Meridian Health Plan Employee Reviews

2.8
Ratings breakdown
Great people to work with, not a great company to work for
Meridian Family Member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 8, 2018
Meridian actively promotes from within. Most management staff is under 30, but this is a double edge sword. There are not enough staff with experience to manage the day-to-day and emerging changes in the Health Care Industry. Most people you interact with are great, but it all comes with unrealistic demands, no work-life balance.
Most people will not write reviews for fear of retribution. Executive leadership is poor, at best. Culture used to be strong, but has waned significantly the last few years.
Job security is non existent at best. Meridian is much more what have you done lately. Turn over is high and roles are back filled very slowly.
Pros
Good people, bagel fridays, cultural events
Cons
Leadership and Direction
Adaptability and flexibility is key in succeeding in any position at Meridian
Community Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
Meridian has worked hard to improve the work-life balance since initially starting at the company. At the top of 2018, field employees were switched from salary to hourly and caseload numbers were improved greatly. Meridian is ever-changing in regards to leadership and contractual obligations with the state, so expect change to occur rapidly and at any given time. Mangers and leads seem to shift positions often. This can be hard to adjust to if you are a new employee and still learning the ropes. The company offers some great benefits, such as the 401k plan and PTO. But the medical, dental and vision benefits package is lacking.
Not who they say they are
IT (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 2, 2018
I read all the reviews prior to joining this organization, and thought they may have been from disgruntled employees. However, I found that was not the case, and they were all true!!

As a family owned organization (until the WellCare sale is final), they don't follow the same rules as a publicly traded company. It wasn't uncommon for people to be walked out the door on a regular basis.

On a positive note, the organization puts a lot into family member activities and tries to build a family culture. They would be wildly successful if they put in place a leadership team that echoed that same culture.

On a negative note, professional positions are treated with an hourly mentality. Also, expect the positive to change as the sale to WellCare is expected to close by the end of the year and is a publicly traded company. I suspect the organization to see many changes over the next year...some good, some not.

Buyer beware!
Good place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 30, 2018
very boring work. I feel like I spent a lot of time doing nothing that was actually worth while. I think many places are like this and it os sad. Good Luck!
Pros
business is professional
Don't Recommend Starting a career at this unorganized company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48226July 28, 2018
Very poor management. This company is very unorganized, they claim to be family owned and operated, they also say how much they care about their employees and members when they actually only want to make money and don't care who they rip off. They stopped doing things for their employees /members just so they could take their private planes on personal vacations. Only get promoted depending on who you know, not what you know.
No sense of stability
Community Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60604July 25, 2018
I have never worked for a more unorganized company in my career. There is constant change and no real direct leadership. There is no advancement without kissing up to leadership. There is always a change in management and therefore no one really knows what they are doing. This place is truly not a good company to work for.
work 8 hours a day
QA/ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 12, 2018
meeting every day at 8:30. Learned to communicate with people about testing and get more details about it focusing on SDLC.Manangment is very Great.we have birthdays parties sometimes and we do work serious especially when we have due date.
Member Services
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 25, 2018
I wasn't at Meridian long, but joined at a recommendation from a friend and then colleague. I know multiple people there still and they enjoy it, I personally wasn't a perfect fit for the role I had.
I would recommend additional coaching and exploring similar role interests/fit as a stronger part of their culture, but this may have changed since my time with them.
Pros
culture, team
Cons
coaching
Terrible place to work
Community Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 21, 2018
I worked at this horrible place for 8 months. The mangement is terrible, feels like high school. The moral is low, i would not recommend this place. This company will continue too lose good people. The so called managers/ team leaders are really a joke and hide behind the keyboard...really. They see u in person and smile....but a touch bases is right around the corner. I can't wait until Wellcare take over...lets see how far they go with new leadership in place...Michigan can't save them anymore..Such a joke this place. Please stay away. I wish i would have read the reviews before taking the job.
n/a
Concurrent Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2018
Excellent company to work for and training was extensive. Can be a little stressful, work load changed day by day. Management is easy to work with you.
Lack of management skills
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 16, 2018
The management was a joke, going up for job interviews the positions were filled prior to interviews, which were conducted out of obligation. Managers were young, biased, and felt like high school all over again.
Pros
bagel friday
Cons
lack of any communication
Great Company
Medical Records Data Abstractor (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 9, 2018
Meridian is about helping lower income people receive the best healthcare possible and I believe that is their goal and they do achieve it. Meridian is a great company to work for however the room for advancement is very low and I want to be able to grow in my career. I work from home and usually work at a minimum of 60 hours per week with no overtime compensation. I enjoy my job but it is very repetitive and I am a person that likes to learn new things and grow.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No room or advancement
Horrible Place to Work
Quality (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2018
I would not recommend Meridian Health Plan of Illinois to anyone. Unless you are just out of school (like me) and need a place to work for a year for your resume.
The ratings speak for themselves.
The leadership is poor, the hours are long, pay is horrible and the morale is low.
Pros
Bagel Friday, good benefits, and a fair number of vacation days
Cons
Poor leadership, low wages, and no work life balance
Bad internal culture
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 5, 2018
They have a tendency to fire management every couple of months.They throw hard working people under the bus to make themselves look useful. Have a bad judgment and eye for talent. Nepotism and Favoritism huge in this company .
Pros
Free food, arcade
Cons
Lack of leadership
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 3, 2018
Meridian was a great place to work. They offer great benefits, an arcade, and they have bagels every friday. Overall, I would recommend Meridian as a place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Needs a better work/life balance
Very poor leadership
Utilization Review Nurse (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 29, 2018
Leadership does not listen or lead my example. I've never worked with such leadership that does not assist their team. They only look out for themselves.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Leadership
Bad management
Delivery Lead/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 29, 2018
This place is not good if you have a bad heart. I would not recommend this company as a good place to work. They do not like new ideas. A lot of the big fish in a small pond mentality at this place. Only a few people make decisions for the entire company.

I loved my management chain but they had no say when it came to dismissal of people.

This place is almost like a cult.
Pros
Bagels
Lack of career advancement
Quality (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 24, 2018
Lack of career advancement. Claim during the hiring stage, there is a opportunity for career advancement but there is no room to grow. Only certain people have chances to climb the corporate ladder.
bad management
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 22, 2018
worst possible company to work for. They pick favorites. Employees receive PIPs for no reason. They're too hard on their employees. They dont assign newbies the right sort of work.
Management does not listen
Community Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2018
The management team does not listen to staff and does not address complaints. Lowest pay on the market. High caseloads with little support from management. Few options for advancements. No work life balance.
Pros
Work from home