Metro Mattress Employee Reviews

Competitive and at times a stressful industry
Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I have been in the industry 15 years and worked for 4 different mattress retailers and this company is my second best experience...(My best is because of location and compensation) The family owned atmosphere is great, they care about the staff and customers. My job is much easier when I don't have to deal with irate customers and the team here does all they can to ensure customer satisfaction. Commissions are great, not every store is as rewarding but if you stay focused and prove yourself at each one advancement opportunities are always present.
Pros
Compensation and great people
Cons
Hours, down time, healthcare
Sales
Sales ececutive (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 3, 2018
To be determined by the month end.Good

I'm actually going to bed early and listen to worship.

I'm looking for a job away from sales.

What information can you give me??
Pros
Sales on going training
Cons
Not enough managers
got to go to places
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 10, 2018
it was a very nice job loved being on the road to working with some of the people i worked with others were rude and didnt care how you felt about it but over all was a nice job
Pros
paid good
Cons
rude people
Cut-throat, aggressive, back-stabbing company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 3, 2018
High potential to make money, if aligned with the right people and you are willing to give up your life outside of work. Metro pays their employees decent commissions but you are worked like a dog, criticized about everything and compared directly to your peers in an attempt to motivate you. I did extremely well there as both a manager and a salesperson but every day I felt like I was giving up more of my morals and integrity working for a company that was purely focused on making money and grinding their employees down until there was nothing left.
Pros
Decent commissions for now
Cons
Constantly cutting pay every couple months, awful benefits packages, threatening atmosphere, you won't succeed without stabbing people in the back, unprofessional, inexperienced, incapable management
For the amount of experience I have. I feel I could do better.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  3457 john glen blvd syracuse new york.December 26, 2017
The company has to make improvements. They can not guarantee employees a 40 hour work week. The bonus plan is great. I stayed because it is a job. They have a very high turn over rate as well!
Pros
customers are great people. I have been give four raises since I have been th
Cons
health insurance is expensive, 67 dollars for one person, cant afford it and put food and roof over my head.
Hot and Cold
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsford, NYNovember 19, 2017
There were times I was really busy and constantly getting customers and other times where there was no one for most of the day, scheduling is tough, not recommended.
Pros
quiet
Cons
schedule
Terrible
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NY 14626November 12, 2017
This was one of the worst jobs ever, they start you at a joke of a salary at 6.75 an hour plus commission but they do not tell you it can be days in between sales. Everything you sell is split with the company, current employees take advantage and steal money from new people that are trying to learn from them. Management is a joke, work open to close, and frequent schedule changes the night before your shift. Overall just a terrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
schedule, pay, benefits, management
Hard work but very rewarding.
Sign Holder, delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAAugust 17, 2017
This company was my first job and they were very good to me. I started out holding a sign with the stores name and logo on it but then soon was promoted to delivering mattresses.
great place to work, progressive and supportive management.
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Hudson, NYMay 25, 2017
My overall experience at Metro Mattress has been enjoyable. my compensation through commission is above average. my responsibilities are few and simple. The sales support staff is above average. from the owner of the company all the way down to the drivers and everyone in between. this is a 50+ store independantly owned company that still has a mom and pop feel to the culture of the management style. the ability to sell helps when you work at Metro,
Only as good as your last envelope..
Former sales employee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 18, 2017
On paper, it's a great place. But the fact is you have to be in a store that sees decent customers in order to make good money. Only a handful of stores have that traffic ( although it's your fault if your store isn't seeing good traffic). No loyalty for good, reliable employees. If you're in a slow store you can go days before seeing an up. If you're in a poorer demographic area you'll see very few "big bed" customers. You'll struggle to make 40k while others make 70 to 80k easily. No personal time, sick time. If you call in sick you have to get a doctor's note or you're not allowed back on the floor. So do not call in. If you get hired it could be great for you, or it could be horrible. Depends completely on where they put you.
Pros
Possibility of making good money
Cons
Long, slow hours. Possibility of struggling to make a livable wage.
Competitive But High Income Potentials
Sales Manager & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13209April 7, 2017
The owner of this company hired me back two times and worked with me through personal challenges. Its by far the best company I have worked for and the income potential will surprise you. It is probably the highest paying furniture/high ticket retail company you will find in this region. 50k - 100k plus across the board sales to managers.
Pros
Caring Owner and Staff, high income and benefits
Cons
Very high pressure sales model, but managable
Great.
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 6, 2017
Great Experience. Learned a lot of skills that I know will make me more valuable to any other job I go for. Very helpful coworkers that were eager to assist. No slimy sales people jumping all over your prospects.
Pros
Great Compensation.
Cons
long hours and no weekends or holidays off.
Supervized my helper and had a lot of customer service.
Driver /Installer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 10, 2016
I liked traveling and dealing with the customers. Training and supervising my helper.Scheduling and problem solving was a daily thing
Not for me.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYMarch 29, 2016
I did not have a pleasant experience being employed by Metro Mattress, however, I wish their employees and leadership well in their future endeavors.
Incredible company to work for, with great leadership from Management
Regional Trainer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 8, 2016
A company who truly looks to better themselves with positive reinforcement and great pay for those who are on board with always trying to get better. Management is great, and amazing co-workers. Sometimes it can feel like a grind while working Holidays and weekends, but you're still working only 40-45 hours a week, and you'll always have 2 days off still.
Pros
Great earning potential, with positive work environment
Cons
You're working Holidays and weekends
Great Pay, Benefits, 401k Match
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 27, 2015
I've been here for over 4 years and there's nothing but great things about working for this company. Vacation is great, pay is great, hours are great and they pay overtime! The benefits along with 401k match is the best than any other company I've worked for. Very positive environment and the training is great. Corporate interacts with you along with any questions you may have they are there to help! The training is great because they want you to be successful and you have many opportunities to climb the success ladder.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, training, sympathetic, great team, and the 401k match is the highest than any other company, bonuses every month and end of the year
Great culture, great management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYSeptember 16, 2015
First, the bad. It is retail sales, so the hours are what they are and you can get a difficult customer once in a while. But on the flipside, you get great customers most of the time. Management is very good to support the effort and easy to be in contact. The company VP has made it a simple call to get nearly anything done. Regionals are always available and eager to help. I have not worked with a company setup better to help in store representatives. Plus, the commissions have been quite good. You will be solo in the store most of the time. Lots of free time and any customer who comes in is yours.
Pros
good management support
Cons
long hours, especially on holidays
Sales job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 3, 2015
you have the potential to make a good amount of money, you do endure the typical sales/customer service problems. some times you can work very long days and have little freedom with your social life but there is a give and take with constant contests, ways to win trips or bonus money.
Pros
Money, Bonus, hours, ability to move up
Cons
Lack of personal life, sales based earnings, sales faux paw
no fun at all
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  rochester nyNovember 13, 2014
worst company ive ever worked for please b prepared to not have a life you work from 9:45 to 9pm you start off at 6.75 a hour
Pros
nake your own paycheck
Cons
micro manage long hours waiting for customers
Great boss and great company to work for if your willing to work the hours they give you.
Delivery Driver Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 8, 2014
I loved the job personally. As of August 6th 2014 I've been working here for a year I have made a lot of relationships with my co-workers along with my boss. The boss is an amazing person and is always willing to work with you on situations that are going on in your life. Ex. Vacation, Marriage, Death in the family even your basic sick day etc..
Pros
A lot of freedom
Cons
Very poor work schedule