Metropolitan Council for the State Of Minnesota

Metropolitan Council for the State Of Minnesota Employee Reviews

understaffed
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNSeptember 11, 2019
the hiring process is long and tedious. Once hired, they lure you with great government employee benefits. Once you make FT & thus get the great benefits, the hours and shifts are long and impossible; no work-life balance.
I learned the entire system of wastewater treatment
Wastewater Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 15, 2019
I enjoyed my 36 years at the council. They have very nice training opportunities for employees and assist everywhere they can in making sure you feel needed and appreciated. Benefits and wages are above average and with a retirement program
Well informed
Disaster Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 5, 2019
This was a great environment to work at. The supervisor was helpful and I enjoyed helping the clients with all their needs. There was no micro managing.
great work/life balance
N/A (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 28, 2019
Great work life balance and great co-workers, talented people who truly care about the region and making it an even better place to live. Truly enjoy where I work.
Pros
Great benefits and work/life balance
Cons
Company culture needs to improve
Water pollution control - government agency.
Industrial Waste Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 18, 2018
I typically spent each work day going to industries and testing their wastewater for compliance with pollution control laws. I had an excellent supervisor, and the management was able and competent. The atmosphere was relaxed and professional. The hardest part of the job was working in confined spaces, and the most enjoyable part was the variety and the people.
Pros
Good work, benefits, salary.
Cons
Job was very dirty at times.
great work poor managment
Bus Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 2, 2018
paid very well and good benefits but management made it hard to stay motivated gave a false impression of career advancement they offered training but were not good at picking candidates for management positions
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
managment
Take the postion
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaApril 18, 2018
I have been with MCES for 2 years and have grown exponentially during my employment. As an internal temporary employee, I found it difficult to move into a regular full-time position, but the people are passionate and the mission is one that anyone can get behind.
Pros
Passionate Staff
Cons
Passionate Staff
Great Income and Benefits
Transit Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 16, 2018
Great opportunity to make money with great government benefit program. Early stages of career, the scheduling can be hectic. Dealing with all aspects of public relations can be stressful at times.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Unpredictable scheduling at times
Great place to learn the work place environment
(TTMS) planning and data input (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 8, 2018
I was in an organization called Right Track that helps HighSchoolers gain work experience through paid internships. They evaluated each "student" and suggest jobs to them based on there past experience and or interests. Working there really showed me first hand what the traditional way of working is like. 9am to 5pm, cubical work and what not. I was in charge of helping develop there MNUCP website, TTMS planning and data input and I really feel like my work and everyone's work there really impacted the outside world.
good benefits
Air Quality Technician II (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 27, 2018
Great benefits, slow advancement. roles are not defined very well. it is hard to advance if this job due to favoritism and nepotism. would like to see them define jobs more clearly.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
low wage
Great place to work if you don't have aspirations for upward mobility
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 25, 2018
The Metropolitan Council is a great place to work if you don't have aspirations for upward mobility. Most people have the same job as they were hired for throughout their career there.
The benefits, especially the health care and vacation time are excellent. If you are sick it comes out of vacation time, there is no sick leave.
It is all union jobs, so there are union fees.
You do get a State of Minnesota pension when you retire.
The employees work very well together and generally get along. Management, however, is under pressure not to promote employees based on their great work.
Cronyism is rampant.
Pros
Excellent healthcare benefits and vacations. Employees are nice.
Cons
Career advancement is very slow or non-existent for most. Lots of cronyism.
Great Management Friendly Environment
Business Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 30, 2018
Working for the Council is great experience to learn more how government operate and how they provide to the community. The management and culture is amazing.
Pros
Flexible time and great pay for interns
Cons
Really relaxed environment
Great and considerate high level of professionalism, expertise with great customer service and family atmosphere.
City Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 10, 2018
This is one great company anyway you look at or approach the subject. The company takes great care to meet the needs of the customers/citizens of the state. In doing so they strive to meet the needs of it's employees. Great company with Union representation and Benefits. Can't say enough good about it.
Pros
Considerate company
Cons
Considerate company
Not the best fit for me, desire more personal interaction.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 5, 2017
Wake up very early. Drive to work. Mingle with fellow employees, not all (clickish) garage atmosphere. Pre-trip bus, go to first pick ups. Pick up and greet passengers, for me passenger interactions minimal; because of need to concentrate on driving. Spend to much time thinking my own thoughts, only visual distractions, need to focus on safe driving. My biggest negatives of job. Some drivers really enjoy the job a lot, me, it is boring. I may be considered more introverted than many. Many people really love the job. It is great to know some of the drivers there, many are good-natured fun people. Normally positive atmosphere.
Pros
drivers feel appreciated, some good friends, good healthcare, nice breaks at home between shifts
Cons
early rising, clickish garage atmosphere, some unfriendly routes and fellow drivers (for me), for me boring work, no interactions during driving and no radio to listen to
temp project job
Technology Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 9, 2017
90 day temporary job replacing computers at various office building locations. I went above and beyond the needed services even rebuilding their platforming software.
Good compensation benefits, bureaucratic,
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 5, 2017
A typical day may include meetings, paperwork and more paperwork.
I was able to learn a lot at MCES. Management supports its employees yet it is overly hierarchical. Figuring out the ever changing culture and the endless chain of approvals needed for each task is the hardest part of the job. Most of the people are really good, committed and down-to-earth. That is the best part of the job.
Pros
flexibilty - good work, family life balance, not overly demanding
Cons
bureaucracy
do important work
Water Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 26, 2017
they do important work do quantity analyze how waste water treatment plants effluent impacts metro rivers. great organization and connects both stp and mpls
Database Administrator/PeopleSoft Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 14, 2017
This was a good place to work. Worked with a lot of great people.
Benefits were good. Management went from good to bad. Turnover in management was high.
Great Place to Work
INTERN/LABOR RELATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 4, 2017
Working for the Metropolitan Council is a very fulfilling and rewarding organization to work for. Most people starting out his or her career often find themselves finishing his or her career with the organization. This is a state government organization offering excellent pay and benefits.
Pros
compensation, health, dental, vision benefits
Cons
ability to advance to other departments
First Government Job
Business Analyst III - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 21, 2017
Ive not worked in the public sector before and the Council has been a good experience. There is forward though, willingness to change, and a cautious culture towards new ideas for improving existing process.

The hard part is advancement. People are accepting jobs they are overqualified for which makes internal advancement hard.