Metropolitan Market Employee Reviews

Fast-paced collaborative environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 29, 2018
The customers can be extremely demanding, but the majority of them become family. The management was problematic personally, as my experience is either they love you and you progress in the company, or you are not "in" and things are far more difficult for you.
Good culture, fast paced, experienced crew
Floater (Current Employee) –  Sammamish, WAAugust 21, 2018
Met Market, as a high end grocery store, has a positive culture for new employees or veteran journeyman workers. While a small local company, it is rapidly growing with the intent of being a true competitor and trend maker in an ever changing market. In your typical day of work at the MM, I feel great talking to my clientele, most of our product, while expensive, is very high quality. While I wish MM was larger, so that I could advance in my career, turnover is thankfully low and there's a high retention of good long term workers.
If you are Union, don't worry! So is MM, your wage will transfer so will your benefits.
Laid back
Night Crew Stocker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 19, 2018
I worked greveyard shift. The management was nice, the pay was great, the environment was great, my coworkers were mostly great. I just couldn't manage the hours and my toddler. It was really hard.
Pros
Free items each month, flexible schedules, easy going management, clean
Cons
night shift is not easy
Fast-paced with friendly employees
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at Metropolitan Market included bagging grocerceries, carrying bags to customer's cars and general housekeeping. Management is OK but the employees are fantastic and always have smiles on their faces. The hardest part of the job was having to multitask many things at once and the most enjoyable part of the job was creating relationships with my customers and employees.
Good job overall
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJuly 10, 2018
Great place to work! Fun and exciting, and plenty of opportunities to make the most out of your time there. The employees are great, and managers do a good job of creating a fun work environment.
Cons
Keep you just under full time to not provide benefits
no joke
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 27, 2018
Hard work fast paced and very much asked a lot of you all of the time.
a lot of turn over when you get to the younger age employee as well as newer employee esspeacially after holidays you can tell who is going to make it and who isn't. working their is no joke.
Pros
far pay and far brake time
Cons
very polital and hard to get rid of rude emplyopee
Productive but fun workplace, responsible management
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJune 8, 2018
The culture here was upbeat and everyone worked together well. I enjoyed my time here because of employees around me and sharing the culture of food appreciation with customers and fellow employees. There were benefits although pay was limited especially due to union fees. Perhaps not a very livable wage on its own, but a great place to work with professional conduct but a fun time. I felt management always had my back.
A good place to start
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 7, 2018
People working at MM are generally very nice - a group of fun people to work with. The company culture is healthy. Work hours vary but can be very stressful some time.
Great
Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 8, 2018
This company had a outstanding layout for customer service. Their dedication to serve is unmatched while always striving to do better on a daily basis.
A fun community
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 13, 2018
The management was good, and the atmosphere was great. I think Met Market has a good atmosphere and made for a nice place to work. There are usually a lot of different shifts available and types of job offers.
Brown Nosers
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 17, 2018
This company is run by people that started at the bottom. Although I think it's great that they reward loyalty , this leads to poor management and basically side-taking. If you end up working here don't upset anyone!
This company is good for High School Student
Market Deli Association (Former Employee) –  West Seattle, WAMarch 8, 2018
This company is a good working environment for High School Student to have a work and maintain their school. When you working in this company you will have a chance to enjoy their products. Metropolitan Market has a good selection of food and many other benefits for the employees.
I would recommend this company with details.
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2018
The people who work here are great.They make it a great place to work. Management can less than desirable depending what store you work at. Having a union helps keep management and corporate if you stand up for your rights.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management/coporate
Assistant Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 12, 2018
Lots of stress and very difficult customers. Co-workers were great people to work with and alot of fun. Alot was put on my shoulders and had alot of deadlines to meet.
Pros
Ugh
Cons
Ugh
Customer Service Based
CHECKER (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 9, 2018
Focused on putting customers first. Co-Workers are what makes this job great, but management can make you feel like your not necessarily valued day to day.
Easy place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sammamish, WADecember 2, 2017
management was laid back, easy to show your working ability and get recognized for it. helping the customers with everything was a huge expectation in my role.
Pros
free food, good discount, great coworkers
Cons
upper managemnet
Fast paced
Culinary Artist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 18, 2017
A family community among the staff. Co-workers support each other. Customer service is consistently provided. Discounts are provided to all employees.
Pros
Discount on private label products.
Cons
Parking
Great place to work with opportunities for advancement
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 8, 2017
Metropolitan Market was a great place to work with opportunities for advancement and great benefits. It has a positive environment and supportive work culture. Very sad to have to relocate and be unable to continue to work with my colleagues at Metropolitan Market.
Decent job with decent pay
Housewares Associate (Former Employee) –  West Seattle, WASeptember 13, 2017
Management can be difficult to deal with, as can customers, but for the pay and benefits, it's almost worth it depending on the position. Upper management could improve on communication, and some departments are severely understaffed because of this.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Management plays favorites
Stressful, busy, poor management, high turnover, no accountability
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 18, 2017
Very face paced business that caters to very snobby and needy customers. Customers can be very rude and dismissive. Very high turn over rate so new faces constantly. Business practices a throw away concept of employees. Management at my location was awful. No accountability on managements part. Management creates a atmosphere of back stabbing,misdirection, and no accountability. I felt like I was working in an episode of Game of Thrones. Company provides great benefits in the form of medical, dental, some PTO, and discounts. Company can also make you feel like a herded cattle that has been brought in to work and that you cannot be fully trusted as an employee. Clock in machine was changed three separate times at my location in 6 months. It was finally upgraded to a hand print reading machine at the end because that is how little they trust employees and the time clock. Corporate is very aloof and only comes into the stores to stand around in grey slacks and tucked in oxford shirts. You get the feeling that they don't actually care about the employees.
Pros
Good benefits and discount
Cons
Poor management, aloof corporate office, busy, rude and needy customers, high turn over rate, hectic