Metal Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Great company
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76119November 12, 2018
This is a small family owned company and it was a joy to work with them. If I didn't have to move, I would still be there.
Great people to work with.
Pros
Easaygoing
Cons
healthcare
It was a job
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 11, 2018
I enjoyed the actual work but it is impossible to raise a child with the pay rate. I liked the workers and owners. For me I left due to the pay. The work is slightly dangerous and you need to be careful how you carry the material. There is a genuine lack of communication between the sales people and the fabricators that leads to unnecessary problems
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Pay
Productive workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 30, 2018
Metal Supermarkets was a workplace where I first learned about the different types of metal. Also I learned about the Hem Saws that we used to cut the metal,
Metal Supermarkets
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAJanuary 25, 2018
It is a nice place to work, however, the owner is sick and told his employees that the shop will more than likely close.

I enjoy the job but am concerned for my future.
Awesome company and franchise concept.
Transportation/ DOT Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2018
I loved being employed here. I learned a tremendous amount of knowledge about something, I knew nothing about! I gained a lot of confidence within my employment.
Management doesn't know how to treat their empoyees.
Floater (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 4, 2018
No retirement dental, or vision offered. Only some staff got a christmas bonus, none of the employees feel valued, low chance of promotion (all senior positions full for foreseeable future) make trips to NPS to get pallets of stuff for the owners side business twice a week. fun, easy going atmosphere, flexible about time off. Everybody loves to make jokes.
Pros
Fun environment, flexible time off, extremely low monthly cost for health insurance
Cons
Lack of retirement, feud/hostility between CSR's and warehouse staff.
Small Business Franchisee
Warehouse/Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2018
The job is not horrible. Just pull the metal to the saw or shear and cut it for the customer. Do a daily inventory check and you're good. Friendly environment and the customers are very appreciative of your work.
Pros
Relaxed environment, easy work.
Cons
Lucky if you get time for lunch.
good place to work
WaterJet operator (Current Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 14, 2017
love the environment and people. wish it paid a little more for what I do but hey life isn't fair. In the long run ive been shown a lot and learned a lot at this work area
Metal Supermarkets
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 31, 2017
This establishment closed down in early 2002 and then reopened after I left to another job. Fun place to work, met great people who build really unique parts for all industries that support the U.S. economy. Great experience and still connected with some of the customers.
Pros
great people
Cons
closed
Family oriented workplace with great management and a steady work load.
Forklift Driver/Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2017
The typical day at Metal Supermarkets starts off with pulling orders from the previous evening and immediately cutting the prefered metal by the customer.
It was a learning experience.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILAugust 8, 2017
The job was great, the management was top notch, the co workers were all nice people, the only problem was that they were not paying me what I deserved.
Great people, good work/life balance
Outside Metal Sales (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2017
a good place to work in the midwest. If I were still living out there I would still be there Lord willing. Check them out for a fair and honest company to work for.
A fun and rewarding place to work.
Corporate Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  291 Buell Street Rochester NY14624February 9, 2017
So much like Samuel & Son we sold metal but a much smaller scale. We would get quote requests for most of the day from various jobs shops all over the greater Rochester area. Many of those would turn into orders. Sometimes I did not have the product in stock but I was capable of giving a good quote because I had gotten a quote from higher up the food chain and could have the product the next day. What I learned is that it is important to lead by example. If I did not get my hands dirty sometimes the ware house lads would think less of me. I had to go out their and be part of the team. The same went for the sales reps. I needed to help them more at times too. Be a good leader and work harder than employees. It shows them you are part of the team. I had not complaints with my regional manager. Our work culture for my Branch was If you got your work done it was okay to have a little fun as you did it as long as you were doing it safely. The hardest part for me was leaning to run the plate saw. It was a little scary at first, but I got the hang of if after awhile. The best part of the job was closing the deal. Your customer was looking for something they could not find and at the best price as well. It was not always easy but you found the material out there, worked over the supplier for the best cost you could get and quote it your customer. They would see you as the guy that always comes through and send you the purchase order!
Pros
Nice long breaks were provided for us. Good benifts.
Cons
Sometimes we were required to spend time out of state for weeks at a time.
Good manners
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2017
Regular activities involved warehouse environment. Excellent customer service, high responsibility oriented to detail, very spiritual.
Great partner and co-worker. Work to make the goals.
Interesting pace to work.
Director, Customer Success and Operations (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MANovember 11, 2016
Fell free to ask me:) I believe the experience varies wildly by location. The customers and suppliers are great. I think the ERP system needs major additional development.
Good working crew
Shop Lead/Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 25, 2015
It was a very pleasant atmosphere with a good crew and a good boss. The opportunity for advancement could have been better and the customer base needed to be built up.
No Benefits available.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MADecember 16, 2014
There are no benefits available. Extremely high pressure environment. Lunch breaks are rare or any other breaks as well do not happen often. Benefits will probably not be available.
Pros
Local Commute.
Cons
Extreme Pressure for CSR Position.

Comment – March 10, 2015

Horrible place to work. Ran the place for 10 months and get thrown out on the street when advocated for benefits which were supposed to be available at some point in time. Owner interfered with transactiosn which made it frustrating and was actually embarrassing. The bonus which was 2 months overdue was a complete joke and a complete insult. Owner made too many mistakes and did not want to hear constructive criticism and I was blamed for the incompetence instead.
No breaks ever which is illegal from what I know. I could go on and on. Was not allowed to read my letter of dismissal in front of owner before being dismissed. Terrible place to work unless you like to be taken advantage of. I could go on and on.

Comment – March 13, 2015

I feel bad for you. Believe me!!!!! You took my job and I am so glad because I was going to quit anyway. Don't expect much for a bonus. Don't ask for benefits. I worked their for 10 Months and was burnt out because of the personnel problem out back and the many mistakes/interfering with customer transactions. It was actually embarrassing because customers did not care most of the time who the owner is. My worked was often second guessed in front of the customers. Very frustrating. I refused to take the blame for the incompetence and basically sick of it. I knew that I was going to be let go and I was actually happy. Loyalty does not get you anywhere at this place. I could go on and on. Thanks again!!! And, good luck...... . Seriously!!

Poor teamwork, no communication
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, CONovember 30, 2014
Loved the freedom to actually sell vs being an order taker.
Loved interacting with the customers, becoming an integral
Part of their ideas and projects.

The lack of communication and teamwork made the
Job more of a challenge. Management often discussed
Personal issues with others, decisions made w/o
Even consulting with the employee in question.

Has the potential to flourish. Leadership needs to encourage his
Team, not alienate.

Leadership also needs to have his teams back.
Pros
See above
Cons
No benefits, bonuses, promised compensation
I enjoy meeting new customers everyday and helping with thier needs
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 7, 2014
Metal supermarkets is a great job for someone just starting out in the job market, it's a fun job with great challenges at times.
The most enjoyable part of my job and helping customers design their Ideals on side projects they are putting together and helping companies succeed in what they do best.
Pros
it's a small buisness not alot of drama going on all the time
Cons
with the buisness being so small there really is no room for advancement or pay increases
Nice place to work great employees
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIOctober 30, 2013
I leraned how to cut steel and learn the different grades of steel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metal Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Metal Supermarkets Reviews by Location