Merichem Employee Reviews

Laid back environment
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
Enjoyed my time working here. Flat hierarchy and truly "open door" policy. There could be more accountability but overall great culture. While there isn't a lot of room to grow; there is plenty of opportunity to learn new skills.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Accountability issues
Good company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 11, 2017
Great place to learn and develop customer service and logistics skills while working with great co-workers, suppliers, and customers. Must be a hard worker to advance to higher level positions.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Heavy workload
Jack-of-all-trades engineering with challenging deadlines and decent benefits
Sr. Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2017
At the time I was at Merichem their business philosophy for the Process Technology Division (PTD) that I was in was to emphasize speed in our client deliverables. A process engineer like me would be responsible for developing the whole FEED package for a proposed caustic or amine treating system based on sales sketches and either Merichem, or more often than not, client specifications. Because of the emphasis on speed there were often late nights and sprints at the sales imposed deadlines that were a constant frustration; especially since the sales people were trying to dazzle the client with our speed rather than work with them to meet their deadlines. We would often break our necks to meet a "deadline" only to have the client wait several months to look at the product. This insane pace stressed many engineers enough to leave the company.
If you could adapt and manage the stress there were many opportunities to travel and interface with clients as a process engineer or you could travel even more as a tech service engineer supporting installed process units or as a sales engineer.
Benefits were OK. Compensation was average with usually a pretty good bonus.
Pros
Lots of learning opprotunities, Lots of travel and client interface
Cons
Work was artificially too fast-paced, Management was very closed-minded
Pleasant with "some" nice workers
Front Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 24, 2016
Enjoyed my position was not micro managed. Position could be fast pace, or slow at some times. Some employees were helpful. Others not so much. Appreciated the new things I learned.
Pros
1/2 day Fridays
Cons
some coworkers with attitude
Great company...needs management change
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2016
Merichem, at its core, is a great company. Senior management needs some changes if the company is going to return to greatness. Decisions are being made for the benefit of individuals instead of the company. No career ladders, minimal raises. You're pretty much stuck where you start.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
No accountability, no career progression
Good Company
Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 17, 2016
Although I was part of a corporate downsizing, it was a very good company work for. Very good pay and benefits, work life balance.
Company has been in business for 70 years
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 30, 2015
Merichem is globally known company as the sulfur treating licensor and technical service supporter within the petroleum refining industry.

I enjoy working working directly with customers to identify the technical challenges and help secure the solution with the company's process. products, and services.
Pros
Good technology with my global applications
Cons
Chicago office to be closed
Very politically minded and ineffective
Research Tech (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2015
I have worked here a very short period of time; however, i have learned the research center is not where i want to be for this company...
A small research facility that provided great opportunities for learning
Research Chemist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2014
Hardest part of the job was the lack of advancement. Roles were too strictly defined and opportunities for growth and advancement were extremely limited.
Co-workers were great!
Most enjoyable part, while it was enjoyable, was having a supervisor that was not a micromanager