Metropolitan Development Council Employee Reviews

relaxing
CDA (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 30, 2019
it is some times slow and busy i learn a lot here how people are when coming off never that i work at a place like this but im happy i learn a lot ...
Non-Profit Organization
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 3, 2019
Non-Profit Organization with multiple resources for the community. Such as housing, employment, education, and substance abuse treatment for adults and youth,
Great Programs
Peer Counselor & CDA (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 28, 2019
Short Staffing daily health and safety concerns and high turnover.
.Great programs Lack of management and clear lesdership
Union no help
High turnover in management
Pros
Excellent programs
Cons
Lack of leadership
Okay
Certified Peer Counselor, Evaluation and Treatment (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 21, 2018
The company means well and has an excellent vision.
But whether management follows the company's vision is in the air.

There are a lot of new things happening with MDC, so hopefully things change for the better.
Helpful for community not employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 3, 2018
Wages were extremely low. Stressful environment - too many bosses for the number of employees available and policy changes almost daily. Very hard to keep up with. Loved my co workers, clients and where I worked. They provided an immense service to the community.
Pros
food at meetings
Cons
too many policy changes
Not a fan
Employee (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 30, 2018
A Truth in nearly all departments:

Horrible management that mistreats employees. Directors that don't care and a New HR team that is struggling to keep up.

As an employee, you will find that those in lateral positions are great people, but the majority of management believes that you are expendable. Zero accountability at the top, every misstep is the fault of the line staff.

If you have experience in any other Nonprofit organization you will be miserable here. If this is your first experience, use this place as a stepping stone and get out.
Pros
Union, Set work schedule, friendly co-workers
Cons
Mdc
Great!
(Internship) Administration I (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 24, 2018
My location in particular had fabulous management! This company really cares about there employees and has lots of opportunities for pay raise. They were also great at meeting scheduling needs for me. I am a very busy person and sometimes can't work a lot. But they are amazing at accommodating hours for my crazy schedule. This is a great first job!
Pros
Great culture
Cons
No time off
Poor Management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 5, 2018
If you like structure, leadership, and competence than look elsewhere. MDC provides none of this. Management is clueless and there is no training or clarification on expectations. Terrible place to work. I would only work there again out of complete desperation.
I like working here.
Correctional Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 18, 2018
I appreciate the efforts of most team players. I enjoy caring for guests. I have learned more about caring for the guests who do not want to stay there but are court ordered to.
A good place to work but lacked opportunity
SENIOR ASSESSMENT WORKER/ ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 8, 2018
I enjoyed working at MDC, but the organization never had the budget to keep people on year around. I enjoy helping and meeting community members when I worked there, but due to poor management the organization is not thriving at potential.
Pros
Excellent non-profit to work for
Cons
Lacked money to grow its employees.
great people to work with..
ASSESSMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 28, 2018
They treat clients and co-worker with same respect and integrity.
Each workers try to collaborate to help the team to service client..
I find it very pleasant to go to work everyday and looking forward to help community.
Pros
nice work environment with great people and excellent training program
Cons
pay is not so strong and job is available for seasonal
The E&T is in the Red Zone
E&T Staff (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 22, 2018
Serving vulnerable clients while they're experiencing perhaps the worst period in their life is incredibly rewarding. Also rewarding is seeing these clients discharging back to the community, as these clients' mental health symptoms resulted in involuntary detainment. Working on an interdisciplinary team, flexible work hours, and working within an agency with a spectrum of services for the community's most in need are also pros. There is much room for growth at the E&T, as well as at MDC as a whole. The E&T currently lacks a director and clinical supervisor. Nepotism, gossip, and cliques run rampant, affecting professionalism and morale. Inadequate training, clinical oversight, and staffing is both a safety risk and an invitation for countless ethical violations, as some clients present with assaultive or self-injurious behavior because of mental health symptoms. High rate of recidivism can make working with clients all the more challenging. And the larger organization lacks a permanent CEO and HR director; a lot could be said about this. The onboarding process, particularly instatement of benefits, leaves a lot to be desired. Please adequately staff the E&T with competent professionals and paraprofessionals and provide these workers with thorough, evidenced-based clinical training and oversight. I believe this will greatly reduce burnout and turnover at the E&T. After all, it is cheaper to retain great talent than hiring new talent. The trickle-down effect should not be underestimated either; clients will suffer if workers suffer, and workers are suffering at the E&T.
Pros
Serving vulnerable clients, interdisciplinary team, and flexible work hours.
Cons
Inadequate leadership and staffing, high turnover and burnout, and high stress work environment with poor workplace culture.
Great job...wish I wasn't a temp
TRiO Education Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 5, 2018
This would be a great place to work, if I wasn't a temp employee. As a temp, I get no paid days off. Because my position is union, I must pay union dues, but I am not a member.
Enjoyable
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 23, 2017
There was a disconnect in management from what one manager expected and what the next wanted. This lead to some friction in meeting job expectations. Over all it was a supportive climate.
Pros
Regulare staff activities
Cons
Lack of communication at different levels of management
Made a difference in the community
Veteran Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 14, 2017
● Interviewed homeless clients and provide case management services.
● Worked with social service staff to identify and implement quality improvements to the delivery of homeless housing and support services
● Assist clients in securing entitlements such as VA benefits, SSI, AFDC, Food Stamps, and TANF, as well as other resources such as mental health care, chemical dependency treatment, housing, financial resources, and any other applicable community resources.
● Assess complex family situations
Enjoy the open unit and my co-workers
LPN (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 23, 2017
Good work environment and benefits. Most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with the patients and helping them and their families cope and understand their MH dx.
It was a great place to work
Housing Specialist/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 17, 2017
It was a great place to work and great people to work with. The staff worked cohesively to provide all aspects of support services to homeless and those who were previously homeless through services such as Education, Employment, Mental health and Healthcare for the homeless of Pierce County.
Pros
Providing services to the homeless community
Cons
Not enough time or resources to provide services to the masses of homelessness in Pierce County
Great community employer.
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 7, 2016
My day was spent assisting clients who needed weatherization measures done to their homes. I assisted them with gathering necessary documents, preparing for in home audits and what to expect during these audits, and answered questions they may have had during the process.
I also spent time communicating with contractors verifying that the people performing services for clients were 100 percent compliant with state and federal guidelines and that all employees had passed background checks prior to any contact with our clients.
Pros
Able to utilize organization skills to making office environment more efficiant.
Cons
I was an intern and my position was for a few short months.
Fair
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 23, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company many changes happened and I decided to look for more opportunities I would also recommend this company as an enjoyable place to work.
Professional and friendly work environment.
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 26, 2015
MDC offers great benefits and was all about helping there staff members succeed in their carers and would go out of there way to help and remove individuals from poverty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Development Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Metropolitan Development Council Reviews by Location