MERIDIAN HEALTH SERVICES Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 10, 2018
Work/Life balance: You will be forced to work a lot of time "off the clock" to meet the unrealistic expectations.
were. Bonuses were discontinued, "off the clock" time expected. Insurance is poor. You will be forced to see doctors that you work with on a day to day basis unless you want to pay out of network rates. Many of the clients have better income than Meridian staff.

Job Security/Advancement: Not unless you know someone. Turn over is high. Little security. The viewpoint is that you are totally expendable.

Management: Emphasis is on making money not care for client. No concerns for employee other than making sure the employee is making money. 5 managers in a department of approximately 20 employees and 400 clients. 4 of these managers sole responsibility is auditing to ensure case managers are making money. You are allowed to talk to the 1 manager about client concerns for 1 hour per month. Management makes a percentage of your bonuses. No support. No training. Just long lectures to bill more. Expectation is 100% and will be written up if you do not hit it. No consideration for no calls, length of travel (your vehicle, your insurance), inclimate weather, etc. Managers are non-responsive to staff and passive aggressive.Expectations are unreachable.Huge amount of paperwork, most expected off the clock. Managers are untrustworthy. Managers do not provide training.You are cut loose after a couple hours of job shadowing with formal training non-existent.Minimal training is available on-line but will hinder your ability to meet billing. On-line training has minimal to
  more... do with client care and is more administrative policy oriented.

Co-workers are caring individuals. However you only see them during meetings as we are instructed to do our work from free wi-fi and not the office. We are instructed not to socialize on company time. Co-workers do the best they can to help each others.
Pros
Seeing clients make progress
Cons
Expectations on making company money, poor management, poor training, poor pay
Behavior Clinician
Behavior Clinician (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INOctober 2, 2018
Flexible work schedules, able to work remotely. This job is mostly fieldwork and lots of time spent in homes and schools working with children and families. It is important to be creative in assisting with new skills.
Emphasis on productivity
Residential Behavior Technician / Clinician (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 25, 2018
Can be meaningful work due to the nature of the field. The company expects more billing time than is possible with this population. Company more interested in billing than helping individuals with behavior modification. Indirectly keeps clients dependent on services. Success not the main vision for its clients.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Hostile Work Environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INSeptember 23, 2018
The facility in Richmond Indiana is a trainwreck. Do not work there! It's extremely mismanaged. All they care about is filling beds. The building has bedbugs. Its like working in a prison. Management does not care about their employees. They can not keep staff.
Not recommended
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MISeptember 19, 2018
I wouldn't recommend that anybody works at MHS. The culture is terrible, the management is terrible, nobody is happy, policies/procedures are not followed by 80% of the staff, there are no repercussions, and the pay sucks!
Good for a starting clinician
Prior substance abuse counselor (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MISeptember 7, 2018
As a starting clinician, it was a good place to work as far as getting great experience and getting to run different groups. I enjoyed the flexibility of being able to discuss various topics on recovery and I learned a lot at this job. My main issue with the company was unequal number of paid days off for clinicians. I worked a Tuesday - Saturday schedule and did not get most holidays off since most holidays fell on a Monday while I worked there. I wrote a letter to upper management and still was not granted the same number of paid time off as Monday - Friday clinicians, which didn't sit well with me. I did appreciate the benefits received, getting regular supervision and I liked the team I worked with. Overall, the job was good but the some of the policies were borderline unethical. I left on my own terms because I didn't feel I was being treated fairly.
Pros
Benefits, pay not bad, supervision
Cons
Scheduling, policies
Poor management
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 31, 2018
Meridian will hire anybody for a management position. The will choose friends over someone who actually has a degree for the qualifying position.

They have a high turn over rate.

If you complain about a manager you put a target on your back.

They say they are family friendly community service company but if you don't make them money they will release you.
Pros
co-workers are great
Cons
upper management suck
Case Manager
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaAugust 27, 2018
The amount of work you have to do compared to the amount you get paid is not with it. The notes are horrible. The only good part is the other case managers. Some of the managers are alright. Healthcare is expensive and isn't very good. Mileage is better then nothing. Can't move up. There is no raises. Client's cancel a lot. Hard to make productive.
Pros
co-workers, vision insurance
Cons
healthcare, wages, no raises
work staff
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bricktown, NJAugust 9, 2018
working on a PCCU, can be unpredictable, between preparing patient for cardiac cath to the patient with chf.
I have learned that you can always learn something new from other staff members.
the hardest part of the job is the patient to nurse ratio.
Pros
the team memebers that i work with
Cons
staffing ratio nurse per patient.
Poorly Managed, No Incentives to Stay, Disloyal Company
Support Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 1, 2018
I worked for the primary care center in Muncie as a staff support technician (aka a receptionist). The hours and my coworkers were the only things that made the position worthwhile.

I did not trust management, who seemed to prefer employees that ran to them over everything and anything over those that were there to work.

There were no pay raises given unless there was a a sudden exit of multiple people from the same position - if this occurred, the individuals in that position may get a raise, but no one else.

Pay was inadequate and generally $3 below the average for the same position elsewhere. If you are sick, need to see the doctor, etc you have to use your PTO because you're not allowed to have less than 40 hours on your paycheck. If you do, you are written up if you don't have PTO to cover.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, free lunches from reps, Mon thru Fri hours 8 - 5
Cons
Expensive benefit package, inadequate pay, no pay increases
Probably the worst job I’ve ever had
Behavior Clinician (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 30, 2018
All they care about is productivity. The spend all their time training you on how to use the computer but ZERO time on how to actually do your job. They expect you to fill time with a child doing all these tasks but don’t bother telling you the tasks you should do! Your own supervisor doesn’t even bother learning the names of its employees and constantly calls people the wrong name
Cons
You will be treated and spoken to like you are an idiot.
Great place for new clinicians to work
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIJuly 28, 2018
Most clinicians do not get to start out with full benefits and a guaranteed paid 40 hours per week but Meridian provides this. I would recommend this place to work but you must be able to work fast paced as this is a very fast paced job
Pros
Management pay good work hours good colleagues
Cons
Pay
stressful with almost no room for advancement
Behavioral Clinician (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 12, 2018
High-stress position with too much documentation required. Enjoyed working with clients and co-workers. There were no raises given and almost no room for advancement.
Low pay and expensive benefits
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJune 25, 2018
Pay is low and if you have a family then half your check will pay for your benefits. There is minimal chance for advancement and hasn't been a raise in years. Beyond the direct boss, the upper management is so out of touch with what's going on that they think adding on to your work load is the answer to the problem and recently took away vacation time.
Needs home office to take control of outlying facilities
Behavioral Clinician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2018
Home office runs like clockwork. Remote locations run by rules in direct conflict of orientation. Management is not there to help those served but to tear down employees. At our location, the only one known, everyone has lost keys and cannot work the hours needed or have access to tools to do the job. Management says nobody under management can be trusted to work in the building alone. They took everyone's keys away and said nobody is or will be trusted until they get promoted to a position that matters.

Corporate office never comes to visit or see how the place runs. The support staff that now has to answer the door for the 30 employees without keys is not nice and hates everytime someone comes to the office to work. We were all told to work at home and not come to the office.

This company has great values and mission but has lost its way. It allows its managers to run the place so there is a huge turnover but nobody has ever asked other employees why. only 2%-5% of hires stay.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Management, Healthcare, putting people down, never meeting our boss because we are below her
Very "clique-y", poor management
Former Staff (Former Employee) –  WaterfordMay 24, 2018
The program itself is great for clients. The pay and benefits are better than most places but I feel as this is done to make up for the unorganized and poorly managed facility. As a former employee, many times managers would disregard staff's needs. I witnessed on several occasions, supervisors and managers often neglected to get the full story from all involved when an issue arises. One supervisor lacked leadership and instead of guiding the staff under her, she avoided it while criticizing staff. I also witness management having clients sleep on cots in hallways to "fit more clients in". This place is clearly not in it to make a difference for those struggling with addictions.
Pros
Benefits, cleaning ladies
Cons
Scheduling, management, organization
Flexible schedule
Behavior Clinician Technician (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 20, 2018
Good company to work for, I feel it is a little hard for career advancement unless you go back to school. The pay was decent but not enough for the job we had to perform.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Work late hours.
Stressful
Behavioral Clinician (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INApril 19, 2018
My position as a behavioral clinician was stressful and challenging due to the multiple layers that I had to go through in order to work with a child/client who was in the foster care system and in need of services. Some of those layers were: DCS, supervisors, foster care agency, foster parents, principals, school office staff, social workers and other social services workers at the school, the teacher and the child/client. I did not feel completely supported by my immediate supervisors or the school staff.
Pros
Working with children in need.
Cons
Too many layers to work through and too many supervisors.
Hard place to work
FAMILY PHYSICIAN (Former Employee) –  Rushville, IN 46173April 4, 2018
Generally seeing patients who do not really care about their health. A lot of drug seeking behavior. No bonus structure in place. Restricted ability to moonlight for extra money.
Cons
Low pay, long hours
Would not recommend
Behavioral clinician (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 30, 2018
Would not recommend this organization to anyone who wants to get in this line of work. The job itself requires some type of degree, whether it be a bachelors or associates, but offers pay that does not match the credentials required. Management is run well, and does a great job of creating a more personal relationship, but can only do so much as the higher up individuals do not seem to help.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low salary, no room for career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MERIDIAN HEALTH SERVICES. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9