Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA)

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) Employee Reviews

Productive work place
Contract Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2018
The people were nice. The job was stressful, people curse you out on the phones. Also if you are late because of MARTA's fault they dock your pay anyway. For example, if their train would break down while I was on it and I was a minute late, they docked me 15 minutes although they could look at the time you began your trip because they give you a MARTA card and you can be tracked. I thought that was unfair.
The manager I had at the time spoke down to people. At times instead of talking to you, he would print out a complaint you took and mark it up sarcastically. Very passive aggressive. At the time, I was very sick with a life threating illness and I just couldn't handle the stress of the calls and that particular manager. The pay was decent, they didn't offer any benefits because I wasn't permanent. The hours were decent, it is the only thing I miss about the job.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Timed 10 min breaks and specific lunch hours
Protypical Government Environment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 13, 2018
Small company feel but big government sluggishness. Priorities seem to be out of order in some business sectors. Can be exciting if you have no frame of reference.
Pros
Great health benefits and two days PTO per month
Cons
Career path dictated by what you know about the company; not what you bring to the company, Peers seem intimidated by outside success and professional development.
Great company to work for!
RAIL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2018
Great company to work for! no days are the same
The hardest part of the job is the unreliability of the equipment.
Workplace culture have to change as well
Pros
Compensations/Salary
Cons
No family life
Not a bad company
Railcar Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 7, 2018
I worked at Marta as a rail car cleaner. Job wasnt bad at all. Benefits were also great. Marta also makes it possible for you to work your way through their system for advancement. Marta was a great company.
Pros
company events
Cons
Good company with great benefits with a oppurtunity for growth potential.
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 24, 2018
Marta gives great benefits with a chance to move up. The experience and skills set allow any individual to succeed there or anywhere you would desire.
I would not recommend MARTA as an employer
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 11, 2018
The inter office politics is unbearable for those wanting to learn his or her job and do well. Most employees are there to retire and not interested in helping new people become knowledgeable of job. It is an awful place to work.
Benefits
Cons
Older workers, management, no work life balance
Growing Company
Parking Cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 4, 2018
MARTA is a fast moving company that grows every day. You meet different people and diverse cultures all in one day. Part-time employees receive benefits after one year.
Exciting at first then boom no advancement unless you know some one
SUPERVISOR/CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2018
Department is very stagnant own manager said that theres no advancement . Benefits keep going up .Moral very low alot of back and forth with union they just take your money > Only time union shows up is if they up for re election . I can go on
Pros
pension
Cons
bad pay too may certs to maintain every year for the pay
You Have to Sacrifice
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 20, 2018
The atmosphere at Marta is dying and it is not an amazing place to work. Often people talk about benefits and that's not just the only thing that should drive you. It's highly stressful, your scheduling is chaotic and the job itself puts you in situations that put your job in jeopardy more times than not. i.e. driving down small streets where the bus will not fit when signs are leaning in the road etc.
Pays well
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2018
The job can be stressful if you let it. I have never had any major complaints with the management or my coworkers. The only issue that I had was there wasn't enough layover time between trips and being the traffic was so bad, you would not get breaks or time to eat.
Pros
Pays well with good benefits.
Cons
No time for breaks.
Great! with small communication problems
Engineering and Architecture Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
The people and management at MARTA are Top Notch. The only problems are that they have is communication between departments and response time. I had to wait two months to get the software I needed, because of the volumes of people they have to take care of. I suggest more staff in that area.
Pros
Great Company Training, Well paid, benefits
Cons
Communication between departments
Very employee friendly!
Parking Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 20, 2018
This position afforded me the opportunity to build my customer service skills while operating a parking booth for long term parking.

I interacted daily with customers as they entered and exited the parking deck. Periodically, I provided service and system information to those unfamiliar with the system,

Management was very amenable and treated staff fair.

As an intern, I had the opportunity to gain knowledge in the technology and telephony areas and the operations of each group.

The staff was very receptive of any inquiries made and ensured that I not only performed the tasks but followed through to completion.

The work culture was awesome and family oriented.
Competitive pay and benefits
Rail Station Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2018
I am currently an employee of Marta. I enjoy the competitive pay and the health and life insurance benefits that are provided to the employees. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with co-workers that understand my work ethic.
Start but don't finish here
Senior Auditr (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2018
MARTA is a great place to start your career. However, it is no longer a place for longevity. Pay raises are small, there are no bonuses, and you are not paid to industry standards.
Pros
Great place to start a career
Cons
Lack of upward mobility and pay not at industry standards
was fun at first
blockout dispatcher and serviceperson (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2018
Company was a god place to work, however union has gone down hill, management has no respect for employees. You're nothing but your badge number here. If you can start in the rail department it would be great.
benefits
Cons
set work hours
Great company with benefits.
Customer Service Rep/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2018
Great place to work. They have good benefits.Employee's ride the system for free. Great place for advancement opportunities. They offer good customer service training.
Pros
Employee's ride the system for free.
Love Marta
Station Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Five Points, GAApril 26, 2018
Excellent job just need to be paid alittle bit more for my labor. They make you work harder than any other position and this field doesnt pay you for all of the nastiness that you have to endure. They are quick to write you up for doing something
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not enough wages
Describes work day and work environment
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2018
My typical day is to provide bus transportation for the public in a safe manner. I learned public service, hospitality, and the geography of Atlanta. The management of MARTA were professionally driven and communicated well with employees. The work place culture was positive and supportive. The hardest part of the job was maneuvering through traffic. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public and sharing greetings.
Pros
Public appreciation
Cons
traffic
Co-workers make it fun, Management is all over the place, high turnover
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 26, 2018
You typically start out part time extra board. Your hours and routes vary widely. Plenty of opportunity for overtime because they do not have enough operators to cover routes. There is high turnover and many operators are retiring. Communication between management and operators can be confusing. Easy to be disciplined. Can be very stressful due to management and the public.

MARTA hires from within, most managers started as bus operators. Training is excellent. Moral among rank and file is very low.

I enjoyed my co-workers and passengers. Everyday was an adventure. The senior operators wistfully remember the old days when it was a gravy job. New CEOs, directives, motives, and policies and procedures have made the working with MARTA difficult.

With the new state of Georgia transportation project, the future of MARTA will change. Things are uncertain for bus operators.
Pros
Unionized, good co-workers, free training
Cons
Pay low for industry, Management unorganized, favorites
Workplace
Mobility Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 6, 2018
As a MARTA employee I was taught discipline and structure. I also loved how the company promotes within and the benefits as well. I liked the family atmosphere of the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA). Our community is ready to answer.

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) Reviews by Location