital. The cons are that I don't have much patient contact and I feel like I am missing out on that.
Pros
Great management
Cons
No paid holidays
Good place for long-term employment
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IA 52245December 26, 2017
Mercy Hospital is a good employer, offering good benefits and long-term employment. The hospital provides quality services to patients, including both overnight stay and acute stay.
Certified Nursing Assistant/ Float Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 17, 2017
I loved my job with Mercy! I loved the people I got to work with. It was a fast paced job but did not get overworked. The environment was great. I am so glad I got the opportunity to work at Mercy.
Progressive and collaborative environment
Medical Surgical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 13, 2017
Highly recommended for anyone relocating to Iowa City Iowa.
If I relocate to Iowa, I would gladly work there all over again. Staffing and environment supportive of family and school schedule
Pros
Fre