Merrill Gardens Employee Reviews

Featured review
Merrill Gardens selected this as a representative review
A Rewarding Job
Staffing Coordinator/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAJune 11, 2018
This job feels like a rewarding place to work. Staff makes a very real impact on the lives of approximately 200 elderly residents. The management makes an effort to make sure that staff feels valued.
We Care About Our Residents and Each Other!
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 22, 2019
The Mission is: to provide an inspiring environment for our residents, families and team members where every life is defined by the possibilities. From the Corporate Offices in Seattle to our 30 Communities throughout the Country, we really care about our Residents and each other, and it shows!
Pros
Excellent benefits, great group of people, you know you are making a difference.
Cons
Not a lot of flexibility with schedule & working remotely.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Activities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CAMay 21, 2019
clocking out and going home and know traffic to fight going home on the 4 freeway sometime could be challenging after a long day. Glad bart now comes to the area.
Physically demanding
Server (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 11, 2019
You'll never work so hard for minimum wage. Feeling like you are valuable to the residents is emotionally rewarding but very physically taxing. It is a JOB, not a career. Attracts teens and older people with limited other options.
Pros
Free food, healthcare options for full time employees
Cons
Even your manager(s) will gossip about you then be "shocked" that you don't appreciate it, (and you WILL hear about it)., minimum wage for a lot of hard work.
Fun and busy work place
Server (Former Employee) –  New River, AZMay 10, 2019
I enjoyed my time at Merrill Gardens. The only downside was that I wasn't allowed tips which is understandable. You get to hang out with some great people and sometimes it didn't feel like work.
Pros
Free food on shift
Cons
no tips
wait staff/cook
Wait Staff- Cook (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 24, 2019
A typical day at work was making sure the residents nutritional needs where met. Started off as wait staff but became a cook after a few month for the pay increase. The resident assistants, nurses, other wait staff and residents always enjoyed seeing one another on a daily basis. It was always a fun atmosphere
Merrill Gardens operates apartment facilities for elderly care.
Staff Accountant II - Cash Flow Management (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 23, 2019
Merrill Gardens had a friendly enough working environment, but their compensation and benefits were lacking.

Work-life balance was also not the best I've experienced with periodic mandatory weekend work days and an expectation from management of a minimum 50 hr work week.
Poorly Managed
Staff (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCApril 16, 2019
What I did like about the job was working closely with the residents as well as my coworkers. However, the overall company seems to have its morals backwards, putting more value into solely money rather than caring for the residents and ensuring they get what they pay for. When the corporate employees came to visit the community they didn't introduce themselves to hardly any staff, nor did they address the residents. BIG disappointment. To be honest and fair, the pay was adequate and Merrill Gardens offers great benefits. The upper management is just awful and it made for an unpleasant work environment.
Pros
free lunches, fair pay, residents are uplifting, coworkers
Cons
upper management, general manager, no housekeeping
ok place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZApril 8, 2019
Expectations are high. Work many hours. hardest part of job is they don't keep employees quit often . To much time to replace so working with a lot of help is expected.
A mess
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, ALMarch 16, 2019
It’s good to have a job , but once you find something stable leave Merrill Gardens . The patients receive awful meals , same things for breakfast. Most of the patients are total care and can’t go to bathroom without having a diaper change . Better off staying in nursing home environment. The managers are terrible , the don’t speak basically it’s like you’re a slave walking up to the big plantation. Yes walking because you can’t park in parking lot . Park pass dunkins donut. At Merrill gardens you will be activities, the , cook , and housekeeper, and nanny. For very little pay. The manager in the small house . Well , she full of it whenever she’s there . She has any clue about her staff nor the patients. What looks good on the outside is terrible on the inside.
Pros
Hopefully you’ll meet someone there that can get you by the day.
Cons
Everything about the place
Nice to work with
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 3, 2019
It's nice to work for this company. Moderate benefit package. Nice summer work schedule as they provide half-day work on every after Friday. Summer activities. Fund raising drive.
Productive temporary place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 28, 2019
The job is a good place to work temporarily pay is above 10.00/hourly and less than 11.00/hourly you can do the math . Annual raises are not guaranteed but as I said before it’s a good place to work temporarily
Pros
Employee Referrals
Fun at first but then not so much. Not a great job.
Server (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 24, 2019
I worked over a year and it’s a very exhausting job. Always short staff, supervisors/leaders can’t do their job so management sucks. People always quitting , fired or no shows. Making more work for employees when already tired and ppl working 12 hr days. The job in general as a server sucks. You can’t get promoted, low pay, exhausting job, and nobody can work together to help each other out, some people think their new boss and think they don’t have to work as hard. I don’t recommend working for the Ballard location.
Pros
Loved getting to know the people and try different cultural types of foods on the job
Cons
Management sucks. Not many team players. Short staff, low pay, can’t get promoted
Decent job
WAITRESS (Former Employee) –  Queen Anne, WAJanuary 30, 2019
Nice employee atmosphere, good hours, flexible schedule, great residents. Management was under trained and seemingly unqualified to preform essential tasks for things to run smoothly.
Was a fun place to work
Dishwasher, Food Prep, Server, Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 24, 2019
Sadly, the business was bought out by Gonzaga for housing but it was a really fun place to work: stressful at times but fun. There was a lot to learn from this place. Once again, I got really lucky with my coworkers. I enjoyed them all, including the executive chef.
Pros
Taught me how to think positive at stressful times
Cons
Was stressful at times
great place to work
Memory Care Manager/ Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAJanuary 15, 2019
Great employees, great location,heavy load, poor management ,enjoyed working with residents, no tuition reimbursement. employee never felt valued, a lot of favoritism . Great Nurses who cared for the residents and great caregiver hardworking
Pros
great location
Cons
Too much micro management
Great co workers and residents
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 13, 2019
Pro's - Good work environmet, great co workers, forged great relationships with the residents.

Cons - little to no opportunity for advancement, no internal training
Not a great work environment
Active Living Program Director (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 10, 2019
Don't waste your time here. The management is terrible, scream in your face and swear at you. It's not worth it. When you ask upper management for assistance with the behavior, you are told that there is nothing they can do.
Pros
The residents are nice (for the most part)
Anything, but not in the kitchen
Cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 26, 2018
It's always the kitchen. The kitchen is unlike any other department. The other departments have it made, with their cushy offices and high salaries, always taking holidays off. It's always the kitchen where things are the most difficult. Short handed, rude superiors, condescending, belittling, inappropriate joking, cramped quarters, confusion. Not a fun place. Indifference by management, failure to implement team building. Instead, it's subtle insults and belittling that destroy morale. I thought Merrill Gardens was different, better than the rest, but I see its the same thing every where I go. It sucks when you dread going to work when you think, what will they say next that is insulting or what will they be micromanaging me on this time. Very uncomfortable work environment. I regret now choosing culinary arts as a career, I should have stayed with mechanics or computers, administration.
To the managers, I say, Try working in the kitchen for a week to see the difference between day and night, the completely different attitudes and stress levels absent from the nice cushy office jobs where everybody is happy. Try actually doing some real, actual work and then see how you feel as opposed to just reciting mission statements and policies.
Pros
Good pay, benefits after a while, underground parking, nice residents, clean building
Cons
Condescending superiors, inappropriate joking, scheduling uncertainty, micromanaging, belittling
Horrible Place To Work, Basically A Janitor
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZDecember 23, 2018
Terrible place to work. Serving is a small part of what you do. Mostly cleaning up the kitchen, sweeping, mopping, taking out trash, wiping walls, cleaning drains, and prepping food. There never seems to be a dishwasher, so us servers have to do it. No tips allowed either, so you do the same type of serving you would at a restaurant with no gratuity. They will threaten to write you up for things beyond your control. Some people there are awesome, some people there are immature and unprofessional. I was harassed and bullied by a cook there for weeks on end. Its's almost like being in high school all over again. But the residents are wonderful, and the relationships I've built with them are amazing, they are the reason I haven't packed my bags and quit the place yet.
Pros
Residents, free food
Cons
Unprofessional co-workers, no tips, never a dishwasher, always threatened by bosses
Awful Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WADecember 21, 2018
They don't care about you and they will not help you. They don't train and the boss sexually harrasses everybody, and the upper management does nothing about it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merrill Gardens. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight