Meridian Health Plan Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Utilization Management Nurse Educator - RN (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 17, 2019
Great culture - very millennial. Pay is decent for clinical staff but poor for non-clinical staff. Most positions are working long hard hours. They could pay better.
Millennial Land
Behavioral Health Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 8, 2019
They misrepresented themselves and their production line corporate mentality. You are not told until after you're hired that you have to park at JLA and then take the people mover which will add another hour to your day. You are not told that you will be a glorified data entry person and everything is scripted. You are regarded as nothing more than a robot. The culture is 21 year olds with no life experience and no socks. The management are elitists and disconnected. This place sucks!
Pros
Free bagels
Cons
Micromanaged by Millennials
Great location
Clinical Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 9, 2019
Great location for ambiance and environment. Inconsistent expectations, standards, and poor communication from top-down. Continuous process changes without clear goals, strategies, or steps. Company was better off under the previous ownership who had very clear vision and expectation of quality care for members served.
Pros
Bagel fridays
Cons
Bonuses are pathetic, not enough to pay for weekly groceries
Great Place to work for!
Claims Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 31, 2019
This company encourages it's employees to advance and find their niche in the company. No one is held back from advancing and manages constantly reach out to ask what you're interested in shadowing for possible upward mobility.
Pros
Great environment to work in.
Cons
If you work from home you miss out on perks in-house folks receive.
Wonderful place
Member Benefit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 17, 2019
This is a great place to work! The culture is AMAZING! While I was there I met a lot of wonderful people. There is advancement available and the employees are wonderful.
Fun work enviroment
Departmental Trainer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 3, 2019
The culture at Meridian is unbeatable. Everyday the company would have bright fresh ideas to keep the employees engaged. The opportunity to advance is always possible.
Meridian Health Plan
Pharmacy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 13, 2018
Meridian Health Plan was a good company to work for if you were just out of school. It was extremely busy and you had to learn a lot in a very short amount of time. Most of the teams were very young so everyone was leaning together. It was like being part of a startup company with all the fresh new departments that were created.
customer experience is the worst
MEMBER BENEFIT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 30, 2018
You are micromanaged via WFM. They tell you when you take your breaks and lunches, and if you are even a minute late, it counts against you. If it happens enough you will be put on "probation." You have no autonomy to work and they do not do a very thorough job with updates (there are always a ton of changes, but they always leave out important information that is crucial) I had worked there long enough to know what kinds of questions to ask, but some of the team leads were very incompetent. If they don't know the answer (which was fine by me) they said they would ask around and get back to you, but they never would. The department overall is poorly managed. The director is superficial, young, and inexperienced. Don't even think that working hard will get you promoted, because there, it's all about who you know and suck up to. If your review is bad enough you may be required to work a holiday. For a health insurance company, the food they always have (bagel Friday, or pizza and doughnuts occasionally) are really unhealthy, you'd think they would try to offer better options.

Basically you work in a call center answering phones all day from providers and members, and your computer also automatically calls out to people for you when you are not on a call, so that is always a surprise.

you have expectations that sometimes don't make sense, as far as when your calls get audited. Auditors are also inconsistent for rating calls. Some let you off easier than others.

Pros:
the starting pay is $17 an hour.
you become knowledgeable about health insurance enough to
  more... navigate your own
some of the people are okay to work with

Cons:
everything above, listed up to the "pros."
lack of structure and consistency
the office politics and people acting like they are in high school
city taxes (even if you don't live in Detroit)
Other departments just shove things on us and we get zero credibility for it
trying to talk to provider services is a joke.. They will not help you find more providers and they will not reach out to providers re: provider contract reeducation.
a lot of providers are angry with you, and the members are yelling a lot of the time
They want you to have a degree to answer phone calls, seems pointless.
You have to pay for parking and it's not even in the same building.
Frat lifestyle
Administrative Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 24, 2018
This place is fun at first, then you find yourself wrapped up in the partying frat lifestyle due to free entry to bars and free drinks and food, it is highly encouraged to go to events to “mingle”. The free T-shirt’s are great and all until your drawers are packed. It’s a con for young college students who are entering the job force.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor management
No growth opportunities
DATA ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 11, 2018
Not a lot of growth opportunity
Unless you were in cahoots with senior management.
Good 401k match
Really good culture -lots of activities

Poor pay for job
review
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 17, 2018
Coworkers is what makes meridian. We are currently being merged with another company therefore we do not know the outcome or status of our jobs. Time will tell.
Pros
outside lunch
Great people to work with, not a great company to work for
Meridian Family Member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 8, 2018
Meridian actively promotes from within. Most management staff is under 30, but this is a double edge sword. There are not enough staff with experience to manage the day-to-day and emerging changes in the Health Care Industry. Most people you interact with are great, but it all comes with unrealistic demands, no work-life balance.
Most people will not write reviews for fear of retribution. Executive leadership is poor, at best. Culture used to be strong, but has waned significantly the last few years.
Job security is non existent at best. Meridian is much more what have you done lately. Turn over is high and roles are back filled very slowly.
Pros
Good people, bagel fridays, cultural events
Cons
Leadership and Direction
Adaptability and flexibility is key in succeeding in any position at Meridian
Community Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
Meridian has worked hard to improve the work-life balance since initially starting at the company. At the top of 2018, field employees were switched from salary to hourly and caseload numbers were improved greatly. Meridian is ever-changing in regards to leadership and contractual obligations with the state, so expect change to occur rapidly and at any given time. Mangers and leads seem to shift positions often. This can be hard to adjust to if you are a new employee and still learning the ropes. The company offers some great benefits, such as the 401k plan and PTO. But the medical, dental and vision benefits package is lacking.
Not who they say they are
IT (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 2, 2018
I read all the reviews prior to joining this organization, and thought they may have been from disgruntled employees. However, I found that was not the case, and they were all true!!

As a family owned organization (until the WellCare sale is final), they don't follow the same rules as a publicly traded company. It wasn't uncommon for people to be walked out the door on a regular basis.

On a positive note, the organization puts a lot into family member activities and tries to build a family culture. They would be wildly successful if they put in place a leadership team that echoed that same culture.

On a negative note, professional positions are treated with an hourly mentality. Also, expect the positive to change as the sale to WellCare is expected to close by the end of the year and is a publicly traded company. I suspect the organization to see many changes over the next year...some good, some not.

Buyer beware!
Good place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 30, 2018
very boring work. I feel like I spent a lot of time doing nothing that was actually worth while. I think many places are like this and it os sad. Good Luck!
Pros
business is professional
Don't Recommend Starting a career at this unorganized company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48226July 28, 2018
Very poor management. This company is very unorganized, they claim to be family owned and operated, they also say how much they care about their employees and members when they actually only want to make money and don't care who they rip off. They stopped doing things for their employees /members just so they could take their private planes on personal vacations. Only get promoted depending on who you know, not what you know.
No sense of stability
Community Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60604July 25, 2018
I have never worked for a more unorganized company in my career. There is constant change and no real direct leadership. There is no advancement without kissing up to leadership. There is always a change in management and therefore no one really knows what they are doing. This place is truly not a good company to work for.
work 8 hours a day
QA/ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 12, 2018
meeting every day at 8:30. Learned to communicate with people about testing and get more details about it focusing on SDLC.Manangment is very Great.we have birthdays parties sometimes and we do work serious especially when we have due date.
Member Services
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 25, 2018
I wasn't at Meridian long, but joined at a recommendation from a friend and then colleague. I know multiple people there still and they enjoy it, I personally wasn't a perfect fit for the role I had.
I would recommend additional coaching and exploring similar role interests/fit as a stronger part of their culture, but this may have changed since my time with them.
Pros
culture, team
Cons
coaching
Terrible place to work
Community Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 21, 2018
I worked at this horrible place for 8 months. The mangement is terrible, feels like high school. The moral is low, i would not recommend this place. This company will continue too lose good people. The so called managers/ team leaders are really a joke and hide behind the keyboard...really. They see u in person and smile....but a touch bases is right around the corner. I can't wait until Wellcare take over...lets see how far they go with new leadership in place...Michigan can't save them anymore..Such a joke this place. Please stay away. I wish i would have read the reviews before taking the job.