METHODIST HOME FOR CHILDREN Employee Reviews

will be a fun enjoyable place to work
Child Care counselor (Former Employee) –  Americus GeorgiaApril 12, 2019
The Methodist home is a very stressful job it takes you away from your family and Humanity . No one wants to work every single weekend the Methodist home forgets about you have a life outside of the working at the Methodist home
Pros
you do get paid $11 an hour
Cons
director wants to write you up for using your own sick time
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Americus, GAMarch 13, 2019
I was an intern here and worked closely with the girls at the home. I was taught techniques to help the girls cope and control their frustrations. I was also got to experience the administrative side of things as well.
fast paced work environment
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 13, 2019
I enjoyed my time working at Methodist Home for Children, although I do feel that direct care staff and underpaid and under appreciated. But seeing the difference that is made in the children we serve lives is definitely worth it.
Great
Resident Technician (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCFebruary 21, 2019
a typical day at work was challenging but I was excited to take on any challenge set forth. I loved the job because although some tasks remained the same on a daily basis there were other days where you didn't know what you were going to experience but those days excited me the most.
No advancements and a lot of insubordination from staff.
Assessment Counselor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCFebruary 18, 2019
The staff did what they wanted, when they wanted. Supervisors had no say they were micromanaged to the fullest. Administration didn’t support Supervisors in any way. A lot of petty things occurred and the youth that were served suffered. It doesn’t help to tell anyone they will just focus on you as being the problem. So the saga continues. It’s a hostile work environment. Many people were threated nothing happened from it but those people either quitting or getting fired. No body knows the job and most people are lazy.
Pros
Cons
Everything that entails with the job
learned a lot
Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 8, 2018
I was there as an intern, and everyone I came into contact with was very friendly and helpful.

Through my internship I was able to do a variety of different tasks, which allowed me to learn various aspects of working for a non-profit.
Loved and hated this job
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Relaxed work environment, great staff and management. Management is willing to work with you regarding schedule and issues you may be having. Don't get paid enough for what you have to deal with though. Very stressful,and it's easy to get burned out.
Productive workplace with excellent advancement opportunities.
Residential Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 24, 2018
Outstanding organization that helps children with behavioral health issues. Great work experience if you are considering a career in psychology. This is the place to gain a wealth of educational experience in the field of mental health. Staff are awesome and fun to work with, the children are awesome. Methodist Home for Children utilize their own evidenced based learning/teaching model and they send you to training. This type of training will help launch you into your next career stage. The job allows you to build your resume, gain experience in the field, and make great professional connections. Highly recommend this job to anyone interested in working with children or entering into the field of psychology.
Pros
Experience, great benefits, management that supports and teaches. Great career opportunities within the organization.
Cons
Always opportunities to work extra hours and gain overtime pay.
Very Structured environment but also engaging.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 10, 2018
The Methodist home for children was very great place to excel in with many opportunities. The care and attention provided to the children was phenomenal, not only were the staff caring about the youth but they also made it their sole responsibility to encourage and guide them. I enjoyed this internship!
Pros
Cooked meals
review
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Winton, NCJuly 6, 2018
Good job only cons were you lived at the facility for 40 hours. Ex. I worked from 7 am Friday and stayed there until Sunday night @7 pm, however this was my entire work week. Off the rest of the week.
Management wants this job to be your life.
Assessment Counselor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 19, 2018
Good and bad parts, just like any job.
Management was kind of invisible until a large problem occurred.
Management wanted and encouraged you to advance within the company, which is good. Just need more care in each facility from management.
Pros
Support your advancement.
Cons
Don't support the day to day needs, only when something bad happens.
Great experience and fun work place
Assessment Counselor/ Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Butner, NCMay 16, 2018
It’s a great experience, you meet of new people, and learn a lot about juveniles, may be able to progress in the company and more opportunities.......
Pros
Paid time off, days off weekly
Cons
No raises
Drama filled enviroment
Assessment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 9, 2018
This is the most drama filled environment for a group of "adults" to work for on a daily basis. Supervisors show up for their shifts reeking of alcohol. It is a hostile work environment because of the lack of supervision and favoritism shown to certain groups. The children aren't given the proper care they should be given, due to the antics going on in the facility. There is a "slop bucket" in the kitchen for a farmers pigs! Supervisors are allowed to leave the facility, smoke on the premises, and use foul language in front of the kids. Meds have been unrefrigerated and then given to a child. The state should shut them done for non-compliance to state laws.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
No breaks, bullying of staff, inappropriate behaviors
Experience and knowledge
FAMILY COACH (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAApril 11, 2018
There were several trainings offered to assist with the job you performed. I taught several classes, assessed parenting skills and engage family and children.
Pros
flexibility of schedule
Cons
not much growth in this department
Worker
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Winton, NCMarch 8, 2018
didnt like that i had to live in the home. i did enjoy working with the youth. staff mostly gossiped. did feel safe in the home with the youths. seems more of a male job
Stressful enviroment
Resident technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 19, 2017
Management-wonderful
Environment- working with mentally and developmentally challenged children

The difficulty of this job significantly outweighed the positive aspects
The pay is very low

Great opportunity to gain experience
average daily routines
Certified Teacher (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCDecember 15, 2017
I would come in and review student work and goals for the day. I also needed to get updates on general moods, absences for the day, any visitors or meetings scheduled. On some days, I may have to discontinue teaching for a couple hours, or assign work for a counselor to monitor, in order to transport a student to an appointment or public school to meet with administration. The abilities to flow with last minute changes and not be judgmental are required components for working in this environment.
Pros
Had a great onsite supervisor, who left shortly after me.
Cons
Central office management makes arbitrary decisions and did not follow their own policy manual.
Children friendly
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GASeptember 19, 2017
the organization helps displaced and foster care children. This the one place I have work during my career and felt as though i made a difference Supportive team of consultants
Low pay and little support
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 2, 2017
This company revolves around helping kids. I just wish this company actually valued the employees that interact and make a difference in the kids lives. The kids are the only reason I have stayed as long as I have, but the lack of credit and pay for those actually on the floor doing the hard work has finally become too much. Its a good place to get your foot in the mental health door, but other than that I would not recommend.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Pay, Hours, Unsupportive Supervisors
Fun with the children but not worth the pay and too long of hours.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 19, 2017
I worked with MFHC for about 8 months. The work place is enjoyable at times. but there isn't any balance. Let alone you have so many different people on different shifts, it makes it impossible of the children to have consistency. Safety is a huge factor. You are concisely on alert for a child that might attack you. You're not compensated what you deserve.
Pros
Fun with the kids
Cons
no lunch or dinner break but you can eat with the kids, you only get paid $9 an hour while worrying about your safety