Mercy Employee Reviews

If your personality doesn't fit forget it
Pre op RN (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MONovember 8, 2018
The mercy culture is one of unforgiveness. You make a mistake and it is held over your head and brought back to your attention time and time again. Teamwork is a word that is thrown around but is not practiced. You are lucky to see a supervisor once a week. There is no official training program and when you ask for documents so you can do your job more safely they never arrive or you are given some sticky notes and told to go through those. They preach safety yet nobody gives you the tools so you may perform your job more safely. There is no official preceptor so you are left to fend for yourself and figure it out on your own. Then when you are not doing things properly you are yelled at and told to hurry it up. Management only gives negative feedback and does not meet with new hires to ensure their experience is going ok. Management is wishy-washy at best and allows her staff to make decisions for her. Turn over rates are high......geez I wonder why?
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad charge RN, poor management, negative work environment, backtabbing behavior, no proper training to department
Management is terrible
Lead EVS (Former Employee) –  Rehabilitation in Ozark, MONovember 7, 2018
Management fires people everyday for no reason. Their are lots of good workers that work for this company and end up getting fired for not a reason....
Benefits
Cons
Management is terrible
Don't work in marketing at Mercy
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2018
I can't comment on working as a healthcare provider at Mercy, as all of my interactions with its doctors and nurses have been positive. However, its support personnel can be a different story. The culture, overall, is excellent and patient-oriented. But expect to have utterly unclear chains of reporting, in which you're held responsible for not reading the minds of the various people who are giving you conflicting instructions and none of whom are actually your direct supervisor. Apparently HR hasn't figured out yet that there's your "boss" at Mercy and then there's the person who's giving you conflicting orders that you also must follow. Be prepared for terrible, capricious and down right evil management. It could have just been my department, so I would avoid working there, at least, at all costs. It's not worth the few months you'll make it before you quit out of frustration or they run you off and re-post the job for the umpteenth time.
Pros
good benefits, mission
Cons
management, matrixed reporting- where you have your "boss" you report to, but in reality your boss is whoever wants to be it that day.
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 17, 2018
Patient satisfaction, Charity assistance, Being part of a family, assisting patients in every aspect for healthcare, providing great customer service to each patient
Pros
Charitable
Great employer!
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, MoOctober 15, 2018
Mercy is a great employer. They offer continuous education to keep you up-to-date on Health Care needs of patients, they're like a family and they take care of each other, they help you get on your feet when you're a new employee and show you the ropes, they involve everyone in big decisions that affects you and the group you work with and allows you to express your input in meetings, everyone is very friendly, they offer many benefits that many other employer do not which makes it well worth it to dedicate your career to this organization.
Productive and life changing experience
Medical Asst /Receptionist II (Current Employee) –  Town and Country, MOOctober 2, 2018
Working for Mercy has a lot of different dynamics, definitely changed and shifted me out of my shell. I think that allowed me the opportunity to be able to work on communication skills, and learn how to be more of a team player. Change can be a good
thing it has pushed me to be conscious of my behavior and attitude. Different challenges and stresses have pushed me to
become stronger in different avenues, such being a problem solver a troubleshooter. I try to always think of or find new ways to
make my job more efficient as well as for my coworkers.
Pros
wonderful manager, great teamwork
Cons
not enough staff, overwhelming work load
Bad
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 1, 2018
Never work for this place. The mangers are like children , aslo they never want you to move you at the hospital. The workers are also trying to get you in trouble also they never want to move up an be realy mad when you get a new job or already have a job.
Just like any other corporation.
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 29, 2018
As stated in other reviews, they sit there and shove the mercy story down your throat and how much they want great patient care, but ultimately when it comes down to it they’d sacrifice patient care if it got them an extra dollar. It takes a literal act of god to get any kind of equipment upgrade and you’re constantly harassed about clocking out 10 minutes over, but they expect you to do the work of 5 people with 2. The managers are all in the good ole boy club and sit from their high perch and really are only there to yell at you when a mistake is made. The salary and benefits are somewhat competitive, but still completely outdated for a living wage. I’ve been passed over for 2 promotions due to my managers complete lack of care about my ambitions. Some of the things I’ve seen happen while working here would absolutely shut the hospital down. I would never come here for a surgery or anything other than possibly a physical.
Pros
Competitive salary and 401K
Nice company to work for
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 26, 2018
The benefits are great. I enjoy my career but not the company culture. I feel supported but only to an extent; for example, I feel that each employee is a member of the team as long as we "don't rock the boat."
Pros
Discounts, benefits
Cons
Morale
No leeway for illness
Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IASeptember 18, 2018
They didn't allow any days off for illness and they called you at home wanting to know if you wanted to take TSR and if you agreed it counts against your attendance
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Attendance policy

Want to know more about Mercy?

Ask a question
Good work experience
Occupational Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARSeptember 13, 2018
Mercy gave me good work experience in the medical field, but hurtful because if you make a mistake it can haunt you and not forgiven like you think a faith based ministry would.
Pros
Fun work environment, good co-workers
Cons
Leadership doesn’t always show the company values
Not what it used to be
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 28, 2018
Mercy is so worried about their employees having "the Mercy way" with their patients but Mercy does not have "the Mercy way" with their employees & the Mercy way is now a joke. They underpay their employees & over work everyone to the point that everyone is burned out. You have to constantly watch out for people who try to throw you under the bus. Managers, or at least mine, does not stand up for us. Nurses have gotten at least 2 cost of living increases & a night differential increase & other departments haven't. Mercy is all about the money & they don't want to pay their employees what they are worth & then wonder why everyone is leaving. I would not recommend Mercy to anyone because every department I've talked to say that working conditions are bad & are tired of their job/the hospital.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
Horrible pay, bad working conditions, always understaffed, no management support, favoritism
Enjoyed my experience
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 24, 2018
I only worked at Mercy therapy for a little over a year before we recently relocated. It was a lot less stressful than my previous experiences with outpatient therapy since they have 1:1 patient care which is almost unheard of in the industry. I could really work with my patients and make sure they were doing things properly. I will miss working for this company and my manager.
Pros
1:1 patient care, got to work with patients instead of directing them while working with someone else
Cons
shorter amount of time with a patient due to 1:1 patient care
jobs
Food Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, MOAugust 23, 2018
There are many different jobs you can do in the cafeteria. There is working in the cafeteria serving customer and checking customer out. Dishwashing, Delivering tray to patients, cooking, answering the phone and taking the patients meal order and more
Great job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHAugust 22, 2018
I enjoyed working in the collaborative environment. The training officers provided mentoring that was necessary to build work experience. The work was fast paced on most days.
Compassionate staff and co-workers
Behavioral Health (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARAugust 16, 2018
Great place to work, compassion, empathy, concern for others.
I have witnessed and observed compassion in practice (not just theory).
Management is helpful and supportive.
Mercy really cares about clients and co-workers.
Pros
Team oriented, professional but personal
Cons
N/a
Work and Life Balance
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 9, 2018
The most enjoyable part about Mercy are their offiice parties and staff meeting. The staff places alot of effort into making the meeting and company functions enjoyable for everyone.
Pros
Flexiable schedule
Cons
Salary
Good benefits
supply chain tech 2 (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 8, 2018
You work in a temperature controlled environment. Friendly staff. Good benefits. Lot of walking involved in the job and standing on your feet for a long period of time.
Awesome coworkers, awful management
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Ozark, ARAugust 8, 2018
I love all my coworkers and my job but the management is awful. They do not care about their employees whatsoever. They have been notified about coworker concerns and they have done nothing to help.
Good Company
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARAugust 7, 2018
I would work alI would do the vitals in the morning. ong with the RN's and the Doctors. I would go in the patients rooms in the morning and do there vitals, help with what ever they needed help with. Work on the computer putting statements and short reports of the day on all of the patients.
Pros
Dealing with patients
Cons
Watching a very ill person pass away.