Merola Tile
Happiness rating is 51 out of 100

Working at Merola Tile: 42 Reviews

United States42 reviews

opportunitycompanypaymanagementpeoplegreatjobwork

Not bad work-wise, extremely toxic culture and management

I started out LOVING this job. Yeah it was a bit physically demanding, and when it gets hot it gets HOT (in the summer it can get up to 96 degrees in the warehouse, there is NO A/C) but I enjoyed it. Everyone seemed friendly and willing to help me learn. After a couple of months that completely changed. Everyone is extremely petty. No matter what you do, how nice you are, people WILL talk about you behind your back, and management doesn't care unless it directly affects them. Speaking of management, they're some of the most stubborn people I've ever worked with. I wanted to change my schedule at one point so I could get home at a reasonable hour (I lived an hour away at the time), and it was an absolute nightmare that took months of back and forth and fighting. If they hire you for a certain time, you're locked into that time for good. Zero flexibility. If you clock in 30 seconds late, you get in trouble. If you dare to clock out for lunch 30 seconds early, you get in trouble. If you clock out for lunch 30 seconds LATE, you get in trouble. The work itself isn't bad, and it can genuinely be enjoyable, but the majority of the people and management made it awful in the last few months I worked there. They do not care about you as a person, they just want you to pump out work nonstop. They'll tell you that they care, and that they don't want to lose anybody, but I've seen several people (managers included!) be fired on the spot or walk out midday due to managements stubbornness.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

no AC in the summer & no heat in the winter, no schedule flexibility, toxic environment

Beware of Management

New upper management has driven out the fun warm company culture Merola used to be, and created a toxic environment, causing divide against teams, assigning blame instead of being accountable, shows no appreciation towards employees for last minute requests, and doesn’t trust or value their staff. More than half of the marketing team has left within the past year, due to the lack of respect and gaslighting of new management. One person can make a difference, and that person has in every negative way possible. Hands down, the most unprofessional job I’ve ever had.

Pros

Free fruit, coffee and veges. Also, the most genuine hard-working people I’ve worked with

Cons

Unfair pay. Office politics

Merola Tile insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Inclusive work environment

No direction

No direction given and not much training on what to expect or how to exceed. It’s a throw into the fire type training program which doesn’t work for everyone

Not good

This used to be a great place to work but has gone downhill in the last two years. The culture is extremely toxic. I would not recommend working here.

The culture is gone

The culture is gone, very different company from 4 years ago. New leadership would rather gaslight and terminate employees then continue to cultivate and grow the amazing team of individuals that the CEO hired. This is why there’s 10+ positions open more than 6 months. Retention in the last year and a half has been a nightmare a direct result of new leadership.

It was great at the beginning, went down hill quick.

If I had to rate my job in 2020 it was a 5/5 best experience. I met some great people and the whole company seemed to be moving in the right direction. However that all changed. At first it was slow and insignificant. But then upper management made some decisions I strongly disagreed with. The straw that broke the camels back was how they treated some people who put their two week notice in. It was truly upsetting as some of them were there for a while and practically disgraced. My former department lead was in that situation and it soured the view of the company. Also the upper management can sometimes be absolutely, and willingly, ignorant of the multitude of day-to-day problems. They wont care until it effects them, or if they have nothing better to do that day they'll actually try to do something. Though, if that something was productive was 20/80 chance. Overall the place helped me grow as a person, and I thank them for that. But the warehouse has fell so far from when I started.

Pros

Snacks in the breakroom (pizza on Wednesdays), Decent pay, Not a terribly difficult job

Cons

upper management, blatant lies, communication

This is a great place to work. What you put in is what you get. There is a great culture and a lot of opportunity to grow and develop.

Pros

challenging work, great culture, new opportunities

Chaotic environment. The only constant at Marolatile is change.

Marolatile treats employees poorly. Low salaries, poor work/life balance, poor management. There is no real onboarding or training program and top down communication is poor.

Pros

Stabile hours, 5 day work weeks

Cons

Unpaid lunch. Salary employees don’t get OT and don’t get paid for time off.

Worst than working for a cooperate office

Worst place by far to work. Don’t let their “positive” act fool you, it doesn’t last long. Be prepared to be taken advantage of, they are big on that. Don’t go above what your job description is, it will go unnoticed and they will expect more than what you put out.

Great Company Culture

Team is great and very friendly, they care about your career and try to help out the most they can. They notice when you work hard and appreciate you as a team member.

Pros

Free Lunches multiple days a week

Cons

Very hot during summer in warehouse

Great People-Great Culture-Great Company!

Very warm and inviting company culture; incredible sense of collaboration between departments-everybody in Manalapan works together to ensure the company's success, and quarterly bonuses are paid to every employee when the company does succeed. Upper management listens to the worker's concerns and actually makes changes based on worker's feedback. Very strong "family" feel; hardest working but happiest people I've ever worked with. People are great, very friendly and company is growing at a very fast pace, so opportunities for advancement abound!

Pros

Free coffee, fruit, snacks, and lunch at least once a week!

Cons

Only Whole milk for coffee-no Almond Milk-lol

Great Opportunities!!

Great environment with very friendly people! Lots of opportunity to advance within the company. Premium pay for warehouse work in this area. John Merola doesn't just own the company, he cares very deeply for it as well! Fun company events and raffles for prizes at company meetings. At least one free lunch every week!

Pros

good pay, friendly environment, great management, great opportunities

Cons

hot in the summer

Clueless I wish I could give them a negative rating

Bad management poor culture practice what you preach ***fundamentals are a joke if only upper management followed their own rules and stop with the UTO why give us any if we can't use

Cons

Managers. PTO

over worked and underpaid

this job sucks, don't bother unless you need something to just hold you over until the next one. free fruit is the only plus. underpaid, under valued, and over worked. strict no late and don't get sick policy, not respectful about weather and emergencies. The same job I was hired for has been available for 5+ years now on here. Either people don't stick or they are doing employment fishing.

Pros

free fruit andf free coffee

Cons

everything

Best Company I’ve ever worked for.

The company has a strong positive culture. The base of our culture is our Fundamentals. These are the rules we live and work by. Everyone from our CEO to the front line staff practices them every day.We have grown from 40 people in 2016 to over 107 in 2020. We are growing Ike crazy and everyone received 2 week performance bonus’s this year due to our efforts. The company also gave an extra week of pay for the Holidays. Leadership works hard every day to help us be a Top Workplace.

Pros

The people, the culture and the opportunities.

Cons

Company paid lunch twice per week.

NJ Best - Top Workplace 2019 & 2020

The leadership at Merola Tile is dedicated to the staff. They come to work everyday to find and think of ways to support and develop their teams. Super friendly family environment. So many opportunities for promotion and to learn new skills. Thru COVID they have been buying lunch every day for much of the staff to support local restaurants.. This place cares and it shows.

Pros

Supportive Leadership

Cons

Poor attitudes don't apply- you wont make it.

Best job Ive ever had

Everyone is friendly, leadership team cares and value your opinions. During COVID the company has gone above and beyond to make sure employees feel safe and comfortable. This is not a new thing. I work on a great team and everyone is trying to help each other everyday.

Pros

Free lunches, great company culture

Cons

Benefits could be better

They Treat you like DIRT!

Horrible place they call themselves a family business but will treat you like you aren’t. They are one of the worst places I’ve ever worked at. Disgusting.

Owner

I will admit that he was one of the best bosses I've had to work with. He helped his workers achieve high talents. If didn't relocate I would still be there.

Business continues to grow

Fast pack works, nice people, good fundamental culture, free pizza every Wednesday. Lot of opportunities over there. Good Christmas party each year.

Great Company to Grow With

An amazing place to work for with a great work culture. Management really makes an effort to make sure that their teams feel valued and appreciated while also challenging them. All colleagues are respected equally amongst each other and everyone is effortlessly willing to help one another. Working here will definitely enhance your skills and challenge you in different ways. Many opportunities for growth.

Pros

Great management and team, benefits/incentives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merola Tile. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits