Meridian Behavioral Health Employee Reviews in Saint Paul, MN

Poor Management
Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 17, 2019
The program director was a big reason why I left. I enjoyed the workplace and most of the people I worked with but the director was a huge turn off. They also let the clients treat staff inappropriately and did not provide the boundaries that should be required by a facility of this nature.
Recovery Specialist
Custodian -Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 14, 2019
Our primary job is to make sure that all 50 inpatient patients were where they are supposed to be during programming. We would assist them in their day to day activities as needed. Drive them to doctor, dental, court, whenever directed on a daily basis. I learned that there are many many issues patients fight on a daily basis while trying to recover from addiction and mental health issues. Job is so rewarding some days, a bummer other days- we win some, we lose some. Management stands behind us as long as we have the patient and his needs in mind. Hardest part is seeing some people who went through our program pay the ultimate price in not securing their sobriety and pass away due to the disease. Most enjoyable is seeing patients who went through the program and come back years later and sober- no better feeling knowing that we played in part in their lives, but bettering society as a whole.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Very stressful at times.
Satisfied Employee
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 16, 2018
When stepping into the field of addiction, there are going to be significant challenges that arise. Meridian Behavioral Health-Tapestry, is one of those learning opportunities! This facility has amazing employees within, from EVERY department! The director is by far inspirational! The clinical supervisor has a heart of gold that is full of support and always willing to lend a helping hand. This facility offers job security (as we tend to fire ourselves with our actions and behaviors). The benefits that are offered through MBH are satisfying. I believe that if a person is compassionate about their job, then it definitely is displayed by their care to the patients. After all, that is our immediate goal. With all of that we need to practice time management, respect, empathy, BOUNDARIES, stress management, and of course.... Personal time outs. Professionals are also human and it's ok to have bad days, but it does not make the facility a bad place. When you walk into the doors of TAP the feeling of warmth greets you. In time of need, everyone pulls together to make it work, like a family. There's going to be moments of frustrations, feelings of being overwhelmed, and of course disagreements, but that's ok, because everyone still brings special talents to the table. I will not sugar coat anything, but this facility is a fast pace environment and not everyone can keep up, but that's ok, because it's not everyone's cup of tea either. So, rather than solely focusing on the negative, why not look for the positive! This company is great, I LOVE doing what I do and I'm proud  more... to be apart of it. Hopefully, you will come join too! Let's make a difference in the field of recovery!  less
Pros
Support, compensation, benefits, tuition reimbursement, not being micro managed, wonderful meals, understanding, great team, comfortable environment, learning opportunities
Cons
Could use more staff, especially mental health professionals
Unprofessional and Poor Work Culture
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 27, 2018
What A Joke! Management is very unsupportive and I mean if they don’t like you, they don't like you. Employees will frequently talk about you behind your back even if you are a good therapist or counselor. People don’t last long here and quit or are fired. Increase turnover. Poor work culture. Lacks training. Low morale. Very unprofessional and sometimes ethically challenged. Do NOT work here! If you want a healthy and supportive environment.
good place to work great people, lots of opurtunity to advance
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 3, 2017
there are some great people working in the company. There are many opportunities for advancement in this large corporation, Meridian Behavioral Health.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
can be chaotic at times, but thats are field of work
Bad management
LADC (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 6, 2017
Money driven, lacks client care. Management/supervision was rarely available. They were not fair amongst staff and lacked appropriate training. Would not work there
Pros
Ability to move within the company
Cons
Bad management
Run and don't look back!!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 23, 2017
This place is the worst run company!! Incompetent management, program directors yelling at staff, rules changing everyday covered up as policy changes!! Always understaffed, no staff retention, no appreciation!!! And the higher up in management the more corrupt they get!!!
Warning! You will be sorry if you proceed.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMarch 27, 2017
This place will run you crazy with all of the demands, and all they care about is the money. It is impossible to keep up with this insanity! They don't care about anything else but the money. Very neurotic poor management and they care nothing about their employees at all. Co-workers are overworked and angry so they take it out on each other. Clients are unruly, vicious, play games, and threaten staff, but management does nothing to stop it. The positive reviews Im sure are written by managers.
Pros
Pay is decent, but thats a tactic to draw you in
Cons
Too much work, no team cohesiveness, poor work/life balance.
Good enough for me
LADC (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MN, Pine City, MNFebruary 27, 2017
I completed my second internship with Meadow Creek and was offered a position at another site. I have been with Meridian for over a year and have been to three of their residential sites. Each site has its issues but I've enjoyed my time at each. I've worked under three directors. Each earning their title/position. I met life long friends, learned about the field. Meridian is working on more manageable caseloads. I have a 8 patient caseload and run 9 hours of group. This is much better compared to when I started with 12 patients and 10 hours of group. Mon-Fri 8-5 and every 9th Sat run a 2 hour group.

So far I like Meridian, not only would I recommend working for them, I have! My friend from school works with me. Not a perfect company by any means but it pays the bills and I feel appreciated. Definitely glad I took this job when learning how to be a counselor and the field.
Pros
Pays for MARRCH conference, discounted meals, retirement matching, great co-workers.
Cons
Low start pay, high turnover, needs exceptional time management skills
Great company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Paul MNOctober 30, 2016
I have been employed with Meridian Behavioral Health for 6 months. THE staff are amazingly talented and compassionate to one another and to our patients. Top notch clinicians, nurses,np, recovery specialists, maintainacne , kitchen, program assistances, intakes coordinators and housekeepers! Patient care is number one at our facility. The teams I have worked along side with have been patient focused and centered.
Corporate is supportive of innovation and best practices, along with much encouragement. They offer good pay and benefits.
I highly recommend anyone interested in working with the MICD population to research job oppurtunities
within our large MBH company. I love going to work everyday!
Pros
Positive work environment, good teamwork, great benefits and pay
Cons
False accusations on prior reviews
I love my job and the company, dont believe the negative hype!
Direct client care (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 8, 2016
I have worked for Meridian (Tapestry) for three years now and as I have furthered my education and excelled in my job duties I have been promoted three times. I have received competitive raises with my promotions as well.
Senior management has worked extra hard in creating a positive work environment and over the last couple of years they have made some management changes at some of the facilities in order to promote an environment that is focused on client care and is supportive of its' employees. The director at my facility is fairly new but she is incredibly supportive of all the clients and the employees. Tapestry just expanded our facility and we have received amazing support from all of the other facilities in helping us train new employees and providing us with physical help as we acclimate to the larger population. Management from Tapestry and the other facilities have all jumped in and helped us with everything from putting together new furniture to providig direct client care.
The population we work with can be challenging sometimes because the clients are often very broken and sick due to their addiction and it saddens me that former employees that are obviously disgruntled voice their displeasure with the company because they were asked to provide care to these clients, which is the job that they were hired for. Like any company we are sometimes short staffed due to people calling in sick, vacations, etc. but the teamwork that comes together during these times is amazing to be a part of. I love my job, my coworkers, and my boss, but most of
  more... all I love the clients that I have been given the opportunity to work with. Meridian is a great place to work!  less
Pros
Great people, fun to be at work, 4 weeks vacation your first year, good pay, and hard work is noticed and recognized which allows for advancement in the company
Truly horrid
LPN (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 9, 2016
Typical day: walk in early, get report that day shift was crazy, clean up day shift work, admits, pass meds, more admits, eat while hiding from clients, pass more meds, try to finish admits and/or deal with the day's crisis, report. Now do that 12+ shifts a payperiod (keep in mind you get called to come in on your day off frequently) and you have a typical nurse position here.

No teamwork from other staff or sites. Every location is understaffed and overworked. The only people who seem to like it are the ones who are new and don't know better yet, or the counseling staff/management who run out the door at 4:30 and can't be bothered after hours.

There are hundreds of LPN jobs out there that pay around the same. Please don't let this one be your choice as you will very soon regret it!
Pros
$2 meals; overtime galore; helping save lives
Cons
Inconsistent hours, truly dangerous clients (CSC, felony, psychotic with HX of violence)
a nightmare. They need a 0 🌟option for this place.
CD tech (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 30, 2016
This company will take you down fast. They will work you an insane amount of hours and demand more. They treat every employee differently depending on what the lateset crisis is, and there are ALOT of crisis. Counselors and management will leave evey day as soon as they can and will literally bolt for the door on fridays leaving clients and under-trained techs to sink or swim all weekend. They lie to you about almost everything and what isn't a lie is "a chage in policy" after you accept a position.They will fill beds with active psychotic "clients" and when you are threatened with physical violence management will tell you they can't do anything about it " until something happens". There are no ethics, no morals, no concern for you as an employee let alone as a person and most of all there is no therapeutic treatment in even the most basic sense for those seeking help for their addiction. Run fast. Run far. This company is everything wrong with for profit health care.
Pros
You learn what you don't want in a job
Cons
Everything else
Horrible Place to Work!!! Just Horrible!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 10, 2015
They just throw you in and expect you to know it all. I got out fast! You don't want to work here if you have a license. They offer bonus hire packages because the turn over is very high. Four counselors walked out at the same time. The clients are not the focus, the money is. They don't care how much stress you're under, they will keep loading on the work responsibilities. You get hired for one job but end up doing five!!!!

Poor communication! Takes administration and payroll forever to get back to you...if they do! Takes a long time to get that first check. The burnout is felt within the first two weeks and it is the craziest work environment Ive ever been in. I could not sleep. I was having panic attacks. The clients were mean because they had gone through too many counselors.

When you try and leave, they will try and penalize you for unfinished work. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with the demands of this company. UNREALISTIC!! I wish I had read these reviews before I got hired! So glad I quit. The same night I did was he first time I was able to sleep. They treated me like dirt when I left.
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Overworked, unappreciated, non-supportive, demanding, complex, unrealistic work expectations
I feel so bad for the clients seeking help
Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 9, 2015
Good people coming to the program seeking help walk out because the quality of programming isn't there. The potential is there but the focus is on the bottom line of keeping the beds filled. Staff get frustrated and walk out so turn over is high. Not a good work situation. Pay and benefits are good. Everything else could be a lot better. Not a good place to start your career.
Pros
The pay and benefits are good.
Cons
Poor management, unreasonable staff expectations, No work/life balance.
Horrible place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  St. PaulMarch 31, 2015
Meridian only cares about making money and having beds filled. When clients decide they want to leave they are begged to stay for the night until their bed can be filled.
If a client needs to go to the ER, they usually get threatened to be discharged. I have seen many clients go without their psych medication for weeks.
Programming is horrible. Most of the time the groups consist of watching a movie, usually not related to chemical dependency at all. Clients complain about not receiving their treatment plan for weeks after they have admitted.
Communication is a joke. Staff gets reprimanded for being too detailed in emails and passing along information to other staff when it's necessary.
You can expect to walk into chaos pretty much every day of the week.
Tons of transportation issues. Most of the time the clients are the ones telling the staff when they have appointments they need to be at.
Management is power hungry and irrational. Decisions get made without thinking things through.
Clients get left with broken promises for activities/outings.
Expect to receive absolutely no training in regards to your job duties.
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
no breaks, management, no care for the clients
Activities painting,bingo,Arts and Crafts
Chemical health tech (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 10, 2015
Helping others, working as a team player, staying busy, Always no that no one is difference people just have difference issues and can get better the hardest part of the job is seeing a person give up .The most rewarding part is seeing a person making it thought the end and leave with a positive out look on life.
Do not waste your time
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 7, 2014
I work in the field of chemical dependency because I have a passion to help others. Working for Meridian took that passion from me and made me dread coming in to work. They over work you, under pay you, and leave you short staffed. Management is very poor. They see dollar signs over client care.

In the time I was there, the company made promises that they never intended to keep.

Client care is on the back burner. This is NOT treatment.

If you enjoy being lied to, belittled, and feeling like you are replaceable at any time, please apply.

If you have any compassion and want to do what is right for client care, look somewhere else. This is not the company to work for.
Pros
Quitting
Cons
everything
Good learning environment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 5, 2014
productive and fun place to work and a good place to learn in the field of nursing
Challenging and fulfilling work.
Chemical Health Technician (Tech.) (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 15, 2014
Being a Chemical Health Technician, (TECH) is challenging and rewarding. Assisting clients with their personal needs as well as helping them navigate the CD program so they may be exposed to all the program has to offer. The real challenges came when the number of staff on hand was low. It was rewarding to see the positive change in clients as they progressed through the program.
Pros
Direct client contact
Cons
Under-staffed at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meridian Behavioral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight