Merritt Clubs Employee Reviews

Everything is Terrible
Swim Instructor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDAugust 14, 2019
The Aquatics Director at the White Marsh pool is a joke. She has no idea what she is doing, will ask for your availability to work and then schedule you for the days you specifically asked off.
None of the Merritt pools follow MD law when it comes to closing the pools due to fecal matter.
The guards and deck managers end up working an average of 8+ hours a day with zero breaks.
If anything goes wrong at Merritt the employees lowest on the totem pole get blamed. No one asks what happened, the managers only believe the patrons, and will always yell at and punish their employees.
Merritt is a terrible place to work! I do not recommend it to anyone!
Minorities
Barista/bartender (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 28, 2019
Not the place for minorities. They fire you or annoy you until you quit . Poor management in the cafe. Tip culture is frowned upon In the cafe.. but the pool ppl get all the tips
Exiciting and fun atmosphere
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MD 21117July 18, 2019
I thouroughly enjoy my work experience at Merritt Clubs. The positive club culture and member interactions are valuable and informative. I'm looking to expand on my skill set and bring my physical therapy assistant degree knowledge and merge it with my current personal training skills to bring a more diverse training experience..
Merritt is a fun time
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Eldersburg, MDJuly 1, 2019
I enjoy merrit but it is a difficult task to manage groups of kids. It is a redeeming yet difficult endeavor. I do not recommend merritt to my friends.
Productive and fun atmosphere
Welcome Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  White Marsh, MDMay 4, 2019
Merritt is a great part time job for students, teachers and stay at home parents. They offer quarterly training and free CPR training. The have deciet benefits for individuals working full time. They also do staff and customer appreciation days, weeks and parties. Great place for a new fitness trainer too because they help guide you to advancement in the area of fitness and wellness.
Pros
Discounts in merchandise fun atmosphere
Cons
Pay, can be hectic in the summer
Excellent Training
Personal Trainer/Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 17, 2019
There is no room for job growth at the Merritt. I've been a personal trainer for years and they really didn't take my experience as a helping tool for the club.
Pros
close to home
Great Place to Work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2019
I've worked here for a while, and I think it's a great place to work. The atmosphere is upbeat, and the people are great! If you're looking for part time work, Merritt is great to pick up a few hours a week doing a few classes.
Pros
flexible schedule, pay is decent
Fun place to work. Big family
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 27, 2019
It was nice working there my direct boss was kind of sick but besides that everything was nice. The free membership was a big plus. Even if you work there part time you got a membership
Kidzone: Fun Place to Work
Kidzone Associate (Current Employee) –  White Marsh, MDJanuary 8, 2019
I worked in the Kidzone at Merritt Clubs in White Marsh. I enjoyed playing with kids for four hours a day, made friends with many kids over the years. One of the best jobs I've had.
Don't bother trying here unless you have friends in high places.
Entry Level Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 7, 2019
Very Clique-ey. Some employees get whatever they want, the rest get boo boo. I've seen some employees get every last lead and the rest get nothing but minimal paid hours. Have a good paying 2nd job before you try here.
Merritt Clubs
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Eldersburg, MDAugust 13, 2018
Enjoy the work culture here at Merritt. The staff is very friendly and management is very good. They listen to your concerns and like to make sure, you as a person, are doing alright.
The most enjoyable part of my job
Manager On Duty/ Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 26, 2018
I enjoy my job because of my members whether they put a smile on my face or I put one on theirs; it is always exciting. They help me enjoy my job every time i walk in. I would like to have a job which challenges me more to learn and have advancement opportunities however, I stay full time or part time because they make me happy.
fun
Kids Zone associate/ Coordinator (Current Employee) –  kids zoneMay 17, 2018
It is a fun environment. Some employees are treated differently. Work can be stressful, but well supportive from management.
Everyone works together. ******************************************
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
sometimes there is gossipe, and others due the minal work
Loved the work I did here!
Personal Trainer/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 15, 2018
I loved my time spent at Merritt. Flexibility in making your own schedule was awesome.

I was on a 60/40 commission split for 2 years and that wasn't bad, however new management came in and adjusted all splits to 50/50.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Pay Decrease
Great Company
Lifestyle Consultant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 24, 2018
Great company. Good People. Pay could be better. I learned a lot about the culture of Merritt and why it is well known in the Baltimore area. Just wish they would pay more.
Supportive place to work
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 25, 2018
Merritt Clubs set up its employees for success. They give good training, as well as give you the necessary tools for growth. The staff are supportive, and continue to look out for your best interests.
Porter (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 24, 2018
I enjoyed working at Merritt for the two years and some months. I had some good days and I had some bad days. I never got a raise. I just wish the company the best.
Pros
Free member ship
Cons
no raise.
A great place to work with friendly staff and members
Manager/Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  210 E. Centre St.December 21, 2017
Good environment and easy to advance. It's a friendly environment and a company that educates its staff and members in the current fitness and health advancements.
Pros
It's a good start
Cons
Gyms don't pay much
Calm place to work in
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 19, 2017
Everyone in this department is wonderful to work in. The staff are whiling to work with you at any cost even when they busy they will stop what they doing just to help understand your work. That is how became very active on the what I do.
Pros
Clam
Cons
not permanent
Merritt has a great atmosphere but is limited in career growth
Kids Club Manager/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDOctober 29, 2017
I enjoy working at Merritt. The staff is great and so are the members. I love the children at the kid zone and have seen the kid zone become a wonderful environment for the members. I also encourage the members by teaching body flow, a yoga class that includes tai chi, pilates, and a meditation. My main goal has been to fulfill our motto to be the best part of our members day and make sure they have a great experience!
Pros
free membership, great members, healthy work environment
Cons
little room for financial growth, minimal hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merritt Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?