Metro-North Railroad Employee Reviews

Great work culture and excellent team.
Locomotive Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
Nice working environment where the team work is always present. Employees are always willing and able to perform their tasks complying with all the requirements, policies, rules and regulations of the company as of the Federal Railroad Administration, looking out for the safety of the passengers and company property.
Great Place to Work
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 30, 2018
My overall experience at Metro-North was fantastic. Metro-North is a great place to work for and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the company. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and very nice to work with. If I ever needed help, they were more than willing to help. The workplace culture was very nice and I was more than comfortable in my day to day operations at Metro-North.
Pros
Great people, taught me a lot.
It's a pleasant job
Financial Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 30, 2018
Good place to work. New York State just taxes you an arm and a leg though. Not a lot of room for growth. You basically have to just apply for different positions the same as outsiders in order to move up.
Pros
Great management, Decent hours, decent OT, Quiet workplace
Cons
NYS drowns you in taxes. Not much room for growth
Good for work life balance, bad for promotions
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2017
Not a competitive environment, and it takes a long time for work to get done. It is an ideal place to work if you're looking for work-life balance. Also, there is a pension.
Waited too long to replace President
Deputy Chief, Training, Corporate Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2017
Limited resources for sufficient proactive training. New senior leadership on much better course.

Needs to adopt significant human factors training for rail operations, maintainers, supervisors and leadership.
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
Know your responsibility and get it done. You get in sit on your computer you have a certain amount of tasks to do for me it involved database and maintaining the database and developing forms using macros
A five star company to work for when concerning benefits!
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 19, 2017
Great pay and benefits! the company considers the safety of all its employees through meetings and safety protection equipments! Their highest priority is the safety of its employees and customers.
great pay and benefits
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
This job provided great pay and benefits, the only downside was that you had to work weekends and holidays and odd hours. a second downside to working for Metro North is that there was little room for advancement.
I very happily worked for Metro North Railroad for many years, unfortunately the division was closed or I would be happily serving New York commuters
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10017August 18, 2017
What I enjoyed most about working for Metro North is that my shifts were busy and I was able to make a weary commuter's evening enjoyable. I have made lasting friendships with my co-workers and some customers.
Pros
My day was busy.
Cons
Summary
analyst (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYAugust 16, 2017
Great staff, great work/life balance, and if you're an agreement employee, opportunities for overtime pay. If there's a job you think you're qualified for, apply.

Want to know more about Metro-North Railroad?

Ask a question
It was the best job I ever had!...I miss the friends I made!
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2017
Just do your job! Work safely! Leave work the same way you came in! Respect others and their safety! This job is one of very few with unlimited advancement opportunities!
Pros
The people
Cons
Nothing!
fun workplace with nice employers
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Croton-on-Hudson, NYFebruary 18, 2017
Very interesting working on trains; learned alot about electrical troubleshooting in stressful enviroments when equipment is low and needed. employers are very friendly and advancement opportunities are available for whoever tries.
Very interesting place to work. Always busy and constantly learning something new.
Deputy Director, Customer Service & Stations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
I have the good fortune of having many co-workers who are smart, hard-working and share a common goal of doing what is in the best interest of the railroad. The work is most interesting since something new can be experienced each day. The challenge faced when working for the railroad is how to balance successfully reaching your project goals that ultimately benefit the customers and employees, but is done with minimal impact to the railroad operations. It has been incredibly satisfying when being able to say I achieved just that upon completion of a project.
Pros
Good salary, benefits
Cons
Tolerance of sub-standard performance
Great place to work.
(MTA) - Summer Intern - HR Compensation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2016
A great place to work with nice people. Had a wonderful experience and learned a lot. My commute was very long but despite that I enjoyed going to work.
Good company to get career started.
Procurement (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
Room for advancement may be blocked by long timers. Remember above all this is a railroad. Company trying to change culture after 30 years.
Easy-going environment
Corporate Compliance Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2015
Working for this company as an intern has been an excellent experience. Specially since I am very interested in working for a transportation services company. My boss is the best mentor I've had, very easy-going, comprehensible and trustworthy.

Hardest part of the job has been working on tasks that I've never done, learning the new software and having to communicate in English, even though I am fully bilingual. I have definitely learned a lot of Corporate Compliance and my communication in English has gone from good to excellent.

I really enjoy my job and learning about Internal Controls and how different departments should work to have a better and functional company.
Pros
Reasonable breaks
good place to work, co-workers make the day better
Refrigeration Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2015
Started working for the railroad in 2004,found the people there nice to work with. Started in the M of E department, working on trains' hvac . Learned some stuff there that I really didn't get a chance to work with in school. In 2013 I transferred to the utilities department in grand central terminal N.Y.C ,where they have 4 electric centrifugal York chillers with a total 2700 tons. The people there a great ,had some exposure to big equipment. Worked with different crafts and contractors in the plant to convert old plant to new. Management is fair at the railroad, never had a problem. What I found enjoyable there is that information that you know gets swapped around for other co-workers information wich makes the work day a lot easier for everyone.
Pros
the more you know your job, the better your day
Cons
enviornment can be better, it is a railroad.
Great Place to work
Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2015
Great Benefits. Able to progress oneself educationally with engineering and project management. Project management is well organized, from project kick-off meeting to close out.
Pros
Very interactive with project meetings.
Cons
It is a large organization, so an effort has to be made to maintain management coordination between departments.
Great pay and benefits
Catenary lineman (Former Employee) –  Springdale, CTApril 4, 2014
Loved working there . I didn't pass the the high stucture climbing school and was released
Changing culture, with unstable vision due to constant changes in leadership
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2014
A good place to work if you want to get a lot of experience, due to the amount of work, and the limited number of resources. Not so good if you don't handle stress too well. However, some of the management can be too hands on to make this statement absolute.

A majority of the co-workers are great, however, there are a large number of individuals that show up to collect their pay checks, and continue to get away with it.

The hardest part of the job is balancing the workload with the time in the day. And now that our department is Unionized, it isn't always clear what I am allowed to do.

I most enjoy working with the users, evaluating their requests, gathering requirements, designing the system, development (although this is now forbidden due to union rules). All the techy stuff ,basically.
Pros
Lots of hands on work if you are willing to learn on the job
Cons
Unstable leadership, due to turnover, uncertain future due to re-organization