Mesirow Financial Employee Reviews

A typical corporate setting
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2018
It's a dry, fast paced, cliquey company but gave me good experience with administrative assistance in a marketing setting so I could get a more meaningful position.
Nice Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2018
I temped for this company in different locations for a year. For the most part people and management very friendly and cooperative. Very few were not.
Pros
Downtown Chicago, Has a gym, Employee Days (i.e. March Madness TShirt day)
Cons
Some people treated temporary employees horribly.
Learn and Grow
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2017
I liked the positive environment working with the team throughout the process. Gathering the requiremnts and documenting them , explaining t to the team in a manner where they can start developing the system the business can best utilize to improve the services. Wonderful experience working with the team which helped me become a better team player.
Senior Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2017
Culture is key. And Mesirow knows culture. Hold yourself accountable to achieving goals and instilling value, and you will succeed at Mesirow. Great place to work; great name in Chicago and the Midwest.
Pros
location, people
Overall a good place to work
Vice President, Real Estate Division (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2017
Management has changed lately and the environment has deteriorated a little bit but there are still a lot of bright hard working employees. Work was challenging but very rewarding.
Great experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2017
It was great starting my career at Mesirow Financial. I got a chance to learn the custodial side of the investment management business and met a lot of great people
Overall a good company to have been associated with.
Account Specialist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 3, 2017
Worked in Oak Brook branch so was not given access to the amenities the Chicago location provided.
Company always pushed you into advancement which was a good incentive to better yourself.
Mesirow Financial hosted many special event parties which included both clients and insurance carriers and was most enjoyable.
Pros
Special Event Parties
Cons
Poor benefits and compensation
Eemployee Benefits
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILJuly 27, 2017
It has been years since I worked at Mesirow but when I did it was discouraging. The Benefits Team that I was on did not provide any encouragement or feeling of being on a team. That is why I was there for less than a year.
Best place to work if you can find a job here
Portfolio Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2017
Mesirow was one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Unfortunately they are no longer self clearing which caused amajor layoffs. The camaraderie between employees and management made the place somewhere you felt at home and you were recognized for the work you did.
Pros
Great management. Advancements. And work ethic is always recognized
Cons
Stability was questionable
Too Stressful no employee loyalty
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2017
Worked there for 4 years. Backoffice departments are run very tight. They don't trust employee, management style of brow-beating and clock watching.

All about the bottom-line; no loyalty to employees years of sacrifices.
Pros
Great location, solid financial shape
Cons
Mgmt, culture, opportunity, bonuses
good firm
Production Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2016
Sort of fraternal, but an ok culture. Hard working intelligent people everywhere. Not very hierarchicial, so very easy to interact across different teams.
Good team to work with
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
Good people to work with. Nice environment with entrepreneurial spirit. Work environment is relaxed but could get intense quickly. Formal training opportunities are limited in IT but if you are someone who likes to learn on their own then opportunities are there through test lab and online training.
Pros
good people, healthy work environment
Cons
long commute, no telecommute option
Family atmosphere in a medium size company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2016
I worked at Mesirow Financial for over 8 years.
I worked with many technologies while working for various departments within IT.
A typical work day would include requirements meetings with department leads followed by team meetings to discuss and finalize business documentation.
I learned how to gather business requirements for multiple financial and insurance departments for various applications. I also learned packaged and custom development for applications like Microsoft CRM and Salesforce.
Our management team was very good at balancing the work load so that we could work on multiple projects at once.
My co-workers over time became like family which made the days go by faster.
At times it was difficult to get buy in from the business's to continue or finish projects so it often left our teams juggling lots of due dates without deliverables.
I most enjoyed volunteer work with co-workers and new projects/technology when they presented themselves.
Pros
Volunteer Work, Various Technology Solutions, Good Co-workers, Office Location
Cons
Business Buy-In for Solutions, Long Projects, Out Dated Technology
This is a great company to work for
Executive Assistant to Credit Tenant Lease Team (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
Mesirow is a great place to work! They encourage a great work/life balance and have a great company culture.
The team I worked for is a great team with lots of positive energy.
Great company, but lacked R&D in our division.
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2016
Great company, worked on Fidelity Investments 3(21) Fiduciary services for their 401K business.

Typical day was calling on external, internal wholesalers, financial advisors and plan sponsors offering our 3(21) fiduciary services.

Management was weak and lacked vision for the business, not enough R&D investment and the managing director didn't believe in sales people for this role.

Hardest part of job was gathering 297M in 5 months and being laid off with the other sales team members.

The most enjoyable part of the role was the independence allowed within our division.
Pros
Gorgeous Office and work place
Cons
Lack of leadership and vision for our division
Excellent Place To Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2016
Mesirow Financial is the place where all the smart people go to work. Could not have left me with a better impression, and I found it to be one of the most enjoyable places to work.
Fun place to work, lots of freedom
Associate Intern, Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2016
Tons of event for the staff and everyone makes you feel like you are part of their family.. I really enjoy the work/life balance here
Pros
Community Service, Free Lunch, Free Drinks, Events, Lots of Clubs
Decent place to work
Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2015
Good place to work, hours are pretty good (37 1/2 hr work week).
Some of the people I worked with were great. Pay is good with annual reviews so you know where you stand within the organization and with your boss.
Pros
paid well and decent hours
Cons
lots of lay offs/outsourcing/downsizing
Ok place to work
Vice President, Investment Strategies (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
Depends on the Business Line, some are great. Cultures vary across the firm. Some great colleagues. Management needs to go through some training on how to become better managers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
hard to take vacation, management, culture, turnover
Good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2015
great place. I loved it. I enjoyed my time there. Would return. Cant get enough of the place. Wonderful place to work. I loved working there. I hated that I had to leave.