Metropolitan Council Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Income and Benefits
Transit Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 16, 2018
Great opportunity to make money with great government benefit program. Early stages of career, the scheduling can be hectic. Dealing with all aspects of public relations can be stressful at times.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Unpredictable scheduling at times
Great place to learn the work place environment
(TTMS) planning and data input (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 8, 2018
I was in an organization called Right Track that helps HighSchoolers gain work experience through paid internships. They evaluated each "student" and suggest jobs to them based on there past experience and or interests. Working there really showed me first hand what the traditional way of working is like. 9am to 5pm, cubical work and what not. I was in charge of helping develop there MNUCP website, TTMS planning and data input and I really feel like my work and everyone's work there really impacted the outside world.
good benefits
Air Quality Technician II (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 27, 2018
Great benefits, slow advancement. roles are not defined very well. it is hard to advance if this job due to favoritism and nepotism. would like to see them define jobs more clearly.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
low wage
Great place to work if you don't have aspirations for upward mobility
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 25, 2018
The Metropolitan Council is a great place to work if you don't have aspirations for upward mobility. Most people have the same job as they were hired for throughout their career there.
The benefits, especially the health care and vacation time are excellent. If you are sick it comes out of vacation time, there is no sick leave.
It is all union jobs, so there are union fees.
You do get a State of Minnesota pension when you retire.
The employees work very well together and generally get along. Management, however, is under pressure not to promote employees based on their great work.
Cronyism is rampant.
Pros
Excellent healthcare benefits and vacations. Employees are nice.
Cons
Career advancement is very slow or non-existent for most. Lots of cronyism.
Great Management Friendly Environment
Business Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 30, 2018
Working for the Council is great experience to learn more how government operate and how they provide to the community. The management and culture is amazing.
Pros
Flexible time and great pay for interns
Cons
Really relaxed environment
Not the best fit for me, desire more personal interaction.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 5, 2017
Wake up very early. Drive to work. Mingle with fellow employees, not all (clickish) garage atmosphere. Pre-trip bus, go to first pick ups. Pick up and greet passengers, for me passenger interactions minimal; because of need to concentrate on driving. Spend to much time thinking my own thoughts, only visual distractions, need to focus on safe driving. My biggest negatives of job. Some drivers really enjoy the job a lot, me, it is boring. I may be considered more introverted than many. Many people really love the job. It is great to know some of the drivers there, many are good-natured fun people. Normally positive atmosphere.
Pros
drivers feel appreciated, some good friends, good healthcare, nice breaks at home between shifts
Cons
early rising, clickish garage atmosphere, some unfriendly routes and fellow drivers (for me), for me boring work, no interactions during driving and no radio to listen to
temp project job
Technology Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 9, 2017
90 day temporary job replacing computers at various office building locations. I went above and beyond the needed services even rebuilding their platforming software.
Database Administrator/PeopleSoft Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 14, 2017
This was a good place to work. Worked with a lot of great people.
Benefits were good. Management went from good to bad. Turnover in management was high.
Great Place to Work
INTERN/LABOR RELATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 4, 2017
Working for the Metropolitan Council is a very fulfilling and rewarding organization to work for. Most people starting out his or her career often find themselves finishing his or her career with the organization. This is a state government organization offering excellent pay and benefits.
Pros
compensation, health, dental, vision benefits
Cons
ability to advance to other departments
First Government Job
Business Analyst III - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 21, 2017
Ive not worked in the public sector before and the Council has been a good experience. There is forward though, willingness to change, and a cautious culture towards new ideas for improving existing process.

The hard part is advancement. People are accepting jobs they are overqualified for which makes internal advancement hard.
Positive Work / Life Balance, Benefits Eligible (except for interns)
eLearning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 3, 2017
I have worked for the Council for over 2 years as temporary employment without benefits, but was compensated fairly.

The Council is a great place to work with many people who care about the work they do and have a passion for the mission of the organization.

I believe the Council has job opportunities for advancement, but the hardest part is the excellent benefits and pay for salaried employment makes most of the opportunities highly sought after.

Management consistently supportive of work/life balance. At the Robert Street facilities there is an on-site clinic.
Pros
Benefits, Work / life Balance, Fair Pay
Cons
Competitive outcome on employee advancement
union workplace...
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMarch 29, 2017
Fine place to work if you do like doing minimal effort. Union environment will discourage any hard work that separates you from the herd. Make it 5 years and you will be brain dead like all the other lifers. easy money.. Most common phrase heard. " Not my job"
Pros
pay. work load
Cons
management indifference and we have allways done it that way culture.
terrible
LRT Helper (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 27, 2017
This place was the worst choice of my life. It was a little bit of me and a bit of the company. i am good at adapting to change but with little to no training with the change. I makes it hard to do your job at an 100%. As they expect you to.
Treats employees well
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 3, 2017
Its a good job the other people that work there are nice. It gets better the longer you work there. The other employees like to work a lot of hours. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers and the schedule.
Pros
the pay
So-so
Training Specialist/Applicant Liaison (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 26, 2016
Employee engagement and involvement are comparatively low. Manager skills vary all over the map. Some are better, but some are much worse than others. Take your chance.
Benefits
Cons
Management and culture
Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 5, 2016
Love working here, hired as temporary, would love to stay, but they are not placing any permanent position in the area I am working and the work has run out.
Kinda 'meh' place to work, but there are a lot worse places out there
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMay 18, 2016
Not the worst place to work, but the support systems such as HR and Finance can often cause more headaches than solutions. Many people have been here for decades which limits the amount of industry best practices that are in place. Change comes slowly, and with a limited budget.

Work life balance is good, with an amazing amount of paid time off.

The multiple divisions within the Council cause confusion and conflict, that often result in Metro Transit winning over everyone else. If you're not a part of Transit, don't expect a lot of attention from Regional Administration.
Pros
Great paid time off
Cons
Low pay and limited budgets
Metro. Council Summary
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2015
Handling HR responsibilities, entering employee transactions into People Soft, Scanning employee files, entering background checks, ordering drug screens and physicals for candidates.

I thoroughly enjoyed my job in all aspects.
Work was very technical and needed alot of analysis.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 21, 2015
This was the most challenging position I had ever held, because of the work. Did train and bus operators pay analysis and not one was the same. Had to comply to Union rules and regulations as well as State and Local laws. Had drivers working part-time, weekend and holiday, some work 6 hours a day, 8 hours a day and 9 as well as 10 hours. Each fit different rules and regs. Needed every bit of financial knowledge I had ever learned. Worked long hours to complete duties felt excitement as each payroll was ready to load for the final run. Loved this job.
Pros
Worked with alot of different people each week.
Cons
We were given raises because we belonged to the Union, not for the work we performed, Some of us worked hard, others did as little as possible.
Productive close knit group, fast paced and interesting
Customer service, routing and directing customers (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 16, 2015
I enjoy my job and co-workers. Fast paced and interesting. Can be stressful at times and a high degree of patience and diplomacy is needed. Benefits are great. Great place to work.