Mercy Employee Reviews

It is what it is a big company
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOJanuary 8, 2019
They do not pay well but has great benefits. Lpn’s are not utilized properly they use them as techs. Not a horrible place to work just have to be willing to settle
Pros
Uniforms
Cons
Low pay, no breaks, bad utilization of skills
Legal Department is horrible
Legal (Former Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 5, 2019
If you're looking to get STL corporate legal experience & want to work with the most disorganized, dysfunctional, cut throat & horrible leaders & people, then this is the place for you! You will hate your life there! The leadership of the "window row" is disgusting & pompous. High turnover, bad benefits, unprofessional, no life balance. 10 years behind other legal depts. They cant keep people in the department because they all get their experience & quit for better jobs!
Pros
None!
Cons
Poor leadership
Horrible pay
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 4, 2019
The pay is a joke compared to other hospitals in the area. Atmosphere is terrible. Administration and leaders don’t listen. Mercy worries to much about how patients are treated and not how they treat employees.
Cons
No time off. No help.
The work enviorment and people at the clinic I work in are the best people I have ever met.
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJanuary 3, 2019
A typical day for me is coming in at 7:45-8 am, verifying insurances, call and answering phones, scheduling, scanning, faxing and checking patients in and out.
I love the atmosphere and how thoughtful all of my co workers are. Mercy truly cares about quality of patient care and I love that I get to be apart of this team.
the hardest part of the job is probably upset, angry or annoyed patients that need to vent a little, and the front end gets a lot of that.
Its not too bad and most people apologize after, you just can't wear your heart on your sleeve and take offense to grieving patients.
I have learned a lot about the medical field and how to do a lot more than when I started here.
Worse culture and from HR to management a let down
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 29, 2018
Loved the mission statement, that's why I wanted to work Mercy. Quickly learned that management hardly existed. Since staff was friends with management, they would steal time, leave as they choose, wasn't required to put notice in for time off and make false accusations. HR would follow up and side with management even though neither knew what was going on. Prejudice if you are smart in a race other than Caucasian. Fuss over OT but scheduled for a certain time, other staff member can leave early so have to stay and be in trouble over OT. Confusing company and no staff support.
Pros
Mission statement, good older APRNs
Cons
Management, Hr, and not equal to all employees
Low paying job
PCA/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 25, 2018
I work on Neuro, its a very hard floor to be on, and i feel like we do not get paid enough for all that we do. Ive been here going on four years and have not has the same manager each year, lots and lots of turn overs.
Pros
good vacation time
Cons
low pay, cant keep managment around
Terrible corporation
PSR - Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 17, 2018
Too bad it’s not a ministry anymore like St. John’s was. It’s all about the numbers at mercy and not the people. They pay terrible! Don’t care at all about you. Will suck you dry. Great coworkers was the only reason I made it almost a year. Management only wanted production with no reward. No sincerity AT ALL. I left a month shy of my one year, had been saving PTO for my vacation, and decided to transition out before my vacation with the understanding I’d receive my PTO payout on my last check. WRONG! Went way up the ladder in HR. Was told I’d get a return call in 48 hours by a live individual with apparent authority. Three weeks later I called again. Left a message. Got a call back within a week that nothing could be done. Was it even attempted? How could I think it was when I didn’t get a call when I was expecting it? Proof they don’t care about their employees at all!!!
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Below average pay, heavy workload
Staff have autonomy to use what they went to school for!
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 12, 2018
I love the autonomy that respiratory therapists have at Mercy. I think it sets a higher level of care for patients and also shows trust in staff to be knowledgeable.
Beautiful Active Campus
MEDICAL SUPPORT REP (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARDecember 8, 2018
The Campus' are designed to keep coworkers active and in touch with one another. They play into the culture of Mercy with everyone being interactive, friendly, and helpful at work.
If your personality doesn't fit forget it
Pre op RN (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MONovember 8, 2018
The mercy culture is one of unforgiveness. You make a mistake and it is held over your head and brought back to your attention time and time again. Teamwork is a word that is thrown around but is not practiced. You are lucky to see a supervisor once a week. There is no official training program and when you ask for documents so you can do your job more safely they never arrive or you are given some sticky notes and told to go through those. They preach safety yet nobody gives you the tools so you may perform your job more safely. There is no official preceptor so you are left to fend for yourself and figure it out on your own. Then when you are not doing things properly you are yelled at and told to hurry it up. Management only gives negative feedback and does not meet with new hires to ensure their experience is going ok. Management is wishy-washy at best and allows her staff to make decisions for her. Turn over rates are high......geez I wonder why?
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad charge RN, poor management, negative work environment, backtabbing behavior, no proper training to department
Management is terrible
Lead EVS (Former Employee) –  Rehabilitation in Ozark, MONovember 7, 2018
Management fires people everyday for no reason. Their are lots of good workers that work for this company and end up getting fired for not a reason....
Benefits
Cons
Management is terrible
Don't work in marketing at Mercy
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2018
I can't comment on working as a healthcare provider at Mercy, as all of my interactions with its doctors and nurses have been positive. However, its support personnel can be a different story. The culture, overall, is excellent and patient-oriented. But expect to have utterly unclear chains of reporting, in which you're held responsible for not reading the minds of the various people who are giving you conflicting instructions and none of whom are actually your direct supervisor. Apparently HR hasn't figured out yet that there's your "boss" at Mercy and then there's the person who's giving you conflicting orders that you also must follow. Be prepared for terrible, capricious and down right evil management. It could have just been my department, so I would avoid working there, at least, at all costs. It's not worth the few months you'll make it before you quit out of frustration or they run you off and re-post the job for the umpteenth time.
Pros
good benefits, mission
Cons
management, matrixed reporting- where you have your "boss" you report to, but in reality your boss is whoever wants to be it that day.
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 17, 2018
Patient satisfaction, Charity assistance, Being part of a family, assisting patients in every aspect for healthcare, providing great customer service to each patient
Pros
Charitable
Great employer!
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, MoOctober 15, 2018
Mercy is a great employer. They offer continuous education to keep you up-to-date on Health Care needs of patients, they're like a family and they take care of each other, they help you get on your feet when you're a new employee and show you the ropes, they involve everyone in big decisions that affects you and the group you work with and allows you to express your input in meetings, everyone is very friendly, they offer many benefits that many other employer do not which makes it well worth it to dedicate your career to this organization.
Productive and life changing experience
Medical Asst /Receptionist II (Current Employee) –  Town and Country, MOOctober 2, 2018
Working for Mercy has a lot of different dynamics, definitely changed and shifted me out of my shell. I think that allowed me the opportunity to be able to work on communication skills, and learn how to be more of a team player. Change can be a good
thing it has pushed me to be conscious of my behavior and attitude. Different challenges and stresses have pushed me to
become stronger in different avenues, such being a problem solver a troubleshooter. I try to always think of or find new ways to
make my job more efficient as well as for my coworkers.
Pros
wonderful manager, great teamwork
Cons
not enough staff, overwhelming work load
Bad
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 1, 2018
Never work for this place. The mangers are like children , aslo they never want you to move you at the hospital. The workers are also trying to get you in trouble also they never want to move up an be realy mad when you get a new job or already have a job.
Just like any other corporation.
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 29, 2018
As stated in other reviews, they sit there and shove the mercy story down your throat and how much they want great patient care, but ultimately when it comes down to it they’d sacrifice patient care if it got them an extra dollar. It takes a literal act of god to get any kind of equipment upgrade and you’re constantly harassed about clocking out 10 minutes over, but they expect you to do the work of 5 people with 2. The managers are all in the good ole boy club and sit from their high perch and really are only there to yell at you when a mistake is made. The salary and benefits are somewhat competitive, but still completely outdated for a living wage. I’ve been passed over for 2 promotions due to my managers complete lack of care about my ambitions. Some of the things I’ve seen happen while working here would absolutely shut the hospital down. I would never come here for a surgery or anything other than possibly a physical.
Pros
Competitive salary and 401K
Nice company to work for
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 26, 2018
The benefits are great. I enjoy my career but not the company culture. I feel supported but only to an extent; for example, I feel that each employee is a member of the team as long as we "don't rock the boat."
Pros
Discounts, benefits
Cons
Morale
No leeway for illness
Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IASeptember 18, 2018
They didn't allow any days off for illness and they called you at home wanting to know if you wanted to take TSR and if you agreed it counts against your attendance
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Attendance policy
Good work experience
Occupational Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARSeptember 13, 2018
Mercy gave me good work experience in the medical field, but hurtful because if you make a mistake it can haunt you and not forgiven like you think a faith based ministry would.
Pros
Fun work environment, good co-workers
Cons
Leadership doesn’t always show the company values