Meredith Corporation

Meredith Corporation Employee Reviews

United States137 reviews
Good company if you can handle the pressure and politics
Very buttoned up company. A bit too political. One you get to management it’s total “breakfast club”

But I liked working there for the most part, was well paid and still own the stock
More Competitive and Fun
It was a nice experience working there. More competitive, Fun, and Friendly environment. They handle a good culture. I learnt a lot and the manager are more energetic.
Management can not be trusted
Would not recommend working here. Management does not always support their employees. not a good work life balance. Clicky groups. Layoffs is how Meredith makes their budget numbers. Just be careful. Get in and get experience and move on!
Bad company culture
Senior management is incredibly set in their ways and wants a company of 'Yes Men'. They are not receptive to new ideas, will not update systems or policies even when issues arise due to them. Their aversion to any changes, just in areas that have known issues, was a large factor in driving me away.

The 'Yes Men' culture (only at the upper management level) means that bosses will not respect the opinions of their staff and don't want to be challenged, even on valid points. This culture has not permeated to middle management, but does make it extraordinarily difficult for positive changes to be driven in the company.
Workplace culture is poor within specific departments.
Workplace culture is poor within specific departments. There is a tremendous amount of mirco-management. The working relationships with peers are good.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
below average pay
Worked with a talented group of individuals who were like family to me. We worked very hard with limited resources. Upper management continues to cut staff on all brands but expect the same output with same pay.
Good company... bad local/regional management
Meredith is a good company. Unfortunately, executives were caught flat-footed on the changing media landscape, which translated into reduced revenue.
If you're salaried, you've got it made
This position was fun in that I got to read new information every day, load up on great recipes and inspiring content, and in that respect I was satisfied. But since my task was to choose which articles to include in the emails rather than writing them, I got bored fairly quickly. Increasing my workload only helped so much. Writing subject lines is the most important and also the toughest; people will tell you how to write good subject lines and then completely subvert those rules themselves. Eventually, you build up an instinct for what works and what doesn't.
Most people start at Meredith as contractors. It's not bad since they pay rather well, but if you want insurance you're in trouble. The agency through which you're hired offers insurance plans, but they cost enough that you'd be better off paying out of pocket.

The salaried employees have a pretty sweet deal from the sound of it, however, and many people move up to salaried positions from contractors. Meredith has lots of community outreach, activities both during and outside of work, and people who like to have fun.

As for management, I had a really positive experience. They're kind, sensible people who care about your wellbeing and are willing to talk with you about your questions. The only issue I ran into was that I would sometimes receive mixed messages: I'd sometimes get conflicting instructions from different levels of management or have the parameters of my assignment described to me one way and then enforced another.
Media company working hard in a tough environment
Media company working hard in a tough environment
Diversified media company trying to stand out for excellence.

Using technology to create new products and revenue.
Under-paid, under-appreciated
A revolving door of employees and managers creating instability, inconsistency, and general unhappiness. Shoe string budgets; the whole place runs off duct tape and a prayer. Yearly “bonus” is barely a cost of living increase. No holiday bonuses. No clue on how to manage creatives. We were hourly but we were expected to be accessible 24/7 and good luck getting overtime approved. They’ll be happy to tell you how vital you are as an employee but do nothing to show it and happily let you go when you don’t bend over backwards for them.
love the creatives
really enjoyed the time I was able to spend with other creatives, even though I felt and experienced a lacking equality opportunity structure for POC, and marginalized people at the Des Moines headquarters. This wasn't true for the NYC offices.
Not employee conscious
The culture of the company does little to allow employees to grow in their positions. They don't appreciate nor compensate the employee accordingly and HR is a useless dept.
Productive and well balanced work
Productive and well balanced work / life ratio flexible hours, ability to work from home when needed. Summer Fridays.

Demanding but compensated for your work.
Pros
Salary
Cons
at times there is overtime required - during year end
Horrible Management
Horrible place to work, Management team is horrible, it’s a revolving door, no proper training, management needs training, no leadership, no guidance.
A great company to work as freelancer
Fair salary and fair time to achieve projects deadlines. Great digital system to support your work anywhere you are. Collaborative work with a team that is always in communication during the process.
Just another corporate enviornment
In the years I worked for the company it went from a great place to work to a bit of a crazy corporate place to work. Work loads got significantly larger, staffs got significantly smaller (my staff went from 27 to 11, and then to 6). THe job you were hired for no longer became the job you had. You would be asked to take on the roles of staff members who had been laid off. Job security was never really possible as people got laid off on a quarterly basis from the first week I started working there. I loved the people I met with working there and i did have some wonderful experiences. But overall the lack of job security and top heavy corp structure would make me think twice about recommending them to a colleague.
New management is lacking
There have been some recent changes at the local level that have many in the newsroom looking for alternatives. There is no longevity to speak of and loyalty by staffers and management seems to be lacking.
I like the working environment and the teams help.
Somebody in the team is always willing to help. You have the chance to work with different teams and choose the one you think is the best fit for you, but be aware that the full stack developers are more welcome.
Toxic
This place has really turned into a horror show. Every decision made is about how a department can trim their budget (layoffs, artificially deflating annual reviews, etc) so managers can get their bonuses.

A good percent of the department just had their position downgraded. They will eventually be replaced by low-payed college grads, and the rest will be replaced by people they are training overseas. They simply don’t care what happens to employees who have been there 15+ years.
Pros
Coworkers are great
Cons
Micromanaging, layoffs, always looking to cut budgets, increasingly crazy hoops to jump through for healthcare, no chance for advancement
It's News, what more can I say?
A typical day can vary from being rather laid back and easy to a hellish nightmare from which you can't wake up. It just depends on how much goes on and how well staffed we are at the time. There's a lot of overtime.
Pros
Different things to do every day, lots of travelling, meet interesting people
Cons
Everything about the local news industry
fun place to work
Very talented staff who work hard to do the best they can. Many creative people that you can learn from all the time. Meredith is willing and able to train you to be the best at your job.
Pros
luches
Cons
declining business
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meredith Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

63%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.